Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also its perfectly fine to mix media within a media; nobody says the act of reading, say, the letter in Casablanca makes it not a movie and inferior to a book by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would actually agree that games in general have absolute dogshit stories and storytelling but if a game is fun to play then that doesn't matter.

Nintendo games in general have amazingly fun gameplay so it's never an issue. The story in Mario Odyssey is really cute as well so that's good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bastion has some pretty good storytelling but that's because there's literally a narrator purring out the story as you play.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Video games are the worst storytelling medium.

Video games suuuuuck at storytelling.

Settle down there Roger Ebert

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The games which tend to do storytelling the best are the ones which do it organically through gameplay rather than cutscene driven ones that take themselves incredibly seriously. I'm talking Hollow Knight/The Witness/Dark Souls style experiences where the plot by itself wouldn't be particularly great but becomes so much more when linked with the player's progression, rewarding their engagement with the game.

Big budget games with expensive voice acting and extensive cut scenes to lay out their plot still end up being written by people from a very narrow background and their stories when viewed objectively are shlocky trash.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

enojy posted:

I tried the JP demo long ago and was very disappointed, as a huge rhythm/music game fan. The Joy-con are not accurate enough to be metal drumsticks.

Do not play Gal Metal with the joycons. It's intended to be played with the touchscreen, with the other two control schemes added on as an afterthought

Motion is by far the worst way to play, if you have to play docked use the face buttons but if you can play handheld please use the touchscreen. It actually becomes a fun game that way

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Some video games tell stories some people like and others don't like, and other video games tell stories some people don't like and others do like.

I dislike how Picross's storylines fill me with anxiety and existential dread but others like it and it works for them, so I'm fine with others enjoying those sorts of stories while I focus on the gameplay.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also Picross 3D 2 was carrying the "Overcome your limitations and believe you can accomplish anything" mantra long before Celeste came out, loving listen to this and try to argue against me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did Picross 3D2 remove the "gently caress up even once and redo the whole puzzle you piece of poo poo" because so many puzzles got lost due to the DS thinking when I wanted to rotate it should tap or one tap should be two in 3D1 I skipped the sequel.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Also Picross 3D 2 was carrying the "Overcome your limitations and believe you can accomplish anything" mantra long before Celeste came out, loving listen to this and try to argue against me.

That soundtrack is particularly amazing. What's a good amount of time to let go by before replaying Picross 3Ds? Also is there anything else quite like those games out there? Normal Picross is fine. Good even, but Picross 3D is just God-Tier chill smart puzzling.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This sounds like Fire Emblem. Isn't it a mix of the two rather than just AW?

The mechanics are almost a direct translation from AW and don't really support the Fire Emblem style scenario design. If they really wanted to make a hybrid style game they should have done more of their own thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Breath of the Wild has cut scenes, sure, but it does an amazing job of telling a story with the landscape as well. Of course, unlike a book or movie, you have to actually go explore and engage with it in order to piece it together, and you might miss things, so I can see an argument for it being "worse" at delivering that story. The feelings it can produce when you DO experience some things, like the guardians at the wall, is pretty great though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I don’t think any of the Zeldas are exactly the games for stories.

They are mostly just window dressing because a game has to have a story.

Even though I know some people really care about Zelda lore

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Schneider Heim posted:

Anyone played Gal Metal?

The art, the story, the characters, the presentation, all great. The actual gameplay is pretty lackluster. You can pass every level with completely directionless flailing. Or if you want you could drum really good and get more points, but the game does nothing to teach you how to drum good or really even what good drumming would look like.

My biggest Switch disappointment so far, honestly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Breath of the Wild has cut scenes, sure, but it does an amazing job of telling a story with the landscape as well. Of course, unlike a book or movie, you have to actually go explore and engage with it in order to piece it together, and you might miss things, so I can see an argument for it being "worse" at delivering that story. The feelings it can produce when you DO experience some things, like the guardians at the wall, is pretty great though.
my favorite piece of environmental storytelling in BotW might be when you first get to the huge battlefield in front of Fort Hateno with piles of dead guardians everywhere and you wonder what on earth happened there, and you can learn from an npc that a brave hero singlehandedly held off all those guardians but lost his life in the process... a hundred years ago

got a legitimate "oh poo poo" from me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ColdPie posted:

Video games are the worst storytelling medium. When telling a story, the author(s) must be in control of the audience's perspective, as in the narrator of a book, or the cinematographer of a movie. Video games are by design the opposite of that, the audience controls the perspective. This is an unsolvable conflict. You can see that even today, games either take control back from the player (cutscenes) or stick the player in a tiny box while what is effectively a radio drama plays out (RDR, Half Life, etc) since the author doesn't know where the player will be looking.

