Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Exactly, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bulletstorm didn't really do it for me. They put together an amazing freeware parody of Call of Duty and then never really followed through. I mean its a fine title, but didn't find it nearly as "wacky" as people had said.

I'm about to dive in, for the first time, into Quake 1. Gonna grab one of those sourceports and get down to business. Any tips? What am I in for?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just make sure to get Quakespasm. Maybe an OGG rip of the soundtrack if you're not making one of your own so you can use it with said source port. Maybe even one of those things that re-VIS the level (like this) so you can use the alpha values for liquids and not expose a giant HOM underneath it. Otherwise, a few basic tips:
  • Shamblers take half damage from explosives, so use something like the Super Nailgun if you have it instead
  • Shamblers are also very easy to bait into a melee attack that you can semi-easily dodge, so if you're feeling saucy, kill them from up-close instead of from afar; less lightning bolts to the face this way
  • Electricity and water don't mix mix perfectly fine and you'll suffer no ill consequences whatsoever
  • In E1M4, hit both the switches by the Ogres above the slime pool bridge (you'll have to drop down from an area with five buttons on the floor laid out in a cross) to unlock the portal to Ziggurat Vertigo (it'll be in the big pool near the start of the map). It's probably the most memorable of the secret maps, so might as well check it out.
  • If you're feeling brave, head to Episode 4's area in the episode selection map, stay in the water, swim toward the side you entered from, and then descend. You'll land on a plank that, a short bit of navigation later, will lead you to Nightmare difficulty. :getin:
Also numbers shooting out of an enemy when you hurt them isn't a sign of anything, but I'm not sure how I feel about Far Cry and Assassin's Creed both turning into RPGs. I mean, not like Far Cry was amazing to start with from what I've tried of it so far, but I get the feeling that Ubisoft really wants to only make the same game under five different names these days, and it's kind of sad.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 1, 2019

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:cursed:

I hate everything about this gif

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've started to notice that games with levels seem to balance stats around what things are like at the max level. So much so that the leveling itself feels like a neutered experience. Assassin's Creed is a good example, a lot of the time I'm wondering why I'm even leveling up at all. I'm either playing the 'intended' way which is versus things even to my level, or I'm totally obliterating things beneath my level. The core game experience would only improve if the level system were removed entirely and everyone had set health values.

In The Division it was almost the opposite. You level up with some pretty standard guns and to be honest I was digging that. At max level you're wearing these crazy sets that give you all these bonuses and you have all these skills to use and it becomes more like Mass Effect. It's still fun but the beginning and the end felt like two entirely different games and to be honest I preferred the beginning.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 1, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

victrix posted:

:cursed:

I hate everything about this gif

Here, you're welcome.

The main interest is for testing mods I think.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

So in addition to having some of the worst modern design ever, UbiSoft also employs the most hackeyed obnoxious writers in the industry. Great! I'll be over here, excited for Metro Exodus.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

. So much so that the leveling itself feels like a neutered experience. Assassin's Creed is a good example, a lot of the time I'm wondering why I'm even leveling up at all. I'm either playing the 'intended' way which is versus things even to my level, or I'm totally obliterating things beneath my level.

This is the same experience that Yahtzee from ZP had, but I literally gave up on Origins the second I stealthily made my way through a level and went for one of the trademark awesome "fall down and loving stab that dude" moves and he acted like it was a pinprick.

Its the same reason why I really can't get into Borderlands either; I just don't care for gameplay where every enemy and every encounter is some weirdly complex game of dice.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If you haven't dived into the fraglands of Quake yet, make sure to type your emergency contacts into console. The game will dial them if it gets too intense, and it will.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like damage numbers and think they're really useful for figuring out enemy health and the damage you deal, so that you can get a better idea of how many shots and how much time it will take to kill an enemy. And also they are good for OG Doom because they will show you right away what a terrible idea the random weapon damage was for the game balance.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Personally, my preference is more for the Counter-Strike level of damage realism. Shoot something in the head with a Desert Eagle and it dies. Rather than the bullet-sponge approach of Borderlands.

