Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've been priming in one of the stairwells in my building and it definitely builds up and fast, but I'm in there for a minute or two at a time so I'm not overly concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Inspector_666 posted:

I've been priming in one of the stairwells in my building and it definitely builds up and fast, but I'm in there for a minute or two at a time so I'm not overly concerned.
Here’s a plot twist for you: you’re currently living in a Jacob’s Ladder-esque purgatory-coma because of your spraypainting habits, and don’t realize it.

Want proof? Ask yourself: who’s the president of the United States in your mind right now? It doesn’t make sense, does it?
The signs have been there all along.

Use spraypaint outdoors, kids.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Xenomrph posted:

Here’s a plot twist for you: you’re currently living in a Jacob’s Ladder-esque purgatory-coma because of your spraypainting habits, and don’t realize it.

Want proof? Ask yourself: who’s the president of the United States in your mind right now? It doesn’t make sense, does it?
The signs have been there all along.

Use spraypaint outdoors, kids.

It's 8 degrees and windy and I gotta finish these drat robots get off my back. Also if I'm spraying on my deck I probably have a cigarette in my mouth anyway so it's never gonna be good for my lungs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
lotta people in this thread need to get themselves a loving airbrush.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yeast posted:

I don't trust myself to take care of it well enough, tbh. As well as not having anywhere good to use it.

I'd love one though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'll look into an airbrush when my hobby setup isn't "annex the table nobody really used in the living room and feel bad because you think the people you live with secretly resent you taking it over."

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Bringin' back black lung, one tiny plastic spaceman at a time.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Cross postin some gitz what I done

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Yeast posted:

Post your lungs

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
What's worse: spending money on an airbrush and having a hard time cleaning it, or lung cancer?

Don't spray can inside.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

inscrutable horse posted:

Post your lungs

https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-p1-dust-mist-work-mate-disposable-respirator-3-pack_p5810071

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
How cold can you spray in? I live in winnipeg. It's a problem.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I grip the model’s base with my teeth and then spray directly at my own face.

I do make sure to do this outside, of course.
:lol: I just snort paint then blow through the nose in the general direction of the models.

In a closed non-ventilated space, gotta protect the environment outside.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

This is wisdom, but a rattle can is still the way to go for terrain or yuge models

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Finished up the guy in the middle (as mentioned in the Keep Painting thread, I'd had that mini for at least 10 years if not longer and never painted it) after my flock & grass tufts arrived in the mail. The other two on either side of him I'd painted up almost a year or so ago, but I rebased them in order to match the latest one so they didn't look too out of place with each other if I wanted to use them in skirmish games and whatnot.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Airbrushing still def. needs ventilation too - BIL was painting his Battlesisters in the basement with airbrush. Went to sleep down there and woke up with a bad taste and a headache that easied instantly when I went upstairs.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I spray paint outside on my walkway and airbrush next to an open window with a fan next to me. But i'm lucky enough to live in Southern California, so I don't have to deal with lovely weather often.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I just have a giant room upstairs that I only have a hobby table in so far, I just primed 3 dudes next to the window with the mask on, left for a few with the window cracked and it was fine a half hour later.

Working on my Deathwatch Cassius and the 3 coolest of the 4 assassins tonight. Haven't painted consistently since I moved in, and it feels good to make incremental progress, should have a gaming table up soon, too

Exciting times in Aristotland

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
I hand prime with gesso. Hopefully no cancer for me!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It feels like I've gotten an old miscasted version because the angle for these Death Cult Assassins are way off. And I'm not sure I can right them up without it looking even more unnatural, or snap them off by the ankle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Finished some robots and their boss last night. Hopefully it's worth the black lung.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

It feels like I've gotten an old miscasted version because the angle for these Death Cult Assassins are way off. And I'm not sure I can right them up without it looking even more unnatural, or snap them off by the ankle.

