Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
That is a fat hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Nah it's just the angle I was holding it at

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I realize most people here are dudes but does anyone have recommendations for womens hiking pants? My wife gets really frustrated looking for hiking stuff because most brands don't take into account hips. Currently my wife has to use running tights

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Has she popped into an REI to try on pants?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Has she popped into an REI to try on pants?

we don't have one near us so she's probably gonna order online a few pairs and send back what doesn't fit

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
my favorite brand of hiking pant is Prana, and I think the core of their product line is yoga clothes for ladies, so they probably have some good options

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

we don't have one near us so she's probably gonna order online a few pairs and send back what doesn't fit

Try Sierratradingpost.com. they sell pants for cheap

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I realize most people here are dudes but does anyone have recommendations for womens hiking pants? My wife gets really frustrated looking for hiking stuff because most brands don't take into account hips. Currently my wife has to use running tights

My wife usually hikes in running tights with a hiking skirt for pockets. There a few brands out there, my wife likes craghoppers. Seconding REI and Sierra Trading Post. Women's outdoor clothing is a bit of a poo poo show though, especially for off sizes and if you need pockets.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Was snowshoeing up to a lake today when the weather turned awful and we decided to turn around. Took this one much further down the canyon as a consolation prize.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPF4-ReK7AA

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Man those are some oooollllldddd rear end machine guns.

Finally took pics of my redid 14.5" AK. Now with less Midwest Industries forend and more Zhukov.

And without the can.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've always wanted an AK like that, who makes it?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That one is an Arsenal SGL-21. Arsenal takes the sporter Saigas and converts them to proper normal looking AKs.

And then I got my hands on it and went hackin and whackin and smackin :q:

I'm not sure the SGL-21s are that readily available anymore since that Russian arms import ban happened. But tbh I don't notice a difference in accuracy/functionality between it and my Romanian WASR-10 (Waldo.) If you start with any solid basic AK built by underpaid communist labor, you can build it up into whatever you want. I still haven't seen any US-made AKs that inspire confidence beyond Krebs or Rifle Dynamics, and at that rate you're paying out the nose to begin with.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
is 7.62 commonly available?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

7.62x39? poo poo yeah. It's like $170/1000 on average.

Only down side is most of it has bimetal jacketed rounds, which wears steel targets faster. Most competition matches won't let you use it as a result.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It's 5.45 for an AK-74 clone that's hard (comparatively) to get these days

AKs are cool

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

any recommendations for a handheld gps that works on regular batteries?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I have one of these things that I got for $50 off of Craigslist. Takes AA batteries: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Waterproof-Hiking-GPS/dp/B00003WGP5

I don't use any of the tracking features and it can't load maps. Just turn it on when I need my grid coordinates to check on the map and turn it back off when I'm done. You can even set it to MGRS coordinate mode if you're too lazy/indoctrinated to learn civilian GPS coordinate systems. Which is fine, cause that still works with the National Geographic topo maps.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

eTtex 20x has been my go-to. I got really good battery life with it, and I like being able to design routes and such with the BaseCamp app.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Evil Kermit meme template:
"You know, I really spent far too much on that .22LR Savage bolt action a few years ago. That was a pretty ridiculous amount of money for a .22."
"Sell it and DOUBLE DOWN ON THAT poo poo."

50y, 10 shot groups, prone off the bipod/monopod. Eley yellow box target ammo.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cool rifle but ARFCOM? :chloe:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Those targets came free with some Larue purchase I made. I'd never deliberately spend money for something arfcom branded.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you accidentally did, you could do worse than putting it down range and shooting at it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Why .22 instead of like .17 hmr or something? Also what ammo do you use in that?

PookBear fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 4, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The best groups I was getting that day were with Eley yellow box target ammo.

Went 22 instead of 17 because it's more readily available, I already have a pile of it, and subsonic ammo is easy to get.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Went to Vedauwoo yesterday and no one broke any ankles or anything!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I got some of those Magpul softshell pants on clearance sale and they're so comfy. They feel like wearing nothin' at all.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

stupid sexy geardo

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EBB posted:

stupid sexy geardo

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Winchester is recalling three lots of 38 special ammo.

Screenshot of the recall notice

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Went to Bosque del Apache a couple weeks ago and caught the Sandhill Cranes passing through.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MonkeyWash posted:

Went to Bosque del Apache a couple weeks ago and caught the Sandhill Cranes passing through.

ribeye of the sky, I've heard

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

DownByTheWooter posted:

ribeye of the sky, I've heard

I think killing one would get you drawn and quartered in Nebraska.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
What's a decent set of back up iron sights for a AR platform?

The rifle is going to be used for general plinking purposes.

Also what's the consensus on Aero Precision uppers

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Aero is fine as far as their stripped uppers, I have two that I used for builds and they're fine. I assume their complete uppers are fine too, but I haven't used one.

I really like the Magpul MBUS PRO backup sights. If those are too pricey, the regular MBUS are totally fine.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Syrian Lannister posted:

back up iron sights

The rifle is going to be used for general plinking purposes.

Honestly why bother? Unless you want to be able to shoot with ironsights for funsies it's just extra weight you'll never use.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MonkeyWash posted:

Bosque del Apache is awesome. Went there several years back for the Snow Goose migrations.

This is not my video, but we witnessed essentially this taking place. Plus lots of cranes, various fancy ducks, herons, egrets, and a big-rear end badger trucking along at an impressive speed along the side of a ditch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hcLnPawzyg

Waking up so early that it's basically the middle of the night to get there before sunrise: less awesome.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 10, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Had my last day volunteering at the NC aquarium at Fort Fisher, prior to me moving to FL. Dove with morays, with sharks, and of course, mermaids 😎

This is Shelldon. He was a late hatch in the nesting season, and ended up with a case of turtle pneumonia that left him in rehab so long he became acclimated to it, so now he stays with us. He’s a green sea turtle, and ~7 years old. He also wins the award for most boopable turtle snoot.

Our big green moray was interested in divers and mermaids alike (because they’re blind as all hell). He’s probably 6ft long, if he ever comes out of the crevice he likes to hide in.

This is the guy who did my checkout dives there 2 years ago. He’s a former SF guy that got blown up one time too many, so he moved to the beach to take a few college classes here and there and also dive the aquarium a few times a week.

The mermaids themselves came from the Weeki Wachee spring, in FL. They’ve got a show down there that they run a few times a day, and have been doing so since the 1940’s. Their hoses are different than scuba regulators, and awkward to breathe off of. A normal scuba reg lets you breathe more or less normally, it just through your mouth. Theirs are hoses with an on/off switch that has to be manually switched, and then it’s like breathing off of a free flowing regulator (if that regulator was forcing its air through a straw). They’re breathing off of that, they can’t see anything (they don’t dive with any masks/contacts/etc, and their eyes are always open), and they’re not wearing any thermal protection. They would come out shivering hard after a 20min show at our aquarium.

Kourtney:

Julia:

Charlene:

Brittany (and me!):

(I didn’t take this one, all others are mine)

And to round it out, a 6 year old bald eagle that had his broken wing heal wrong, and can’t fly (so he stays with us too). He also casts his judgement upon any who stray too close.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Shelldon is a v good boy.

Got my America The Beautiful pass in yesterday. So far for the year the following parks are a go:

Joshua Tree
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone
Rocky Mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Did you get the annual or lifetime pass? Cause apparently if your VA ID says service connected on it, you can get the lifetime disabled pass. That's what a ranger at Olympic told me, even though I only have 10%. Didn't even ask, was just using my VA ID when at the gate cause it's easier to get out of my wallet than my driver's license.