Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

This is the face of someone who knows exactly what she just did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao Trinity's gagged whisper of 'best friends ...' when Ru reveals Latrice and Manila are in the bottom

also can frances be a permanent judge tia

e: ^^^^ and I LIVE

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also I think Trinity should have been top over Monet. Why put such emphasis on the performance for once, it never mattered before lol

poo poo at least show us them rehearsing if it's gonna matter

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Wow!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Eej posted:

Also Naomi defending her shady behaviour in the preview by saying "Life's not fair." when she's a gay PoC is :ironicat:

Life's gotta be pretty cushy for young queers nowadays if they feel comfortable trotting that ol' phrase out

Nuclear take

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ahahahaha!

garthoneeye posted:

The only way I see Manilla losing is if she lands in the bottom and the top queen actually pulls her lipstick or if they bring back the jury and Manilla doesn’t make it into the final choice. I can’t see Ru picking any queen over Manilla right now.

Trinity or Naomi could reasonably win if they start stepping up in challenges.

Holy cow, you done curst this television show!

Also: I just wanna luxuriate in Patty's hair.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Waaaah that episode! I don't blame Naomi as much as I blame the judges (tho still blame her too!)! Monet should have been in the bottom with Latrice. They barely showed this 'amazing performance' monet apparently did, and when she was on screen I was dazzled by the bright white glow from Pattys face, he looked like a mime artist, and no-one mentioned it!!!

Also some Twitter police think money may have voted the same way! https://twitter.com/nikolab1991/status/1091571135899226112?s=19

nerd_of_prey fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 2, 2019

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

TEAM NAOMI

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Pinwiz11 posted:

TEAM NAOMI

Word.

club 96

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Actually yeah, I was originally Team Trinity, then slowly but surely went over to Team Manila, but now you know what?

Pinwiz11 posted:

TEAM NAOMI

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I don’t think she’ll win, but I’m gonna be Team Monique for a while.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
my thoughts and opinions after watching drag race post wake-and-bake as usual:

Beginning of episode: "RuPaul's best friend race!" :kimchi:

End of epiode: "WHAT. BURN IT TO THE GROUND." :black101:

Genuinely kind of bummed to see Manila leave because he's always been a favorite of mine with regard to his looks and skill, and I think he didn't deserve it based on past record, but in terms of runway outfit being interesting he deserved to be in the bottom (but didn't deserve to be the one going home from the bottom). It definitely made for :eyepop: TV and was a good interesting strategic move on Naomi's part.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 2, 2019

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
K we do not yet have the new episode here in Europa, friends.

I will throw my hair into the loving RAFTERS if it's not up soon.

...are we not spoiler-tagging anymore? It's okay if we're not, I just want to watch this season as it happens because it's my FIRST CHANCE EVER!!!!! so if not, I can just avoid the thread when I need to. Nbd.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

K we do not yet have the new episode here in Europa, friends.

I will throw my hair into the loving RAFTERS if it's not up soon.

...are we not spoiler-tagging anymore? It's okay if we're not, I just want to watch this season as it happens because it's my FIRST CHANCE EVER!!!!! so if not, I can just avoid the thread when I need to. Nbd.

Spoiler tags for actual spoilers, like the boot order for next season that I'm sure is floating around out there.

No spoiler tags for episodes that are airing or have aired. If you know that a new episode is up, stay away from the thread until you're ready.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Nihonniboku posted:

Spoiler tags for actual spoilers, like the boot order for next season that I'm sure is floating around out there.

No spoiler tags for episodes that are airing or have aired. If you know that a new episode is up, stay away from the thread until you're ready.

It's weirdly late; it's been coming on at the same time and day as the US since the season started. I only popped into the thread to check because I figured it was delayed everywhere and thought someone in here might know why. Anyways, I didn't see anything- just wanted to ask what the policy was.

E: Team Naomi, anyways!!! :swoon:

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 2, 2019

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

DRThailand is the one show that doesn't follow the "no spoiler tags after broadcast" rule because of the time it takes to translate the episodes.

We'll have to discuss what we want to do with DRUK when the time comes, but let's see when it airs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://old.reddit.com/r/rupaulsdragrace/comments/amg2z3/spoilers_manilas_live_reaction_to_this_weeks/

What the gently caress?? Thorgy.... good?

(Also Henny ready to stab a mf)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Thorgy owns. She's the only one who voted for Shangela despite having the best reason not to.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Realtime thoughts with whiskey:

Patty did not seem to enjoy Ru's "Top o' the mornin' to ya" very much.

I think Ru brought Latrice back specifically to feature this story.

The Judy song and dance was so regimented that it was boring.

I thought Monique's concept was pretty clever. Not sure why they needed to switch eyes, but the whole joint costume thing was cool.

Manila's runway was decent, but not amazing.

I just loved Naomi's runway idea and execution. Clever, silly, and still glamorous.

