Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Zudgemud posted:

I have no experience with non eating kids myself, so I don't have any good answers and I'm not sure the sucking reflex is that strong at that age. But, does boob delivered milk still go down? If so and no appropriate boob is present you might be able to fake it by holding your kid close to your bare skin so that it feels your body heat+smell and starts sucking/looking for a boob, and then just present the bottle.

Nice trick, we'll try that.

Sarah posted:

Definitely give the windi a shot.

Fwiw, my 3 month old doesn’t eat a whole lot, she only eats about 60-90ml every 3 hours. The pediatrician was surprised with how little she eats of breast milk but is quickly moving up in the weight percentile (she was evicted from me 4 weeks early due to preeclampsia ... we jumped from 10th to 50th percentile). Don’t get hung up on the food numbers. I used to stress out about it until a nurse explained to me that mothers who breastfeed have no clue how much their baby is eating, what matters to them is weight gain. So if I pump and see she only ate 40ml, who’s to say that’s abnormal? You can’t measure what a baby actually ate directly from a breast. If she’s eating small amounts but still gaining weight, she’s still getting the proper nutrition. It was a load off my mind.

What is important is that he’s gaining weight. At his 4 month checkup, if he’s not gaining then it’s time to worry. If you really think it’s bad, weigh yourself at home. Then hold him and weigh, then subtract your weight. If he’s lost weight, call your pediatrician ASAP.

Also check his gums. My 3 month old is already teething. If she’s crying from hunger but won’t eat, I give her some Tylenol and wait a bit, then she accepts the bottle. Teething this early sucks because she’s not gotten the idea that she can hold things and bring them to her mouth to chew on when she wants to for relief. She does spend a lot of time watching her hands so she’s getting there :)

I'll check if they have it at the local pharmacy. We got some Dentinox Infant Colic Drops today that we'll test, but I'm not sure if that's some snake oil crap.

I don't think his weight is a problem, but he's dropped a bit from his curve. The worst thing is, that he seems hungry, and we can't satisfy that. My girlfriend checked his gums a couple of times for teeth, and there doesn't seem to be any yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Zudgemud posted:

For gas, this is a thing that exist and which works in many cases.
https://www.amazon.com/FridaBaby-The-Windi/dp/B005IGTTIA/ref=pd_luc_s9_psadd_01_02_t_lh?tag=bccmty-20

Also, for breastfeeding, if the cheeks are sucked in when breastfeeding that is a sign the baby might have problems feeding due to shortened tongue frenulum. Proper feeding should be more of a chewing motion that involves the whole jaw, and should not produce sucked in cheeks. Source, our midwife.

I had no idea this was a ... thing.... I'll have to try this if we need it on our second one that's coming soon.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Fridababy makes some amazing products. We have a lot of them and they all work really well.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
We use the snot sucker thing. I feel like I am going to suck out their brain.

e: the 10 week-ish old twins have gone from like 15%/3% weight at birth to 75/40%. What chunkers.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
All of my kids have been like 80% for length and 100%+ for weight, for most of their first six months or so. Fat as hell, until they start moving around more and burning more calories.

(They start out merely above-average for weight, but gain like half a kilogram per week for the first bit. Fat babies are the best.)

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
My boy has slowly been working his way up the weight percentiles. I know kids have higher metabolism, but watching him put away food without spitting it all back up makes me wonder where it all goes.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
I have a problem with a Very Large Baby.

He turns 1 tomorrow, but according to the pediatrician his weight and height are perfectly on track for a 3 year old. He is wearing size 3T clothes, size 5 diapers, and size 8 shoes. I’m really glad that he’s so strong and healthy, but he is still developmentally just a baby.

Where we’re having trouble is that safety devices are getting too small/surmountable well before it’s safe for us to stop using them. He’s taller than all of the baby gates and yanks the pressure fit ones down when they annoy him. He’s not ready to leave the crib, but he’s a pro at climbing out of it. I bought a car seat that is meant to recline and transition through many ages, but he’s so tall I’m already worried about how far it has to recline, and he’s butting up against the weight limits for things like grocery cart seats, baby carriers, and high chairs.

