Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you really wanna stay close to them as much as possible and strafe. usually you will have to roll their attacks but as you circle around sometimes you can make them whiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

you really wanna stay close to them as much as possible and strafe. usually you will have to roll their attacks but as you circle around sometimes you can make them whiff.

Yeah, I figured that out after a while since they can just close the distance with a teleport anyway. The main issue now is when the mage brother spams homing missiles, and then they port in close/behing to attack. Defending against the sword and the darts together is a bit of a crap shoot.

I've learned that you pretty much have to give up close attack opportunities to heal; if you try to evade and gain distance, they will surge/port forward and hit you, and you'll barely recover any life.

TL;DR - Teleporting bosses were bullshit ib Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner and are still bullshit. Why must the best games hurt me so good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sephyr posted:

I've learned that you pretty much have to give up close attack opportunities to heal; if you try to evade and gain distance, they will surge/port forward and hit you, and you'll barely recover any life.
Is- is this not how you heal in every boss fight in the game

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Is- is this not how you heal in every boss fight in the game

In my experience, not from close up. For all other bosses, getting distance was pretty safe a way to pop an estus and find the next opening.

Half the times I try to gain distance from the Wondertwins, they instantly close it with a teleport and press the offensive.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You gotta figure out the timing on the teleport, it's not as tricky as it seems

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Defending against the sword and the darts together is a bit of a crap shoot.

Just run behind the pillars and they'll eat most of the missiles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is it worht going down to the lower part of the Painted World? I keep falling off the roots. Why does DS always have parts where you have to walk across narrow roots?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

twistedmentat posted:

Is it worht going down to the lower part of the Painted World? I keep falling off the roots. Why does DS always have parts where you have to walk across narrow roots?

There are some good rewards down there, but IIRC there's also another path that doesn't involve using the roots. Check the opposite cliff face.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are some good rewards down there, but IIRC there's also another path that doesn't involve using the roots. Check the opposite cliff face.

Oh good. Because holy poo poo trying to avoiding the exploding arrows when you can't dodge at all is bullshit.

I see a ladder, but not how to get to it. wait you can't get to that ladder, there isn't a way to drop to it at all.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 29, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can dodge as long as you've got root in front of you!

Generally speaking if you keep moving you're fine.
I don't remember there being another way down. There's a ladder which is a way back up once you get down there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally got down there, i managed to get close enough to the ground so when I got knocked off I didn't die. Going to clear out the smouldering lake, If I can beat Painted World that should be easy to clear out.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Thanks for the tips everyone. Managed to get the 30 swordgrass through SL25 invasions with an irithyll straight sword and a grass crest shield. Now I can actually progress through the game+sidequests by grabbing the last dark sigil. Cleared up to the abyss watchers, and have a whole bunch of souls just waiting to be spent.

Now to do moundmakers, and figure out parry timings.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 29, 2019

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
So just a heads up, now would be a good time to also try and get your 30 proofs for the blues while people are more likely to be using the Way of Blue and getting invaded in the swamp.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Vermain posted:

Just run behind the pillars and they'll eat most of the missiles.

I tried! Most of the time it's the cue for them to flicker over to the side and give my armpit a poke. Do the pillars block the ultimate holy beam, though?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
IIRC you just gotta roll the ultimate holy beam.

Keep in mind it does have travel time so you wanna roll slightly later if they're farther away.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The easiest way to deal with the holy beam is to just run up next to him and dodge to the side. Be aware that he recovers almost instantly after casting it, though, so it's not usually a good time to get a hit in.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I beat the base game and I am doing the DLC right now. I used a heavy great club for most of the game because it smashes things good. If I wanted to switch up weapons to do the DLC, whats a good replacement for a +10 heavy great club? I have 40 str and only like 12 or 15 dex. Is Smoughs hammer worth using? I don't have Vordt's because I ate the soul when I was a stupid newb and didn't know about boss weapons.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Great sword is good.

Once you duck into the 2nd dlc, you can buy splitleaf greatsword which is probably the best Str weapon in the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would say just go through your weapons list and see which of them receive good str scaling when you heavy infuse them (or already have good scaling). And then swing them around a bit before you make the decision to see what you like. There's a shitton of str weapons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

I beat the base game and I am doing the DLC right now. I used a heavy great club for most of the game because it smashes things good. If I wanted to switch up weapons to do the DLC, whats a good replacement for a +10 heavy great club? I have 40 str and only like 12 or 15 dex. Is Smoughs hammer worth using? I don't have Vordt's because I ate the soul when I was a stupid newb and didn't know about boss weapons.

If you want another big clobbering stick, the Spiked Mace has a fantastic gimmick: R1->L2->R1 is a true combo, and the weapon's attacks apply bleed that stacks with Carthus Rouge.

Also it looks badass.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 29, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Spiked mace is also very light for its class, and is I think the best greathammer if you wanna infuse sharp and go dex.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
God help me, I’m getting the urge to play Dark Souls 3. How cheap can I get this game on PC with all the DLC?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

God help me, I’m getting the urge to play Dark Souls 3. How cheap can I get this game on PC with all the DLC?

if you want it from a legit place, it looks like the base game is still $60, which is hilarious because a physical copy on consoles with all the DLC is like $20

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yes! Twin princes down.

Turns out, the solution was not to pack less sword, but MORE sword. Replaced the Cathedral sword with Fume, and the extra bit of reach, as well as a better roll+poke combo, made things considerably easier. Had to shed a fair bit of armor to pull it off, but being able to avoid being hit more than made up for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait until the next Steam sale, they often have DS3 for pretty cheap. I think I pay 30bux for it last year?

