Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

deong posted:

Is there any reason to not use Credit Karma's online tax tool?
I am single, no dependents (except myself) and Rent. I contribute to 401k/HSA through my work but no other stock/IRA contributions. I do have a 1099-E with 700$ interest.

I've been reading that the Credit Karma works out well for easy situations like mine.. But I think they're related to the gawker sites and I read a lot of those. So not sure if its all super bias, or normal bias.

Otherwise, what would be a good alternative?

Thanks!

TurboTax Free File (formerly TurboTax Freedom Edition) is free if your AGI is below 34k:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

My aunt did Credit Karma Tax last year and had to submit her state return by mail for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

TurboTax Free File (formerly TurboTax Freedom Edition) is free if your AGI is below 34k:

My aunt did Credit Karma Tax last year and had to submit her state return by mail for some reason
Don't use TurboTax because Intuit are a bunch of shitlords who lobby the government to make sure filing taxes stays harder than it needs to be.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

EugeneJ posted:

gently caress TurboTax, the IRS FreeFile program is available to people making less than $66k/year.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

tumblr hype man posted:

gently caress TurboTax, the IRS FreeFile program is available to people making less than $66k/year.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

You can probably find something that will do everything you need for free through the free file list. The HSA stuff might not be free everywhere. It is free to do the HSA form through https://www.myfreetaxes.com, which is sponsored by the United Way. You will also be able to file one state return for free.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

deong posted:

Is there any reason to not use Credit Karma's online tax tool?
I am single, no dependents (except myself) and Rent. I contribute to 401k/HSA through my work but no other stock/IRA contributions. I do have a 1099-E with 700$ interest.

I've been reading that the Credit Karma works out well for easy situations like mine.. But I think they're related to the gawker sites and I read a lot of those. So not sure if its all super bias, or normal bias.

Otherwise, what would be a good alternative?

Thanks!

They didn't have any support for foreign taxes paid on an index fund when I tried them 2 year ago. I ended up doing the IRS's free file fallible forms and found it easy.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I have a time sensitive, CA specific question. I am preparing a W2 for my nanny who we paid $7900. We are covering the SS and Medicare, which brings box 1 to roughly $8500. In box 16 for state wages, do I put the $7900 in actual wages, or the $8500 for wages plus the SS and Medicare that we are covering? My guess is the $8500 since it's almost like a bonus. My wife says it's the $7900. Please help. :(

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

coronaball posted:

I have a time sensitive, CA specific question. I am preparing a W2 for my nanny who we paid $7900. We are covering the SS and Medicare, which brings box 1 to roughly $8500. In box 16 for state wages, do I put the $7900 in actual wages, or the $8500 for wages plus the SS and Medicare that we are covering? My guess is the $8500 since it's almost like a bonus. My wife says it's the $7900. Please help. :(

Youre covering both the employee and employer side of the SS/Medicare?

Yes, covering the employee's side of the SS/Medicare taxes is basically a taxable bonus and part of box 1. If it didn't work like that, basically every employer would cover both sides of payroll taxes.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Admiral101 posted:

Yes, covering the employee's side of the SS/Medicare taxes is basically a taxable bonus and part of box 1. If it didn't work like that, basically every employer would cover both sides of payroll taxes.

That's the way I was looking at it too. My question was if the state wages ought to be the same as Box 1. Although the more I think about it, the more I think it probably should be.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

coronaball posted:

That's the way I was looking at it too. My question was if the state wages ought to be the same as Box 1. Although the more I think about it, the more I think it probably should be.

you report gross, not net. 8500. You are just choosing to pay the employees side of FICA taxes.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Excellent. Thanks guys.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Admiral101 posted:

What benefit would there be to the employer if they covered both sides? Does it just reduce their taxable income?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

BonerGhost posted:

What benefit would there be to the employer if they covered both sides? Does it just reduce their taxable income?

There wouldn't be a benefit the employer.

But if the employer was able to pay both sides of SS/Medicare and exclude the equivalent in salary from the employee, why wouldn't they? The employee saves of SS/Medicare, and the employer loses (and gains) nothing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Admiral101 posted:

There wouldn't be a benefit the employer.