What can I do to bridge the gap between “can” and “ready for”? He’s bright and sweet and generally very good, but he’s an active and curious child and I’m losing my mind trying to keep up with his strength and size when it comes to baby-proofing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have no idea where you would locate these, but have you looked into devices for special needs kids?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So today I learned that exersaucer + pooping baby = big mess.

Some diapering questions:
1) How quick is the typical boy's "diaper gone => pee" reflex? I've only had a couple dribbles and my wife's had him turn into a sprinkler just once. Not sure if we're just lucky or really fast.

2) How can we keep his hands away from his crotch while we're changing him? We didn't have this issue with his older sister.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Alterian posted:

I have no idea where you would locate these, but have you looked into devices for special needs kids?

I hadn’t thought of that, but it seems like an idea worth pursuing! I’m already trying to figure out how to buy size small Depends in bulk, because he’s going to run out of available diaper sizes well before he’s potty trained...

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

hooah posted:

2) How can we keep his hands away from his crotch while we're changing him? We didn't have this issue with his older sister.

The only thing that works for us is an instant, interesting thing to occupy his hands. We keep a bucket of sanitize-able plastic toys on a shelf above his changing table and rotate which one we hand over to keep them fresh. The toy is in his hands -before- I unfasten the dirty diaper. It doesn’t always work, but it’s good about 75% of the time.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

You could try something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9E8FVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4YGuCbBZT2E63

We usually give a toy to hold, and eventually once he can be trusted not to drop my phone we’d hand him a YouTube video to watch.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Sweet Custom Van posted:

I have a problem with a Very Large Baby.

No real advice but I fear this is where I’m headed with my 3 month old. I think he’s about 20lbs and almost in 12mo clothes and size 4 diapers. I am legitimately worried about how to physically handle such a large baby.

On the diaper front though my 3 year old has been in the same size for at least a year - he’s been growing more in height than weight, so maybe you won’t have to hit the Depends. Pampers cruisers does make a size 7 too.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So our son has developed thrush out of nowhere (not sure how, he has been on antibiotics before but this was well over a month ago), and has had croup, I suspect, what with barking coughs and a scratchy voice when he babbles or fusses.The croup has been mild, no fever and not seeming to bother him much. The thrush hasn't been bothering him much either, other than maybe making him less likely to want to eat food. Well, he had a fever yesterday at 100.5 at its highest. Two other babies in his daycare classroom had been out with the flu, which made me worried because I only decided to check his temperature on a whim while he was in his carseat ready to head to daycare, after hearing from one of his teachers that other parents had been knowingly bringing their kids in with fever and not wanting to do the same. Oh, also because he was screaming bloody murder which he doesn't do often. The fever being low-grade, I was a little less concerned about the flu than before, and I figure it's possibly teething and the screaming was from pain either because of that or the thrush. But, he can't go back to daycare until he's fever-free 24 hours without the aid of Tylenol, and the daycare doesn't care if the fever is teething-related. Ibuprofen helps a bit, I think, with pain, but he's been just screaming today more often than not, and I had to cancel two appointments for work (I'm a small business owner) when I couldn't get my mom over here soon enough. So, at this point I'm not sure what's wrong with him. He seems to have fantastic days at daycare according to his teachers, rarely fusses there, always smiling in pictures they take and just crawls around. When he's home after daycare he's more curmudgeonly than anything and doesn't want to play in his pen but wants to crawl around. Today he didn't want to be happy with gently caress all. I held him, screaming. I put him down, screaming. I try to feed him, screaming. Try to get him to nap, screaming. This is even worse on the weekends sometimes, and we can't get anything done if one of us is alone with him and he's screaming. But at daycare, a loving dream baby. I mean poo poo, is he literally just bored? If so, what the actual gently caress do we do on weekends, which are the only days we have time to get stuff done like clean up the house and get groceries?

