Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-62-sanitizing-our-settler-colonial-past-with-nation-of-immigrants-rhetoric

this podcast is rly good, i remember being cyber bullied in here a couple of years ago for making some of these arguments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah the argument that "the melting pot" as an idea is racist is pretty common

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i did not listen to the podcast though

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
your m8 adam johnson nyc is on there

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

now im definitely not

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
hes good

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Berke Negri posted:

yeah the argument that "the melting pot" as an idea is racist is pretty common

What do they discuss? I could listen to it later.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Berke Negri posted:

it's like npr's on the media if npr wasn't complete poo poo

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47063973

Looks like the Americans used to be all about fighting global warming.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Pirate Radar posted:

the melting pot's white supremacist origins, amerikan colonialism, etc

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

hmm they do make a good case for white genocide

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pirate Radar posted:

Berke Negri posted:

but at least for melting pot the goal is assimilation towards a sort of (white coded) American identity

the kind of classical example of this being liberal favorite teddy roosevelts bit on it

quote:

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

so the problems with this is obviously assimilation as a goal but the unsaid thing is that it is also a trap because no immigrant will ever fully satisfy the conditions because they will be ever shifting (there is no "American values" codified anywhere but in the eye of the beholder which is usually white and even for whites this can be stripped in different ways when needed)

no clue what the podcast talks about but that's pretty 101 above so I'm guessing it's more modern inclusionary language while not transparently assimilationists like above can still echo the same sentiments (we want SKILLED immigrants that can contribute to America, etc)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

im the implication made by the author that russia is the most modern country

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Berke Negri posted:

but at least for melting pot the goal is assimilation towards a sort of (white coded) American identity

the kind of classical example of this being liberal favorite teddy roosevelts bit on it

so the problems with this is obviously assimilation as a goal but the unsaid thing is that it is also a trap because no immigrant will ever fully satisfy the conditions because they will be ever shifting (there is no "American values" codified anywhere but in the eye of the beholder which is usually white and even for whites this can be stripped in different ways when needed)

no clue what the podcast talks about but that's pretty 101 above so I'm guessing it's more modern inclusionary language while not transparently assimilationists like above can still echo the same sentiments (we want SKILLED immigrants that can contribute to America, etc)

Yeah that’s 101 so I was curious what they bring up, if there’s anything past that stuff, how they present it (more didactic, or talking to immigrants about their experiences, or what have you). I might listen tonight to see what it’s like.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
“The United States is a nation of immigrants.” It’s a phrase we hear constantly – often said with the best of intentions and, in today’s increasingly cruel environment, meant as a strong rebuke of Donald Trump and his white nationalist administration.

The metaphor of the “melting pot” serves a similar purpose: the United States is strong and noble because we are a place that takes people in from across the globe, an inclusive, welcoming, compassionate in-gathering of humanity - e pluribus unum - "out of many, one." It’s a romantic idea – and often evoked as a counter to xenophobic, anti-immigrant rhetoric.

But how historically accurate are these phrases and the national narratives they entrench? And what if, instead of combating white nationalism, they subtly promote it?

On this episode, we dissect the notion that the United States is simply a rainbow collection of disparate groups coming together and breakdown how, in many ways, this absolves us of our past and present as a violent, white-settler colony.

Our guest is historian Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im the implication made by the author that russia is the most modern country

They're the bulwark against the insidious Georgian menace; of course they're the most modern.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pikachode posted:

:supaburn:

what specific species do you mostly have to battle? my area is the california of the south so they're probably friends of mine

here's another friend

https://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=3534

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah that’s 101 so I was curious what they bring up, if there’s anything past that stuff, how they present it (more didactic, or talking to immigrants about their experiences, or what have you). I might listen tonight to see what it’s like.

yeah I'm guessing it'd be a study in advanced racisms

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

the whole system is only racist in it's construction so there's a lot to mine

the first real hard immigration legislation is from 1882 and called the Chinese Exclusion Act so

like there were some stipulations on who could become a citizen from other countries before then but actually codifying who can come in and be kicked out it really starts there

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 2, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol turns out it's white supremacy to say we're a nation of immigrants to promote immigration in tyool 2019 when the overwhelming immigration issue in the us pertains to mexicans seeking a better life. i swear if some people didn't have their seething hatred of liberals to cling to, they'd have nothing at all

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

shut the gently caress up volkerball

it's actually central americans seeking a better life by 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

they're from those little dots south of mexico if you swap your google map west of the MENA region for a second

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
America isn't a Nation, it's a racket.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

they're from those little dots south of mexico if you swap your google map west of the MENA region for a second

i know where they are, they all got that pensionado poo poo going on. those immigrants pass all the old white people tryin to live large on a social security check going the other way.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

only pass all the the old white people checks im seeing is jesus christ gently caress me are you for real

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you're on some of that jagerdewster bullshit again aren't you

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eat poo poo vb

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Berke Negri posted:

only pass all the the old white people checks im seeing is jesus christ gently caress me are you for real

hes talking about snowbirds what are you complaining about

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1091793217895436290?s=19

day is going pretty well

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gov northam once again proving virginians are the dumbest people on earth thanks and god bless

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

how is he explaining apologizing for being in the photo previously if he isn't actually in the photo?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

how is he explaining apologizing for being in the photo previously if he isn't actually in the photo?

he was thinking of this other time he did blackface that totally uncool still but a costume contest

https://twitter.com/13AdrianaDeAlba/status/1091826263810076672

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
lol i was not expecting that, globulus is one of our most beloved trees and a loving pain in the rear end to propagate, i'm glad it's found its own home in the melting pot

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

eat poo poo vb

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i'm happy to see our glorious trees taking over america. we're doing our best to gently caress everything over down south but we don't understand just how resilient nature is

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
working in ecology over the next 40-50 years is going to be loving insane and i'm pumped for it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pikachode posted:

lol i was not expecting that, globulus is one of our most beloved trees and a loving pain in the rear end to propagate, i'm glad it's found its own home in the melting pot

it's not too prevalent in southern california (i hear it can be a different story up north) but a bunch of really robust ones are in a project site and they refuse to die

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/roqchams/status/1091863552632053760

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

gov northam once again proving virginians are the dumbest people on earth thanks and god bless

Ohio still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Ohio still exists.

Indiana too.