But if the employer was able to pay both sides of SS/Medicare and exclude the equivalent in salary from the employee, why wouldn't they? The employee saves of SS/Medicare, and the employer loses (and gains) nothing.

So in that scenario it would lower employee taxable income?

What is the rationale behind having it split between employee/employer anyway? Does this achieve something that employer paying all taxes, lower AGI, and adjusted tax rates would not?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It makes it so that every business owner in America isn't campaigning to eliminate SS and Medicare instead of simply most of them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi,

Because of the new higher standard deduction I'm taking that next year. I finished my 1040, and I also have a W-2 (duh), a 1098 for my mortgage and Schedule A. I can't seem to figure out in the instructions which of these I need to include with my return. I'm thinking only the W-2 since I'm taking the standard deduction but I'm not sure. Thanks.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone with Schwab Checking get their 1099-INT yet? Their website says it'll be available "by the end of January" but welp

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm being asked for the 1099-G using the eSmart free file, but my state only provides me part of the info needed... huh

It looks like you have to add your previous year state refund (if any) to your federal taxable income... is that new?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 1, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Also this eSmart tax is buggy as hell, it keeps telling me it doesn't recognize my username, what the hell

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

actionjackson posted:

I'm being asked for the 1099-G using the eSmart free file, but my state only provides me part of the info needed... huh

It looks like you have to add your previous year state refund (if any) to your federal taxable income... is that new?

You have to include your state refund in income IF you got a tax benefit by deducting state income tax withheld (as an itemized deduction) last year. This is not new, but if you never itemized you wouldn't have seen it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

urnisme posted:

You have to include your state refund in income IF you got a tax benefit by deducting state income tax withheld (as an itemized deduction) last year. This is not new, but if you never itemized you wouldn't have seen it.

Thanks. I did itemize my federal last year, but won't this year as the amount for being single went up to 12K.

I think I see what happened. On last years 1040 I had my previous state refund listed on line 10 as taxable refunds, etc. This increased my AGI, which in turn increased the amount I deducted. So I think counting my state refund from the 1099-G is correct. This was $420 (lol :420:), which reduced my federal refund from about 2k to 1910.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 1, 2019

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
So I went to a local tax place to file my 2015 returns back in 2016. My new job that I had just moved to a new state for had a credit which basically refunded me all my state taxes. I came home today with a bill for 2.7k + 15% interest for the last 3 years and a letter that said changed my credit to $0 from $10,000. What should I do? Am I just hosed and have to pay 4.2k now? Is there any recourse for me? I think it was mistakenly filed for the $10k credit instead of the correct $5k credit. Thanks for any help.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

madjdmyo posted:

So I went to a local tax place to file my 2015 returns back in 2016. My new job that I had just moved to a new state for had a credit which basically refunded me all my state taxes. I came home today with a bill for 2.7k + 15% interest for the last 3 years and a letter that said changed my credit to $0 from $10,000. What should I do? Am I just hosed and have to pay 4.2k now? Is there any recourse for me? I think it was mistakenly filed for the $10k credit instead of the correct $5k credit. Thanks for any help.

Is that your first letter about that error for that tax year? Typically, you can amend your return with a 1040x and make sure to explain in full what was done wrong and the correct credit you should have used instead.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Is the state going after you, or the feds? It sounds like it's a state tax issue, so you'd want to contact the state directly and figure out what they want you to do.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I used the w4 calculator on the IRS website and I知 confused.

Background- my wife and I filed MFJ for 2018, her claiming single with 1 and me claiming single with 2. We had a kid in 2018-our only one. I also paid some alimony from previous marriage (about 10k) and we got a refund for 5500.

This year, my wife worked for the first month and has now quit her job to be a stay at home mom. I make about 80k before taxes, she had made about 5k before taxes in January prior to quitting. I no longer have to pay alimony. We still obviously have our one child to claim. We will be filing MFJ in 2019. We don稚 have anything to itemize, so we値l use the standard deduction.