It does make sense in Doom - because the monsters are, you know, demons. From hell. So they're allowed to be bullet sponges! And in more modern games it kinda makes sense in Destiny, as you're fighting aliens (not saying that it's not annoying, because it's incredibly annoying). But in Ubisoft games they tend to get it totally wrong. The Division is people in hoodies, they should not be able to sponge up a ton of damage and survive several headshots. A hoodie does not provide that kind of protection - otherwise we'd give hoodies to the military :shrug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I feel like there's a missed opportunity for these Ubisoft games to lean in by giving higher-level enemies ridiculous improvised body armor to visually justify bullet sponging. Of course, that'd require them to be self aware, and I'm pretty sure that's outright against the Tom Clancy IP licensing restrictions.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The heavy trooper in Spec Ops: The Line was a pretty good version of a soldier who clearly just strapped whatever he could find laying around onto himself

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Old Grasshopper posted:

Personally, my preference is more for the Counter-Strike level of damage realism. Shoot something in the head with a Desert Eagle and it dies. Rather than the bullet-sponge approach of Borderlands.

It does make sense in Doom - because the monsters are, you know, demons. From hell. So they're allowed to be bullet sponges! And in more modern games it kinda makes sense in Destiny, as you're fighting aliens (not saying that it's not annoying, because it's incredibly annoying). But in Ubisoft games they tend to get it totally wrong. The Division is people in hoodies, they should not be able to sponge up a ton of damage and survive several headshots. A hoodie does not provide that kind of protection - otherwise we'd give hoodies to the military :shrug:

Consistency in gameplay is more important than any world building. Shooting an enemy should always do the same amount of damage, especially in scenarios like Episode 4 where bad gun damage rng can screw you over and leave you with no way to kill far away enemies.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

What happened to just making games hard through normal gameplay challenges? Rather than changing the "Enemy Health" variable up 300%.

Some older FPS games, like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 - got this wrong as well, but were able to get past it by including other challenges in the gameplay. But they are also arguably closer to the RPG family than being pure shooters... but the Division is trying to straddle the same genres isn't it? :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Serious Sam is a marvel of game balance imo. There is a high emphasis on learning exactly how many shots it will take to kill each enemy with each weapon so that you know for sure in that split second that they will die and you can move onto the next target. Bullets always do 10 damage per bullet to every enemy in the whole game, by design, which allows the devs to specifically plan out how much ammo the player will use of each gun in each mob. And so on and so on. As for The Division, I like the RPG shooting but I think it doesn't really have much place in that game. You are always going to be fighting enemies that are at your level or below, with 'special' enemies being the only ones notably higher than you. Other than being used to gatekeep the skill tree it's not super useful of a system I feel. There aren't that many bullet sponge type enemies though, at least not that I ended up with in my playthrough of it. It plays like pretty much a standard shooter where 1-2 or 3 headshots will kill an enemy if you're an appropriate level for where you are.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As someone that is still playing The Division, how many of you actually play the game right now? Except for legendary missions where you get a hunter with a huge hp bar, you melt enemies in a second with proper gear. Hell, I use a tactician build that clears out groups in a single explosion. It's a loot shooter but you can legit one shot enemies (cept for elite heavy ones) in a single sniper rifle headshot, 9r even a couple depending on your build.

I see lots of people whinning about TD bullet sponges but they patched the game a long time ago about that. Of course it doesn't have realistic damage models but then the game couldn't be a RPG or loot shooter.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A) gently caress loot shooters. gently caress loot games. gently caress them all in general. They were goddamn randomized garbage before, and now developers have realized they can microtransaction that poo poo 'til the end of time.

B) thank you to Shadow Hog for the advice. I legit forgot about Quake while I was rampaging through Build games and am legit curious how Quake bridged that gap to Half Life etc.

C) Spec Ops: The Line STILL doesn't get enough love. I know we all jack off to the thematic poo poo, but I always found the shooting to actually be great for a spunkgargleweewee shooter.

D) Thank y'all for keeping this thread going. I fell into Doom when I found myself away from my consoles and a good PC while studying abroad and this thread has been a literal lifeline ever since. I really do believe that this thread (despite all the many, many goon mainstays) represents the best of gaming culture, and everyone who has posted has pointed me in so many right directions so many times over I want to take a moment and thank everyone.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Serious Sam is a marvel of game balance imo. There is a high emphasis on learning exactly how many shots it will take to kill each enemy with each weapon so that you know for sure in that split second that they will die and you can move onto the next target.