Also, is my kid the only kid who almost reflexively tries to roll on his stomach as soon as we put him down on the changing table? Literally every time, he does this. If he's not doing it at any given moment, he's grabbing his twig and berries, which, if it's in the morning, are covered in his morning poo poo. I'm almost resigned to expecting to get poop all over the place and change his pad sheet at least once daily because if I try to stop him rolling, he gets really angry and kicks his legs, also a damper on getting a diaper on him. I thought this was every kid, until one teacher subbing in his class from a toddler class mentioned how much he moves around and tries to roll during diaper changes and acted like she's never seen this before, so now I wonder what the hell the deal is with that because it may sound like a small thing but it's wearing me the hell down. What should take 2-3 minutes (what USED to take that little time, anyway) now can take upward of ten minutes while I try to keep him from rolling off the dresser with one hand and keep poop off him and the sheet with the other, while making no progress on the wiping or fresh diaper.

This post was partially to vent because I'm losing income while watching him at home, which is great and all but we need the money, I'm worn down, have insomnia, Momma is at work and can't be home, and few options for care. Literally everything is difficult with him lately, and while I'm sure other parents have a hard time and it's normal kid stuff, I'm almost at my wit's end. He brought me, a fully-grown, 225lbs 6'1 male, to tears today after 45 minutes straight of screaming and wailing and struggling against me for no apparent reason as he wasn't happy with the usual things that solve what he usually cries about--hunger, tiredness, gas. He wasn't happy with anything. I'm super stressed out about potentially losing jobs on reschedules, while being reminded by my wife that we need the money and seemingly not getting much understanding from her, and also getting up with him every night for every wake up and then waking up with him at 6am. I wake up with him every week night because my wife wakes up at 530am to get to work early enough that she can come home at a reasonable time and spend time with him, which I know she really wants, but the irrational part of me is having a hard time not feeling like I need a loving break. My wife is a wonderful mother, but selfishly and unfairly I find it difficult not to tell myself that I feel like I'm doing most of the work in caretaking. The rational side of me knows I knew what I was getting into and all of this is resulting from decisions we made together and decisions I made myself to make it easier on my wife. I haven't seen my friends in awhile and am really needing some time with just the guys which was two months ago last I checked, because I basically have no one to talk to and vent to when I'm home alone with him and can't even get work done on my computer or stop paying attention to my son for long enough to do even the tiniest thing for myself or get the hell out of the house. If all of this sounds like whining and bitching then well, I guess it is.

Holy gently caress. I'm sorry for the wall of text. I know this isn't E/N.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

Also, is my kid the only kid who almost reflexively tries to roll on his stomach as soon as we put him down on the changing table? Literally every time, he does this. If he's not doing it at any given moment, he's grabbing his twig and berries, which, if it's in the morning, are covered in his morning poo poo. I'm almost resigned to expecting to get poop all over the place and change his pad sheet at least once daily because if I try to stop him rolling, he gets really angry and kicks his legs, also a damper on getting a diaper on him. I thought this was every kid, until one teacher subbing in his class from a toddler class mentioned how much he moves around and tries to roll during diaper changes and acted like she's never seen this before, so now I wonder what the hell the deal is with that because it may sound like a small thing but it's wearing me the hell down. What should take 2-3 minutes (what USED to take that little time, anyway) now can take upward of ten minutes while I try to keep him from rolling off the dresser with one hand and keep poop off him and the sheet with the other, while making no progress on the wiping or fresh diaper.

