Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Nasgate posted:

Twisted Metal kind of lived and breathed the 90s edgy aesthetic so I don't think it's coming back.

90's nostalgia is happening though. Bring it back and keep David Jaffe far away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Vigilante 8 was already sort of a BR, as much as the hardware of the time allowed.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

CuddlyZombie posted:

Bad news: there are also Bangaa and Nu Mou.

Good news: They aren't playable.

This post is violence, Bangaa and Seeq should have been the new race choices in the expansion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonight's video game is filing my 2018 taxes. :homebrew:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How is it compared to last year? I hear the new 2018 patch lowers your score drastically

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm a Yoshi main

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nasgate posted:

I'm a Yoshi main

https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/1085320705095413762

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FFXIV seems to be shaping up like my dream Final Fantasy. A bunch of stuff from past and future games thrown together with a bunch of cameo fights. I hope they throw in the races from 9 and 10 someday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

FFXIV seems to be shaping up like my dream Final Fantasy. A bunch of stuff from past and future games thrown together with a bunch of cameo fights. I hope they throw in the races from 9 and 10 someday.

Unfortunately it's held back by a lot of crappy gated content, hours of boring dialog and cutscenes, and forced group dungeons to advance. :/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they say viera is gonna be the last player race, but maybe npc races I guess, there's already bangaa and nu mou npcs

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

they say viera is gonna be the last player race, but maybe npc races I guess, there's already bangaa and nu mou npcs

I'll take it, I just want to see the Burmecians and Ronso again also the hippo people, maybe the Hypello.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I do think though that, so far, I might put RE7 above RE2 remake. Jack > Mr X, any day

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

maybe the Hypello.

what the gently caress

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
On the topic of the ffxiv nier automata raids:

SirPhoebos posted:

Everyone's missed the real big question for the Nier Raid:

Can we get TDI to play an MMO?

edit: man that reminds me of the drakengard 1 thread, and one of the reactions to the final boss being a cacophonous rhythm game was: "And with a final lunge, drakengard knocks Illbleed to the floor, reigning supreme over the lp subforum."

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 3, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

I do think though that, so far, I might put RE7 above RE2 remake. Jack > Mr X, any day

Mr X is way more intimidating than Jack and is put to much better use.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Mr. X is such a loving character with all his little oddities. I’m sad he never got his hat back.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

James Woods Fan posted:

90's nostalgia is happening though. Bring it back and keep David Jaffe far away from it.

Who owns the Twisted Metal IP these days? Sony proper? On a related note, I watched the last husk of the company that created Twisted Metal go down a couple years ago here in Utah. It was surreal to work there in its sad final months.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Time to BEAT MY MEAT SABER

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, the voice actor for Xemnas in KH3 is the same as the announcer in Soulcalibur VI.

WELCOME BACK TO THE STAGE OF TOY STORY

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody, KCB and I went on a trip out of town today to have a fun time mallratting and we ended up going into a board game store that we'd never been in before and just

Oh my god

The loving stench

It wasn't something where I wanted to gag, it was something where I felt like my lungs needed to be scraped raw, like I needed to vomit them up wash them out with bleach, it was such an awful stench that I felt like it was going to cause me to have an asthma attack.

It was this sickeningly thick stench that legitimately made it hard to breathe because of how thick the air felt.

Imagine that you've had a pet cone forced onto you. Now imagine that inside that pet cone, someone has glued and lit up 8 of those spiral mosquito incense burner things. The foul odor permeates throughout and sticks to you in a way that you feel only well and truly stained by it. On top of that, there is a scent that I can only really describe as "burnt, smoky piss" and the bouquet you'd expect from sitting next to a very physically active person who has never heard of bathing.

This wasn't just the dreadful smell of unwashed people, this was beyond that, and my god did it really gently caress with me when I got out of there and was able to breathe fresh air again. It felt so nice and my ocd kicked into overdrive as my body kept trying to force out any of the air I'd breathed in from that godawful place, the air that felt like it was caking the inside of my lungs. My body still feels like it needs to remove it, but I know that that is just the ocd and that I need to try and be in control here because the stench obviously isn't actually matted into my lungs.

Blech

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody, KCB and I went on a trip out of town today to have a fun time mallratting and we ended up going into a board game store that we'd never been in before and just

Oh my god

The loving stench

It wasn't something where I wanted to gag, it was something where I felt like my lungs needed to be scraped raw, like I needed to vomit them up wash them out with bleach, it was such an awful stench that I felt like it was going to cause me to have an asthma attack.

It was this sickeningly thick stench that legitimately made it hard to breathe because of how thick the air felt.

Imagine that you've had a pet cone forced onto you. Now imagine that inside that pet cone, someone has glued and lit up 8 of those spiral mosquito incense burner things. The foul odor permeates throughout and sticks to you in a way that you feel only well and truly stained by it. On top of that, there is a scent that I can only really describe as "burnt, smoky piss" and the bouquet you'd expect from sitting next to a very physically active person who has never heard of bathing.

This wasn't just the dreadful smell of unwashed people, this was beyond that, and my god did it really gently caress with me when I got out of there and was able to breathe fresh air again. It felt so nice and my ocd kicked into overdrive as my body kept trying to force out any of the air I'd breathed in from that godawful place, the air that felt like it was caking the inside of my lungs. My body still feels like it needs to remove it, but I know that that is just the ocd and that I need to try and be in control here because the stench obviously isn't actually matted into my lungs.

