Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

IronClaymore posted:

Yes, dump all the useless bitcoins onto hamas. It is the only thing they're good for.

The Israeli intelligence have milked them dry on actual tactical targets. Heh, makes me almost wonder if that was the plan all along. As in, make sure there was a simmering underground of displaced turks to fight against them, just so they'd evolve a state of the art intelligence, military, and paramilitary apparatus.

Like paper targets at a shooting range, only these targets shoot back. Also some of the smaller ones just throw rocks, what do you do then, young 18 year old teenager with a rifle?

The famous Turks of Palestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rad Russian posted:

So is this the Winklevoss' poo poo? NYC subway is absolutely flooded with this now. Wonder how much they're spending to scam more suckers.

Postin' from the past here, but I couldn't help fixing it. Sorry if the joke has been made.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

McGiggins posted:

Just becuase they havent touched the wallets yet doesnt mean thats not the plan.

They could long game it by sitting on the wallets for a year until hopefully people forget about it, and then try to move it in a single transaction to hopefully slip under the radar?

lol I would hope that anyone who's been looking at the price charts over the past year didn't come up with a long-con scheme to steal butts and then sit on them for years

god drat there are probably people out there who exit scammed in late 2017 with the same plan. wouldn't that just be the biggest bitch, to commit major crimes and become an international fugitive and then have your stolen fortune turn into a pumpkin?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Butcher posted:

Postin' from the past here, but I couldn't help fixing it. Sorry if the joke has been made.

what's the asterisk

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
* stored forever once we find a dying guy fall guy to take the blame forever.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pham Nuwen posted:

It'll be possible to check if those coins get spent now, right?

as I understand it ... they're still not sure what the addresses all are

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

old farts going to the grave with the safe combination are nothing new. they just need to take an angle grinder to the wallets

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alan Smithee posted:

If I ran an exchange I would exit scam by faking my death and leaving a Ready Player One series of puzzles. Winner is the heir to the fortune.

There is no solution
You have solutions to the first few puzzles but number 6 or 7 is just a word square made of random letters (except for penus)

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
A good trick to check if somebody is spending bitcoins for illegal purchases is to check to see if there are any transactions on the blockchain at all.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Bet you anything they all knew he was dying and he was paid to be the fall guy.

Live it up on company dollar during the last stage of your life and take the credit for a mistake after your death so the rest of your associates can skedaddle of with the rest of the money?

Say it isn't so.

this is bitcoin. more likely they gave him nothing and pinned it all on him after his death.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

what's the asterisk

Was just going for the idea of dense fine print legalese absolving them of any actual requirements to allow you to actually sell or them being required to store it safely.

Buying though, we guarantee that won't be a problem.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

People keep telling me that bitcoin is the currency of the future but now its looking like instead its just Latency :grin:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
There's no loving way I'll ever buy bitcoin or any other crypto currency until they are SOX compliant.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

There's no loving way I'll ever buy bitcoin or any other crypto currency until they are SOX compliant.

:same:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My understanding is that Coinbase is SOX compliant now, but why does that make a difference to you?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm glad taht tango alpha delta and zaurg can finally buy in. a bitcoin success story :unsmith:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Subjunctive posted:

My understanding is that Coinbase is SOX compliant now, but why does that make a difference to you?

Do you even know what SOX compliance is? Yeah, it does make a huge difference.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

poverty goat posted:

I'm glad taht tango alpha delta and zaurg can finally buy in. a bitcoin success story :unsmith:

Thank you poverty goat. You make wise words.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you even know what SOX compliance is? Yeah, it does make a huge difference.

Yes, I’ve been part of IPO preparations before. What specifically do you want that SOX provides? (Versus, for example, just audited GAAP.)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, I’ve been part of IPO preparations before. What specifically do you want that SOX provides? (Versus, for example, just audited GAAP.)

Not really interested in measuring dick size buddy. Here's the comprehensive summary of benefits to investors. SOX compliance is a Good Thing tm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes%E2%80%93Oxley_Act

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I agree that it’s a good thing, but it’s oriented around protecting investors, and you aren’t an investor in an exchange. I’m not familiar with any advantages it has for deposit-holders, which is why I asked what you and Zaurg felt them to be.

