Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dommolus Magnus posted:

So, a Dutch version of "Henry VIII powers", would that even be constitutional? (I'm assuming that, unlike those silly Brits, you have one of those.)

We have a constitution, however our judges are by law not allowed to judge whether or not a law or treaty is constitutional.

So...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Orange Devil posted:

We have a constitution, however our judges are by law not allowed to judge whether or not a law or treaty is constitutional.

So...

:psyduck:

Who is?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Is it because this forum is full of US citizens that constituions are lionized?

They don't mean a lot. The Spanish one was changed almost in secret, overnight, with zero consultation, last time the priests of austerity demanded a sacrifice. They put the whole idea behind the "stability" and "growth" "pact" in the constitution in an afternoon and hoped no journalist would read the official bulletin. Article 135, 2011 reform if you want to google it.

Stop worshipping any constitution. It's a legal text: find willing actors and they will be squarely circumvented.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Dawncloack posted:

They don't mean a lot. The Spanish one was changed almost in secret, overnight, with zero consultation, last time the priests of austerity demanded a sacrifice. They put the whole idea behind the "stability" and "growth" "pact" in the constitution in an afternoon and hoped no journalist would read the official bulletin. Article 135, 2011 reform if you want to google it.

Stop worshipping any constitution. It's a legal text: find willing actors and they will be squarely circumvented.

even the founding fathers knew a constitution alone was worthless, it needs to be backed up with tens of millions of well-armed hero-complex hillbillies

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, well, in spain it's defended by hordes of formerly middle class people armed with flags hanging from balconies and a very strong crab bucket mentality.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Parliament and the government. When they make laws they should ensure they are constitutional. If they deem their own proposed laws constitutional then there is no other authority who can overrule that.

It means we have a really very high-minded constitution which can then get ignored whenever convenient, as such it's a good microcosm of Dutch political culture.

Dawncloack posted:

Yeah this. If there's one thing I could change about the US, well gently caress I wouldn't know what exactly that would be, but "having Americans understand that a constitution is just some words on a piece of paper" would be up on my list for serious consideration.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Orange Devil posted:

Parliament and the government. When they make laws they should ensure they are constitutional. If they deem their own proposed laws constitutional then there is no other authority who can overrule that.

It means we have a really very high-minded constitution which can then get ignored whenever convenient, as such it's a good microcosm of Dutch political culture.

Doesn't the monarch have any on-paper authority to reject a law if it's unconstitutional?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Doesn't the monarch have any on-paper authority to reject a law if it's unconstitutional?

A law is only a law if the monarch signs it, and I guess technically they could refuse to sign it for any or no reason, but that's the kind of thing that could end the monarchy.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dawncloack posted:

The Spanish constitution also guarantees every citizen a "worthy and proper" living space, and that the government will take measures to ensure this is the case and to prevent real estate speculation.

I'll let you guess how that turned out.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

YF-23 posted:

As a matter of fact, yes. The Royal Assent Act from 1967 even more or less encourages the monarch to do so, as he has the by-law right to veto a law with it, especially if his ministers advice him to do so.

As the monarch is head of the state, he technically can veto any kind of law at any given time, not only those he considers unconstitutional, simply because he has to sign every single law ever passed and does that under advice of his ministers, that work directly for him.

However, since customary law is such a big thing in the UK and not giving out royal assent against the declared will of the monarch's ministers did not happen since 1707, the house of commons and probably even the house of lords would immediately stand up against that.

They could simply declare by law (obviously without assent) that this is illegal and they have the only right to pass laws, thus creating a constitutional crisis. This is the main advantage of actually writing your stuff down in a constitution - never fear the rules are here. So this would be quite a mess, but would probably be solved relatively easily by the parliament overwriting the monarch's will.

So, as stated before, this would more or less be political suicide of the monarch's unwritten rights and maybe even monarchy itself.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

Curious, 'cause that's exactly the same way Italy ended up with a balanced budget amendment in the constitution. Negotiated as part of the fiscal compact IIRC, but virtually undiscussed and completely free of hamstrings like 'democratic legitimacy' given that it was passed using the procedure that avoided it going to referendum. Just, it wasn't there, until one day it was, and no-one even talks of re-discussion. No-one even mentions it anymore.

Still, makes one think there's a larger design behind this kind of poo poo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Slavvy posted:

It will never cease to amaze me how much greek people who don't actually live in macedonia give a gently caress about what to call macedonia. It's like someone in michigan getting militant about what Ontario is called.

A lot of Greek people live in Macedonia, not the country of course but the region of Macedonia. The second largest city in Greece is in this region.The controversy is over the country using the name that is for a wider region that Greeks consider very culturally important (because Alexander the Great). It's not a random thing.

Is it worth molesting a tiny powerless poor country over, and having riots, and giving this level of a crap?

NOPE.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Brexit minus sixty!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Parliament. That's how parliamentarism works. Parliament is the dominant political body.

