Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I was actually able to semi-cheese Starseer with Reflective Veil, but it was much harder than Archmage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Are you regularly breaking enemies and then releasing max-boost attacks when they're broken? Boss fights shouldn't take more than 15 minutes max for Chapter 1, with normal length being 5-10. If you're hitting Chapter 2, make sure to explore the various shrines and to gradually upgrade your gear.

Yeah, breaking and boosting and it still takes what seems like a while. I'm not grinding but I'm not really escaping from too many random battles either. Maybe I need better equipment as I've mostly been buying healing items to keep up with the bosses.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's good to keep your gear up to date. Don't be scared to buy stuff from shops if you can't find anything good from exploring! Also buy/steal from NPCs, some will have better gear than you can buy from shops.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Also use buffs/debuffs. Attack Up on you and Defense Down on them is the ticket for large numbers.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Also don’t break near the end of the turn, you want to break in the beginning so most of your team gets two break actions.

I am sure there are other viable options but in the early game having two scholars can easily carry you until you transition to one super damage character and the rest support model.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Do any of the party characters actually interact with each other besides the moment you recruit them? It's really weird having all these people together that never acknowledge each other's existence, and disappear during story cutscenes as though they're not there.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Starting from the chapter 2 stories they do. After certain story events, and depending on who you have in your party, the option for travel banter appears.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Basically every time a plot beat or cutscene happens in a character’s story from Chapter 2 and onwards, you’ll probably get chatter with at least one other character. It’s set up so that you’ll have the opportunity to chat with all seven of the other party members.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

redneck nazgul posted:

Archmage is the easiest if you can survive the debuff.

Runelord is made easier with Tressa as a Warrior / Olberic as a Merchant to alternate Incite and Sidestep. This works for about half of the fight, so be prepared to burn him down when he hits half HP.

Warmaster is trivialized by Runelord Tressa.

I don't know of a good strategy for Starseer. Take Alfyn and Concoct your way through.

With Runelord you break him as he is about to hit half HP, then spend the next two turns throwing money at him, with Therion or someone else having applied a defense debuff (and therefore able to add some damage too, ideally) with Alfyn to top off BP after the first wave of max level mercenaries. If he survived you should be able to finish him off in the following round unless you didn't have any sidestep stacks leftover or ran out of money.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just found this thread, I'm midway through chapter 2 with people and boy this game is good. But I can't decide who I want to make my party! Everyone is good!! Basically every time I clear someone's chapter, I put the next person into my party, then fill out the rest of my party with whoever's the lowest level to catch them up. Also I started as Therion and I wish I had started Tressa or Alfyn, but I guess the thief boy isn't bad. Stealing seems way better than Purchasing since I'm generally low on money, unless I have Tressa in my party at all times. Which, granted, seems like a good idea, but right now her options for breaking enemies is a bit limited unless I'm willing to shell out cash. I'm unlocking subclasses now, trying to figure out what I want my party to look like and what subjobs I wanna roll with.

The game is good!!

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

As someone who is currently mopping up my last couple of Chapter 4s, you will come to appreciate having Therion as your main character. Purple chests become a lot more frequent the further you get into the game and backtracking for them is a huge pain in the rear end.

That said, changing up your party’s character/subjob line-up every chapter is the correct way to play and I won’t hear otherwise :colbert:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What determines the damage for Tressa's hired help? Also, are subjob skills weaker than their main job counterparts? I slapped Thief onto H'aanit so I could use Steal SP on her since I love spamming Arrowstorm, but it did like 10 damage per hit against a much weaker enemy that was broken.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

CodfishCartographer posted:

What determines the damage for Tressa's hired help? Also, are subjob skills weaker than their main job counterparts? I slapped Thief onto H'aanit so I could use Steal SP on her since I love spamming Arrowstorm, but it did like 10 damage per hit against a much weaker enemy that was broken.

Basically, the more money you spend on it = more damage. And you might need to equip her with a stronger dagger in that case, she might be using the generic makeshift weapon from changing jobs.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jade Rider posted:

Basically, the more money you spend on it = more damage. And you might need to equip her with a stronger dagger in that case, she might be using the generic makeshift weapon from changing jobs.