If they're resin, heat them up with a hair dryer or submerge them in hot water and bend them carefully. If they're metal, bend s-l-o-w-l-y.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just finished this base for my 40k imperial knight helverin. Basically followed the Vince Venturella's urban ruin tutorial but tried to shift the color palette a bit towards red since my dudes are all supposed to be fighting on a Mars-like planet. The helverin itself is almost done too, I'll post him when it's all put together.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Two Beans posted:

If they're resin, heat them up with a hair dryer or submerge them in hot water and bend them carefully. If they're metal, bend s-l-o-w-l-y.

It's the latter but I'm afraid that it will just look even more unnatural because the issue lies with how the feet are positioned and I don't think I can bend those.
But I might try anyway.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Cooked Auto posted:

can't wait to see your finished Smooth Criminal squad

Good luck!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Cooked Auto posted:

It's the latter but I'm afraid that it will just look even more unnatural because the issue lies with how the feet are positioned and I don't think I can bend those.
But I might try anyway.

You can bend pewter pretty drat far. More extreme bends weaken the metal a bit, but I've found that "painting" a layer of superglue helps strengthen it, since superglue is very strong against being pulled apart (I also do this for very thin pewter bits, like true-scale-ish swords). You can also just run a pin through the weak area, and/or cut the model apart to do a more-extreme repositioning.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is air brush painting near a window + table fan + mask, sufficient to ensure lung protection?

Genuinely asking.

Also, do pot paints create fumes that are harmful or is it just lint that is airborne?

What’s harmful, paints and primers or just primers?

I’d love to read science literature on best practices. Joking aside, dying early and painfully because of an easily prevented component of my hobby... well that’s no good my friends.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can bend pewter pretty drat far. More extreme bends weaken the metal a bit, but I've found that "painting" a layer of superglue helps strengthen it, since superglue is very strong against being pulled apart (I also do this for very thin pewter bits, like true-scale-ish swords). You can also just run a pin through the weak area, and/or cut the model apart to do a more-extreme repositioning.

Turns out I could in fact bend it pretty well around the ankle so the two Smooth Assassins are standing straight once more.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is air brush painting near a window + table fan + mask, sufficient to ensure lung protection?

Genuinely asking.

Also, do pot paints create fumes that are harmful or is it just lint that is airborne?

What’s harmful, paints and primers or just primers?

I’d love to read science literature on best practices. Joking aside, dying early and painfully because of an easily prevented component of my hobby... well that’s no good my friends.

Yeah that’d be fine. If you want to go the extra mile get a paint booth with a fan and vent it out the window.

It’s not the paint that’s toxic it’s the propellant. If you’re using an airbrush the it’s also tiny vaporized paint flecks. Any solid matter in your lungs isn’t great, even flour and wheat dust etc. But you inhale crap all day long, so as long as you aren’t huffing it and give yourself replenishing fresh air and/or a mask you should be fine.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 2, 2019

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Genuinely asking.

yes, completely.

The mask alone will ensure lung protection, the window and fan are just nice to prevent too much overspray.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Important detail: it's safe to spray acrylics like that. If you've picked up lacquer paints, you're really not going to want to spray those indoors without an actual spray booth.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
What if I picked up a bottle of 18th century mummy brown paint and want to airbrush my space marines with that, is it okay to inhale mummies?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Badablack posted:

What if I picked up a bottle of 18th century mummy brown paint and want to airbrush my space marines with that, is it okay to inhale mummies?

Okay? It's a miracle medicine, you'll be healthy as a horse!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2101801/

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Badablack posted:

An 18th century mummy brown paint would probably be an oil paint, so you'd need to thin it with white spirits for airbrushing. That'd mean you'd want to treat it like a lacquer.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
What's a good, cost effective, way to store minis?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Zev posted:

What's a good, cost effective, way to store minis?

Shoeboxes

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Trying out a new method for painting vehicles and vehicle-like minis I was shown by someone on Discord. Didn't take a whole bunch of time, and it doesn't look half bad. Still need to finish a few details (skull, hoses, rokits), but it's looking pretty good, I think.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Badablack posted:

For extra authentic spiciness, paint some Thousand Sons with it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Last time I talk about my fetishes with anyone on this board. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
20 Night Goblins done.
Custom banner and pole, not sold on the freehand design, but uh, its goblins so it will do.

Better pics sometime maybe if i can be bothered setting up the light box.