Can he wear pants? Moderately tight pants on ankles can make a great handle to grab when subduing kicking legs and twisting baby during diaper change. :v:

Also, go ahead and vent, it is lovely right now but it usually gets a lot better after a few months and soon this period will be a such a misty haze that you might even willingly decide to repeat the whole procedure again :shobon:

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
You’re entitled to breaks and mental health days too. Do not carry guilt for that. Everyone at some point needs a break. Anyone who says different is a drat liar. This poo poo is hard.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

Can he wear pants? Moderately tight pants on ankles can make a great handle to grab when subduing kicking legs and twisting baby during diaper change. :v:

Also, go ahead and vent, it is lovely right now but it usually gets a lot better after a few months and soon this period will be a such a misty haze that you might even willingly decide to repeat the whole procedure again :shobon:

I'm always afraid I'll hurt him if I'm too forceful, so usually use the palm of my left hand on his chest to keep him from rolling fully. He's like a spring, if I get him on his back again he starts rolling before he's fully back on the mat. I try to give him toys to occupy him and he either is apathetic toward them in favor of rolling toward God knows what, or drops them. I honestly have no idea toward what exactly he's trying to roll or what he's trying to get to, my only real theory is that he hates being on his back now since he learned to sleep on his tummy. It's like it's a natural instinct for him to be on his stomach so he can crawl, which maybe it is at this point because he's no longer a newborn. He crawls ALL over the goddamn house when we let him and hates to be sitting on our laps when he would rather be crawling. So, I guess his urge to be mobile is just that strong, because I can't figure it otherwise.

His sleepless nights are now kind of a haze but I always assumed it was because sleepless nights for him meant sleepless nights for us too. Teething isn't the most fun thing at the moment, but two of his teeth have popped through like 2 months ago and I don't remember there being much of a fuss from him. Now, it's like he's being tortured so I don't know why it didn't bother him then but is bothering him so much now.

But to answer your question, yeah he wears pants almost every day until his daycare teachers have to change his diaper and then they just don't put them back on him. He doesn't care either way, I think, but the point is, his morning shits in particular are so large that keeping pants on him would just make sure that poop gets on them and his ankles being so close together makes it hard to get the diaper on him. But, I haven't tried doing what you suggested so I won't dismiss it at all--I'm sure I can figure it out and maybe it won't be as impossible as it sounds. Also he's remarkably strong to the point I'm convinced he'd be willing to dislocate his hips just to roll over.

Sarah posted:

You’re entitled to breaks and mental health days too. Do not carry guilt for that. Everyone at some point needs a break. Anyone who says different is a drat liar. This poo poo is hard.

Thanks, and it's not as if my wife is trying to make me feel otherwise which I neglected to mention earlier. I said I was missing my friends and needing a little time feeling like a friend and regular dude, and she is always supportive of that, as am I with her going out and being with friends or doing something for herself. It's hard to feel like anything but a parent, and my wife and I have talked about this a lot during the really hard weeks--sometimes it's nice to feel like a husband, and it's nice for her to feel like a wife. We NEED that. But we also need time alone to get our heads right (we are both introverts), and just as much we need time with friends, whether it's our own individual circle of friends we each had before we met each other, or our mutual friends. It helps us stay sane.

My kid is overall a very happy baby, he laughs a lot and smiles a lot. It's a great feeling to walk into the room and see him light up with a smile when he sees me. We got really lucky with a baby who seldom cries as hard as he's been crying lately and is generally content with whatever is going on--but the boy is an extrovert, we realized to our horror recently. He can stay awake and active past his bedtime when he's around people that aren't us, and he especially loves being around other babies and socializing. When it's just us and him, he is tired more often and fusses more. He does eventually hit a wall. So a couple of introverts raising what appears to be a very extroverted baby has been not easy to navigate because he gets tired of us and makes us go insane sometimes. And when he's playing, he gets tired of playing more quickly than he does when we're at someone's house or when he's at daycare, and even at home it's like he refuses to play unless we sit there with him the whole time--so we can no longer just set him in his baby jail and go make ourselves a sandwich or use the bathroom without him losing his mind. He doesn't even like his baby einstein bouncer anymore, which used to be a sure bet to allow us to do something really quickly as he'd be occupied with that and not even paying attention to us. Now it's like, "COME OVER HERE, MAINTAIN EYE CONTACT WITH ME AT ALL TIMES, AND SPIN THE BIRD, OR I START SINGING."

