Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm looking at making this Chole Chaat recipe, which calls for "English Spinach" - will regular spinach work? I've never seen "English Spinach" in any of my local grocery stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm looking at making this Chole Chaat recipe, which calls for "English Spinach" - will regular spinach work? I've never seen "English Spinach" in any of my local grocery stores.

I am literally English (but have lived in the US) and have never heard of that. Possibly they in fact mean regular spinach as opposed to some Indian thing that's similar?

Edit:Google suggests this is Australians being crazy. English Spinach is spinach, non English Spinach is what normal people call Swiss chard I guess?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 2, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

English Spinach is the same as regular spinach, but extra irony

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

English Spinach is the same as regular spinach, but extra irony

:vince:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

There's also various species of Amaranth that get called "chinese spinach" sometimes; Amaranth is relatively popular in India I believe.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eeyo posted:

There's also various species of Amaranth that get called "chinese spinach" sometimes; Amaranth is relatively popular in India I believe.
And Malabar spinach, which isn't even remotely spinach-like but still gets called that.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

PDP-1 posted:

Something in the appetizer/side dish/desert range, they're doing a BBQ for the main event.

The easiest desert I've personally found that's generally well received and is both gluten and dairy free is meringue cookies, which IMO are best when flavored with a mix of lemon juice and lemon oil.
Assuming your coworker is just lactose intolerant and doesn't have an actual dairy allergy, butter is very low in lactose and should be fine which opens up some GF recipes for tarts and pies.

I don't know if it's already covered under the main event, but mashed sweet potatoes are a really nice side for BBQ that reheats readily and can retain its heat well if you insulate it.

Deviled eggs are pretty classic and have neither gluten nor dairy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

feedmegin posted:

I am literally English (but have lived in the US) and have never heard of that. Possibly they in fact mean regular spinach as opposed to some Indian thing that's similar?

Edit:Google suggests this is Australians being crazy. English Spinach is spinach, non English Spinach is what normal people call Swiss chard I guess?
Yeah I didnt find much on a Google Search so I came here haha
Thank you.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m making cheesecake but I forgot to bake the crust before pouring in the filling.

The crust is a mix of gingersnap cookie crumbs, butter, and brown sugar.

How hosed am I? :ohdear:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m making cheesecake but I forgot to bake the crust before pouring in the filling.

The crust is a mix of gingersnap cookie crumbs, butter, and brown sugar.

How hosed am I? :ohdear:

:rip:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Aye, not much you can do at this point, either your crust will be underdone, or your cake will overdone. Sorry.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I mean how bad is it gonna be?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I've been making my pot roasts by putting the meat in beef broth and herbs in a dutch oven and cooking at 300 for a few hours, but it seems like the broth loses some of its flavor during the process. It still tastes good, but it doesn't taste really nice and beefy like the fresh broth, nor do the herbs have all their flavor. And it makes sense because the house smells good while it's cooking but all of that smell is something that's released then and not left over when we eat it.

So I was thinking, should I replace the beef broth with water during cooking, then after it's done add some bouillon to make it into fresh broth?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

How’s the salt level? Maybe the broth needs to be reduced and the end

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

How’s the salt level? Maybe the broth needs to be reduced and the end

At the end? The salt level's okay, maybe slightly low. And it does reduce during the cooking process by about 30%. Oh yeah and I do put some red wine in too if that matters.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm not a master chef or anything but i always save herbs until the end in my crock pot stuff because i read that they could become bitter over long cook times.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Think of vegetables/herbs that braise for a long time as seasoning, not as edible. They give up all their flavor to the pot and lose their individual personality and turn into mush-you probably don't eat the stuff leftover after making stock.. Lots of old Julia Child et al. recipes say take the vegetables/meat out, reduce the braising liquid until it coats a spoon, correct seasoning, and then return the meat to the pot and add vegetables cooked separately as a garnish. Alternatively, add the vegetables you actually want to eat at the end and cook them for 20 minutes or whatever they need and they'll taste like carrots cooked in beef juice and be delicious and not taste like brown carrot mush.

