Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:ohno:

nope

nope nop enope nope;afsneoaisefnasef NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hey, watch this

*throws an ice cube in*

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

KoRMaK posted:

Hey, watch this

*throws an ice cube in*

Well, i watched it and it went way better than I thought. Apparently ice manages to not flash over instantaneously in a deep frier.

vvvvvvvv
Still not something i wish to ever experience, mind you.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 2, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I assume it's something similar to the leidenfrost effect, where the outside of the ice cube melting and then boiling insulates the ice in the middle, so it boils off comparatively slowly.

Whereas if you throw liquid water in it mixes with the hot oil and all boils at once.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

My grandpa was a boilermaker for decades. He was also missing his ring finger past the second knuckle. I never asked the story but, based on this thread, I suspect they're connected.

"were connected"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had an ancestor who was a boilermaker.

His listed occupation was corrupted to “boilet maker” and then “toilet maker”.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Safety aside, having to clean all those greasy metal bowls every day would have to be a nightmare.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

I guess maybe what I mean is if they were doing everything by the book, noticed the manifest was wrong, discussed it and came to a clear understanding about the way that would affect braking, but decided to sort out the paperwork later, I don't necessarily think that's unsafe or unprofessional.

Corner cutting on forms where there is a clear understanding between the relevant parties about the key information doesn't have to mean there is a problem. A form being filled out incorrectly might mean something, or it might not, in my opinion.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
a wise man once told me, "it don't take much longer to do it right"

but I do see your point

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Safety aside, having to clean all those greasy metal bowls every day would have to be a nightmare.

Doing what every day?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OrthoTrot posted:

I guess maybe what I mean is if they were doing everything by the book, noticed the manifest was wrong, discussed it and came to a clear understanding about the way that would affect braking, but decided to sort out the paperwork later, I don't necessarily think that's unsafe or unprofessional.

Corner cutting on forms where there is a clear understanding between the relevant parties about the key information doesn't have to mean there is a problem. A form being filled out incorrectly might mean something, or it might not, in my opinion.
Paperwork isn't intrinsic to safe operation in the moment but can be a cornerstone to continuous improvement. All the understanding in the world won't survive a blow to the head, and even less dramatically memory is fungible by what you want to believe in a way you don't even realize you're being inaccurate after the fact. Might just be an investigator passive aggressively bringing up they might not have known about the weight if there was a derailment and the load and driver were now thoroughly mixed into the ground and the guard who signed off the weight is halfway across the continent.

Paper record is only a step above that but since investigators had to question the entire process that informs the drivers how to manage brakes on inclines because the books were off compared to reality means at least this form is important administratively in post hoc safety assessments. If nothing else if you're being asked to document the inputs that affect how you are operating equipment its because your employers want evidence that you didn't consciously gently caress up so its in your best interest to only touch 100% accurate paperwork.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

zedprime posted:

... its because your employers want evidence that you didn't consciously gently caress up so its in your best interest to only touch 100% accurate paperwork.

This is OSHA thread. Lots of employers actually want the job done extremely fast, with a paper trail they can use to avoid management responsibility and dump it on the lowest level employee involved in case anything goes wrong. If you don't play along, good luck in your future job hunt.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

zedprime posted:

Paperwork isn't intrinsic to safe operation in the moment but can be a cornerstone to continuous improvement. All the understanding in the world won't survive a blow to the head, and even less dramatically memory is fungible by what you want to believe in a way you don't even realize you're being inaccurate after the fact. Might just be an investigator passive aggressively bringing up they might not have known about the weight if there was a derailment and the load and driver were now thoroughly mixed into the ground and the guard who signed off the weight is halfway across the continent.

Paper record is only a step above that but since investigators had to question the entire process that informs the drivers how to manage brakes on inclines because the books were off compared to reality means at least this form is important administratively in post hoc safety assessments. If nothing else if you're being asked to document the inputs that affect how you are operating equipment its because your employers want evidence that you didn't consciously gently caress up so its in your best interest to only touch 100% accurate paperwork.