Anyways, I put all the required info in the calculator and it told me my anticipated income tax is 5300 and if I stick with single, 2 exemptions, then I値l have 24k withheld which results in an overpayment of 18.5k.

It told me to file married with 9 exemptions to fix this ...does that sound right?

nwin posted:

Background- my wife and I filed MFJ for 2018, her claiming single with 1 and me claiming single with 2. We had a kid in 2018-our only one. I also paid some alimony from previous marriage (about 10k) and we got a refund for 5500.

This year, my wife worked for the first month and has now quit her job to be a stay at home mom. I make about 80k before taxes, she had made about 5k before taxes in January prior to quitting. I no longer have to pay alimony. We still obviously have our one child to claim. We will be filing MFJ in 2019. We don稚 have anything to itemize, so we値l use the standard deduction.

Anyways, I put all the required info in the calculator and it told me my anticipated income tax is 5300 and if I stick with single, 2 exemptions, then I値l have 24k withheld which results in an overpayment of 18.5k.

It told me to file married with 9 exemptions to fix this ...does that sound right?

Anyone? I went and did my w4 for married with 5 exemptions and I figure I値l redo the calculator in a month.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 3, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Welp, slammed through taxes this year with Turbotax. Looks like my wife and I still took the standard deduction since we qualified for pretty much zero deductions. Is there any reason to still use turbotax? Between the $30 I paid for Turbotax, $40 for a second state, and $40 to file two states, it seems like a lot to pay.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 2, 2019

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Welp, slammed through taxes this year with Turbotax. Looks like my wife and I still took the standard deduction since we qualified for pretty much zero deductions. Is there any reason to still use turbotax? Between the $30 I paid for Turbotax, $40 for a second state, and $40 to file two states, it seems like a lot to pay.

I mean, you could spend the money to support Intuit's efforts to stop the IRS from preparing people's taxes for them. Or you could use the free file fillable forms on the IRS website, but it doesn't do state.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
For a single person wanting to efile both Federal and State with a pretty simple setup (plus some buy/sell stock taxes and dividends) is there a cheaper solution than TurboTax? I don't want to spend $100 to upgrade to their Premiere because my 4 figures in a taxable account generated a 1099-DIV of like $3.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Between the $30 I paid for Turbotax, $40 for a second state, and $40 to file two states, it seems like a lot to pay.

Well you could save $39 by printing and mailing in the state forms. Or in some states you can do online filing and just re-enter the numbers.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Fhqwhgads posted:

For a single person wanting to efile both Federal and State with a pretty simple setup (plus some buy/sell stock taxes and dividends) is there a cheaper solution than TurboTax? I don't want to spend $100 to upgrade to their Premiere because my 4 figures in a taxable account generated a 1099-DIV of like $3.
Freetaxusa.com is grest.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

moana posted:

Freetaxusa.com is grest.
They are pretty grest, yeah.

People: pass the message on - gently caress TurboTax. Long live FreeTaxUSA.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Hoodwinker posted:

gently caress TurboTax.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason no one uses paper? It involves reading and math, but shouldn't goons be into that?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Epitope posted:

Is there a reason no one uses paper? It involves reading and math, but shouldn't goons be into that?

Paper is warmer and has better tone.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Epitope posted:

It's a huge pain in the rear end to do on paper, there is no error checking to assist you, and the IRS will process your return much more slowly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The main advantage of the software is that it can ask questions that will make it clear you need to add another form. The paper version doesn稚 have anything like that, does it?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Epitope posted:

Paid preparers are required to file electronically unless the return won't go through electronically, in which case they usually give it to the client to mail out.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Hmm last year I got back 6k this year I owe 3k. Is this because of that tax reform? This is balls. Turbotax told me to do itemized last year, this year it says standard.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
What did you itemize last year?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Someone explain or link an explanation with examples on how to use the new Sec 199a when the Sch E Rental has a net loss. Can I use the Sec 199a worksheet to carryover the loss to the next year? Person is within the W2 income limit and person rents directly to renter without a third party acting as middleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Anyone? I went and did my w4 for married with 5 exemptions and I figure I値l redo the calculator in a month.