Video games suuuuuck at storytelling. I think these games are popular because the audience for movies and TV is much bigger than the audience for video games. That huge audience overlaps with the audience for games, so the games that are basically just badly told, B-tier movies where you control the camera sometimes outsell games that actually have good, thoughtful gameplay by a huge margin.

What's annoying is how frequently this junk wins GOTY and other rewards. They're just bad attempts at emulating movies, people. Video games as a medium should not be rewarded for doing a bad job at something other mediums do way better.

Video games can be fantastic at storytelling, but I think it requires the makers to use a completely different set of tools. Discovery, experienced emotion, and ambiance. Shadow of the Colossus is a fantastic example of video game storytelling. Even games that do more traditional narratives can excel at it when they use the fact that the player is the one doing the thing. Like how MGS3 Makes you rely on and then protect Eva to forge an emotional bond between Eva and the player before her betrayal, or the ending of that one Halo game where death is inevitable.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Video games can be fantastic at storytelling, but I think it requires the makers to use a completely different set of tools. Discovery, experienced emotion, and ambiance. Shadow of the Colossus is a fantastic example of video game storytelling. Even games that do more traditional narratives can excel at it when they use the fact that the player is the one doing the thing. Like how MGS3 Makes you rely on and then protect Eva to forge an emotional bond between Eva and the player before her betrayal, or the ending of that one Halo game where death is inevitable.

Games also have a lot of extra time for characterization/weird bullshit. Like the billion support conversations in Fire emblem that are usually about nothing important or MGS codecs. It helps people get invested in the characters even when those characters aren't really focused on the narrative.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Any method can work, from straight-up using text/movies to do the story-telling for you to using gameplay to tell the story completely. It's all about the execution, and even that's going to be subjective as hell.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Your Computer posted:

my favorite piece of environmental storytelling in BotW might be when you first get to the huge battlefield in front of Fort Hateno with piles of dead guardians everywhere and you wonder what on earth happened there, and you can learn from an npc that a brave hero singlehandedly held off all those guardians but lost his life in the process... a hundred years ago

got a legitimate "oh poo poo" from me

:same:

Like exactly the same.

Then you get the quest for the 13th memory, and say “Oh, I know where that is.”

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I think video games can tell very distinct stories, and deliver those stories in novel and unique ways, but video game stories shouldn't be measured with the same expectations or mindset as older, more traditional story telling mediums.Night in the Woods is an example of a game whose story I feel is told best as a game. Even beyond the more obvious "story" aspect of the game- the dialogue, NitW uses it adventure game structure to very skillfully put you into the shoes of the character and her life. The aimless wandering, the fun vandalism sections, the fact that you probably aren't very good at rhythm games, the whole subdued nature of the thing really puts a cohesion towards the two normally disparate parts of a game, story and gameplay.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The best game to tell a story is Animal Crossing where it tells the story of how I get to live with all my animal friends and have a chill time so where the gently caress is my news on the new Animal Crossing, Nintendo?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

:same:

Like exactly the same.

Then you get the quest for the 13th memory, and say “Oh, I know where that is.”
Always had trouble finding exactly where that is. It's really hard to track it down if you aren't pretty much on top of it.

I feel like BotW's very laid back environmental storytelling kind of suffers from it's the games openness and willingness for you to play your own way. It's very easy to take a path that takes you through almost none of the ruins and environmental impact, and never talk to any NPC. If you play BotW like a game and just tackle the obstacles in the way of your overall goal, the game has very little actual plot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Crawfish posted:

Always had trouble finding exactly where that is. It's really hard to track it down if you aren't pretty much on top of it.

I feel like BotW's very laid back environmental storytelling kind of suffers from it's the games openness and willingness for you to play your own way. It's very easy to take a path that takes you through almost none of the ruins and environmental impact, and never talk to any NPC. If you play BotW like a game and just tackle the obstacles in the way of your overall goal, the game has very little actual plot.

It still has a lot of environmental storytelling just purely through the map. Every village is hard to find and/or hard to get to. That alone tells you how those villages have survived.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The worst part of BotW's story will always be for me how many goshdarn NPCs in the game are 100 years old so it very often doesn't feel like a hundred years have passed since you lost. It's the most frustating part narratively for me, because basically every single time you talk to a story NPC the core conceit is undermined and since they're all the story NPCs it also alienates you from what it would be like to live and die under Gannon's eye which is something actually novel to explore.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It still has a lot of environmental storytelling just purely through the map. Every village is hard to find and/or hard to get to. That alone tells you how those villages have survived.
If you're paying attention to that sort of thing, and not thinking "that village is there because the map pointer points me in that direction".

