Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Random Stranger posted:

Don;'t forget Donkey Kong Country!

As much as we'd all like to...

I’d love to hear how they got the rights for that since Nintendo seemed to distance themselves before it even came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That one is even weirder since it was practically a musical and there were original songs written for like every episode

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That one is even weirder since it was practically a musical and there were original songs written for like every episode

It lasted a good 40 episodes too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Small switch please, nintendo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Detective Pikachu is part of that thinking.

Also the Mario Bros movie in 2022 by Illumination

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Mario shows had original songs most episodes too. They were so bad and annoying that they wrap around to being good.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Mario shows had original songs most episodes too. They were so bad and annoying that they wrap around to being good.

DO THE MARIO

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Real hurthling! posted:

Small switch please, nintendo

No, because then they'd put bittering agent on it.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A lot of the songs from that show have gained some viral traction but I want to share this lesser known one, I think it really encapsulates the sensibilities of the Donkey Kong Country show writers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2jPDXVwsx4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Didn't know Gilbert Gottfried did VA work

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Infinitum posted:

Uh Aladdin much?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Infinitum posted:

He was the bad guy sidekick bird in Aladdin.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yall people suck the life right outta a joke, ya know?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

It's more important to correct someone on the internet than it is to get a joke, this will never change

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair, the joke kind of doesn’t work

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

It doesn't but I still stand by that assertion

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm not fond of the whole premise of the new games. "How did an ordinary useless girl become The Tomb Raider?!" Can't she just be a badass? Why does Lara Croft need some exceptionally traumatic backstory to justify her being a badass? One of the earlier games had a training section at the Croft Manor where's this crazy obstacle course and that's all you need. How can she do all that stuff? Because she came from some crazy adventurer family that has big obstacle courses in their backyard. Great, done. Changing it to "she went through this horrifying miserable filthy experience and it forced her to not be weak and fragile" is not an improvement.

In the instruction manual for the original game, Lara's backstory was that she was a pampered rich kid who was the sole survivor of a plane crash in the Himalayas. After a couple of weeks just trying to survive, she made it safely to a village and was a totally changed person. Ditched the upper-class BS, got disowned, made her own fortune, and became famous for it.

The first game's obstacle course existed only because she had just moved in and hadn't finished unpacking yet.

Haven't touched the new games, so I don't know anything about her personality, but the original version enjoyed running around tombs and caves, blasting animals and, occasionally, people.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Bongo Bill posted:

Nintendo's recent shareholder meeting said that they consider it important to expand the exposure to their IPs in other media (this is the strategy behind all the mobile games, for instance). That's something that pays off for decades. It wouldn't surprise me if the Mario movie is just the beginning.
Like breakfast? We could get some sort of Nintendo Cereal System!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You know what the best part of Advance Wars was? Taking 5 units and shepherding them across a giant map meticulously dismantling clumps of 2-3 enemies over and over and over, then doing the same thing every 3 stages

God Wargroove is such a heartbreaker

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

i'm really enjoying wargroove and have 0 complaints

e: caesar for smash

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 3, 2019

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ignite Memories posted:

i'm really enjoying wargroove and have 0 complaints

I have no complaints so far but recognize some of the things people have pointed out could definitely be an improvement.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Anyone played Gal Metal?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Schneider Heim posted:

Anyone played Gal Metal?

I tried the JP demo long ago and was very disappointed, as a huge rhythm/music game fan. The Joy-con are not accurate enough to be metal drumsticks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nintendo release a Joycon MotionPlus™, you cowards.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

You know what the best part of Advance Wars was? Taking 5 units and shepherding them across a giant map meticulously dismantling clumps of 2-3 enemies over and over and over, then doing the same thing every 3 stages

God Wargroove is such a heartbreaker

This sounds like Fire Emblem. Isn't it a mix of the two rather than just AW?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

File me into the disappointed with Wargroove group. The maps feel...very underwhelming compared to AW. The entire ~45 minutes or so I played of it just made me want to play an Advance Wars game instead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It doesn't seem to have any touchscreen support which is... Mad? This is one of the few games on the system that would benefit from them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Switch touchscreen is basically getting no support even from Nintendo, which is a bummer, because it's nice and big and it would be cool to have some decent games where you could play entirely on the tablet. Right now the only game that feels like that is the port of Mini Metro.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

The Switch touchscreen is basically getting no support even from Nintendo, which is a bummer, because it's nice and big and it would be cool to have some decent games where you could play entirely on the tablet. Right now the only game that feels like that is the port of Mini Metro.