All of that said, we wanted him, we purposely got pregnant because we wanted a child, and we love spending time with him. It can just get exhausting after awhile when the only stimulation you get as a parent is baby toys making sounds and/or following your baby as he crawls around the house like a wild man and grabs everything he sees.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

I honestly have no idea toward what exactly he's trying to roll or what he's trying to get to

Since giving birth 3 months ago I’ve learned that babies have the Call of the Void. They are constantly trying to find ways to kill themselves.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hi_Bears posted:

No real advice but I fear this is where I’m headed with my 3 month old. I think he’s about 20lbs and almost in 12mo clothes and size 4 diapers. I am legitimately worried about how to physically handle such a large baby.

On the diaper front though my 3 year old has been in the same size for at least a year - he’s been growing more in height than weight, so maybe you won’t have to hit the Depends. Pampers cruisers does make a size 7 too.

Pullups also go to enormous sizes (think 5T) and the Goodnights nighttime pants to go like 10 years old? You'll have options!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sweet Custom Van posted:

The only thing that works for us is an instant, interesting thing to occupy his hands. We keep a bucket of sanitize-able plastic toys on a shelf above his changing table and rotate which one we hand over to keep them fresh. The toy is in his hands -before- I unfasten the dirty diaper. It doesn’t always work, but it’s good about 75% of the time.

Unfortunately he's not yet at the stage where he can really grab and hold onto stuff yet, but I'll definitely keep this in my back pocket for when he is.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sarah posted:

Since giving birth 3 months ago I’ve learned that babies have the Call of the Void. They are constantly trying to find ways to kill themselves.

Yup. One of my good dad moments was changing my daughter in public and she rolled off the changing table and I caught her mid-air by the ankle before she hit anything. Then when changing my boy on a bed, he literally turned over, crawled across and off the bed before I could even react. Like what the hell man?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Ben Nevis posted:

I caught her mid-air by the ankle before she hit anything.

Those are some ninja-level reflexes. Nice work.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
We are battling our first cough/illness (3 month old). This is rough. :(

It’s basically just a cold. She’s still eating well. I get all the snot out before I feed her. But when I go to burp her, when’s she’s upright she starts coughing and then gags on her burp/spit/mucous and then vomits.

Should I skip burping? It’s happened 3 times now. The first time she vomited up a lot, 2nd time 3 hours later was even less than before, and this last time was just a tiny bit. I don’t want her to get dehydrated and I’m thinking spit up is the lesser evil than her losing fluids.

I’m on the fence about taking her to daycare tomorrow. She doesn’t have a fever so I don’t have to keep her home but I need a break. I’m also sick now. But the entire time she’s gone I’ll be worried about her.

Other than the vomiting after eating her mood has been great despite her cold. She’s still sleeping well, coughing in her sleep doesn’t wake her up (she slept 13 hours last night, so far tonight we are at 9 hours); I feel like this is some sort of miracle.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Does your daycare have a 24 hours after puking rule?

I wouldn't take a puking baby to daycare.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

sheri posted:

Does your daycare have a 24 hours after puking rule?

I wouldn't take a puking baby to daycare.

Their only policy is for fever.

I opted to not burp her and she’s only spitting up a little and no longer puking.

I did keep her home today because of the snow. They called me and left a voicemail at 6:30 asking if we were coming in because they are having staffing issues. With her being sick and it’s my last day off work I figured we would snuggle up in the bedroom with the humidifier and try to feel better.

Really glad I’m still off work until Monday because the roads are so bad. My sister said it took her over an hour to get to work and there were accidents everywhere. Lots of cars in ditches. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sarah posted:

Their only policy is for fever.