Latrice/Alexis didn't really impress me. Alexis in particular seemed like her face was being eaten by her wig like a drag sarlacc.

gently caress me I wasn't crazy about Manila's thing but I did not see her being in the bottom two. Similarly I thought Monet's was good but I didn't see her being in the top.

I'm crazy about both Latrice and Manila but if it's down to performance there's no goddamn contest this season. At this point I'm sick to my rear end of hearing how much someone wants to be there and I really just want to see someone who earns it.

This has come up before but just Naomi saying she was watching Drag Race in junior high really floors me. In multiple ways.

Ahahaha these have to be the two most radically different takes on the same song we've ever had.

Dear Naomi, re: your decision, WHAT IN THE GODDAMN gently caress?

This extremely sucks. Honestly nobody left in this season is better than Manila so I kinda don't care what happens past this point unless she comes back.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

caligulamprey posted:

Also: I just wanna luxuriate in Patty's hair.

I would do terrible things to Patty.

Terrible Things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Looking at the general reaction to yesterday's episode I feel kinda alienated from the fanbase because what they want and what I like is completely different and judging by AS3 and AS4 the producers lean more towards them. I feel really stupid now thinking that wanting queens to improve and succeed meant anything when what really pulls the fanbase is messy drama. Idk I guess I'm just sad realizing that Drag Race isn't meant for me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The general reaction seems to be people being pissed and sending Naomi tons of hate so

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Naomi is so amazing. 1st; I love that she completely pivoted away from her safe plan. She probably could have done the cute frilly thing she was first planning on and do fine; she won the makeover challenge on her season, right? But the fact that she went for boy drag and comedy on top of her already really solid drag was AMAZING. I love Naomi so much. I hope she wins the whole drat thing. And the BALLS on her for eliminate the front runner!! :allears: Yeah back on the Naomi train.

The lipsync outfit she wore is probably one of my favorite outfits I've ever seen on RPDR.

I'm happy for Monet for getting top two on the challenge she went home on!! She and Patty (also Patty's loving cute) looked really great together. I don't know if anyone else got this vibe, but I felt like she was reallly trying not to win the lipsync. Maybe they just didn't show her as much because Naomi was killing it so hard.

Monique and Trinity looked....fine. Monique really does have amazing makeup so I'm pleased she got recognized for it.

It's sad to see Manila go, obviously everyone thought she was the shoe-in for a win. I thought Iyowife was a really really hilarious name and both of them had gorgeous make up but those outfits were basic as hell. If it were a regular season I think she would have been fine, or even won! But...it's loving All Stars bitch anything can happen.

I do think it's interesting that the last two AllStars we've had, and now this one two, the front-runners/'obvious' winners have been eliminated in some way. Ben, Shangela and now Manila. TBH while I love all of those queens, I think All Stars is more interesting without them; it becomes more of a competition when the queens who haven't been doing as well or fading into the background suddenly have their biggest barrier eliminated. I guess this wasn't really true with Shangela since the competition was over at that point but..

Eej posted:

Looking at the general reaction to yesterday's episode I feel kinda alienated from the fanbase because what they want and what I like is completely different and judging by AS3 and AS4 the producers lean more towards them. I feel really stupid now thinking that wanting queens to improve and succeed meant anything when what really pulls the fanbase is messy drama. Idk I guess I'm just sad realizing that Drag Race isn't meant for me.

I feel the same way a lot of the time. I really love seeing the queens improve and succeed and get recognized, and I love seeing the actual WORK parts of getting in drag; I want to watch them do their makeup and put together their outfits and construct garments and poo poo, the reality show drama is really not why I watch. And it's why I reallllly don't try and interact with the fandom in any way but post in this thread.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Eej posted:

I wouldn't let All Stars paint that picture. Each AS season has some crazy drama thing but regular seasons seem to be more about queens growing and honing their craft.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Succeed sure, but all stars isn’t the place to improve, it’s to showcase your improvement since your last season.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I took the spoilers really hard and haven't seen the lip synch yet bc I basically spat the dummy when the winners were announced.

Not mad at any of the queens but honestly and truely, the producers that decided to dress the queens in the same outfit for the performance and then cut them all together like that should be strung up and belted with balls of frozen piss

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Don't get me wrong, I still think it really sucks that Manila goes and I wish Latrice had gone instead, but on a meta level I love that Naomi, who had been pretty much panned over, boldly stamped her foot down and forced all eyes on her. Despite making top 3 in Season 8 she was vaguely forgettable, and even going into this season a lot of people (including myself) were writing her out as an early exit, and she might realize this too and want to make the most of her time in the spotlight with this decision. She's a sharp queen, she must know the backlash she's gonna get but she went and did it anyway to get people talking about her. It was just so ballsy that I can't help but admire it.

