Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How would Venom have been any different if it were R instead of PG-13. Don't make a movie R just to make it R, that's what Snakes on a Plane did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How would Venom have been any different if it were R instead of PG-13. Don't make a movie R just to make it R, that's what Snakes on a Plane did

Agreed,the movie lost nothing by shying away from blood.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Venom would have been like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better with a R rating. It's like making a Punisher movie PG 13. Having Venom tearing does heads off and eating them while fountains of blood pour out all over the place would have been amazing. When Riot does his stupid scythe that doesn't actually hurt anyone it'd instead have been a good and cool scene.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fountains of blood sound stupid

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Hollismason posted:

Venom would have been like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better with a R rating. It's like making a Punisher movie PG 13. Having Venom tearing does heads off and eating them while fountains of blood pour out all over the place would have been amazing. When Riot does his stupid scythe that doesn't actually hurt anyone it'd instead have been a good and cool scene.

Nahhh,the movie was (a very long) tongue in cheek kind of thing,buckets of blood would have looked out of place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like most 90s antihero types, it's greatly improved by being obviously toned down to the point of goofiness.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fountains of blood sound stupid

I kinda agree regarding Venom specifically as far as blood goes. Venom is way more about crushing skulls and eating brains. Some of the various enemy symbiotes use more scythe and blade-like attacks forms which sets them apart. In the comics it was smart because it let Venom be extremely brutal "on screen" without having a lot in the way of blood gore.

Closer to how like in the Blob remake where while there are some gruesome moments there's a lot of parts where it's not bloody but you see and hear the blob envelop and smash people/break their backs/suck people down a drain painfully. Honestly it should have been rated R either way to just to maximize that. The symbiote grabs someone and completely mangles them while Eddie talks poo poo about how awesome he is/how lame the victim is all happening on screen is like peak Venom. But you don't even need blood to pull that off, just a contortionist and/or good effects and good bone breaking gross sound effects.

But at the same time if you're gonna use a character like Riot whose entire point is "Venom but an even bigger rear end in a top hat" and have him use scythe kinda stuff like Carnage you gotta give us something to contrast that with how Venom rolls on screen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spiderverse and Venom both had a lot of funny fanart, anywhere with good dumps of that? Especially the crossovers where the spider-people have another hobo uncle.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CelticPredator posted:

It ends perfectly mother fucker

The ending is the best part of the entire movie and maybe my favorite Shyamalan ending. I really don't understand all the complaints about the ending.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

i do wonder if they'd even bother doing a pg carnage villian though,his entire point is....well....carnage.There's only so much clever camera trickery you can hide the violence with before it's like, too sanitized.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Samurai-movie blood in Venom would have been a 100% improvement. Also better writers and non-poo poo CG.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

How would Venom have been any different if it were R instead of PG-13.

Graphic symbiote sex scene.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Graphic symbiote sex scene.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

wow try unseeing that

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

i do wonder if they'd even bother doing a pg carnage villian though,his entire point is....well....carnage.There's only so much clever camera trickery you can hide the violence with before it's like, too sanitized.

I mean, the comics have never really shown in full detail all the hosed up poo poo Carnage does, only telling the audience through the characters , showing their reactions to said acts or giving very brief glimpses to the aftermath. I don't see why should be harder to pull off on screen.

That's also why I don't fully understand the claims of a R-rated Venom since the character himself has never been one that relies on graphic content to work.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So we did the Man of Steel watch-through.

6 people, 4 of them had already seen it at least once going in (2 loved it, 2 disliked it), and two people who went in fresh. We watched it once through, and then after while discussing it we ended up going through the entire movie again a second time pausing to point out certain things we liked or disliked. We went from about 5:30pm - 430am, so 11 hours.

It was a lot of fun, although I'm not sure anyone's opinions were drastically changed. The two people who disliked the movie based on an earlier viewing did end up coming out more positive as they accepted rebuttals of some of their perceived issues-- "Pa Kent being selfish and poorly written" & "Not buying that Superman would choose Earth when he was treated so poorly".

We discussed talking points from all of those videos you guys posted. People made tons of bad analogies. We looked up a Kansas recipe and made Bierocks beforehand to eat during the movie, and they were delicious.

We will probably do the same thing for Batman vs. Superman

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
boy this is a really well-edited sequence, Captain Marvel really out there pushing the boundaries forward (holy poo poo what a mess)

https://twitter.com/MCU_Tweets/status/1091633365030223872

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I just don't get why it looks so bland, like even amongst other MCU films. There's no vibe or pull to it at all.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Megasabin posted:

So we did the Man of Steel watch-through.