I opted to not burp her and she’s only spitting up a little and no longer puking.

I did keep her home today because of the snow. They called me and left a voicemail at 6:30 asking if we were coming in because they are having staffing issues. With her being sick and it’s my last day off work I figured we would snuggle up in the bedroom with the humidifier and try to feel better.

Really glad I’m still off work until Monday because the roads are so bad. My sister said it took her over an hour to get to work and there were accidents everywhere. Lots of cars in ditches. :(

This is one of those situations where I regret having a dog instead of a baby. Babies are happy to stay inside where it's warm, but my pupper is half husky and he wants to be outside 24/7 bounding through the snow and pal, no! I am freezing!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is one of those situations where I regret having a dog instead of a baby. Babies are happy to stay inside where it's warm, but my pupper is half husky and he wants to be outside 24/7 bounding through the snow and pal, no! I am freezing!

I have bad news about toddlers...

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Actually just imagine yourself having to dress the dog in two layers of clothes and keep it from getting frostbitten at all times, it's pretty much the same thing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sarah posted:

We are battling our first cough/illness (3 month old). This is rough. :(

It’s basically just a cold. She’s still eating well. I get all the snot out before I feed her. But when I go to burp her, when’s she’s upright she starts coughing and then gags on her burp/spit/mucous and then vomits.

Should I skip burping? It’s happened 3 times now. The first time she vomited up a lot, 2nd time 3 hours later was even less than before, and this last time was just a tiny bit. I don’t want her to get dehydrated and I’m thinking spit up is the lesser evil than her losing fluids.

I’m on the fence about taking her to daycare tomorrow. She doesn’t have a fever so I don’t have to keep her home but I need a break. I’m also sick now. But the entire time she’s gone I’ll be worried about her.

Other than the vomiting after eating her mood has been great despite her cold. She’s still sleeping well, coughing in her sleep doesn’t wake her up (she slept 13 hours last night, so far tonight we are at 9 hours); I feel like this is some sort of miracle.

I'd still probably burp her. For us, ours having a cold was miserable and we thought it couldn't get any worse until he got RSV which for him was like a mega-cold. Just have a towel handy and monitor her diapers, I forget what the wet diaper frequency is supposed to be but there's a certain number of wet diapers babies should have each day and anything less than that number could be cause for concern over dehydration. If she's having enough wet diapers she will probably be fine, but IANAD. Also keep using the bulb syringe and/or NoseFrida. We use both, but my wife and I both prefer the bulb syringe over the NoseFrida because it's easier to do with one hand. Our kiddo hates having his nose sucked, ever since he was just a couple months old it took two of us to get it done because he'd fight it tooth and nail--swatting the syringe away, moving his head and screaming. Also if you didn't know this, close the other nostril to get a better vacuum going.

We took our kiddo to daycare with a cold, he vomited on a couple of his teachers but their rule is vomit three times, they send the kid home. He never got sent home but it was hard because I knew he wouldn't get much to eat there. So we started taking him into the bathroom and running the shower at its hottest, running the humidifier every night, sucking his nose out before each meal, and doing all feedings with a towel over us. It didn't seem to bother him to vomit, in fact he always seems relieved right afterward. And as you said, each time vomit might be a little less, ours almost never vomited up ALL his food. As long as no fever, she will probably be good to go to daycare--any pediatrician will tell you the cold has to be ridden out and as long as she's otherwise acting normal and not like she feels terrible, all you can do is let it ride unless you just want to keep her home so she can get more rest (ours NEVER sleeps at daycare, only will nap at home) and you can suck her nose out because I'm willing to bet daycare has a policy that won't allow them to remove bodily fluids.

Speaking of, if you're not doing this already maybe try to feed your girl about half her normal amount but more frequently, almost as if she's cluster feeding again (not sure if you're breastfeeding). It may be an easier amount for her to handle because our doc explained to us that when babies have colds, all that mucus drains down into their tummies, and it can't be digested. So, it fills up their tiny tummies and leaves less room for milk/formula/food, if I correctly understood what she told us.

