Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
So far it sounds like they are removing everything that made Titanfall cool and good and replacing it with BR and and "hero classes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Well my hype for that game died quick. Damnit.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What the gently caress is even the point of linking this to Titanfall if there's nothing in it that made Titanfall so unique and fun to play?

Christ, I hate this time line.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Pretty sure titanfall 3 is still in development guys I wouldn't be too worried if this isn't your bag. Hence the different name and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't feature the word "titanfall" anywhere near the branding. Something like this going over well can only be a good thing for Respawn and I trust them at this point.

also via kotaku:

brightside? titanfall 3 on frostbite maybe someday lol?

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 2, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Please be kind to our baby

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Hace posted:

There's no wallrunning either lol

Well there goes the other 50% of my interest. I guess I'm not interested in this at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where did any source say that there is no wall running?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I was gonna joke that without titans the game's just Fall but if there's no wallrunning you can't get anywhere to fall from

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

veni veni veni posted:

Where did any source say that there is no wall running?

one goon made a joke.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
AHHHHHHHHHHHGG NO WALL RUNNING AHHHHHHHHHH

no but seriously if there isnt wall running in im just gonna hard pass it unless its loving super de duper de good looking

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It's on Source! :golfclap:

veni veni veni posted:

No Titans? Goddamn

Edit: gently caress it, If this is real I'm not gonna judge it. Respawn is good and I guess this will get beanpoles stubborn rear end to finally play a BR game with me.

:getin:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Deakul posted:

What the gently caress is even the point of linking this to Titanfall if there's nothing in it that made Titanfall so unique and fun to play?

Because EA wants to dip their toes in a overly saturated market (BR) where everything that enters at this point is doomed for failure and will be dead in a week, but hey, there's gold in them there hills.

I'd be surprised if this game manages to stay alive.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Very interested to see if they stick with one of the things that makes TF2 feel so drat good on console - 60 fps locked.

I guess Blackops 4 did it, but it looks like an N64 map compared to TF2 maps.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Very interested to see if they stick with one of the things that makes TF2 feel so drat good on console - 60 fps locked.

I don't see why they wouldn't. Same engine, fewer big-poly robots, just more people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Because EA wants to dip their toes in a overly saturated market (BR) where everything that enters at this point is doomed for failure and will be dead in a week, but hey, there's gold in them there hills.

I'd be surprised if this game manages to stay alive.

I don't agree with that at all. or at least the second part. For all of the BR oversaturation that people talk about, we have a whopping 3 of them so far (4 if you count H1Z1 which was made irrelevant by PUBG before most people had heard the term battle Royale. And obviously I'm not gonna bother counting Chinese PUBG mobile knockoff type stuff either) and the only one that has been F2P is Fortnite. Blackout is crazy popular and Respawn is a much better dev than Treyarch imo. If they could tap into the "BR but a competent shooter" market that Blackout is currently eating up, it could be huge. especially being F2P.

Also, I think Respawn would put much more of their own spin on the genre and do something half way original, vs COD, who just completely ripped PUBG off.

Captain Beans posted:

BLOPs actually doesn't look half bad for a BR game, but yeah expect a huge dip in visual fidelity from what you are used to in TF2 in their BR game. it's the nature of the beast.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 2, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I don't agree with that at all. or at least the second part. For all of the BR oversaturation that people talk about, we have a whopping 3 of them so far (4 if you count H1Z1 which was made irrelevant by PUBG before most people had heard the term battle Royale. And obviously I'm not gonna bother counting Chinese PUBG mobile knockoff type stuff either) and the only one that has been F2P is Fortnite. Blackout is crazy popular and Respawn is a much better dev than Treyarch imo. If they could tap into the "BR but a competent shooter" market that Blackout is currently eating up, it could be huge. especially being F2P.

Yeah, on consideration it's not that wild or left field that they did this, it's really only wild that they're dropping it in 2 days. It's a brave new world out there, folks, when you don't need a year of magazine articles and booth babes to hype your game and can just drop that poo poo without warning in the middle of winter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My biggest concern is that it would get really big and they'd abandon the core series. Alternately, it's possible it could bring Titanfall to the unwashed masses and we get a bigger Titanfall 3 than we ever dreamed of. I want to believe the glass is half full.

I hope it's good and is popular. Respawn is a really great dev and they deserve better than the hand they've been dealt so far.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think Respawn knows what it's doing, and my glass is half full for sure.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gotta be honest, I think it's gonna be good.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Titanfall without the movement mechanics or Titans is just Call of Duty with some unique weapons. And nothing about Battle Royale map design sounds like it'd mesh with what Titanfall is about.

It sounds like EA just wanted a Battle Royale game and DICE had enough pull that they were able to shuffle it off onto someone else.

I seriously hope none of the main Respawn team is spending time or effort on this, and it's just a B-team that got put under their wing when they were acquired by EA.

On the other hand, Respawn needs a win sales-wise, so the ideal for me is that this sells just well enough that we get a proper Titanfall 3 (if such a thing can even happen anymore).