I don’t care about the size of your dick, I just wanted to learn something.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I agree that it’s a good thing, but it’s oriented around protecting investors, and you aren’t an investor in an exchange. I’m not familiar with any advantages it has for deposit-holders, which is why I asked what you and Zaurg felt them to be.

I'm pretty confident that a CEO couldn't go on vacation to, say, I dunno, India with his wife and then fake his death without a huge investigation - if the Exchange was SOX compliant.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm pretty confident that a CEO couldn't go on vacation to, say, I dunno, India with his wife and then fake his death without a huge investigation - if the Exchange was SOX compliant.

I honestly don’t know what SOX changes about it. They would need to give immediate guidance to investors, and appoint a new CEO so they could issue financial statements, but SOX is basically just:

- no misleading financial statements, for real this time
- CEO and CFO criminally liable
- tons of record keeping (this is the big part of the work of becoming compliant)

If there’s an investigation of faked death by the CEO, what’s going to be different with SOX? Their burner phones aren’t going to be covered by the record-keeping infrastructure, so it’s not like discovery is more useful.

What makes you so confident? If they were SOX compliant they would also be public, so there would be more governance oversight in theory, but I’m not able to connect the dots. Could you spell it out a bit more for me?

Anyway, as I said, I think Coinbase is SOX-compliant to the extent it makes sense for a private company, and they acquired a licensed broker/dealer, so they may be what you’re looking for. You may care more about FinCEN stuff, ultimately, or FDIC and equivalent insurance for deposited cryptocurrencies.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SOX is just a magical plot device itt, kind of like bitcoin

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh. That’s disappointing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Cashsocking

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wasn't there a goon who would come in to gloat about how much money he was making by day trading bitcoin years ago?

whatever happened to him

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Those people only pop in when the price has been going up for a while.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

as I understand it ... they're still not sure what the addresses all are

Bitcoin!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

wasn't there a goon who would come in to gloat about how much money he was making by day trading bitcoin years ago?

whatever happened to him

you mean Nebby I think. Hopefully he took his court ordered medicine

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I think Adar too but he got hit with a ban+month in D&D for talking about how much he likes money and how he has so much of it but he hasn't come back yet.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Adar used to give me good bitcoin tips

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I remember when you parlayed that into wealth beyond measure. Good times.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Subjunctive posted:

But what of those of us who do?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jailbrekr posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jailbrekr posted:

Don’t let me get between you and tango’s dick, by any means.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

McGiggins posted:

Just becuase they havent touched the wallets yet doesnt mean thats not the plan.

They could long game it by sitting on the wallets for a year until hopefully people forget about it, and then try to move it in a single transaction to hopefully slip under the radar?

It looks like they waited an hour or so after the news broke on zdnet. I wonder why they don't think that there's time to play a long game? :allears:

:reddit: posted:

Full analysis here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinCA/comments/amb73w/quadrigacx_ltc_cold_wallet_list_and_analysis/

This post identifies the litecoin cold wallets that Quadriga uses. Funds are being moved out... this means that the private keys are in fact not "lost" and we're being played. Gerald or someone else with the private keys are literally moving our money out as we speak.

Have a look at the timestamped movements in these wallets:

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/ltc/address.dws?LLVC5kcWfHvY3Gonv9jYfi7BpwBStgf1AF.htm

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/ltc/address.dws?LXTQdps2Pf83WdAXMinboiqLsEjSWrwJCD.htm

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/ltc/address.dws?LcSNbqqVpo1d7nkmGgCb9fvnYJv2xeiLdN.htm

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/ltc/address.dws?LTU2cds4aSdXFip9sV4gXphnhxGQjgfjmg.htm

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Complications posted:

It looks like they waited an hour or so after the news broke on zdnet. I wonder why they don't think that there's time to play a long game? :allears:

Lol, Bitcoin is the best.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zaurg posted:

Adar used to give me good bitcoin tips

oh so he was responsible for you losing most of your money and crawling out of the market destroyed and completely oblivious to what happened?

If you believe people just making up gambling theories because they sound confident then how can you refuse to listen to dozens of people telling you good financial advice in unison?

you want to gamble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
:allears: i love being right :allears:

Excellent find, complications.