For comparison, what the US has is separation of powers which is a fundamentally different political system wherein court, executive and parliament are equal and can block each other.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Grape posted:

A lot of Greek people live in Macedonia, not the country of course but the region of Macedonia. The second largest city in Greece is in this region.The controversy is over the country using the name that is for a wider region that Greeks consider very culturally important (because Alexander the Great). It's not a random thing.

Is it worth molesting a tiny powerless poor country over, and having riots, and giving this level of a crap?

NOPE.

Should also note that this is also an issue of (a lack of) education. The main nationalist slogan is "there is only one Macedonia and it is Greek". When you grew up learning that there's a Greek region called Macedonia, never taught anything about the region except for Alexander's empire and its "liberation" from the Ottomans and the Bulgars, and someone tells you "hey, that slavic country to the north now gets to be called (north) macedonia, and its citizens get to call themselves macedonians" it's only natural for your reaction to be "hey wait what the gently caress?". Because of course, state education seeks to gloss over or minimise historical crimes and inconvenient facts, so the centuries-long presence of slavic populations in the region, and their Hellenisation/linguicide under the auspicies of the Greek state are never going to be taught in school.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Portugal police and media are now waking up that people carry smartphones around and can film acts of police brutality, which our media is quick to defend as not a case of racism and some as police brutality even. People on talk shows inviting nazis over to discuss racism. Thinks are getting like every elsewhere.
There's an antifa march this Friday, but I dunno, the whole moderate voting base seems rotten with the media pumping stories about how the gov is cutting pubic investment in favour of parties who want to slice up all our services.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So we have a free trade agreement with Japan now. What's some cool stuff we'll be able to buy now? Will asian super markets get cheaper as well?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
mostly anime and toyotas

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Truga posted:

mostly anime and toyotas

Dont forget katanas, and maybe holo wifes.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Finally we get fully translated hentai in best quality shipped to our homes. Or maybe some whale?
I heard they are good at those.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The free trade deal will be great for the housing crisis, as now Europeans and the Japanese can comfortably live in their marginally cheaper Toyotas and BMWs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Will it affect immigration at all?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

It will replenish our strategic reserves of overly-polite tea-drinking left-hand-side-driving island former-empires.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

It will replenish our strategic reserves of overly-polite tea-drinking left-hand-side-driving island former-empires.

Yeah our previous one appears to have committed ritual suicide.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shibawanko posted:

Will it affect immigration at all?

There's nothing about free movement of people in that trade deal AFAIK.

The whole "four freedoms" thing only come in effect when countries want access to the EU's service market AFAIK. For just goods (and Japan is mostly interested in exporting cars) it's easy to get a deal without the other three freedoms. Though this deal does simplify access to the service market, it's still not a full access.

It may increase the number of business travels between Europe and Japan, but it shouldn't have any measurable effect on actual immigration, so it won't make it easier for European weeaboos to go live the dream in Glorious Nihon.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

LOL Belgium is also living in the dumbest timeline. We've been seeing pro-climate protests the last 2 months, including weekly student strikes. The Flemish minister for nature and agriculture (who's doing a poo poo job) was boasting 2 weeks ago how such mass movement strengthens her resolve to work for the climate.

Last night she was giving a speech for a group of farmers and claimed that the protests have been organized as part of a conspiracy to damage her, as revenge for the farmer protests of 2003 that cost the Green party the election back then. She even claimed to have been told this by our intelligence agency.

She's already said she may have misspoke, as the agency contradicted her soon after.

How can politicians be this dumb?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

There's nothing about free movement of people in that trade deal AFAIK.

The whole "four freedoms" thing only come in effect when countries want access to the EU's service market AFAIK. For just goods (and Japan is mostly interested in exporting cars) it's easy to get a deal without the other three freedoms. Though this deal does simplify access to the service market, it's still not a full access.

It may increase the number of business travels between Europe and Japan, but it shouldn't have any measurable effect on actual immigration, so it won't make it easier for European weeaboos to go live the dream in Glorious Nihon.

It's more the other way around for us, my wife wants to move to Europe. Moving to Japan is fairly easy for me but moving to Europe is hard, even if you're married.

There was a weird loophole in Dutch immigration law a while ago that let Japanese people get visas without a partner with a high salary or finding a job first, the loophole was based on an old trade treaty between Japan and Holland that everybody'd forgotten about. I was hoping there'd be some clause or something in this new thing that would make it at least slightly easier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shibawanko posted:

It's more the other way around for us, my wife wants to move to Europe. Moving to Japan is fairly easy for me but moving to Europe is hard, even if you're married.

There was a weird loophole in Dutch immigration law a while ago that let Japanese people get visas without a partner with a high salary or finding a job first, the loophole was based on an old trade treaty between Japan and Holland that everybody'd forgotten about. I was hoping there'd be some clause or something in this new thing that would make it at least slightly easier.

Don't Holland and Japan go waaay back?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Yep! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejima

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

nimby posted:

Our politicians are reacting to plans of a student strike following the Belgian example by citing the law which makes education mandatory and skipping school illegal.

