Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but that trailer literally opens with Idris Elba saying he's the next stage of human evolution and punching through steel doors.

Also apparently they keep "saving the world"? Like, what the hell? I really have to see how they got there from "I can't go to jail for robbing these trucks."

Well holy poo poo then haha I guess they have gone full super powers, my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This was the first movie:

Then they moved up to international men of mystery flying cars thru the air.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

I'd love to see Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad, like, it's a fun and awesome movie despite being butchered, however it'd be nice to see the proper version, Steppenwolf or no.

The version with no non-diegetic soundtrack would've ripped.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, seeing an Ayers cut would be cool, and sadly even less likely than the fabled Snyder cut.

Guy A. Person posted:

Well holy poo poo then haha I guess they have gone full super powers, my bad

In fairness, this is the first one with explicit superpowers, rather than them implicitly being muscle car wizards.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

In fairness, this is the first one with explicit superpowers, rather than them implicitly being muscle car wizards.

Yeah the latter is the impression I got from this forum, friends who've seen it, and the rare bits I've caught on premium TV. I admittedly didn't watch the trailer, but that's wild that they've decided to go in that direction.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I understand what you guys are saying because i was watching the Rock jump out of a skyscraper and then kill a bunch of guys in free fall while running on the side of the skyscraper and I thought to myself "I guess that's not technically a super power."

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but that trailer literally opens with Idris Elba saying he's the next stage of human evolution and punching through steel doors.

Also apparently they keep "saving the world"? Like, what the hell? I really have to see how they got there from "I can't go to jail for robbing these trucks."

There's insane escalation between every movie and it somehow works. This feels like a natural continuation after seeing them all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

STAC Goat posted:

Sadly those words mean nothing to me.

Either way it definitely feels like I need to do a binge to figure out what the gently caress.

Are you familiar with Final Fantasy 1 at all? How thieves because ninjas. White mages become white wizards? Fast and Furious is kind of like that.

In F&F 1-4, they are all mostly normal people.

In F&F 5, Ludacris goes from being a guy that supes up cars to one of the world’s best computer hackers. Vin Diesel goes from being a leader of a street gang to basically a Captain America super soldier leading the Avengers. That sort of thing.

Also, for those that are unfamiliar with the series as a whole, the movies have a release order and a chronological order.

Movie 3, Tokyo Drift, actually takes place between movies 6 & 7.

The movies are loving fascinating and amazing and I could talk about them for loving ages.

F&F1 is exactly what it is. It’s a street racing and thieving movie.

F&F2 is a loving terrible movie and doesn’t even have Vin Diesel in it because he was off making the xXx movies because he thought that would be more successful. Despite being the worst film in the series, 2 is important for introducing a gently caress ton of characters that are important later. Though, when they were making this movie, they weren’t making it with the long term arc in mind.

F&F3 (Tokyo Drift) almost feels like a straight-to-dvd sequel. Not in quality, but because it doesn’t have any of the cast of the previous films.

F&F4 is the second worst film in the series. But it is still important because it is when you see the foundations of the transition to modern F&F films.

F&F5 is where poo poo gets WILD. Generally considered the best in the series. This was the film that made canon that Tokyo Drift is a future film because a character that died in Tokyo Drift is part of the crew here.

F&F6-8 all continue the tone of 5, but continue to ramp up the insanity.

If you’ve never watched the series, you’re doing yourself a loving disservice and missing out on one of the best modern film series.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, Quill clearly has daddy issues with Yondu in 1 too. It wasn't as overt as the movie literally about daddy issues but it was there. Pete was always going to forgive Yondu.

Yeah, even at the beginning of the first movie you got the feeling of Quill stretching his wings and testing his limits and Yondu taking it. Yondu's crew basically expects him to react to insubordination and failure like Darth Vader, but with Quill he just doesn't, and that goes to bite him in the rear end in the second movie.

Unrelated, but I'm happy to live in a world where I can't say whether people talk about the Fast and Furious franchise or the Final Fantasy games, the last few posts could have been about either one or both.

Also unrelated, I've seen Venom. Venom is sick.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies. All I know about them is that the one with Ludacris starring in it, has a Ludacris song featured during a sequence in the film.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't think this one has out and out super powers either though. The trailer looks like Idris is acting post super science surgery. Which seems in like with the general level of super abilities already established by things like flexing out of abroken arm so you can rip a chain gun off a helecopter and fire it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

Never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies. All I know about them is that the one with Ludacris starring in it, has a Ludacris song featured during a sequence in the film.