Reducing the broth enough makes a huge difference and a splash of fresh wine a few minutes before it's done cooking will help brighten it up too, and add delicate herbs like chopped parsley or chives off the heat at the end.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

I've been making my pot roasts by putting the meat in beef broth and herbs in a dutch oven and cooking at 300 for a few hours, but it seems like the broth loses some of its flavor during the process. It still tastes good, but it doesn't taste really nice and beefy like the fresh broth, nor do the herbs have all their flavor. And it makes sense because the house smells good while it's cooking but all of that smell is something that's released then and not left over when we eat it.

So I was thinking, should I replace the beef broth with water during cooking, then after it's done add some bouillon to make it into fresh broth?

Random thoughts:

Are you starting with homemade broth or using the boxed stuff? Cuz if you're starting off with a carton of beef broth, you're not losing flavor, it wasn't there in the first place.

Start looking into other sources of umami. Vegemite, miso paste, soy sauce, fish sauce, worchestershire sauce, mushrooms, kombu, tomato paste, anchovies, etc etc. Just salt or just some more broth/bouillon is okay, but you want to build layers of flavor. Using multiple sources of umami makes a dish a lot more complex and meaty.

Most people are missing acid, especially with braises. A bit of lemon or vinegar goes a long way.

You should be doing your herbs in two steps. One for the braise and then one right before serving to keep its freshness. Veg too. The veg and herbs gave their all during the braise.

If you're not reducing/making a gravy out of the braising liquid, that also helps. Having a good mouth feel really makes the flavors you did create linger longer than something thin.

Are you searing your meat hard?

Jewel Repetition posted:

At the end? The salt level's okay, maybe slightly low. And it does reduce during the cooking process by about 30%. Oh yeah and I do put some red wine in too if that matters.

Unless you're straining and making a gravy, 30% is nowhere near enough. You wanna reduce more than half to get any meaningful flavor out of a reduction.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 3, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'd be a little suspicious of a chaat recipe without chaat masala - you might prefer something like this. On the other hand, it'll probably taste fine, albeit not much like chole chaat.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

I mean how bad is it gonna be?

It'll be okay. Baking it should get it hot enough to melt the brown sugar so it's not gritty. I'd bet the crust'll be pretty soft.gummy, and not stick together. Should taste fine though.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

poeticoddity posted:

The easiest desert I've personally found that's generally well received and is both gluten and dairy free is meringue cookies, which IMO are best when flavored with a mix of lemon juice and lemon oil.
Assuming your coworker is just lactose intolerant and doesn't have an actual dairy allergy, butter is very low in lactose and should be fine which opens up some GF recipes for tarts and pies.

I don't know if it's already covered under the main event, but mashed sweet potatoes are a really nice side for BBQ that reheats readily and can retain its heat well if you insulate it.

Deviled eggs are pretty classic and have neither gluten nor dairy.

A bunch of good suggestions, but meringue cookies is something I've never made and would fit the bill. Gonna look up some recipes for those - thanks for the idea!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

PDP-1 posted:

A bunch of good suggestions, but meringue cookies is something I've never made and would fit the bill. Gonna look up some recipes for those - thanks for the idea!

Be aware that a lot of recipes call for a temperature based off of an assumed minimum oven temperature, and that larger meringue cookies will end up with a hard exterior and a softer interior if cooked hot and fast.

I've personally gotten the best results in a dehydrator, but you can make oven-baked meringue cookies crispier (which I assume is generally desirable) by either making them smaller or making them in longer, flatter shapes than the traditional dollop.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Help me Goons I bought some riced cauliflower and I’m not sure what to do with it.

I typically take cauliflower heads and paint on some mixture of sesame oil, rooster sauce, and salty like soy then roast.

