Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Grape posted:

The main factor that set off the Troubles was the extremely lovely and bigoted laws and systematic prejudice against Catholics, and that the peaceful movement made to address this was violently kept down. Not straight up Irish nationalism. That just became an easy fellow flyer and hypothetical solution to the Catholic side.

Honestly it seems to me that the more likely resumption of violence is Brexit leading to a majority of NI people voting to unify with the Republic, and the hardcore DUP types revive the Protestant terrorist groups in response.

This. I live in Northern Ireland and I don't personally know a single person who voted for Brexit. I'm nominally Unionist because I always believed that NI was better off as part of the UK, but I don't have any ideological belief that we have to somehow remain forever tied to the UK. And with the ongoing trainwreck of Brexit I'm now thinking that we would be better off as part of a united Ireland.

I have plenty of friends who are also from a Unionist background who right now are looking at the clusterfuck that is Brexit and thinking that NI would be better off joining Ireland and letting the UK sink itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Grape posted:

The main factor that set off the Troubles was the extremely lovely and bigoted laws and systematic prejudice against Catholics, and that the peaceful movement made to address this was violently kept down. Not straight up Irish nationalism. That just became an easy fellow flyer and hypothetical solution to the Catholic side.

Honestly it seems to me that the more likely resumption of violence is Brexit leading to a majority of NI people voting to unify with the Republic, and the hardcore DUP types revive the Protestant terrorist groups in response.

lol if you don't think that prejudice had a material cause (i.e. social control of irish with imperialist motivations, i.e. pushes for unification caused by brexit will rekindle the motivation for that social control and restart the troubles)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1091406328831139841?s=19

The EA is also concerned that if farmers cannot export beef and lamb, a backlog of livestock on farms could cause liquid manure stores to overflow. A senior MP said the problems could cause a public health and environmental pollution emergency. An EA source said: “It could all get very ugly, very quickly.”
Tweet is misleading. Britain is already full of poo poo.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

okay i was wrong

free ireland is going to need a hard border

to enforce a quarantine of the UK

Build a wall with mini-guns like that in that cheesy Doomsday movie by Neil Marshall.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1091091942392385543?s=19

No measures being taken to protect it from goths

she's safe as long as nobody invents a way to spray paint on something from a distance

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

First you brits are complaining that Brexit is going to make you starve. Now you're complaining you will be up to your waists in putrefied pig and dog poo poo.

Y'all are failing to realize those two problems combine to solve themselves. Just eat poo poo dudes

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

just grow food on top of all that poo poo you morons, problem solved

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ty for making these

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

etalian posted:

people starving to death while pig poo poo overflows in the street.

At least we are now free of crooked EU despots telling us what to do from Belgium...

congrats on becoming north carolina

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Gripweed posted:

she's safe as long as nobody invents a way to spray paint on something from a distance

yes please don't spend moneysignforUK 25 on a marking wand :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gripweed posted:

I say just throw a lasso around her and attach it to a truck bumper.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

prefect posted:

I say just throw a lasso around her and attach it to a truck bumper.

she’s probably rotted enough that it won’t do any good

oh the statue

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The council spent 30,000 pounds on a ten foot plinth to keep the statue safe from vandals, but then the vandals spent 0 pounds tying a paint brush to a stick.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

also as long as nobody puts both a length of chain and a truck in the same place, but what are the odds

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

it’s too bad the British are to weak and effete to hurl things at statues

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I know that Brexit is deadly serious but I have a hard time taking it seriously because the politics of Brexit are a complete farce.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zeroisanumber posted:

I know that Brexit is deadly serious but I have a hard time taking it seriously because the politics of Brexit are a complete farce.

They could just not do it. The EU was very clear on this, they could just take a mulligan on the whole thing and it would be fine

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zeroisanumber posted:

its very difficult to take a hostage-taker seriously when they are themselves the hostage

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1091091942392385543?s=19

No measures being taken to protect it from goths

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

30.5 Days posted:

lol if you don't think that prejudice had a material cause (i.e. social control of irish with imperialist motivations,

Yeah I don't think you understand the NI conflict in regards to the people living there.
The Protestant population were settler descendents terrified of becoming a minority controlled by the majority that they often shat on (or benefitted from larger London pushed shittings), their motivations were strictly along the same lines as the White South Africans during apartheid. Anything imperialism flavored would be coming from London, not pre-Troubles Stormont. That's where the pseudo-apartheid poo poo was coming from. The prejudice was a toxic mix of sectarian supremacism and existential fear.

quote:

i.e. pushes for unification caused by brexit will rekindle the motivation for that social control and restart the troubles)

It would potentially rekindle in the way I described because of what I just described. The hardcore Unionists will very possibly react in horror at the "destruction" of what their ancestors fought and died for according to their nationalist narratives. They (in spite of comical evidence to the direct contrary these days) will freak out about living in a state controlled by BACKWARDS PAPISTS, and be convinced that the Catholic majority country would take revenge on them. These things could restart UVF/UDA type groups.

If you want to talk imperialist stuff it would be kind of interesting to wonder if post-Brexit Britain becomes aggressively against any and all secession talk, even something enshrined as legal and doable in the GFA.

Grape has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Feb 2, 2019

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its very difficult to take a hostage-taker seriously when they are themselves the hostage

also everyone clearly wants them to shoot the hostage but is too polite to say so

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

please keep making these

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

also everyone clearly wants them to shoot the hostage but is too polite to say so

Oh they have.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Someone should be blasting this nonstop from various loudspeakers across London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjXutKsizE8

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grape posted:

If you want to talk imperialist stuff it would be kind of interesting to wonder if post-Brexit Britain becomes aggressively against any and all secession talk, even something enshrined as legal and doable in the GFA.

I look forward to EU peacekeeping troops being deployed to Ireland to enforce the GFA

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

with the way the world is these days I feel like I should have a giant ominous countdown clock with red letters hanging over my desk at all times, and for now it would be set to brexit, after that to the 2020 US election, whatever.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's just a profoundly idiotic thing that they can just... not do, and its biggest proponents are clearly absolute morons who get laughed at whenever they talk to anyone who isn't already on board.

But they'll never admit that they're wrong, even when admitting they're wrong. It's astounding.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I love how it was actually American tanks that did that

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

twoday posted:

with the way the world is these days I feel like I should have a giant ominous countdown clock with red letters hanging over my desk at all times, and for now it would be set to brexit, after that to the 2020 US election, whatever.

time moves oddly in lost Albion and the King doesn't appreciate those who keep track

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

iSimian posted:

Is that the backstop?

loving lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1091613737923067905?s=19
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1091613773150990342?s=19

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Brexit Hearts : Battle Rhythm

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thermidor:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/02/dickensian-diseases-gout-whooping-cough-and-scarlet-fever-on-rise

quote:

Despite certain illnesses virtually being eradicated in the 1950s, hospital attendances for some “Victorian diseases” have risen by 52% since 2010-11, an increase of over 3,000 admissions a year.

The rise has been put down to sustained cuts to local authority public health budgets, which experts say have resulted in the services that protect against illness being scaled back.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
scarlet fever, lmao

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Good thing Clean Break Brexit will end the EU's ban on selling live leeches then.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Huh, seems like the EU actually had a moderating effect on the neo-liberal cancer in the UK. Huh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Opferwurst posted:

Huh, seems like the EU actually had a moderating effect on the neo-liberal cancer in the UK. Huh

Everything's relative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

twoday posted:

You arrive for work and the numbers have suddenly changed.

In 19 days some strange new event begins.

On the television Boris Johnson is smiling.