That's true you I spent a lot of times shooting the right amount of rockets at distant enemies so that several had rockets traveling towards them before the first one arrives.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

C) Spec Ops: The Line STILL doesn't get enough love. I know we all jack off to the thematic poo poo, but I always found the shooting to actually be great for a spunkgargleweewee shooter.

Spec Ops gameplay is just Gears of War but 300% jankier.

Old Grasshopper posted:

I am playing a lot of Insurgency right now, which is deeply rooted in the late 90's "tactical shooters" craze. It has its drawbacks (you can't save loadouts and the guns are wildly imbalanced, as befits a 90's shooter) but I just keep coming back to the simplicity of a Source co-op game to which you can attach all kinds of workshop mods to jazz it up a little.

The dev team just put out Insurgency: Sandstorm, which is fine, but they really spoiled the core simplicity and the game's weapon and difficulty balance is just completely gone.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Yea I played quite a bit of Insurgency. I found the co-op mode to be genuinely good fun with a couple of friends. We would either die immediately or we would make it all the way to the end. I think you reach a certain point with that game when ever pixel on screen could potentially be a "baddie" so you shoot at anything and everything :blastu:

Shame they messed it up with the second one. It looks good at a glance but I haven't got any friends playing it, so wasn't going to commit the money.

I quite enjoyed Red Orchestra as well for the "legitimate" shooting mechanics. Guns felt solid in your hands and it was good fun. The second one was also really good, you'd be running in with your friends and a mortar shell would land and take out both of them. Leaving you shell-shocked and crying to yourself in the remains of what used to be a public school (probably pretty close to what it would've felt like IRL, you know, minus the ability to respawn).

Escape from Tarkov has got some great realism as a more modern shooter that harkens back to some of the glory days, but is also a bit janky at the moment. I've had some genuinely tense fights where you have only just made it out alive and it feels good, but probably not worth investing in unless you have someone to play with. (There is a helpful thread on this forum if anyone is interested!)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Kins posted:

I feel like there's a missed opportunity for these Ubisoft games to lean in by giving higher-level enemies ridiculous improvised body armor to visually justify bullet sponging. Of course, that'd require them to be self aware, and I'm pretty sure that's outright against the Tom Clancy IP licensing restrictions.

That's what they're doing for Division 2. The armor pieces even drop off when they get hit enough.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Next up through my runthrough of Doom mods I've seen reviewed by ICARUSLIV3S/talked about in this thread/found on zdoom forums is Winter's Fury. It's neat! Kind of a mix of something more linear like Half-Life and Doom's more open arenas. I'm enjoying it all the more after REKKR, probably.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So the boxes copies of Sigil should come out some time this month, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

So the boxes copies of Sigil should come out some time this month, right?

Limited Run hasn't said otherwise, as far as I know. I checked the product page and it still says mid-February.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Weird question, but Romero doesn't seem like he's making use of the Doom 2 assets and monsters in Sigil does he?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well it's for Ultimate Doom as far as I know, so I can imagine why it wouldn't use Doom 2 assets...

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Old Grasshopper posted:

Escape from Tarkov has got some great realism as a more modern shooter that harkens back to some of the glory days, but is also a bit janky at the moment. I've had some genuinely tense fights where you have only just made it out alive and it feels good, but probably not worth investing in unless you have someone to play with. (There is a helpful thread on this forum if anyone is interested!)

I see you too are a man of culture and sophistication. I share my Tushonka and peas with you.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CJacobs posted:

Serious Sam is a marvel of game balance imo. There is a high emphasis on learning exactly how many shots it will take to kill each enemy with each weapon so that you know for sure in that split second that they will die and you can move onto the next target. Bullets always do 10 damage per bullet to every enemy in the whole game, by design, which allows the devs to specifically plan out how much ammo the player will use of each gun in each mob. And so on and so on.