They do the Avengers-style crossover better than Avengers in Fast Five. Tokyo Drift is my favorite.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

They do the Avengers-style crossover better than Avengers in Fast Five. Tokyo Drift is my favorite.

There is something funny in here about calling it a crossover instead of just a sequel and how that reflects on the MCU, but I can't quite put it into words because I'm not SMG.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Let's be fair though, is there anything avengers does well? (Aside from making money lol)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Grendels Dad posted:

There is something funny in here about calling it a crossover instead of just a sequel and how that reflects on the MCU, but I can't quite put it into words because I'm not SMG.

Fast Five is the culmination of all Fast films in the Fast & Furious Cinematic Universe that came before it, bringing in the other superheroes from The Fast and Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Tokyo Drift and Fast & Furious to join Dom and Brian, forming a superteam to take on Hobbs.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Instead of Shaw they should have Statham play Chelios

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gyges posted:

I don't think this one has out and out super powers either though. The trailer looks like Idris is acting post super science surgery. Which seems in like with the general level of super abilities already established by things like flexing out of abroken arm so you can rip a chain gun off a helecopter and fire it.

The distinction I'm drawing is between Dwayne Johnson flexing out of his cast reflecting a wild exaggeration of peak human performance—a la Batman—and Idris Elba's super-science surgery being diegetically superhuman. Even though, yeah, in terms of what they do it's just different degrees of the impossible, with a bulletproof villain the next step beyond rubber bullets bouncing off Hobbs during the jailbreak in FF7. Within the movie itself, Idris Elba is presented as doing the impossible, while The Rock simply does what would actually be impossible, but is treated as merely incredibly badass.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the last one a swat officer came at Hobbs, wearing a helmet. Hobbs just headbutted him, knocking out the behelmeted guard without a scratch to himself

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is this where we talk about Glass?

Neat that the trilogy starts and finishes with a Train wreck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
F&F needs to start a car superhero cinematic universe with Drive Angry and Baby Driver.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that the (technically) regular dudes of F&F are taking on a literal superhero this summer. Dumb metafiction like that gives me a kick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is this where we talk about Glass?

Neat that the trilogy starts and finishes with a Train wreck

It ends perfectly mother fucker

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

F&F needs to start a car superhero cinematic universe with Drive Angry and Baby Driver.

They already are doing that, subtly. They brought in The Transporter/Death Race driver and Stuntman Mike from Death Proof already. Not an accident, either.

Edit: Furiosa as well.

Darko fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 2, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://youtu.be/rOSpsN5yEnc

Fantastic video about the symbology of Moby Dick's white whale in Moss/BvS.

This was posted in the jl thread, but it's really good and worth watching

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I said come in! posted:

They’re dreadful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I haven't watched it in a while but holy poo poo the opening of Ang Lee's Hulk is so good and like seriously the way things transition into each other. It's so interesting. Just the different way scene's transition is really interesting.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just watched Venom,what the gently caress were people complaining about? It was great hope they make a sequel.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just watched Venom,what the gently caress were people complaining about?

The vast majority of film critics have terrible taste, and fandom is a mental disorder. Most people complaining hadn't even seen the movie. They just assumed that it must be bad because 'only marvel studios can make good movies with marvel characters in them' is the monoculture, now. They are trying to wish into fulfillment marvel studios/disney owning everything so that their brand loyalty can be made stronger and more unified.

It's really quite sad, because then when the prophecy fails and Sony actually ends up doing perfectly fine for themselves, it's like Satan has won. It's not enough to say that Venom is a mediocre movie. It has to be awful, because the people who made it are the devil.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I haven't watched it in a while but holy poo poo the opening of Ang Lee's Hulk is so good and like seriously the way things transition into each other. It's so interesting. Just the different way scene's transition is really interesting.

it's absolutely lovely

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just watched Venom,what the gently caress were people complaining about? It was great hope they make a sequel.

It was too by-the-numbers for me. It's your bog-standard origin story with no real variation to speak of. 1) Show main character on top of the world 2) He fucks up his life through his own hubris 3) He stumbles upon powers that fix his life. The action scenes felt like they were cut for a trailer, its hard to explain what I mean by that. I didn't watch the trailers but I got the distinct impression when I was watching the action that I was watching a trailer. I thought Tom Hardy's performance was a little weird in a way I can't really put my finger on.