I assumed that the more expensive ones did more damage, but didn't know what causes each individual one to deal more. I like that skill quite a lot and was curious if I could min/max stats for it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

I assumed that the more expensive ones did more damage, but didn't know what causes each individual one to deal more. I like that skill quite a lot and was curious if I could min/max stats for it.

Each option for Hired Help does fixed damage and is unaffected by your gear.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zoran posted:

Each option for Hired Help does fixed damage and is unaffected by your gear.

For some reason I assumed it used physical attack, whoops!

I've gotten a handful of staff weapons that prioritize physical over magic damage, is there any situation I'd want to use those?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

For some reason I assumed it used physical attack, whoops!

I've gotten a handful of staff weapons that prioritize physical over magic damage, is there any situation I'd want to use those?

One of the advanced jobs is physically oriented and has an all-hit staff attack.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The other reason you might want to to prioritize P.Atk on a staff is if you manage to get a different weapon type with better E.Atk than any of the staffs you have available for a character anyway. Scholar Primrose (or Dancer Ophilia or Cyrus) can end up in this situation fairly easily, since there are some very high E.Atk daggers in the game.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Just got the Runelord down, didn't quite have the damage needed to kill him from half but holy gently caress was that a clutch victory. Sorcerer Primrose clutched out one of the full-party hits with 2 HP left. :catstare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thuryl posted:

The other reason you might want to to prioritize P.Atk on a staff is if you manage to get a different weapon type with better E.Atk than any of the staffs you have available for a character anyway. Scholar Primrose (or Dancer Ophilia or Cyrus) can end up in this situation fairly easily, since there are some very high E.Atk daggers in the game.

There's also a glaive that you can steal (or buy) that gives more m.atk than almost any staff in the game.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

is that the runic glaive? i think i bought it from a merchant in that one barter area in a ch. 4 city.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
When casting magic, what weapon is used to calculate elemental attack? Is it your currently equipped weapon? An average of all your equipped weapons? The grand total of them?

How about speed, does switching your weapon let you go earlier? For the Thief's divine skill, does it only take into account the speed of your equipped dagger, or do other weapons with speed bonuses help its damage as well?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

When casting magic, what weapon is used to calculate elemental attack? Is it your currently equipped weapon? An average of all your equipped weapons? The grand total of them?

How about speed, does switching your weapon let you go earlier? For the Thief's divine skill, does it only take into account the speed of your equipped dagger, or do other weapons with speed bonuses help its damage as well?

It's whichever equipped weapon has the highest E.Atk. Equipping a second weapon with lower E.Atk gives no benefit to your spells.

I'm not so sure about Speed. I think it just adds together the bonuses from all your equipped weapons, but I could be wrong.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Astrochicken posted:

is that the runic glaive? i think i bought it from a merchant in that one barter area in a ch. 4 city.

Yeah that one. Toss that on a magic user who can use spears and they're good to go for the rest of the game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Thuryl posted:

It's whichever equipped weapon has the highest E.Atk. Equipping a second weapon with lower E.Atk gives no benefit to your spells.

I'm not so sure about Speed. I think it just adds together the bonuses from all your equipped weapons, but I could be wrong.

I think Speed on a weapon only affects you if you actually use that weapon (normal attacks or weapon-based skills).

Same with other stats (other than E.Atk. of course).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The non-ElemAtk stats are a bit confusing, and as far as I know there's still no concrete details, but the idea is that stat is factored in only when that weapon is wielded in combat. So if you stick a +100 Evasion dagger on Cyrus, it won't factor in at the start of battle since he starts off battle using a staff. However, you can then just switch to his dagger to get the evasion bonus while he uses Peacock Strut or whatever, though if you use any weapon skills (and I think spells may auto-switch to the weapon with the highest ElemAtk, though I could be wrong here), you'll switch to said weapon and won't get the bonus.

