Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

LionArcher posted:

So there’s no problem with getting a 2015 and in a year popping in a 1 TB SSD?:master:

Yup you do have to buy a special adapter and the SSD will likely drain your battery a bit faster than Apple's original SSUBX / AHCI SSDs, but other than that it's fine. Might want to keep the original, upgrade the laptop to Mojave, then add the adapter and clone over the original image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I wish my 2015 had was 4k video acceleration support, intel added that to next gen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The sad part is that on a Windows machine, you can update Iris Pro or HD 4000 drivers and presto, there's your HEVC / h.265 hardware accelerated decompression on your older GPU.

On the Mac, nope sorry none of that for you gotta buy a 2016+ if you want HEVC hardware acceleration.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
I have the chance to get my hands on one of these for super cheap or free: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-six-core-3.33-mid-2012-westmere-specs.html

I might have to replace the RAM. I’d be using it primarily as a Plex Server/VPN endpoint running macOS Server. If I wanted to upgrade/replace the hard drives for media, is it going to be a nightmare?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

2015 rMBP's are still God's Nearly Perfect Mac Laptops.

Still has: sane USB ports, Thunderbolt 2 ports, SD card slot, MagSafe 2.

Also: can upgrade storage using off-the-shelf M.2 SSDs that run faster than Apple's SSDs.

2015 rMBP firmware has full support for NVMe drives including hibernation, sleep etc.

I love my 2015 15 and 13 inchers.

They both get a lot of use.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I love my 2015 15 and 13 inchers.

They both get a lot of use.

Same

e: sorry I thought this was the Bad Dragon megathread

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I bought a 2015 instead of a 2018 last year, and it wasn't because of $$$.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Now I’m just debating between a 13 or a 15 inch. Just a portable for a few weeks a year when I’m visiting my girlfriend (long distance till I move there) or go to LA for a week at a time. I’ve got an iMac at home for heavy lifting.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

2015 rMBP's are still God's Nearly Perfect Mac Laptops.

Still has: sane USB ports, Thunderbolt 2 ports, SD card slot, MagSafe 2.

Also: can upgrade storage using off-the-shelf M.2 SSDs that run faster than Apple's SSDs.

2015 rMBP firmware has full support for NVMe drives including hibernation, sleep etc.

Being able to grab a portable TB3 RX580 eGPU for a few hundred dollars is pretty cool, and eGPUs are bound to get cheaper/better.

Are you sure about M.2 SSDs being faster than a 2018 MacBook Pros? This says otherwise: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/13/2018-macbook-pro-fastest-laptop-ssd-ever/

If I'm being honest, I'd rather have expandability over faster speeds, but it seems that ship has sailed with Apple. I certainly plan on utilizing TB3 eGPUs in the future.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Model Camper posted:

I have the chance to get my hands on one of these for super cheap or free: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-six-core-3.33-mid-2012-westmere-specs.html

I might have to replace the RAM. I’d be using it primarily as a Plex Server/VPN endpoint running macOS Server. If I wanted to upgrade/replace the hard drives for media, is it going to be a nightmare?

Replacing the hard drives in the cMP is pretty much the easiest upgrade that Apple has ever created

Even the ram is easy to install. You slide out the entire mainboard on a tray, upgrade the ram, and then slide it back in.

It's an incredibly well built machine.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 1, 2019

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Christ I hope the new Mac Pro design is good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Was going to pick up a 2011 Air real cheap locally...ended up being a 2009 :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

Are you sure about M.2 SSDs being faster than a 2018 MacBook Pros? This says otherwise:

They're faster than the SSUBX SSDs that Apple originally shipped with the 2015 models as I said, they aren't going to be faster than the soldered in SSD chips on the 2018s with the T2 as their dedicated controller.

eames
May 9, 2009

lord funk posted:

I bought a 2015 instead of a 2018 last year, and it wasn't because of $$$.

