Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

poo poo, another candidate that tells Dominion Power to gently caress off? Its Christmas in February. Put me in the game coach. Point to where you need some boots and I am there.

I know he signed the pledge not to take fossil fuel money but don't know much about him other than that. I don't live in the district, and so I didn't really follow the primary too closely. But he's a far-left Millennial who dark-horsed his way into a primary victory against the former mayor of Herndon and the head of the local NAACP (the two "Establishment" candidates)

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In Arizona, the parties had their state conventions to elect new leaders.

The AZ GOP picked Kelli "Chemtrail" Ward.

This'll be fun.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jackson Taus posted:

Actually, that's a lie. My favorite part is that David Yancey (the guy who won b/c his name got pulled out of a hat)'s district got bluer, and he's got a rematch against Shelley Simonds (who tied him last time). That one will be fun.

How the gently caress did I forget this happened? I watched it and it's still unbelievable.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In Arizona, the parties had their state conventions to elect new leaders.

The AZ GOP picked Kelli "Chemtrail" Ward.

This'll be fun.

Putting her in a relatively behind-the-scenes position where she can't run for office is probably a net positive for the Arizona GOP.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

How the gently caress did I forget this happened? I watched it and it's still unbelievable.

not a hat! a bowl that was made by a Virginian artist and oh god just get on with it this is agony.

that was the weirdest tense moment ever in 2017 where the person running it just seemed to have no clue that all we wanted was for the pick to happen.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

axeil posted:

not a hat! a bowl that was made by a Virginian artist and oh god just get on with it this is agony.

that was the weirdest tense moment ever in 2017 where the person running it just seemed to have no clue that all we wanted was for the pick to happen.

I think the Electoral Board knew, but (a) this is basically the only time an Electoral Board gets national attention without loving up, so they were milking it, and (b) both sides were already six-figures-deep in legal bills so everyone took it slow to avoid legal complaints or misunderstandings.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1089896464367738880

The 2019 elections can't come soon enough. So sick of the VA GOP.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Any Kentucky goons who can give us the lowdown on the Governors race? I remember hearing about the D challenger polling ahead, and Mr. Bevin was in the news today for calling school children wimps and making that Chud Queen who refused to do her job and let people get married pay up to those she wronged. Made me curious.

(also the thought of a competitive governors race allows me to dream of KY-Sen being an actual fight in 2020. No skull would be sweeter to put on a pike than Mitch)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sanguinia posted:

Any Kentucky goons who can give us the lowdown on the Governors race? I remember hearing about the D challenger polling ahead, and Mr. Bevin was in the news today for calling school children wimps and making that Chud Queen who refused to do her job and let people get married pay up to those she wronged. Made me curious.

(also the thought of a competitive governors race allows me to dream of KY-Sen being an actual fight in 2020. No skull would be sweeter to put on a pike than Mitch)

Last time he was polled before the 2018 non-gubernatorial election, Matt Bevin was the 4th least popular governor within his own state in the entire country. In that time, two of the people below him in the rankings have ceased being governors. He is aggressively unpopular, even among Republicans.

let me put it this way: when you google his name, in the top five suggested searches is "Is Matt Bevin a Democrat?"

EDIT: he's already got three Republicans trying to primary him. On the democratic side, the presumed front-runner is Andy Beshear, current Attorney General and son of the last governor. The only time the race was polled, Beshear was up by 8 points, but it's too far out to tell.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 31, 2019

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
:rip: Northam

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1091449852540739585

One of the few times in history where it's probably better (maybe?) to be the guy in blackface (because otherwise he's the guy in a loving KLAN ROBE)

unfucking believable

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 1, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the people at Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! Posting LLC have prepared the following statement

"lol"

that is all

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
remember, kids, gotta go for the moderate democrats. the ones who don't have any stances that might turn off swing voters.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
oh dang welp so much for his chances at being re-elected governor of virginia

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
if he steps down we get Fairfax and it's gonna be lit

edit 2/12/19: wow, this post aged poorly, I apologize to all victims of sexual assault, the allegations hadn't to my attention when I posted this, I'm really sorry