6 people, 4 of them had already seen it at least once going in (2 loved it, 2 disliked it), and two people who went in fresh. We watched it once through, and then after while discussing it we ended up going through the entire movie again a second time pausing to point out certain things we liked or disliked. We went from about 5:30pm - 430am, so 11 hours.

It was a lot of fun, although I'm not sure anyone's opinions were drastically changed. The two people who disliked the movie based on an earlier viewing did end up coming out more positive as they accepted rebuttals of some of their perceived issues-- "Pa Kent being selfish and poorly written" & "Not buying that Superman would choose Earth when he was treated so poorly".

We discussed talking points from all of those videos you guys posted. People made tons of bad analogies. We looked up a Kansas recipe and made Bierocks beforehand to eat during the movie, and they were delicious.

That sounds like a ton of fun imo. Happy our virwing material was of help!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Well that looks balls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone actually care about seeing Captain Marvel instead of just Infinity War 2?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you don't watch Captain Marvel ten times in the theater and bring all your friends you're nothing but a misogynistic pig.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That clip looks like one of CW's shows.

I do find more worrying the near unanimous praise on the comments though.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

ElNarez posted:

boy this is a really well-edited sequence, Captain Marvel really out there pushing the boundaries forward (holy poo poo what a mess)

this is clearly foreshadowing the Thanos Train that will be in Avengers: End Game

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Megasabin posted:

Make sure it's the Ultimate Edition.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone actually care about seeing Captain Marvel instead of just Infinity War 2?

I was pretty hype when they announced Brie Larson was cast. I tried reading Captain Marvel comics to educate myself, but holy poo poo they're bad. And then all the subsequent trailers and clips that have come out significantly lowered my expectations. It looks rote as gently caress, and Brie Larson seems like she's sleepwalking through the role. Also her vocal fry is far too noticeable for me and I hate it, but I guess it's era-appropriate?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fart City posted:

I just don't get why it looks so bland, like even amongst other MCU films. There's no vibe or pull to it at all.

The makers though 90s grunge was the color pallet of the decade, forgetting all about Hyperolor and Hip-Hop.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think it looks that bad and Imma watch it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Needs eye searing pog colours and holographic foil costumes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That clip looks like one of CW's shows.

I do find more worrying the near unanimous praise on the comments though.

Yeah, the comments are legitimately weirding me out. How does someone watch that and not go "ew?"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That didn't look bad for something Rich Evans pulled off the Wall of the Worst.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ElNarez posted:

They always cut clips down, so it usually ends up looking incomprehensible.

I’d wager, editing wise at least, it’ll look better.

Still don’t care about it at all though.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CelticPredator posted:

They always cut clips down, so it usually ends up looking incomprehensible.

I’d wager, editing wise at least, it’ll look better.

Still don’t care about it at all though.

its entirely comprehensible. it's incredibly boring and uncompelling. the loving line "the trains heading for a tunnel up ahead" is so goddamn awful. there's no punch at all.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I just can't handle every action sequence taking place at 1:00pm on a cloudy day. It's loving disgusting.

It's LA in the 90s you loving assholes! Set it at sunset or something Jesus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ammanas posted:

its entirely comprehensible. it's incredibly boring and uncompelling. the loving line "the trains heading for a tunnel up ahead" is so goddamn awful. there's no punch at all.

Oh it’s not good I agree, but it looks choppy, they cut that poo poo down to be super short and it ends up feeling worse than it should.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looks loving boring and it shot in the most bland loving way imaginable.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i've watched enough finished MCU films to know that it's not the fault of whoever edited the trailer that it looks like that

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

That looks tedious, but people in the comments seem to love it so well done I guess.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

porfiria posted:

I just can't handle every action sequence taking place at 1:00pm on a cloudy day. It's loving disgusting.

It's LA in the 90s you loving assholes! Set it at sunset or something Jesus.

There's an argument to be made for shooting against a bland background to draw your attention to the foreground. But when the costume is grey and the cars are grey and the trains are grey, not so much. It's a good thing the lead is blonde or there'd be no color at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The weird thing is like, why aren’t you using the movies of the 90’s as a template, taking advantage of the setting to homage the decade? Like look at the harsh blues and oranges of Terminator 2, or even the oppressive smog and heat of something like Falling Down. I just don’t get the flat gray color palette, and I really don’t get them not embracing the gimmick of the time period more. Anything to makes it not seem so utterly generic.