AdmiralViscen posted:

Battle Royals is coming to BF5 in like a month lol

Wait, is EA seriously pulling the same poo poo as when Titanfall 2/BF1 launched within weeks of one another?

Back Alley Borks fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 3, 2019

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Battle Royals is coming to BF5 in like a month lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's confusing, because EA already has a Battle Royale coming out, and for that one you'll have to buy a game for it. Seems kinda self-sabotaging, but wouldn't be the first time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean Titanfall is niche enough as-is who the gently caress under like 20 even knows it exists?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I don't think this game would have even got as far as potential superbowl ad and flying streamers out for a secret event if it wasn't something special.

Like, where is BFV's BR mode? EA seems to have a lot of faith in respawn which is a good sign at this point in the game. If respawn can deliver two hits for EA in a year imagine what this could allow them to do for Titanfall 3. Imagine Respawn with DICE money. A successful BR game and a simply decent SW property game in one year could get them close.

I am gonna be the glass half full for all of you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

is there any info at all on the Star Wars game

And is the no wall running/less mobility mechanics a running joke we’re having or was there validity

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

We have a whopping 3 that have stayed alive and remained insanely popular but there's fuckin' plenty; Fortnite, PUBG, Black Ops 4, Battlefield 5, Realm Royale, Battlerite, The Culling 2 (lol on this one), etc. There's even BR simulators on Steam and BR VR titles. The market is loving flooded with this poo poo like it was when everyone was making block-based building games and survival titles.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

all moot points imo everyone in here seems fine with BR and just pissed at the lack of TF elements in something called TF

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tokubetsu posted:

Pretty sure titanfall 3 is still in development guys I wouldn't be too worried if this isn't your bag. Hence the different name and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't feature the word "titanfall" anywhere near the branding. Something like this going over well can only be a good thing for Respawn and I trust them at this point.

also via kotaku:

There is one very small brightside in this; If this is in Source, then Titanfall 3 might still well be too. This is the kind of quick-and-dirty project you'd normally see done as a "How does Frostbyte work :pseudo:" exercise.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

all moot points imo everyone in here seems fine with BR and just pissed at the lack of TF elements in something called TF

It might not be, though. As far as I've heard, it's just Apex Legends. I guess we'll see if that's proceeded by "Titanfall presents" or some such, but Respawn has been speaking since the very beginning about taking their world into other styles of games and even into other mediums.

Yeah, this argument falls a bit flat because the Titans are the most recognizable part of the world thus far, but I'm interested to see Respawn stretch out. :shrug:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 3, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I vehemently dislike everything about Battle Royale game design, and either this release tanks and there's never another TF game as a result, or it's a runaway success and they never make a traditional TF game. Or it's neither, and it makes solid Cashola and they don't care either way. Making a F2P battle Royale is a death knell.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Exactly

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I could live without titans in a 60 player pilot fest. But if this is just BR: Grunt Edition and the closest thing we see to actual TF gameplay is a hero version of a pilot or titan imma be sad. :smith:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is this really the world we live in, where people are disappointed by a game that isn’t even announced yet, they know nothing about, and aren’t even 100% sure is real?

Also, so now no wall running is now confirmed because of an off hand comment a goon made itt. :wtf:

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 3, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It's called Apex Legends, based on Apex Predators, you dope.

No, not exactly.

In Training posted:

I vehemently dislike everything about Battle Royale game design, and either this release tanks and there's never another TF game as a result, or it's a runaway success and they never make a traditional TF game. Or it's neither, and it makes solid Cashola and they don't care either way. Making a F2P battle Royale is a death knell.

or...

Tokubetsu posted:

also via kotaku:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
If this is Titanfall Battle Royale with wall running and everything then I am so sold, every time i tried Blops 4 Blackout, I thought "This would be 100x more fun if it was actually Titanfall" but I didn't in my wildest dreams think that EA would be smart enough to make that happen. I am fine with no titans as that would definitely gently caress the balancing up badly. Bring on Monday and lets hope that for once EA actually knows what its doing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'mma be real with you all, I never played coliseum on TF2. I barely played pilots vs pilots.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I love the titan stuff as set dressing and change of pace during a match, and I love that the mix of titans and pilots creates a sense of scale that no other game has, but the pilot gameplay is more engaging to me on a moment to moment basis, and I rather like PvP. The parkour is just too good, so echoing the dude two posts above.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I could live without titans in a 60 player pilot fest. But if this is just BR: Grunt Edition and the closest thing we see to actual TF gameplay is a hero version of a pilot or titan imma be sad. :smith:

TF “grunt edition” could be cool as hell, even in a BR format. Pilots and Titians roam around as AI super bosses, while you and other shittty little grunts try to kill them.

However, I don’t think that is what we are getting. I guess we will find out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Captain Beans posted:

However, I don’t think that is what we are getting. I guess we will find out soon.

Nah, everyone should keep getting wound up over their own baseless what-ifs.