:same:

and I passed down my old 2013 15“ to a family member. These should last nicely until the next complete redesign is out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi,

Can anyone tell me when the MBAs started having that horrible butterfly keyboard? I'm still using my MBA from 2012, but I assume at some point I will want to upgrade, and would like to avoid that feature.

I was looking at this site and it looks like only the latest ones (late 2018) do, but I wanted to double check. thanks

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/index-macbook-air.html

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 2018 models got the AIDS keyboards

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me when the MBAs started having that horrible butterfly keyboard? I'm still using my MBA from 2012, but I assume at some point I will want to upgrade, and would like to avoid that feature.

I was looking at this site and it looks like only the latest ones (late 2018) do, but I wanted to double check. thanks

MBA in 2018 has the bad keyboard. You can still buy the old style (with the bad screen but good keyboard from their site) that being said, getting a 2015 MacBook Pro 13 on swappa gives you the nicer screen, and the old keyboard for pretty low prices. That’s what I’m planning on doing in the next few months

eames
May 9, 2009

there is a solution

https://twitter.com/donnfelker/status/1072152588748054528

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frogbs posted:

Whoa, the quad core 2012 Mini's on ebay demand a serious premium! Like twice as much as the i5 version, from low $400's to $1000. Crazy for a computer that's almost 7 years old.
Yeah they’ve have a stupid high premium cause they were the only quad core models up until this last update...and the higher price of the current ones gives a nice price umbrella for those old ones still.

If you want a cheap one deal with a dual core, otherwise you might as well try to find a deal on a new one. I saw one online deal recently for like $50-100 off I think.

Model Camper posted:

Bet there’s enough demand for them to sell it off and get a nice NAS if you just want a server.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

I’m looking to swap out the wifi adapter in a mid 2012 MacBook Air for an ac card.

The BCM94360CS2 recommended?

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

actionjackson posted:

Hi,

I have a 2017 MBP with butterfly keyboard, and if I don't smoke cigarettes (because of the ash) and leave a 30$ keyboard protector on, everything seems to be fine. It's been 4 months since I got my MBP and no problems yet, not even dust under the screen

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

unidef freeman posted:

I have a 2017 MBP with butterfly keyboard, and if I don't smoke cigarettes (because of the ash) and leave a 30$ keyboard protector on, everything seems to be fine. It's been 4 months since I got my MBP and no problems yet, not even dust under the screen

you shouldn’t have to use a keyboard condom for your keyboard to not break

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Gay Retard posted:

Are you sure about M.2 SSDs being faster than a 2018 MacBook Pros? This says otherwise: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/13/2018-macbook-pro-fastest-laptop-ssd-ever/

Binary Badger posted:

They're faster than the SSUBX SSDs that Apple originally shipped with the 2015 models as I said, they aren't going to be faster than the soldered in SSD chips on the 2018s with the T2 as their dedicated controller.

There absolutely are plenty of M.2 NVMe SSDs faster than what's in the Macbook Pro 2018. Don't trust Macrumors. That benchmark is 100% useless and flawed. Apple is selling average performance at highly inflated prices.

The Samsung 970 Pro, for example, is rated at 3.5 GB/s and 2.7 GB/s (compared to Apple's 3.2 GB/s and 2.2 GB/s) and

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 3, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello friends,

Here is my current MBA:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-mid-2012-specs.html

I don't think I've ever had any major issues with it, though I think I will be looking for something a bit faster in the future. I'm wondering about what would be the best refurb options for me. I think it would be another MBA as I like the screen size and I want to avoid the butterfly keyboards.

I'm wondering about this one

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...2c9874cb02b88f2

I'm fine sticking with a 128 GB SSD. I'm wondering what would be the main advantages to this besides the memory - I currently have 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L and this has 8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3. Is that a pretty dramatic difference? Also it looks like the processors are basically the same (both i5, 1.8)?

Here are the two side by side:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-macs&highlight=0&prod1=MacBookAir019&prod2=MacBookAir033&prod3=eMac003

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 3, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's a good choice if you are comfortable with the screen.