The problem with designing something around the touchscreen when planning out games is developers also have to assume most Switches are spending a significant portion of their life sitting in a Dock.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just played about 3 hours of impromptu Switch Minecraft with my wife (her on her laptop), and our best friends who live way too far away, via their Switch. Just like we used to, only this time, there wasn't any weird server fuckery, and no one needed Hamachi :toot:

Big loving win, especially since I was able to play from the couch.

Switch good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with designing something around the touchscreen when planning out games is developers also have to assume most Switches are spending a significant portion of their life sitting in a Dock.

And I believe one of Nintendo's guidelines is that games must be playable in both modes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed, they can't build anything from the ground up for the touchscreen.

But it's be nice if it were an option for games that would suit it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

And I believe one of Nintendo's guidelines is that games must be playable in both modes.

Voez spent the first few months not compatible with the dock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

Voez spent the first few months not compatible with the dock.

Voez started out life as a phone game, and it didn't exactly have a lot of company in the category of games not compatible with the dock.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Voez started out life as a phone game, and it didn't exactly have a lot of company in the category of games not compatible with the dock.

I'm just saying that Nintendo clearly, at least at launch, didn't have a hard rule requiring TV Mode support.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe I'm an old man shouting at clouds but I find the vast majority of AAA games dull and unfun because any attempts at writing actual stories or being gritty and serious come unstuck because ultimately they're still written by manchildren, and the gameplay itself is way back on the priorities list behind graphics, presentation and monetisation of DLC/microtransactions

Which is why I'm posting in the Nintendo thread I suppose

Video games are the worst storytelling medium. When telling a story, the author(s) must be in control of the audience's perspective, as in the narrator of a book, or the cinematographer of a movie. Video games are by design the opposite of that, the audience controls the perspective. This is an unsolvable conflict. You can see that even today, games either take control back from the player (cutscenes) or stick the player in a tiny box while what is effectively a radio drama plays out (RDR, Half Life, etc) since the author doesn't know where the player will be looking.

Video games suuuuuck at storytelling. I think these games are popular because the audience for movies and TV is much bigger than the audience for video games. That huge audience overlaps with the audience for games, so the games that are basically just badly told, B-tier movies where you control the camera sometimes outsell games that actually have good, thoughtful gameplay by a huge margin.

What's annoying is how frequently this junk wins GOTY and other rewards. They're just bad attempts at emulating movies, people. Video games as a medium should not be rewarded for doing a bad job at something other mediums do way better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now I fully agree that trapping you in a room or cutscenes are terrible, but Missle Command has existed for like 40 years now so we know how it should work.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Video games are the worst storytelling medium. When telling a story, the author(s) must be in control of the audience's perspective, as in the narrator of a book, or the cinematographer of a movie. Video games are by design the opposite of that, the audience controls the perspective. This is an unsolvable conflict. You can see that even today, games either take control back from the player (cutscenes) or stick the player in a tiny box while what is effectively a radio drama plays out (RDR, Half Life, etc) since the author doesn't know where the player will be looking.

Video games suuuuuck at storytelling. I think these games are popular because the audience for movies and TV is much bigger than the audience for video games. That huge audience overlaps with the audience for games, so the games that are basically just badly told, B-tier movies where you control the camera sometimes outsell games that actually have good, thoughtful gameplay by a huge margin.

What's annoying is how frequently this junk wins GOTY and other rewards. They're just bad attempts at emulating movies, people. Video games as a medium should not be rewarded for doing a bad job at something other mediums do way better.

Video games are fine at storytelling

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Andrast posted:

Video games are fine at storytelling

:yeah: often my favorite medium for storytelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, there are obstacles to overcome in order to tell your story via a game or interactive experience, but it's not impossible. It's just that with movies and books, the mechanics are generally always the same. What genre is that movie? Horror, comedy, drama? The way you experience it will be consistent.

Games have to do double duty with that sort of thing, and make allowances for it. Hey, what genre is that game?

Mechanical: first person shooter
Thematic: horror.