So those bonuses are mainly useful for the characters that main that particular weapon. It's kind of pointless giving a +Speed Polearm or whatever to Therion if he's going to spam Steal SP (a dagger skill) constantly, but a +Speed Dagger would be fantastic for him.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

The non-ElemAtk stats are a bit confusing, and as far as I know there's still no concrete details, but the idea is that stat is factored in only when that weapon is wielded in combat. So if you stick a +100 Evasion dagger on Cyrus, it won't factor in at the start of battle since he starts off battle using a staff. However, you can then just switch to his dagger to get the evasion bonus while he uses Peacock Strut or whatever, though if you use any weapon skills (and I think spells may auto-switch to the weapon with the highest ElemAtk, though I could be wrong here), you'll switch to said weapon and won't get the bonus.

So those bonuses are mainly useful for the characters that main that particular weapon. It's kind of pointless giving a +Speed Polearm or whatever to Therion if he's going to spam Steal SP (a dagger skill) constantly, but a +Speed Dagger would be fantastic for him.

Is dagger damage determined by Speed? Are other weapons' / spells' damage determined by stats other than physical / elemental attack?

So if speed is only determined by your current weapon, would switching from a low speed to a high speed weapon be enough to change your character's place in the next turn order?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Is dagger damage determined by Speed? Are other weapons' / spells' damage determined by stats other than physical / elemental attack?

For the most part, all weapon attacks and skills are determined by PhysAtk only, and all spells are determined by your highest ElemAtk only. The only exceptions are the skills that say they use other stats, like Aeber's Reckoning which factors in Speed, and the Runelord's skills that factor in the ElemAtk of the current weapon instead of picking the highest overall ElemAtk. Otherwise, the attack stats are all that matter, so Steal SP will do the same damage whether you have 5 Speed or 500 Speed.

quote:

So if speed is only determined by your current weapon, would switching from a low speed to a high speed weapon be enough to change your character's place in the next turn order?

I would assume so, but I haven't actually experimented to see if it's possible.

I don't think anything's actually concrete as far as the secondary stats of weapons, I'm kind of talking out of my rear end here honestly, but this seems to be the common consensus.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

I'm not sure how you would test this, since turn order appears to have an element of randomness baked in. Theron juiced up on speed boosting equipment will usually go before his teammates and the enemy, but definitely not always.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

TheArchimage posted:

I'm not sure how you would test this, since turn order appears to have an element of randomness baked in. Theron juiced up on speed boosting equipment will usually go before his teammates and the enemy, but definitely not always.

Start a new game, leave 2-4 people out of your party, play until you've got a bunch of speed boosting weapons, get into a random fight with your level 1 weaklings and play around with them?

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I passed the first gauntlet of the 'final'dungeon. I feel underleveled (range 64-66), but I do have all jobs. The strategy guides I'm reading just fill me with more dread. There's no save. I'm so scared :ohdear:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I have decided to go full idiot and try to unlock the final boss blind. Sidequests goooo!

I got the quest where the guard wanted to gently caress the daughter of the dark god despite Olberic beating the poo poo out of him. She started rambling about how she wants a blond blue eyed man. It's that fuckup Kit, isn't it? She sacrifices him to the dark god to end the game I'm guessing.

Hurry up and show up so I can beat your asses.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The arrangement album "Break & Boost" is out today.

Some samples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FedNvGxXLHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOQNBuD03Tc

More Info (Track List is wrong, 6 is DB2. Yes, they have DB2 twice, because it's that good)

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 20, 2019

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hey guys, I'm finally going to start this game later today. I can still end up with all characters right? Only difference being the starter has to be in the party at all times? I'm looking over who I'll go with and thinking maybe the priestess lady.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Your starting character has to stay in your party until you wrap up their story. You can (easily) get all 8 characters as you explore around the map.

Talk to everyone you come across and inspect and steal from them too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Start with whichever character you like the most. You can 100% this game with anyone.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mega64 posted:

The arrangement album "Break & Boost" is out today.

Some samples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FedNvGxXLHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOQNBuD03Tc

More Info (Track List is wrong, 6 is DB2. Yes, they have DB2 twice, because it's that good)

I grabbed it from iTunes purely on how good the DB2 samples are. I think I'm more of a fan of the Boost side, but this is a pretty solid album.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Hurry up and show up so I can beat your asses.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm at the point where I desperately need a strategy for the secret final boss. I need a good setup for jobs for each of the characters. My characters are mid-60s, and it seems like there's always a point where the eye and the adds line up perfectly to wipe my party in a single turn and there's nothing I can do about it.