One of the biggest crybabies is the leader of the main Christian party, who in the last election was profiling himself with all kinds of idiotic plans to promote Dutchness, such as plans to make it mandatory for all students to visit parliament and the Rijksmuseum during their school career. Now the students are planning to come visit parliament on their own accord and he's throwing a fit. I estimate chances of riot police being deployed against this evil menace within 3 weeks as 50/50.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shibawanko posted:

So, you're a EU citizen with a Japanese wife? I'm a bit surprised her moving in is hard. The official information site shows it as fairly automatic, you just need to prove that you're married and she can get a visa.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm
Then after staying a while she can become naturalized citizen of your country (typically 3 to 5 years of stay without long interruptions, and need to know the local language) and eschew the need for renewing visas from then on.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nimby posted:

LOL Belgium is also living in the dumbest timeline. We've been seeing pro-climate protests the last 2 months, including weekly student strikes. The Flemish minister for nature and agriculture (who's doing a poo poo job) was boasting 2 weeks ago how such mass movement strengthens her resolve to work for the climate.

Last night she was giving a speech for a group of farmers and claimed that the protests have been organized as part of a conspiracy to damage her, as revenge for the farmer protests of 2003 that cost the Green party the election back then. She even claimed to have been told this by our intelligence agency.

She's already said she may have misspoke, as the agency contradicted her soon after.

Specifically about her, I've heard rumours (read articles in Knack) that basically claim that Schauvliege's simply a figurehead and the real policy decisions are made by her cabinet chief. Fun detail, the deputy cabinet chief was put on non-active duty in november because he bypassed the environmental protection inspection in favour of an oil importer.

He was put back on active duty a month later.

She's such a good environmental minister.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

double nine posted:

Specifically about her, I've heard rumours (read articles in Knack) that basically claim that Schauvliege's simply a figurehead and the real policy decisions are made by her cabinet chief. Fun detail, the deputy cabinet chief was put on non-active duty in november because he bypassed the environmental protection inspection in favour of an oil importer.

He was put back on active duty a month later.

She's such a good environmental minister.

She's minister for agriculture, the rest of her title's for show

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Our politicians are reacting to plans of a student strike following the Belgian example by citing the law which makes education mandatory and skipping school illegal.

One of the biggest crybabies is the leader of the main Christian party, who in the last election was profiling himself with all kinds of idiotic plans to promote Dutchness, such as plans to make it mandatory for all students to visit parliament and the Rijksmuseum during their school career. Now the students are planning to come visit parliament on their own accord and he's throwing a fit. I estimate chances of riot police being deployed against this evil menace within 3 weeks as 50/50.

The absolute worst is seeing the scum broadcasting things like "she's just a kid, not an expert so why should we listen PS did you know she's autistic PSPS we heard she got depression sometimes makes u think" like :fuckoff:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Grillfiend posted:

She's minister for agriculture, the rest of her title's for show

oh I know, but I still expected them to be somewhat competent at pretending to care about the other thing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

double nine posted:

oh I know, but I still expected them to be somewhat competent at pretending to care about the other thing.

Her cabinet released a map of forested areas in Flanders that counted mansions as forest, cause they have trees.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

nimby posted:

Her cabinet released a map of forested areas in Flanders that counted mansions as forest, cause they have trees.

Oh my God is that for real? Did anyone notice or complain about it?
Might be onto a setup to stop deforestation here.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lambert posted:

Austria lowered the voting age to 16 a few years back.

My German's not that good but I think this means "young people with or without a poo poo life"? Seems like a fairly stark designation if that's the right translation lol.

Anyway it seems to indicate that youth lean away from the fash.

e: oh it's based on their own perception of their life? I guess that's bad then.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 5, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The question asked was about the future development of Austria, whether young people will have it better than their parents.

junge Generation wird eher besser leben = young generation will have a better life
junge Generation wird eher schlechter leben = young generation will have a worse life
junge Generation wird gleich gut leben = young generation will have it about as good as their parents

This is the graph you're looking for (note that it doesn't include smaller parties).

The threshold is at 4%. ÖVP is center right, FPÖ is populist right, SPÖ is center left, Neos are neoliberals, Pilz is a split off the green party (Grüne).

Election result for comparison:

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

edit: yeah what Lambert says, even with better graphs.

Bedshaped posted:

My German's not that good but I think this means "young people with or without a poo poo life"? Seems like a fairly stark designation if that's the right translation lol.

Anyway it seems to indicate that youth lean away from the fash.

It says "Electoral behavior in perspective of the expected future development in Austria"
With the three bars going with "young generation will have a better life", "young generation will have a worse life" and "young generation's life will be as good as it's now".

It means that if they expect their life to be improved, they will stick to the social democratic party (SPÖ) and the conservative party (ÖVP) plus some smaller parties, similar outcome if their life is not expected to change, only with the right wing populists (FPÖ) being stronger.
Only if they expect their life to become worse (middle bar) they go to elect the right wing en mass, reducing the SPÖ drastically and the ÖVP taking nasty hits.

Those statistics exist in similar fashion in various European country. As soon as you believe your life will turn to poo poo, you elect those that say Trump-y stuff, if you don't you rather stick to the status quo.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 5, 2019