Blech

amateur

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's the ultimate board game strategy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ffxiv is fun but it's a serious time commitment. I don't even mean in the sense that endgame is a skinner box designed to keep you subbed (though it is), I mean in that the main story campaign to reach endgame is probably approaching 200 hours long by this point if you start from the beginning.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, its like playing 3 final fantasy games back to back at this point, and soon to be a fourth. if you want to play a final fantasy game its an incredible strength, because the main story of that game is one continuously long quest line that started 5 years ago and is extended every couple of months and is generally pretty good (and imo is the best FF from a storytelling perspective). if you don't want final fantasy in your MMO though then RIP you, especially during the couple of rough patches early on that are fairly explicitly filler that made it easier on the 2.0 team cleaning up the mess that was 14-1

they sell story skips now that get you up to whichever expansion you want to start at, but that just exacerbates the problem because you'll have zero hope at following along if you take that option. there's stuff in the most recent patch MSQ that is still directly following on from things that happened 5 years ago. 5.0 is going to include a new game+ feature to hopefully help skippers catch up on some of the more important quests but its a Big Game, I think the MSQ is up to like 600+ quests long now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It is absolutely the worst FF story ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like FFXIV but I like MMOs. Don't trick people who like normal video games into buying it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

homeless snail posted:

yeah, its like playing 3 final fantasy games back to back at this point, and soon to be a fourth. if you want to play a final fantasy game its an incredible strength, because the main story of that game is one continuously long quest line that started 5 years ago and is extended every couple of months and is generally pretty good (and imo is the best FF from a storytelling perspective). if you don't want final fantasy in your MMO though then RIP you, especially during the couple of rough patches early on that are fairly explicitly filler that made it easier on the 2.0 team cleaning up the mess that was 14-1

they sell story skips now that get you up to whichever expansion you want to start at, but that just exacerbates the problem because you'll have zero hope at following along if you take that option. there's stuff in the most recent patch MSQ that is still directly following on from things that happened 5 years ago. 5.0 is going to include a new game+ feature to hopefully help skippers catch up on some of the more important quests but its a Big Game, I think the MSQ is up to like 600+ quests long now

There is no way that isn't a mess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

I can tell what's going on in it so it's better than 13 at least

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

There is no way that isn't a mess.

It's a bit messy but not in the way you think. The story team cares an insane amount. Like, more than is probably healthy.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Sweet Tooth blows someone up, then gets out of the van and flosses. And if you pay $2.99 he'll dab too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Watched Babylon 5 pilot today and really liked it but holy hell that CG is dire! I mean it's impressive that it's 1993 I guess but scenes drop frames and some textures aren't even applied properly. And it's a little annoying because the set and costume design is great but instead of going for miniatures they went with a young technology that probably cost a lot of money.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

Watched Babylon 5 pilot today and really liked it but holy hell that CG is dire! I mean it's impressive that it's 1993 I guess but scenes drop frames and some textures aren't even applied properly. And it's a little annoying because the set and costume design is great but instead of going for miniatures they went with a young technology that probably cost a lot of money.
it's probably for the best that the show has no HD remaster because even at its highest budget, the CG is awful and the establishing shots of cities look like pre-rendered backgrounds from a playstation JRPG

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

it's probably for the best that the show has no HD remaster because even at its highest budget, the CG is awful and the establishing shots of cities look like pre-rendered backgrounds from a playstation JRPG

I wish B5 had the same pop culture impact that Star Trek the Next Generation had; that show was eventually remastered fully into 1080p and much of the CGI was completely redone, but that was justified due to how gigantic Star Trek is. Babylon 5 though is one of my absolute favorite TV shows, and I wish there was a current gen game based on it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Note to b5 watchers: you definitely dont need to finish the series. It becomes quite bad

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

In Training posted:

I like FFXIV but I like MMOs. Don't trick people who like normal video games into buying it.

I hate MMOs and I enjoyed FFXIV. There is forced multiplayer and I thought I was going to dislike that but it ended up being fine. This was mid-Heavensward so I spent a month or two finishing up all the content and immediately punched out when it became obvious that the story was over and the endgame gear grind had arrived.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

not all of it is amazing, but idk there's some genuinely really good storytelling in there. pretty much any time they focus on developing one character in particular it pays off incredibly well, like the tail end of 2.x and the first half of heavensward, and the yotsuyu stuff in stormblood. the political stories are usually pretty good also, they had a whole story arc about refugees that was incredibly sick, the writers take a lot of clear inspiration from matsuno. the overarching plot with the ascians is somewhere between underdeveloped and bad though, and hopefully they start wrapping that up in this coming expansion.

main thing I like about the storytelling is it's fairly humane. most RPGs and especially MMOs are super materialistic and revolve around "gently caress that guy up he took our thing"/"gently caress that guy up we need his thing" type plots. in ff14 though your group is all about going in and diplomatically figuring poo poo out and righting wrongs, usually loving people up just enough for them to listen to you. they do a really good job generally of attributing understandable motives and desires to people, even when it's horny fishmen that are murdering people to make room to lay their eggs

the other part of it I guess is just the insane volume of it, the MSQ is like a loving final fantasy soap opera. it's very unhurried storytelling

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 3, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's SRS for 200 hours

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

idk what that is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shot/Reverse Shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a image of someone talking and then someone else responding to their dialogue