128 GB is negligible as you can buy a $20 adapter that will let you use any off the shelf NVMe M.2 SSD for storage. The firmware in 2015+newer Airs fully supports these, although their main drawback is that they may soak up more power from your battery.

If you use any graphics or publishing software, or like to have a lot of windows open at once, you will appreciate the 8 GB of RAM, also especially if you attach an external monitor as that gobbles up system RAM with the integrated GPU.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

actionjackson posted:

'm fine sticking with a 128 GB SSD. I'm wondering what would be the main advantages to this besides the memory - I currently have 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L and this has 8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3. Is that a pretty dramatic difference? Also it looks like the processors are basically the same (both i5, 1.8)?

There's really 3 differences between the 2012 and 2013+. They didn't change a whole lot after 2013. But Intel didn't really make much faster chips so it wasn't Apple's fault.

2013 introduced Haswell so the battery life skyrocketed. So you'll see 12 hours vs 8 if you're just surfing the web or writing.

They switched over to PCI-E SSD from SATA. So you'll see much faster disk speeds.

The Intel HD Graphics have gained quite a bit since the days of the HD4000. So for casual gaming and big external monitors you'll have more performance.

The CPU itself is probably only a couple % faster. The 2012's were actually faster then the 2013's in most things. When they finally got around to Broadwell they started to get faster instead of slower again.

There's also little differences, like you can use 802.11 C wifi networks.

If you're going to upgrade to something with 8GB and a larger SSD it might be worth it but don't expect to be blown away.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful!

I do pretty much always use an external monitor, with an HDMI connection and an HDMI-thunderbolt adapter.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m in dongle hell right now. What is the least amount of adapters I’d need to have a hub that connects an external monitor, headphones, and three USB devices to both a 2011 MacBook Air (Thunderbolt?) and a 2018 MacBook Air (USB-C?)

Not at the same time, of course.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Moved

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 4, 2019

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m in dongle hell right now. What is the least amount of adapters I’d need to have a hub that connects an external monitor, headphones, and three USB devices to both a 2011 MacBook Air (Thunderbolt?) and a 2018 MacBook Air (USB-C?)

Not at the same time, of course.

You'd need the "hub" to be any thunderbolt 2/3 dock with the connectivity you require. Then you'd need one of these adapters to connect the dock to the Air whose Thunderbolt port doesn't match the dock's:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

eames
May 9, 2009

Oh this is going to be great. I'm not even worried about the Macbooks anymore, I'm worried that the whole industry will follow. :smith:

Apple Exploring New Glass Panel MacBook Keyboards That Could End Sticky Key Problems

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple won't stop until we're paying $3000 for a sheet of paper that is also a computer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Apple won't stop until we're paying $3000 for a sheet of paper that is also a computer.

Gimme gimme gimme

:homebrew:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

eames posted:

Oh this is going to be great. I'm not even worried about the Macbooks anymore, I'm worried that the whole industry will follow. :smith:

Apple Exploring New Glass Panel MacBook Keyboards That Could End Sticky Key Problems

This was always, always where they were headed. It's at least a step up from the two iPads on a hinge I'd figure they'd settle for.

Introducing a horrible keyboard as an interim was a nice acceleration maneuver. :tinfoil:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

eames posted:

Should order my Lenovo X1 now or?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Im riding the 2015 train till 2021, and then if that happens switching. Ugh.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eames posted:

The Milkman posted:

This was always, always where they were headed. It's at least a step up from the two iPads on a hinge I'd figure they'd settle for.

Introducing a horrible keyboard as an interim was a nice acceleration maneuver. :tinfoil:

Bob Morales posted:

It's a loving filed patent, that's it. Apple patents everything.

This thread is the worst I swear.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

100% this. Big companies patent everything they possibly can, even if they don't ever intend to use it. On the other hand, I can envision Johny talking about the smooth glass surface in the product video already.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FCKGW posted:

It's 100% happening if they can shave off 0.006mm on the laptops.

I wen to the apple store and tried the new keyboard again yesterday. I got AIDS again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

SARCASM