It's hard because while we love our kiddos and enjoy spending time with them, we don't like to see them sick and feeling bad but it's hell on wheels because they need attention and comfort 100% of the time. Our son gets cranky as hell and sleeps badly when he's sick.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Thank you for your knowledge!

I did start burping her again. But with an oversized towel on me! Lol. She’s doing better holding it down today.

I use the nosefrida. She hates it. She hates the bulb too but she’s got so much mucous the frida works well. Also it has the bonus of making my husband physically gag at the sound of snot being sucked up which is fun on my end.

I did notice she was eating less but attributed that to being stuffy and unable to breathe while feeding. Will definitely offer her more often then.

Edit: now that I think about it she did look relieved after vomiting too. And what you said makes sense. There was a lot of mucous in her vomit. I’m sure it felt good to get all that out.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 1, 2019

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sarah posted:

Thank you for your knowledge!

I did start burping her again. But with an oversized towel on me! Lol. She’s doing better holding it down today.

I use the nosefrida. She hates it. She hates the bulb too but she’s got so much mucous the frida works well. Also it has the bonus of making my husband physically gag at the sound of snot being sucked up which is fun on my end.

I did notice she was eating less but attributed that to being stuffy and unable to breathe while feeding. Will definitely offer her more often then.

Edit: now that I think about it she did look relieved after vomiting too. And what you said makes sense. There was a lot of mucous in her vomit. I’m sure it felt good to get all that out.

I only have a few more months' experience and most of what I know is from our pediatrician, who may say different things than yours! I just know it worked for our tiny human.

My wife used to hate the thought of the NoseFrida, and really any baby boogers or snot would make her almost nauseous. Now, she will literally pick some boogers for him with her fingers and goes full-on Mama by doing similar things with his ears. I call THAT gross. I noticed something, though. It was a lot more gross when it was one of our nephews, picking snot and boogers, changing poopy diapers, etc. It's a LOT less gross, and you mind it a LOT less, when it's YOUR kid with YOUR DNA. It still kind of bugs me to change my nephews' diapers, and maybe that makes me a bad person, but with my kid it's just different.

Yeah, eating less (or taking short breaks when she usually might be sucking it down) is definitely partially from not being able to breathe while eating, it works in tandem with having a bunch of drainage her stomach can't handle. If your pediatrician has a triage nurse you can call, I'd still suggest maybe calling just to make sure you're doing everything you can. We call our triage nurses A LOT and they are always very helpful, it helps us save a trip to the doc sometimes unless the doctor reads about it in his file and says she wants us to bring him in. They are very knowledgeable and will give you lots of different things to do to help treat symptoms of colds and RSV and diarrhea and all that at home so the munchkin has a little relief. When your kid gets relief from symptoms, even if for a short time, you get a little bit of relief too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Think I've changed my last diaper, at least for the next 20-30 years. Feels good, man.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

I only have a few more months' experience and most of what I know is from our pediatrician, who may say different things than yours! I just know it worked for our tiny human.

My wife used to hate the thought of the NoseFrida, and really any baby boogers or snot would make her almost nauseous. Now, she will literally pick some boogers for him with her fingers and goes full-on Mama by doing similar things with his ears. I call THAT gross. I noticed something, though. It was a lot more gross when it was one of our nephews, picking snot and boogers, changing poopy diapers, etc. It's a LOT less gross, and you mind it a LOT less, when it's YOUR kid with YOUR DNA. It still kind of bugs me to change my nephews' diapers, and maybe that makes me a bad person, but with my kid it's just different.

