Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Consolidating the multiple chit-chat threads into one wouldn't be the worst thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DJCobol posted:

I was just wondering where that thread went. What happened?

It got moved to AI because of all the car chat.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

DJCobol posted:

Legends said if GGGC mentioned his M2 competition one more time, the thread would be punished. Lo and behold, a mention was made and the thread was banished

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Joined a new gym last year and it's really a pretty nice place, class sizes are very small and all the equipment is brand new. I know all the owners at this point, and it has a real family vibe when you go in.

Today I got an email that is a "reminder" about an annual 'maintenance fee' that they are going to charge everyone in June- $69. This has literally never been communicated to anyone, is not in any documentation I received when I singed up, and isn't on their website at all. Trying to decide how much of a stink I should make about this. It's not enough to leave the place over but, what the hell you can't just spring a $70 bill on people and pretend like everyone already knew it was coming.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Joined a new gym last year and it's really a pretty nice place, class sizes are very small and all the equipment is brand new. I know all the owners at this point, and it has a real family vibe when you go in.

Today I got an email that is a "reminder" about an annual 'maintenance fee' that they are going to charge everyone in June- $69. This has literally never been communicated to anyone, is not in any documentation I received when I singed up, and isn't on their website at all. Trying to decide how much of a stink I should make about this. It's not enough to leave the place over but, what the hell you can't just spring a $70 bill on people and pretend like everyone already knew it was coming.
It costs nothing to be a squeaky wheel and the outcome might be that you don't pay $70.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sirotan posted:

On the one hand, this is pretty normal. On the other hand, it should really be in your documentation. Decide whether this is something worth leaving your gym over if they call your bluff about not wanting to pay the maintenance fee before you go in there to gripe.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

DJCobol posted:

How do all y'all not have threads bookmarked? I never leave the user control panel.

also I am so glad it was moved, I have been waiting to find a good place to ask about buying a Miata and that is now the perfect place for that question

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

moana posted:

How do all y'all not have threads bookmarked? I never leave the user control panel.

also I am so glad it was moved, I have been waiting to find a good place to ask about buying a Miata and that is now the perfect place for that question
You've changed my world. I'm going to just do this now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hoodwinker posted:

You've changed my world. I'm going to just do this now.

I missed the new BWM thread for about 2 weeks since no one posted a link when the last one was closed. I was just sitting there thinking "why is this thing still closed? It didn't seem like anything too crazy was said". Then I had to go look for the new thread...

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

spwrozek posted:

I missed the new BWM thread for about 2 weeks since no one posted a link when the last one was closed. I was just sitting there thinking "why is this thing still closed? It didn't seem like anything too crazy was said". Then I had to go look for the new thread...

Yeah only discovered it again today because my spouse was like how are you not up to date on the BWM thread and I'm all "last I checked it was still closed????"

How was I supposed to know there was a new thread. :downs:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Yeah only discovered it again today because my spouse was like how are you not up to date on the BWM thread and I'm all "last I checked it was still closed????"

I was a little surprised a mod hadn't made a post in the locked thread linking to a new one; you're right. I only saw the new thread after maybe a week when I got bored and went up from another bookmarked BFC thread up to the subforum root to see if there were new goon help threads I hadn't seen yet.

Jan 11, 2004

moana posted:

*creeps slowly on cane* I'm still browsing these here forums the same way I was 15 years ago, no newfangled bookmarks here, no sirree

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Didn't have time to make coffee this morning so I bought one, but around the block is a Capitol one bank/cafe and if you use a Capitol one card coffee is half off so at least it was a reasonable price

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Starting to browse the forums from the UCP has been the single best quality of life update in my 17 year tenure here.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

I have a bookmark to BFC, and then I look for my stars down the left side. I can't miss out on a new Zaurg thread, or anything else crazy going on by sticking to only a few predetermined threads.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Where is it?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It was in AI but it literally just got moved to PI.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

*creeps slowly on cane* I'm still browsing these here forums the same way I was 15 years ago, no newfangled bookmarks here, no sirree

I thought we'd had them that long ago, but you young whippersnappers must have a better memory than I do, because my account is old enough to vote! :smugbert: :corsair:

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Not really sure where the right thread to post this is but I could use some help weighing some options and doing further research. My wife was offered a promotion with a significant raise but it would require us to relocate across the country from LA to NYC. Salary wise with her raise she'd be making almost as much as we make combined now so I'm not completely worried about finances. I also work in the finance/investment industry so me getting a job is not really a concern of mine with the small chance my existing company would let me work remotely.

However we are trying to cost out how much the move would be, what our cars our worth if we sell them now, and all the other factors that we are probably not realizing exist. Also to throw a wrench into things most likely both of us would want to move back to LA/Southern California within the next 3-5 years.