The final boss music owns, though. I had kind of wondered why the rest of the game didn't really use choral elements in the music, and then when that theme kicks in it all kind of made sense.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Darth Nat posted:

I'm at the point where I desperately need a strategy for the secret final boss. I need a good setup for jobs for each of the characters. My characters are mid-60s, and it seems like there's always a point where the eye and the adds line up perfectly to wipe my party in a single turn and there's nothing I can do about it.

The final boss music owns, though. I had kind of wondered why the rest of the game didn't really use choral elements in the music, and then when that theme kicks in it all kind of made sense.

Requoting my last post:

ullerrm posted:

Both groups need a cleric, dancer, and apoth. First round heavily benefits from a sorcerer. Save your warmaster, and runelord for second round.

This setup is pretty good if you want specific suggestions:

Part 1:
* Primrose as Cleric
* Olberic as Apothecary
* Therion as Merchant
* Cyrus as Sorceror
Part 2:
* Tressa as Runelord
* Ophilia as Dancer
* Alfyn as Starseer
* Haanit as Warmaster

Skills wise, the tier-4 cleric skill (overheal) is mando for everyone, and surpassing power for runelord and warmaster. If you seriously have JP flowing out of your ears, consider getting the tier-4 runelord and warmaster buffs for everyone — having permanent pdef/mdef buffs that can’t be dispelled is super handy.

Load up everyone with the best armor you can get; you want everyone to have at least 650 mdef.

H’aanit beasts don’t matter; they don’t scale anywhere near what she can put out with personal weapons or skills, esp if she’s getting transfer rune.

For both phases, your number one priority is to have someone with Dohter's Charity at all times, and that someone uses a Revitalizing Jam or large Pomegranate on every turn. You're not going to be able to dump out enough damage/healing/buffs if everyone's not getting at least 3 BP per turn.

The Tier 4 runelord and warmaster skills are optional, but very nice for two reasons:
1) Galdera has multiple abilities in Phase 2 that wipe out all buffs on the party, and these have no effect if you have permament PAtk/PDef/MAtk/MDef buffs from those skills.
2) No more having to waste rounds on your Dancer doing Peacock Dance / Lion Dance; they can dedicate all their rounds to keeping up Aelfric or Sealtige, which is super nice if your gear or levels are marginal.

For Phase 1 in more detail, Cyrus is your key -- if Primrose gives him Aelfric's Auspices, that'll make the Sorceror spells (in particular, the light one) hit six times per cast, on both eye and adds. That, combined with melee damage from Olberic, can clear the field fairly quickly. Olberic's first priority, before melee breaks, is to give Dohter's to Therion; if Dohter is down and being re-cast, have Therion use Hired Help for a bit of extra AoE melee damage.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ChaosArgate posted:

I grabbed it from iTunes purely on how good the DB2 samples are. I think I'm more of a fan of the Boost side, but this is a pretty solid album.

I gave it a listen and I think pretty much the opposite. I don't mind power metal at all, but the Boost side is rear end and feels completely uninspired to me. I'm kinda bummed because I was really looking forward to the alternate takes of Daughter of a Dark God and They Who Govern Reason, but they're really boring (and especially since Daughter of the Dark God doesn't get any vocals. where's the over-the-top lost horizon-style power metal falsetto, square???). The main theme feels particularly off to me, it just loses all the dynamics and catchyness that the original version had. It feels like pretty much all the tracks are just the originals but with half the instruments removed and replaced with an electric guitar plus a lot of relentless double-kick drumlines. It just makes the tracks a lot less interesting, and they were pretty simplistic in the first place (although that was kinda their charm).

The Break side on the other hand adds a lot of elaboration to the original melodies. It has some really interesting takes on the original tracks and makes some of the ones I found kinda boring on the OST into really cool pieces. A Settlement in the Red Bluffs was always a pretty good folk dance but now it's downright inspired folk-jazz-fusion that's really fun to listen to (especially the last minute, it's hilarious). Decisive Battle II is a really cool take, Primrose's theme is great (folk-jazz dance again) and the Frostlands theme is actually interesting now and has some pretty nice countermelodies going on.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 21, 2019