Yeah, eating less (or taking short breaks when she usually might be sucking it down) is definitely partially from not being able to breathe while eating, it works in tandem with having a bunch of drainage her stomach can't handle. If your pediatrician has a triage nurse you can call, I'd still suggest maybe calling just to make sure you're doing everything you can. We call our triage nurses A LOT and they are always very helpful, it helps us save a trip to the doc sometimes unless the doctor reads about it in his file and says she wants us to bring him in. They are very knowledgeable and will give you lots of different things to do to help treat symptoms of colds and RSV and diarrhea and all that at home so the munchkin has a little relief. When your kid gets relief from symptoms, even if for a short time, you get a little bit of relief too.

She got so much worse last night and this morning so I took her to a children’s urgent care. She’s got bronchiolitis. :(

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Sarah posted:

She got so much worse last night and this morning so I took her to a children’s urgent care. She’s got bronchiolitis. :(

If they didn’t give you one already, get a nebulizer. It helped SO much when my daughter had bronchiolitis at seven months.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Brochiolitis is rough, be kind to yourselves. Seconding the vaporiser suggestion, we had it on constantly and it did wonders.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I’m losing my mind from the lack of sleep in the past 24 hours. The only way she will go to sleep is if she’s tummy down on my chest. Which means that I can’t sleep. No other positioning that we’ve found helps.

She was still not eating well, we were told we can give her pedialyte. It was a little funny how she would suddenly deal with the coughing enough to scarf down some strawberry yummy! We started to run a bait and switch in her. A few seconds of the good stuff then switch to milk. Working ok so far.

The doctor we saw said the worst of it is days 3-5. Then it starts to get better. We are actually on day 5, so I’m really hoping this is the worst of it. :(

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Sarah posted:

I’m losing my mind from the lack of sleep in the past 24 hours. The only way she will go to sleep is if she’s tummy down on my chest. Which means that I can’t sleep. No other positioning that we’ve found helps.

She was still not eating well, we were told we can give her pedialyte. It was a little funny how she would suddenly deal with the coughing enough to scarf down some strawberry yummy! We started to run a bait and switch in her. A few seconds of the good stuff then switch to milk. Working ok so far.

The doctor we saw said the worst of it is days 3-5. Then it starts to get better. We are actually on day 5, so I’m really hoping this is the worst of it. :(

We would do albuterol via nebulizer first and then feed so that her lungs were nice and open and coughing was minimal. We’d also feed her in the shower. I took a lot of showers that week...

Do you have a baby carrier? It can help mimic that tummy down position.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

sullat posted:

Think I've changed my last diaper, at least for the next 20-30 years. Feels good, man.

Congrats! Seriously, I am jealous.

I am so ready...the youngest just turned 2 and I think we could do potty training if we really tried, but I think we've got a few more months left. She really wants to be out of diapers, she desperately wants to be a big kid, but she just can't communicate well enough yet.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

sullat posted:

I am jealous as well. Every diaper change is a battle with my 10-month old. She puts every bit of her strength into rolling over on the changing pad, and becomes increasingly hysterical if we don't let her roll over. Special toys sometimes work, but nothing is worse than her twisting around while I'm trying to change a diaper full of poo. Her daycare teachers are getting pretty annoyed too, and are passively hinting that they aren't changing her diapers as often because she is so terrible on the changing pad. Any advice? Other than distracting her with a toy or having another person hold her down the only option seems to be to hope she grows out of it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

laxbro posted:

I am jealous as well. Every diaper change is a battle with my 10-month old. She puts every bit of her strength into rolling over on the changing pad, and becomes increasingly hysterical if we don't let her roll over. Special toys sometimes work, but nothing is worse than her twisting around while I'm trying to change a diaper full of poo. Her daycare teachers are getting pretty annoyed too, and are passively hinting that they aren't changing her diapers as often because she is so terrible on the changing pad. Any advice? Other than distracting her with a toy or having another person hold her down the only option seems to be to hope she grows out of it soon.

Sometimes you just gotta wrestle with 'em. It's not much fun, but what can you do?