Should I treat this more like cauliflower or rice?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've seen like eighteen different variations of Amaretto Sours on the internet - whats the threads consensus on a good recipe? Also how much simple syrup would I want to make if I was going to make a few drinks for four people? I dont want to make an excessive amount because we dont do hard liquor often and all our guests are lightweights.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'd be a little suspicious of a chaat recipe without chaat masala - you might prefer something like this. On the other hand, it'll probably taste fine, albeit not much like chole chaat.
I made it and it is only okay and nothing like the dish I had at an Indian restaurant.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
For an amaretto sour I'd do something like:

3/4oz amaretto
3/4oz bourbon
3/4oz lemon juice
1/2oz simple

to start with and then adjust to taste from there -- maybe bump up the lemon, maybe add more/less simple depending on how rich you made it and how sweet your amaretto is. I strongly recommend doing the half amaretto half bourbon thing; all amaretto is gonna be way too sweet. Serve it up, serve it over ice and lengthen with soda, add an egg white, add bitters, do whatever you want.

Just make as much simple as will fill the handiest container you have for it. It'll keep essentially forever (unless it picks up a weird smell from your fridge) and you can make more very quickly.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm assuming you're cooking with the lid on, at simmering temperatures?

I've noticed this too, but I'm convinced at least part of it is that your get accustomed to the smell and taste when you're cooking, so when you sit down to eat it can be slightly underwhelming. I get this a lot with curries. I taste for salt/texture/doneness a lot, and the spice level gets difficult to judge after a while. Sometimes a night in the fridge can make things taste better too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Think of vegetables/herbs that braise for a long time as seasoning, not as edible. They give up all their flavor to the pot and lose their individual personality and turn into mush-you probably don't eat the stuff leftover after making stock.. Lots of old Julia Child et al. recipes say take the vegetables/meat out, reduce the braising liquid until it coats a spoon, correct seasoning, and then return the meat to the pot and add vegetables cooked separately as a garnish. Alternatively, add the vegetables you actually want to eat at the end and cook them for 20 minutes or whatever they need and they'll taste like carrots cooked in beef juice and be delicious and not taste like brown carrot mush.

Reducing the broth enough makes a huge difference and a splash of fresh wine a few minutes before it's done cooking will help brighten it up too, and add delicate herbs like chopped parsley or chives off the heat at the end.

Thanks, I'll try adding the vegetables later. Some of them do get a little overcooked.

Casu Marzu posted:

Random thoughts:

Are you starting with homemade broth or using the boxed stuff? Cuz if you're starting off with a carton of beef broth, you're not losing flavor, it wasn't there in the first place.

Start looking into other sources of umami. Vegemite, miso paste, soy sauce, fish sauce, worchestershire sauce, mushrooms, kombu, tomato paste, anchovies, etc etc. Just salt or just some more broth/bouillon is okay, but you want to build layers of flavor. Using multiple sources of umami makes a dish a lot more complex and meaty.

Most people are missing acid, especially with braises. A bit of lemon or vinegar goes a long way.

You should be doing your herbs in two steps. One for the braise and then one right before serving to keep its freshness. Veg too. The veg and herbs gave their all during the braise.

If you're not reducing/making a gravy out of the braising liquid, that also helps. Having a good mouth feel really makes the flavors you did create linger longer than something thin.

Are you searing your meat hard?

Unless you're straining and making a gravy, 30% is nowhere near enough. You wanna reduce more than half to get any meaningful flavor out of a reduction.

I do make the broth into a gravy at the end and I guess some more reduction does take place there, which I forgot about. And I make the broth out of bouillon so it has a very rich beefy taste and smell before I start cooking and that's what I feel like is lost.

Oh and yes I sear my meat fairly hard before I put it in the pot, and the time and temp browns it even more.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

poop dood posted:

I strongly recommend doing the half amaretto half bourbon thing; all amaretto is gonna be way too sweet.

Seconding this (even if you cut down on the syrup amaretto is still going to be sweet), unless you go really heavy on the lemon or do something like adding ginger (either grate it and strain for the juice or just muddle some slices) which are both excellent ways to go especially with an egg white.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I always do 1:2 lemon to amaretto, which goes over well with everyone including my wife who usually wants to double the citrus in everything :shrug:

I'll want to try the whiskey version though, experimenting is fun.