Any ideas/resources I should be looking into? She already turned down the offer one but they came back with more money and they need a decision in a week.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does the offer come with a relocation package? Otherwise figure $10-$15k for moving expenses all-in. Obviously figure out the cost of living difference between LA and NYC, mainly housing within an acceptable commute radius.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
5k relocation but they aren't budging on increasing that.

We also need to figure out if it's worth while to ship our furniture across the country or start anew. Throwing it in storage indefinitely in LA doesn't seem cost effective and while nicer than IKEA furniture it's nothing irreplaceable.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How big is your household? Studio? 4 BD?

$5k is low end what it costs to move a 1 BD apartment cross country.

Unless you have strong attachment to your belongings, I'd sell/donate and buy new (cheap) stuff for your 3-5 year stint in NYC.

You'll almost certainly be living in a smaller space in NYC so you'll be wanting new furniture (and fewer cars!) anyway.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I moved a one bedroom plus apartment from Michigan to Denver for about $4k with driving out with two cars, flights back and forth, using untied movers. Just use Skype for your apartment walks, pick one, call up United and Mayflower for a price to move it, fly out. I think you can be pretty close to 5k if you are going to sell your cars.

Assuming it is just the two of you in a smallish place.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Right now we're in a 1br + loft that I have no idea the square footage but is plenty spacious. Assuming we didn't keep most if not all of our furniture I imagine we'd mostly be moving clothing, some kitchen items, books, and other things of that nature.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
We're kind of in the same situation. Girlfriend is applying to a job in Salem, OR. We live in Madison, WI. She has a masters in archaeology and there aren't tons of jobs. She found something here and moved from Spokane to be with me, but she hates her current job and it doesn't pay the greatest. Her latest task is to print off her boss's emails going back to 2001 because he's retiring and they need to be archived for state records. One day she was assigned to find the 6 worst chairs in the office to replace. She had all day to do it.

I imagine we would end up just driving a U-haul cross country. Fly back (I have a lot of airline miles saved up that we could use), and then drive back again with our cars. It's a lovely drive (we did it the opposite direction when she moved here from Spokane), but not the end of the world. Either that or get a POD or something.

I don't really want to do it, but I would have an easier time finding a job anywhere in the country than she would and I want to be supportive of her. Plus I've been at my current job for 10+ years and this may be the kind of thing that gets me off my rear end and into something else, because I've become pretty complacent.

Who knows, maybe she won't get it. It sounds like archaeology jobs with benefits that aren't seasonal are hard to come by, so I'm sure everyone in the country is applying for it.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 25, 2019

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Not quite sure where the BWM megathread is traveling to right now, but in case anyone hasn't tested their blood pressure recently and feels like doing so, Zaurg is currently up to his usual poo poo in GBS, 357 pages into doing nothing productive whatsoever.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sundae posted:

Not quite sure where the BWM megathread is traveling to right now, but in case anyone hasn't tested their blood pressure recently and feels like doing so, Zaurg is currently up to his usual poo poo in GBS, 357 pages into doing nothing productive whatsoever.
I'm tracking both threads. BWM is in PI right now. I gotta say it's lost a lot of traffic not being home here in BFC.

Jan 11, 2004
Yeah it was funny for like 2 days?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Bring BWM home again

Ban zaurg

Single payer healthcare

That's my election platform

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

moana posted:

Bring BWM home again

Ban zaurg

Single payer healthcare

Dang dude, you've got my vote.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

moana posted:

Bring BWM home again

Ban zaurg

Single payer healthcare

Horses for all!!!
:horse:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hoodwinker posted:

Horses for all!!!
:horse:

I don't think PI is into horses as much as we are.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

moana posted:

Bring BWM home again

Ban zaurg

Single payer healthcare

Moana for prez.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Moana for prez.

I ain't electing no rich, elitist author!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lol, less than an hour into BWM:TFR and somebody posts their 100+ gun collection and 1.8M mortgage debt.

A good stop on the tour!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
a boat in every driveway, a horse in every pot

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I changed my own oil today because it was finally warm (40+F) and because I watched a video on YouTube by some old dude who cut open a bunch of fuel filters.

the cheap filters are hot garbage, get wix or napa gold (they're the same filter)

I also replaced my air filter and there were a bunch of oak seeds underneath it lol. gotta do the break pads later but that's for another day.

easy poo poo.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Started selling my plasma again. Last did it in like 2005 because I was a poor college kid. I don't really need the money, but its an easy couple hundred bucks a month and I'm just going to put all of it towards my Roth IRA.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blood money for retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Couple hundred bucks per month... for plasma? For real?