Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i still think about the music in ff14 a lot even though i haven't played in like a year

music in the last ARR dungeon loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3QPiTcXa4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah that's fair, there's a lot of dialogue and most of it isn't framed that interestingly, especially in the early poo poo. I did say it was a ff soap opera. most of what they're saying is good, though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Note to b5 watchers: you definitely dont need to finish the series. It becomes quite bad

My friend was very clear to skip season 5 as season 4 wraps up all the stuff that matters.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

It's a image of someone talking and then someone else responding to their dialogue
so it's a videogame then

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't like any modern MMORPGs because all of the "good" ones have become massively bloated and overwhelming from years of new expansions. If your MMORPG has players reaching level 100 and 3+ expansions then it's time to release a sequel or at least offer classic versions.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV is a catgirl delivery system

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

My friend was very clear to skip season 5 as season 4 wraps up all the stuff that matters.

Watch the s5 finale though. It was originally filmed as the s4 finale but when they got their surprise s5 renewal, they shot a new s4 finale instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 3, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

so it's a videogame then

There's plenty of video games that don't do this, it's why everybody loved MGS1.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

There's plenty of video games that don't do this, it's why everybody loved MGS1.
yeah but most JRPGs do, so it's really not going to be anything FF fans aren't already used to

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

In Training posted:

Part of the reason why I can still play Vagrant Story is the presentation. Love those cutscenes.

Speaking of SRS (thanks for this term) that was my main problem with Vampyr. I suppose they didn't have quite the budget for that however, given how much dialogue and permeation there is in storylines.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I loved the world and systems in ff15 for almost everything but the actual combat which just felt like a mess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

Season 5 has its moments (especially as mentioned the last episode) and is worth watching if you want more but yeah 4 wraps up every important storyline and 5 is basically just an extended epilogue.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

FFXIV is a catgirl delivery system

Shut up and take my money

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Really wish capture devices weren't so expensive. There's a couple of PS4/Switch games I was thinking of making LPs for, but you need a $200+ aud device to be able to capture anything at decent quality.

And for a casual streamer it's just a touch too expensive for my tastes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dungeon fighter online is a game with a fun story that is completely optional in the sense that you can easily ignore it and just do the single player content while ignoring any story stuff and just focus on beating up enemies with your class of choice. It's pretty cool.

City of Heroes was also a good mmorpg, RIP City of Heroes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The 7th Guest posted:

so it's a videogame then

I guess this is why so many people were blown away by GoW's single shot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess this is why so many people were blown away by GoW's single shot

I would have preferred loading screens to 'yet another obstacle where slowly squeeze through a narrow corridor that obviously hides loading behind it ' times a billion

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just finished Subnautica. I thought it was really cool overall, but jesus is it ever glitchy. The lava area also sucked rear end entirely but that's partly my fault for going down there without enough beacons and light sticks. I was disappointed with the Cyclops, too--I love everything about its style but it isn't actually useful at all, except as traveling storage. If Below Zero gets something similar I really hope it'll have a few more special tools.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 3, 2019

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How's everyone doing today? Things are warming up a little here which is nice, hopefully everyone made it through the cold snap alright and not too worse for the wear.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Going to watch the Superbowl today while painting my first ever Warhammer Age of Sigmar figures. It's suppose to snow today and tomorrow as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Just finished Subnautica. I thought it was really cool overall, but jesus is it ever glitchy. The lava area also sucked rear end entirely but that's partly my fault for going down there without enough beacons and light sticks. I was disappointed with the Cyclops, too--I love everything about its style but it isn't actually useful at all, except as traveling storage. If Below Zero gets something similar I really hope it'll have a few more special tools.

Yeah in the end I abandoned the cyclops at the bottom of the ocean once I unlocked all the portals. It just wasn't worth it, and the thermal charging didn't seem to be very effective at keeping its power manageable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Even without portals, a Pr0n Suit with the grapple arm and jump jet upgrade can get around crazy fast and its hull & power cells will last basically forever. You don't need any transport for it.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 3, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I would have preferred loading screens to 'yet another obstacle where slowly squeeze through a narrow corridor that obviously hides loading behind it ' times a billion

I end up liking these shortcuts as they offer a natural breather from the action like the elevators in Metroid Prime.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

I end up liking these shortcuts as they offer a natural breather from the action like the elevators in Metroid Prime.

Backtracking is a pain though, you have to choose between the Scylla and Charybdis of the boat or the portal

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

How's everyone doing today? Things are warming up a little here which is nice, hopefully everyone made it through the cold snap alright and not too worse for the wear.

I feel :unsmith: after finding out the dude who used to do Kingdom Hearts cosplay vlog skits over a decade ago noticed people tagging him because KH3 seemingly has a reference to said show. He gets a bit emotional.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

You can breathe during a loading screen!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm in the second map in Sunless Skies and I am now appreciating that the large inaccessible islands and corridors of space between them design of the previous map, while not perfect, is way way better than a bunch of empty space dotted with small islands

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It doesn’t quiiite feel like you’re flying through the air

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's that game with the camera someone was talking about a while back

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

michigan?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am playing Breath of the Wild for the first time. In the very first shrine there is a chest off to the side high up. I decided I wanted to get it but I couldn't find a way to orient the big metal slabs to create a ramp up to it so instead I got some blocks and used a nearby ramp to climb up to it, then used the metal slabs to reach over to it. I spent probably the last 20 minutes doing this. I get to the chest and find out it's a physics object I can push off of the ledge it was on and to add insult to injury I could have just picked it up with the magnet rune the entire time.

WHOOPS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I feel :unsmith: after finding out the dude who used to do Kingdom Hearts cosplay vlog skits over a decade ago noticed people tagging him because KH3 seemingly has a reference to said show. He gets a bit emotional.

Oh gently caress not that person

I'd forgotten about their sketches and skits

Christ almighty I want to forget again

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Pokémon Snap?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Natsuiro High School?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Help Im Alive posted:

Fatal Frame?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I am playing Breath of the Wild for the first time. In the very first shrine there is a chest off to the side high up. I decided I wanted to get it but I couldn't find a way to orient the big metal slabs to create a ramp up to it so instead I got some blocks and used a nearby ramp to climb up to it, then used the metal slabs to reach over to it. I spent probably the last 20 minutes doing this. I get to the chest and find out it's a physics object I can push off of the ledge it was on and to add insult to injury I could have just picked it up with the magnet rune the entire time.

WHOOPS

that's the intended experience!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

Natsuiro High School?
horny gamer point +1

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
BOTW is a very freeform game, if you succeed at your self-assigned goal then it was the right thing to do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really think that's BotW's biggest strength and the one key thing that I really hope carries forward into future Zelda games. The fact that the right way to do something in the game boils down to "if it works, it was the right way to do it" is a ton of fun, especially because of how many different things can work in a lot of cases.

I recall reading that this was a conscious decision during development, too. They'd often find during testing that players could shortcut or find alternate, weird solutions to puzzles or navigation, and they'd just intentionally leave them in because they wanted players to feel rewarded for finding a solution, whatever that solution ended up being. It's why you can totally cheese a couple of the motion control shrines, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Here was my morning :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/hyperdude53/status/1092105372574408705