Also check out the cocktail thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778

Also re: amt of syrup to make, just do a cup of sugar in a cup of water. Having extra is great, it lasts weeks!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Oh, yea, like others said, simple syrup keeps for ages. And remember you can also use it for other things than cocktails. Make some lemonade or sweet tea or whatever if you have a lot left over and don't drink so often.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you for all of the replies re: Amaretto Sours and Simple Syrup! I dont have any bourbon on hand and wont have a chance to get any for today but I will keep that in mind for the future.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I have a bunch of juice/stock left over from making Moroccan chicken*. The chicken was delicious, but I have no clue what to do with the leftover stock, since it has a very strong citrus taste. I tried using it in a mushroom scallop risotto last time, and the sheer lemon taste kinda overpowered the scallops. Suggestions?

*I have no idea how Moroccan this actually is, especially considering I don't have a tagine. It's chicken marinated in olive oil, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, ginger and cumin, then baked in a closed pot with quartered lemon and olives. The quartered lemon makes the leftover juice very tart.

Edit: About simple syrup and lemons, sometimes I like to squeeze a bunch of lemons or limes in when I'm making it, since just about every drink I'll be using simple for also needs citrus. Just be careful not to overdo the citrus. I did that once, not realizing my tastebuds were acclimatizing to ever larger amounts. Left everybody at the party quite drunk and also feeling like their teeth were made of chalk.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 3, 2019

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm frying some wings for Stupor Bowl. Since I've got a pot of oil going, I'm thinking I might do some fresh cut onion rings. Anyone have a recipe that they like?

EDIT: wow, no Super Bowl thread this year. :smith:

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 3, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm frying some wings for Stupor Bowl. Since I've got a pot of oil going, I'm thinking I might do some fresh cut onion rings. Anyone have a recipe that they like?

EDIT: wow, no Super Bowl thread this year. :smith:
The Serious Eats onion rings recipe is wonderful.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I have a bunch of juice/stock left over from making Moroccan chicken*. The chicken was delicious, but I have no clue what to do with the leftover stock, since it has a very strong citrus taste. I tried using it in a mushroom scallop risotto last time, and the sheer lemon taste kinda overpowered the scallops. Suggestions?

*I have no idea how Moroccan this actually is, especially considering I don't have a tagine. It's chicken marinated in olive oil, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, ginger and cumin, then baked in a closed pot with quartered lemon and olives. The quartered lemon makes the leftover juice very tart.

Make rice pilaf with it. Pair it with some grilled/sautéed chicken seasoned with ras al hanout, or your favorite Indian curry powder.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I like to make meatloaf but I often find it comes out soggy on the bottom (I usually make it freeform on a baking sheet). Recently, I had the idea to do it on a rack over the baking sheet so it would be raised up out of the juices. I'm trying it today and I'm finding it's taking quite a while for my meat thermometer to show it as being cooked through. Is this normal? My thinking is that it's not in contact with a direct source of heat (the hot pan) anymore so it's taking longer to come to temperature, but I don't mess with a recipe like this a lot.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Hed posted:

Help me Goons I bought some riced cauliflower and I’m not sure what to do with it.

I typically take cauliflower heads and paint on some mixture of sesame oil, rooster sauce, and salty like soy then roast.

Should I treat this more like cauliflower or rice?

This is not very creative, but I'd saute a garlic clove, add the riced cauliflower, brown it a bit, cover it to steam / cook through / braise (maybe add a tablespoon or two of water) for 5 or 10 minutes, uncover, add your favorite seasoning (I would use smoked paprika), and cook until most of the juices are gone. I do this with riced broccoli or shredded brussels sprouts, and it always turns out tender and caramelized and flavorful. Don't forget the salt!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thanks! A little more involved then I was planning on, but I've had success with beer-battered fish before.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Squashy Nipples posted:

Thanks! A little more involved then I was planning on, but I've had success with beer-battered fish before.

I'm not sure I'd fool around with all the freezing/peeling stuff, but do use big onions with thick layers. I usually do a beer batter with a light brown beer like Newcastle or Amberbock. You can add some soda water or a an egg white beaten to light peaks for extra light/fluffy/cripsy batter too. The cornstarch helps keep it light as well. Garlic/onion powder are good in fried batters like that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

P sure most of the Cajun/Creole thread is boycotting the Superbowl