That's all completely true but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a causal factor. I'm concerned that stuff like this can be an easy win for an investigator, in the manner that long classic post about a derailment caricatures. They filled out the form wrong, open and shut.

It's important but did it actually cause what happened here to happen? Like, in all of our day jobs I'm sure we cut the occasional corner without being unsafe or incompetent. A completely formal examination of what happened vs what should have happened on paper might not necessarily tell you what went wrong. Therefore is it actually making anything safer?

Not trying to contradict you, just explain where I'm coming from.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I imagine those bowls never leave the fryer for long and just get topped up periodically.

Platystemon posted:

The 'boilet' or 'boiled toilet' was a Victorian invention that never really took off

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

big dyke energy posted:

I imagine those bowls never leave the fryer for long and just get topped up periodically.

The 'boilet' or 'boiled toilet' was a Victorian invention that never really took off

The Boiled Toilet Boilet is one of the seven Forbidden Sex Positions

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWv6cP5qJPo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OrthoTrot posted:

That's all completely true but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a causal factor. I'm concerned that stuff like this can be an easy win for an investigator, in the manner that long classic post about a derailment caricatures. They filled out the form wrong, open and shut.

It's important but did it actually cause what happened here to happen? Like, in all of our day jobs I'm sure we cut the occasional corner without being unsafe or incompetent. A completely formal examination of what happened vs what should have happened on paper might not necessarily tell you what went wrong. Therefore is it actually making anything safer?

Not trying to contradict you, just explain where I'm coming from.

Sure, but if I cut corners it’s a minor clerical error that has relatively few consequences and is easily fixed. If the guys calculating load weight cut corners, stuff explodes and people die.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

you have been told.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

I just love that magazine he pulls out. "We need him to be reading something that's smutty, but also science fictiony."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OrthoTrot posted:

They were obviously supposed to follow some pretty stringent procedures before operating the ersatzsignal, as those procedures are effectively the only safety systems in place.  There is no engineered fail safe here, just a human one. And in this case the human one failed spectacularly as it was engaged in playing Dungeon Hunter 5 on its mobile.

Analysis of this guy’s phone indicated that 72% of the shift up to that point had been spent on Dungeon Hunter 5.  He was not using it at the moment he set the ersatzsignal, but was doing so only a few minutes before. He refused to answer further questions about his playing time in the preceding months. The investigation concluded this would have had a substantial negative effect on his ability to concentrate. A jury agreed and convicted him of 12 counts of involuntary manslaughter. He was sentenced to 5 years in prison and was recently released after serving 2.

:ohdear:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

NoneMoreNegative posted:

you have been told.

:monocle:

Reminds me of a 3D art class I took in college. Guy across the table from me was using a Dremel with a cutting disc, and the disc exploded. I took two disc chunks to the face, one scorching my cheekbone, the other pinging off my glasses hard enough to leave a dent.

Same class, dude nearly gassed himself to death with spray adhesive. At least we had a sort of fume room for that poo poo, but if you didn't turn on the fan, all it did was isolate the fumes. Actually, I think that was the same dude with the exploding Dremel.

PROTIP, art classes are hazardous to your health.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

Hard to write with fingats.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

https://torontolife.com/city/life/my-beautiful-death/

sad osha story, woman spends 15 years making natural-material sculptures, including using mussel shells. Problem is:

quote:

In 2015, I was diagnosed with heavy-metal poisoning. Doctors found high levels of arsenic and lead in my blood, the result of chronic exposure. The water where the mussels grew was likely contaminated from industrial waste, and the mussel shells I’d been working with for decades were toxic. Metals can be absorbed through consumption, air or skin. I’d been exposed in every way.