That said I've seen it twice and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. It crosses my mind every now and then. I'm not sure why. I'm super excited for the sequel because it looks like Woody Harrelson will be in it and he has a tendency to be in movies that I enjoy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

it's absolutely lovely

There's one specific scene where he shoots the rocket and it blows up and then the camera pulls back and you see all the different cuts of the movie and its insane

Like it is so crazy good. And honestly it's a legit good movie. Like I really like it alot.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 2, 2019

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

K. Waste posted:

The vast majority of film critics have terrible taste, and fandom is a mental disorder. Most people complaining hadn't even seen the movie. They just assumed that it must be bad because 'only marvel studios can make good movies with marvel characters in them' is the monoculture, now. They are trying to wish into fulfillment marvel studios/disney owning everything so that their brand loyalty can be made stronger and more unified.

It's really quite sad, because then when the prophecy fails and Sony actually ends up doing perfectly fine for themselves, it's like Satan has won. It's not enough to say that Venom is a mediocre movie. It has to be awful, because the people who made it are the devil.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It was too by-the-numbers for me. It's your bog-standard origin story with no real variation to speak of. 1) Show main character on top of the world 2) He fucks up his life through his own hubris 3) He stumbles upon powers that fix his life. The action scenes felt like they were cut for a trailer, its hard to explain what I mean by that. I didn't watch the trailers but I got the distinct impression when I was watching the action that I was watching a trailer. I thought Tom Hardy's performance was a little weird in a way I can't really put my finger on.

That said I've seen it twice and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. It crosses my mind every now and then. I'm not sure why. I'm super excited for the sequel because it looks like Woody Harrelson will be in it and he has a tendency to be in movies that I enjoy.

see i was ok with the movie being simple,Venom's not exactly superman so i'm totally ok with explaining how he works to the audience and i thought it was a nice change of pace to just have a bad guy be a bad guy an amoral self obsessed dickhead without any boo hoo i'm really just a conflicted wah wah.

The only thing i didn't like in terms of action was how the symbiote just sort of appears on eddies skin,i would have preferred it coming straight out of his mouth or from between his eyes and ears,just a small thing.

I remember people saying the final fight was hard to understand,bullshit, i thought it was great and it didn't outstay its welcome,which goes for the whole movie really,it's pretty fast.

I'd heard woody harrelson was in the stinger and his wig was bad....and it was....but hey you can't fault woody harrleson,guy's a legend.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

outside of some fun tom hardy acting and the people who are horny for the symbiote it's hard for me to picture any extreme feelings about that movie, either positive or negative

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I'd be happy with a sequel of Venom just killing bad guys in inventive violent ways because that's what "good guys" do.

Throws a bad guy off roof,bad guy lands in front of orphanage sending blood spray and body parts all over,bad guy is dead,venom did "good".

see,the kids are shouting and screaming,they must be so happy.

Onto the next one....

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That's kind of how Venom was in the comics as "Lethal Protector" actually.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Yeah i remember the bit from "maximum carnage" (the only venom comic i've read" where he's eating bad guys in an alley and he's like "kids these days play too many violent videogames,we didn't have videogames and look how well we turned out!"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hollismason posted:

Like it is so crazy good. And honestly it's a legit good movie. Like I really like it alot.

I haven't seen it in years, but I agree that it is good. It just wasn't the kind of Hulk movie that people expected or wanted.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Brother Entropy posted:

outside of some fun tom hardy acting and the people who are horny for the symbiote it's hard for me to picture any extreme feelings about that movie, either positive or negative

The issue isn't so much that Venom is actually great and nobody understands it. It's that it is, for all intents and purposes, mediocre if ambitious - and yet the initial reception of it was predominately, "LOL Sony shits the bed again can't wait for Disney to buy these fuckers out too."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

K. Waste posted:

The issue isn't so much that Venom is actually great and nobody understands it. It's that it is, for all intents and purposes, mediocre if ambitious - and yet the initial reception of it was predominately, "LOL Sony shits the bed again can't wait for Disney to buy these fuckers out too."

oh yeah, i agree with you absolutely there. it got really blatant with some of the weirder critic takes of 'i laughed at the jokes and had a fun time but don't worry, i still know that It Was Bad'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I trust Fox Studios for making comic book movies that I enjoy, but not Sony, who made Venom. Although I think Sony made Spider-Man Home Coming? And I liked that movie a lot.