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 12, 2019

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
lmfao. never support moderates

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

oh dang welp so much for his chances at being re-elected governor of virginia

:lol:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if he steps down we get Fairfax and it's gonna be lit

If this happens, would Fairfax be eligible to run again in 2021 or would he technically be term limited?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Handsome Ralph posted:

:lol:

If this happens, would Fairfax be eligible to run again in 2021 or would he technically be term limited?

according to the USPol thread the constitution explicitly says 'elected' and has nothing about taking the office as a line of succession so he'd have grounds to try at least

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

sexpig by night posted:

according to the USPol thread the constitution explicitly says 'elected' and has nothing about taking the office as a line of succession so he'd have grounds to try at least

Yep, you can't get elected for the term after one you were elected to, but succeeding doesn't count! The us Constitution contains some language clarifying the situation but ours doesn't so all hail six year darkness of Lord Fairfax I guess

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Quorum posted:

Yep, you can't get elected for the term after one you were elected to, but succeeding doesn't count! The us Constitution contains some language clarifying the situation but ours doesn't so all hail six year darkness of Lord Fairfax I guess

it's gonna own bones if the right trying to get an anti-abortion hysteria started winds up ousting a lovely gov no one likes and replacing him with a guy with actual progressive cred for longer than one term.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Still though poor Kathy Tran's got it rough from these fucks but she got elected to her house seat with like 61% of the vote in 2017 so I can't see them actually ousting her

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Governor Fairfax would be such a massive upgrade in every way.

Also how did 2017 Breitbart muckrakers miss THIS

In the god damned summer of Charlottesville even

People were so committed to Kill Rape Control that they didn’t even think to look until Baby Killer Week?

What a weird thing to come home to

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Still though poor Kathy Tran's got it rough from these fucks but she got elected to her house seat with like 61% of the vote in 2017 so I can't see them actually ousting her

Her district is southern Beltway. She’d have to be filmed eating the baby.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Also uh are VA republicans hoping that this and the anti-abortion bullshit will depress Dem turnout or some poo poo

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Also uh are VA republicans hoping that this and the anti-abortion bullshit will depress Dem turnout or some poo poo

yeah this whole thing is really bizarre. they're repealing a law that had no effect because scotus already knocked it down (rightly).

and now the right's shrieking hot ball of white rage decides the real way to get revenge on the guy who signed the bill is to...sink him and ensure the ascension of his lt. governor who is a literal planned parenthood donor and more popular than the governor.

do they somehow think that's going to help them this year? :psyduck:

the VA GOP is reaching Florida Dems level of incompetent.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It’s VA GOP. They’re powered by enthusiastic brain worms.

This is the same bunch that decided that sanctuary city vote trap would be what sunk Northam, and even his big stupid mouth meant he only won by nine and a half points. In a better world, Perriello wins the primary and wins by double digits.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I moved from Virginia a while ago but if y'all could just Bob goodlatte already that'd be great, thanks

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Came here to see Virginia Dem despair.
Turns out quite the opposite lol.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Grape posted:

Came here to see Virginia Dem despair.
Turns out quite the opposite lol.

Democrats, have standards.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

Democrats, have standards.

It was my ignorance of local Virginia politics that I thought this meant the GOP would rush in, but turns out it means young black Lt. Governor takes his place potentially.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Grape posted:

It was my ignorance of local Virginia politics that I thought this meant the GOP would rush in, but turns out it means young black Lt. Governor takes his place potentially.

The black pulsating vortex of Lefty Hatred is calling for Northam's blood more than the Right and they're currently confused about why no one gives a poo poo about the abortion bill of a sudden.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They were clearly hoping to get a 'The Dems are the real racists!' win but lol.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Taerkar posted:

They were clearly hoping to get a 'The Dems are the real racists!' win but lol.