I will never fully recover, and I continue to live with many neurological and metabolic symptoms. I have difficulty holding a thought. I’ll pick up a tool to work on a piece and forget why I chose it. I struggle with autoimmune disorders, and there are many foods I can’t eat without becoming ill.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
:smith:

Won't some of the neurological symptoms go away as she undergoes chilation therapy for some of the heavy metal poisoning?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

I think so, she doesn't sound as bad off as part of what she described her health as before finally being diagnosed. But the length and severity of the exposure might be such there are still severe permanent effects is my guess.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bumming out in the osha thread. :smith:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Bumming out in the osha thread. :smith:
As a teacher’s assistant in middle-school metal shop I had to deal with at least ten cases where someone got their hair caught in a drill. All of them died. :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SLOSifl posted:

As a teacher’s assistant in middle-school metal shop I had to deal with at least ten cases where someone got their hair caught in a drill. All of them died. :(

Did you kill these people?

I've never heard of anyone dying in a middle school metal-shop accident, and you've dealt with ten of them alone. The connecting factor between these deaths isn't the metal shop, it's you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this reminds me of some horror stories of large batches of plaster and burns, and maybe some grade school loosing a hand?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

What the gently caress kind of drills you using.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like you’d have to work hard to intentionally kill someone with a drill.

Wait gently caress it’s the drills that died gently caress you! :v:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did you kill these people?

I've never heard of anyone dying in a middle school metal-shop accident, and you've dealt with ten of them alone. The connecting factor between these deaths isn't the metal shop, it's you.
Okay smartass, if it’s that simple then why would i be up for parole in 2024?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

:monocle:

Reminds me of a 3D art class I took in college. Guy across the table from me was using a Dremel with a cutting disc, and the disc exploded. I took two disc chunks to the face, one scorching my cheekbone, the other pinging off my glasses hard enough to leave a dent.

Same class, dude nearly gassed himself to death with spray adhesive. At least we had a sort of fume room for that poo poo, but if you didn't turn on the fan, all it did was isolate the fumes. Actually, I think that was the same dude with the exploding Dremel.

When I was taking model making (think rapid prototyping) classes in college we had a group of British exchange students. They apparently they weren't taught safety at their school. We had to get them to start wearing safety glasses, gloves, respirators, and to turn the negative pressure fan on in the spray booth. I'm not sure why their school was so lax, but that's how it was.

I found one of the guys working in the spray booth with the fan off, no gloves, and no mask. He was using a touch up gun with green automotive paint. His hands and face were green. He was breathing paint. Breathing automotive paint! They would also wash their bare hands in the gun cleaner like it was nothing. The gun cleaner is like a sink but instead of water it uses MEK.

All four of the Brits were good friends of ours but, apparently, their University was super lazy about safety training so it kind of put us all on edge.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's a British thing - if you lived there, you'd want it to be over as soon as possible as well.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's the "make do and mend" attitude but they leave the last part out which is "and lose your hand"

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

spankmeister posted:

It's the "make do and mend" attitude but they leave the last part out which is "and lose your hand"

Use it up.
Wear it out.
Make it do
or do without.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

PhazonLink posted:

this reminds me of some horror stories of large batches of plaster and burns, and maybe some grade school loosing a hand?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...art-lesson.html

I went through the british educational system, and it mostly depends on the teachers whether or not you get out intact. My CDT (woodwork/metal work) teacher was always good on some things, and yet completely blase about others.

No long hair/loose clothing on the pillar drill? Check.
No unattended use of the forge? check.

using the bench grinder un supervised? yeah whatever.
using the trike bath to degrease parts? go right ahead
making your own PCBs, then soldering them? well the extractor fans are busted, but sure, crack on!

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7172075/

Wow, apparently losing fingers while attempting to make hand moulds is a regular thing.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Halfway through a 4-day observation in the neurology dept. Between not bathing, pissing in a bottle, and coming down off of Benzos it's basically become a Truckfuckling vision quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
which superpowers are you expecting to get as a result of this?