I'm not saying you're wrong, but alot of that stuff is going to go over the head of people playing it just as a game.

Honestly kind of bummed that I played my first playthrough very goal oriented. I got all of the sense of exploration experience in that playthrough, and that's a cool gaming experience i'll always remember fondly, but I missed alot of this environmental stuff the first time because it was all about getting straight to the next thing I needed to do immediately.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 3, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Always felt it really shouldn't be hard to make a sequel to Metroid Fusion; flip the script and have Samus up against the Federation (use robots if you really don't like the idea of Samus killing other humans) as an outlaw trying to expose its dirty secrets to clear her name while dealing with horrible superweapons, death squads and who knows what else, possibly starting to exhibit strange and terrifying Metroid abilities unlocked by absorbing certain energies from boss battles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You'd think so, since I think that was what everyone assumed the game after Fusion would be, but instead we got a point and click adventure game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Picross 3D 2 wouldn't tell me what the time thresholds were for getting top score on a puzzle and that was just too much to handle!!!

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I beat Labyrinth of Refrain last night. I ended up meeting 5 out of 6 requirements to access the post-game, but honestly the regular ending gave me enough of a sense of closure to say gently caress it and move on to something else. I just got Tangledeep and Wargroove, so it's not like I'm gonna be running out of things to do any time soon!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That one is even weirder since it was practically a musical and there were original songs written for like every episode

Cheap kids shows tend to have a lot of music because then they can license the songs separately from the show itself so broadcast would have to pay them twice

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
For anyone else bouncing off Wargroove: the campaign seems to get decent starting in Act 4. Still takes annoyingly long to get there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crawfish posted:

If you're paying attention to that sort of thing, and not thinking "that village is there because the map pointer points me in that direction".

I'm not saying you're wrong, but alot of that stuff is going to go over the head of people playing it just as a game.

You could say that about any game though. If you refuse to engage with it and just move from objective to objective then you probably won't get much from the story. If you just run through Dark Souls you won't get anything from that either, does that mean its storytelling is bad? What about a game like Night in the Woods, where tons of the best writing is completely optional? Someone could just go from objective to objective and not get much out of the game but is that the game's fault?

Heck, you could apply this to movies as well. I'm sure everyone has experienced the frustration of showing someone your favorite movie only to have them sit on their phone or otherwise not pay any attention and then when the movie's done be like "eh, it was okay I guess" - it doesn't matter how good a story is if the listener/reader/player doesn't engage with it.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Just finished The Gardens Between and it’s a really lovely, chill, melancholy puzzler. The art and sound design is really beautiful- kind of like a Monument Valley mixed with Lara Croft GO. The time shifting puzzle mechanic is cool and levels aren’t insanely hard, just really neat and pretty as you slide the timeline around.

It’s a short game (maybe 3-4 hours), but I thought that the story and atmosphere made it worth the $20.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Animal Crossing speedrun

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where are the labo assemble/play speedruns?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Also Parappa the Rapper was carrying the "Overcome your limitations and believe you can accomplish anything" mantra long before Celeste came out, loving listen to this and try to argue against me.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

How is Mutant League Football if I don't know anything about Football?

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 3, 2019

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kikkoman posted:

I beat Labyrinth of Refrain last night. I ended up meeting 5 out of 6 requirements to access the post-game, but honestly the regular ending gave me enough of a sense of closure to say gently caress it and move on to something else. I just got Tangledeep and Wargroove, so it's not like I'm gonna be running out of things to do any time soon!

That ending was the emotional high point anyway, and they hit it pretty well. That song definitely helped.

Worth looking up summaries of the post-postgame stuff elsewhere if you like plots that go Full Anime, though.

Turns out the main game only went about 80% Anime.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Fallom posted:

Picross 3D 2 wouldn't tell me what the time thresholds were for getting top score on a puzzle and that was just too much to handle!!!

They're pretty generous whatever they are, I rarely if ever got penalized for time and I played on hard. The game on a whole is way more forgiving than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Microsoft is planning to expand their Xbox Live service to other platforms - including the Switch. This is Microsoft jumping on the cross-play wagon and pushing their solution to potential corporate customers.

Just where will this lead to, dunno. But it probably does mean more tweaking and linking of accounts.