Right now the VA GOP is acting like a dog does when you pretend to throw a ball. It sits, kinda cocks its head to one side, and whines a little, confused.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Crabtree posted:

The black pulsating vortex of Lefty Hatred is calling for Northam's blood more than the Right and they're currently confused about why no one gives a poo poo about the abortion bill of a sudden.

Oh no I expected the Left to call for the right thing, like more or less with Franken. I was just thinking about how upsetting the whole thing still would be to the Virginians still trying to put together a fragile new blue state... but uh turns out it owns even from a practical angle

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Here's why I'm finding a reason to be hopeful today:

The Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, who becomes governor when the incumbent resigns, is Justin Fairfax, a strong progressive and the great-great-great-grandson of an enslaved man. He took his oath of office with his ancestor's manumission papers in his pocket.

This summer, we're recognizing the 400th anniversary of a lot of things, among them the first meeting of the General Assembly, and the arrival of the first enslaved Africans to English America. There'll be a ceremony, and a wreath laying. And it keeps running through my head what it would mean to have a descendent of slaves laying that wreath.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Yeah, honestly I am glad the knives immediately came out. Any delay and it would not only be morally reprehensible, but would crush 2019 turnout. Fairfax is prob already measuring the windows for drapes. This back fired spectacularly for the GOP because now everyone has forgotten about "INFANTICIDE" and now they will have the 2nd Gov resignation in the history of VA paving the way for their worst nightmare lol

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Grape posted:

Oh no I expected the Left to call for the right thing, like more or less with Franken. I was just thinking about how upsetting the whole thing still would be to the Virginians still trying to put together a fragile new blue state... but uh turns out it owns even from a practical angle

I mean I think a lot of us feel really hurt right now. We busted our asses for Ralph Northam in 2017 (and 2013 in some cases) and we feel like he betrayed us.

But that's the important thing - he betrayed us. The leaders in the Democratic Party are doing the right thing in pushing him out. There will be a lot of bumps in the road but we'll come out of this strong in time for the 2019 elections.

friendbot2000 posted:

Yeah, honestly I am glad the knives immediately came out. Any delay and it would not only be morally reprehensible, but would crush 2019 turnout. Fairfax is prob already measuring the windows for drapes. This back fired spectacularly for the GOP because now everyone has forgotten about "INFANTICIDE" and now they will have the 2nd Gov resignation in the history of VA paving the way for their worst nightmare lol

I mean I don't know what time the swearing in is, but Northam's resigning at 10AM.

EDIT: The crazy thing is how some folks just got REKT by this through not fault of their own. A ton of folks on Northam's staff and in his PAC are probably about to end up redundant (I think Fairfax has his own spokesperson, he's got his own strategists and political folks, etc). But at least Presidentials are still staffing up - poor AG Mark Herring agreed to clear the field for Northam in 2017 and run for AG again with the understanding that he'd get help in the 2021 Gov primary. Sounds like he's gonna top out at AG now - Fairfax will be sitting Gov in 2021 and eligible for reelection.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 2, 2019

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

What the gently caress was the infanticide poo poo about anyways? I know it's abortion related but was Northam pushing a new law or something?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Handsome Ralph posted:

What the gently caress was the infanticide poo poo about anyways? I know it's abortion related but was Northam pushing a new law or something?

GOP needs a culture war issue since their president is making GBS threads all over himself in public daily to remind the rubes that they are selling their souls for fascist judges.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I get that, but what specifically mad them go after Northam?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

A law that was invalidated by a 2016 court ruling was being repealed and Northam signed it. the new law allows for abortion in cases where there's no hope of life, like a kid with no brain or lungs or whatever out of human empathy for the child and mother not having to go through with that. They had previously banned this sort of thing and scotus said "nope, you can't do that, it's an undue restriction"

The GOP of course screamed about it because they're pro agonizing, pointless death and mental trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I get that, but what specifically mad them go after Northam?

In Virginia, 3rd trimester abortions can only happen when 3 separate doctors say that they're medically necessary. A Democratic bill wanted to reduce that down to only 1 doctor saying it's medically necessary. The same bill was up in 2018, but 2019 is an election year and the RPV needs something to run on.