Absolutely this. The only way you'll get through many parts of Serious Sam on Serious difficulty (solo) is to switch targets before an enemy is even dead. Sometimes you even start shooting before it's spawned in to save an extra second or two. You'll also have to know that while the green 4-armed guys only take three rockets to kill, they'll usually get a shot off which will eat one, so you actually need to use four rockets, not three.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

escape from tarkov is cool, its the worlds most hardcore theft simulator

if you ever want to get your stomach blown out and have to drink juice to keep yourself from dying from blood loss related dehydration as you stagger to the extraction with a huge backpack full of different soups and lovingly modelled AK-74 handles, tarkov is the game for you

spawning in as a scav is the best though, because it gives you the chance to gently caress over some brain-poisoned arma roleplayer who is geared to hell and is shouting ASCERTAIN OPSEC STATUSUATION at his teammates over discord, while you are a guy who is somehow smoking a cigarette through his balaclava, wearing a cowboy hat, with an inventory of canned herring and an AK with no stock or dust cover

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Absolutely this. The only way you'll get through many parts of Serious Sam on Serious difficulty (solo) is to switch targets before an enemy is even dead. Sometimes you even start shooting before it's spawned in to save an extra second or two. You'll also have to know that while the green 4-armed guys only take three rockets to kill, they'll usually get a shot off which will eat one, so you actually need to use four rockets, not three.

Honestly, certain fights feel a little bit like that old "Missile Command" arcade game where you try to predict the trajectory of incoming threats and fire missiles at where they will be; similarly, the best policy in Serious Sam is (occasionally) firing an appropriate volley of rockets/grenades/lasers/whatever at distant targets and moving on to the next target before the first shot even lands.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

escape from tarkov is cool, its the worlds most hardcore theft simulator

if you ever want to get your stomach blown out and have to drink juice to keep yourself from dying from blood loss related dehydration as you stagger to the extraction with a huge backpack full of different soups and lovingly modelled AK-74 handles, tarkov is the game for you

spawning in as a scav is the best though, because it gives you the chance to gently caress over some brain-poisoned arma roleplayer who is geared to hell and is shouting ASCERTAIN OPSEC STATUSUATION at his teammates over discord, while you are a guy who is somehow smoking a cigarette through his balaclava, wearing a cowboy hat, with an inventory of canned herring and an AK with no stock or dust cover

F1 F1 F1 F1 F1

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Playing through Project Warlock... this game feels like some weird alternate universe where Wolf3d was peak tech, and PW is Doom instead

First boss fight was kind of a shitshow, but the moment to moment fighting and gunplay is solid

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

victrix posted:

Playing through Project Warlock... this game feels like some weird alternate universe where Wolf3d was peak tech, and PW is Doom instead

First boss fight was kind of a shitshow, but the moment to moment fighting and gunplay is solid

If you haven't, then turn on Always Run. It's off by default and sometimes turns itself off between missions, and that boss is nearly impossible without it.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

It's as if Irem made an early 90s FPS.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I keep holding off from buying Tarkov because buying from some weird Russian website seems iffy. But it sounds like it’s so intensely my kind of poo poo and I don’t think it’s been announced for Steam...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i was suspicious at first, then extra suspicious when it took like an hour for my order to go through, but then it turned out to be legit.

apparently they just dont use steam because of the 30% steam takes

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
OK, it's been several pages since the rest of the thread was talking about Quake 1.5, but I just downloaded it and gave it a spin and :pcgaming:

Is it just me or is this way harder? I admit it's been a while since I played any Quake maps but I don't remember Ogres being nearly this hard. Someone mentioned that their aim takes the vertical plane into account now or something, but it feels like more than just that. It's like their reaction time and projectile speed have been cranked way up as well. Scrag projectiles feel really fast too. I end up playing this more like a sniping cover shooter than like I'd expect to play Quake.

Someone who knows, tell me if these are things that have actually been tweaked in 1.5 or if it's just my imagination.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s a bit harder I would say. Quake starts ramping difficulty pretty slowly for the most part, so I didn’t notice until ep2 really. On “Ogre Citadel” I died a couple times, which struck me as a bit odd. I don’t know about specific changes though, except that teleporting scrags are really annoying.

e: is there a kick in this mod? I thought I heard there was but I can’t find a binding for it

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Golden Souls 2 sure is a lot of fun. I know it's been around for 6 months or so, already, but it is great.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=47574