Aldrich, remember he has a tail that you can attack. That's how I did it. Also I'd highly recommend the Astora Great Sword. That thing is amazing for str builds. I used it fire infused for a huge amount of the game. It was either that or the Hollowslayer sword.

I was thinking about this, but this is the first game I didn't make all the boss weapons. Like the Decons one? That looked like rear end, so I still have the soul sitting in my inventory.

So I cleared out the Smouldering Lake. I know the Demon King is one of the easier bosses, but holy poo poo he went down like a bitch. I know you can hobble him by attacking his legs, but I didn't realize that it could wreck him so quickly.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about this, but this is the first game I didn't make all the boss weapons. Like the Decons one? That looked like rear end, so I still have the soul sitting in my inventory.

I have taken a sorcerer to over sl200 and yes that weapon will always be a dumb fun gimmick. There is one other weapon that has the same weapon art: that is, the candles light up. Unfortunately you cannot dual wield and have both candles lit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

asio posted:

I have taken a sorcerer to over sl200 and yes that weapon will always be a dumb fun gimmick. There is one other weapon that has the same weapon art: that is, the candles light up. Unfortunately you cannot dual wield and have both candles lit.

At what point does summoning for bosses really become impossible? Over SL100? 120?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Basebf555 posted:

At what point does summoning for bosses really become impossible? Over SL100? 120?

I have found that sl110 +10 is about the sweet spot for matching up to the sl125 meta and down to the typical end-game sl of 90-100. Both for jolly cooperation and invasions/dried finger runs. Sl125 is the "meta" but because the game is old it is only really reliable for duels. I think the new metas are sl140/150 (because if you gank at that level you'll pick up sl125 invaders) and sl90 (which is where you find role playing characters with fun names and the fashion ring). Sl91 will match you up to the sl120 meta while still keeping in the sl90 role playing range. This is mostly for invasions though, it is my understanding that jolly cooperation and auto invasion covenants are more generous.

I heard once the claim that sl50 +8 is the best build to get the widest spread possible for coop/pvp areas but that was a few years ago and there have been matchmaking patches since then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

+8 seems high for SL 50

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

+8 seems high for SL 50

It takes advantage of the fact that you can invade upwards quite significantly, it was for a dedicated invader build to try and cover most of the mid game. Otherwise invader builds usually need to be designed for a specific area or two. But like I said the video I saw on it was before the last matchmaking patch. I think it was Nyff and his streamlined german engineering approach to build making and was min-maxed to the extreme.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you want another big clobbering stick, the Spiked Mace has a fantastic gimmick: R1->L2->R1 is a true combo, and the weapon's attacks apply bleed that stacks with Carthus Rouge.

Also it looks badass.

I have a sl32 build that uses the spiked mace with a barbed straight sword offhand. Tons of fun, though you don't really have enough stamina at that level to combo all that often.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm at like SL90 right now, but I've never really taken a INT/FTH build all the way and I feel like I need to go up to probably SL110 or 120 to really do that properly. I basically want to be able to sling any spell or miracle in the game so 45/45 for INT/FTH is required.

But at the same time, bosses have never been my strong suit in this game and I'm really not interested in banging my head against them in NG+ so I want to still have the option of summoning.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm at like SL90 right now, but I've never really taken a INT/FTH build all the way and I feel like I need to go up to probably SL110 or 120 to really do that properly. I basically want to be able to sling any spell or miracle in the game so 45/45 for INT/FTH is required.

But at the same time, bosses have never been my strong suit in this game and I'm really not interested in banging my head against them in NG+ so I want to still have the option of summoning.

There are plenty of NPC summons around (even if you need a wiki to find most of them).

The best part of having a healthy faith stat is vow of silence for Aldrich (his arrow attack is a spell)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

asio posted:

There are plenty of NPC summons around (even if you need a wiki to find most of them).

The best part of having a healthy faith stat is vow of silence for Aldrich (his arrow attack is a spell)

Yea I wish I had know Gael was available for the fight with Friede, because that one suuuuuucked. Funny i had the easiest time with the 2nd stage because they share a lifebar, so I could focus attacks on the big guy and just work to avoid hers. Friede is totally like a reincarnation of Nashandra from DS2 isn't she? They fondle their scythes in the same way. Also, that scythe is just silly. While you have the weapon arts up, you can stunlock enemies, even some bosses. I hosed up the grave warden while using it. I was told it was actually nerfed from how it was when the DLC was first released.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just did Friede and managed to summon two other people for it and it gets pretty easy when she's practically constantly staggered.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Pussy Quipped posted:

Sorry if I'm late to the party but let me introduce you to my friend, the Fume Knight Ultra Greatsword

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Where do you get that? I know I can't get everything, but I at least want to try to find stuff like that. Lightning Spear is another thing I wonder where it is. I've been using Gnaw a lot though, but the other offensive miracle I have kinda sucks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
FUGS is down in the demon ruins. If you get to the big ballista then you took a wrong turn.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Where do you get that? I know I can't get everything, but I at least want to try to find stuff like that. Lightning Spear is another thing I wonder where it is. I've been using Gnaw a lot though, but the other offensive miracle I have kinda sucks.

have you found the Old Wolf of Farron? if not, check the giant tower in the middle of Farron Keep swamp and look around the bridge above the tower for a bit; you'll find Lightning Spear there, along with an old friend. A Stray Demon!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

FUGS is down in the demon ruins. If you get to the big ballista then you took a wrong turn.
Specifically, a npc invader has it. he's next to the lava hazard.