It's weird because if these shenanigans (ie. queens getting sent home when they're not supposed to) were to happen on a regular season I'd be pissed to hell and back, but I think I'm more willing to overlook it because this is an All-Stars season. Every single one of these queens already have a thriving career, and an All Stars crown isn't really the objective here, just the exposure and the subsequent explosion in bookings and gigs. So I personally don't really see All Stars as a competition per se, at least not as much as a normal season.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

https://twitter.com/RuPaulsDragRace/status/1091548010524356614

Team Naomi :allears:

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

She's so loving good oh my god it's a crime that she was so underplayed on her season and this one, up until now.

Also am I having a stroke, or what's the joke with "iyowife"? Is it like "I['m] yo[ur] wife" or "[h]i[de] yo wife" or... :psyduck:

I'm a native English speaker but I'm straight-up flummoxed

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 3, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

club ninety sixxx :allears:

Jr. posted:

She's so loving good oh my god it's a crime that she was so underplayed on her season and this one, up until now.

Also am I having a stroke, or what's the joke with "iyowife"? Is it like "I['m] yo[ur] wife" or "[h]i[de] yo wife" or... :psyduck:

"iyo" apparently means "your" in Tagalog, so it translates to "your wife"

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 3, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't believe Manila's parting gift to us all was to Borat us in another language

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Jr. posted:

It's a reference to Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Al's mail-order Filipino bride.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

angerbeet posted:

It's a reference to Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Al's mail-order Filipino bride.
She wasn't mail-order, iirc, more like an accidental acquisition. She's also pretty much my favorite character in that movie apart from Bernadette.

Manila's exit solidified my belief that her (and possibly Latrice's) presence on this season was shenanigans from jump. I like everyone else but, barring Valentina, none of them bring the High Drama we have Come to Expect.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

spite house posted:

She wasn't mail-order, iirc, more like an accidental acquisition. She's also pretty much my favorite character in that movie apart from Bernadette.

Manila's exit solidified my belief that her (and possibly Latrice's) presence on this season was shenanigans from jump. I like everyone else but, barring Valentina, none of them bring the High Drama we have Come to Expect.

Why shenanigans?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

Why shenanigans?
This is some advanced tinhat poo poo, forewarned is forearmed.

A hundred grand is a lot of money, for sure, but The Crown on Drag Race can be kind of an anvil. Latrice and Manila, two of the most established, most-beloved queens of all time, know that. They've also been the locus of the only real narrative drama on this season, among an otherwise fairly placid field, and when Manila has stirred the pot there's been something really flat and theatrical about how she's gone about it. Her case-pleading in the last ep rang pretty false to me. Not quite "I'm wearing an earpiece" but close. My hunch is they were both offered a deal of some kind to come on, create storylines and leave, which we know for a fact that World of Wonder has done before.

I could be totally wrong, and probably am, but that's my theory.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Trig Discipline posted:

This extremely sucks. Honestly nobody left in this season is better than Manila so I kinda don't care what happens past this point unless she comes back.

:cripes: Same.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

spite house posted:

My hunch is they were both offered a deal of some kind to come on, create storylines and leave, which we know for a fact that World of Wonder has done before.
When was that?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

spite house posted:

This is some advanced tinhat poo poo, forewarned is forearmed.

A hundred grand is a lot of money, for sure, but The Crown on Drag Race can be kind of an anvil. Latrice and Manila, two of the most established, most-beloved queens of all time, know that. They've also been the locus of the only real narrative drama on this season, among an otherwise fairly placid field, and when Manila has stirred the pot there's been something really flat and theatrical about how she's gone about it. Her case-pleading in the last ep rang pretty false to me. Not quite "I'm wearing an earpiece" but close. My hunch is they were both offered a deal of some kind to come on, create storylines and leave, which we know for a fact that World of Wonder has done before.

I could be totally wrong, and probably am, but that's my theory.

Oh, I'm sure. I've long advocated for the theory that Ru always knows going in who she wants to take the crown, and her initial pick usually takes the crown, unless they absolutely make it impossible for her to do it (like Kennedy). Drag Race is a brand.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like they usually have an idea going in, but can't account for how the girls perform. I imagine Chad was the hoped winner of 4 but they couldn't account for how well Sharon did, or Jinkx on her season. Production definitely has a way they want things to go, but it often doesn't work out 'cause they can't control everything.

Willam was supposedly asked to be on the show and made his audition tape after the fact. He had a prior commitment to Jersey Shoresical so he was going to be eliminated in some way before he had to go do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

zelah posted:

When was that?

esperterra posted:

Willam was supposedly asked to be on the show and made his audition tape after the fact. He had a prior commitment to Jersey Shoresical so he was going to be eliminated in some way before he had to go do that.
And another thing. Manila's sashay busted the seal on the really brutal strategic elimination, which we haven't seen so far on All-Stars because these girls are comrades for the most part. If it was shenanigans, it opens the door for more compelling TV in the future, a smart production stunt.

spite house fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 4, 2019