Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Watch Shin Mazinger. Idk what the hell Mazinger infinity is but it's probably bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Your Parents posted:

Watch Shin Mazinger. Idk what the hell Mazinger infinity is but it's probably bad

Infinity is the movie that came out last year.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, that movie was bad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Sadly, that wasn't the case for Mazinger Infinity. The comedy wasn't particularly funny, the action was rare and not terribly interesting, and the drama didn't land. It felt like the film had drama not because it had something to say, but because a film's supposed to say something about the human condition, and they had to vaguely gesture at a bunch of themes in hopes they could bluff their way through.
The movie isn't very good, but if you were expecting a Mazinger anything to comment on the human condition like it was a novel written by some drunk Russian 160 years ago I don't really know what to tell you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

when the movie does set this stuff up i don't think it's unreasonable to expect something, even if this is the franchise with titty missiles.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
All the Infinity discourse was about whether the paneling details on Mazinger are good or bad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mazinger deals with existential themes like "if there were two people in ancient greece and then they got sewn together down the middle would that be hosed up or what"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

dogsicle posted:

when the movie does set this stuff up i don't think it's unreasonable to expect something, even if this is the franchise with titty missiles.
I don't really think its meant to set anything particularly nuanced up. It uses the stock plotline of "Your favorite characters from [old franchise] are now grown up in a world that might not need them anymore! Can they still save the day?" but like I said that's a stock plotline.

Like did you see or read of any of the interviews with the director? When asked questions like "What is the theme of the movie?" he would give simple answers like "Entertainment" and go on about how cool he thinks rocket punches are or whatever. That's the kind of ground the movie should be criticized on IMHO.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

drat i forgot the dude really did say that dumb poo poo :negative:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm already planning to at least take a look at more VOTOMs, and Patlabor and Macross Plus both are on my eventual list, but quality isn't the most important thing for a sampler, especially it's at least bad in an interesting way.

I was really surprised by VOTOMS, I thought it would be a good mecha show but it's really a good sci-fi show with mecha. Hope you enjoy.

You didn't mention Big O! "Underground Terror" -> "Enemy is Another Big" is a good sampler.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think he also said some poo poo about how they didn't make Grendizer noncanon, it's just that nobody in Infinity feels the need to talk about what happened. Like, come on dude, poo poo or get off the pot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The movie isn't very good, but if you were expecting a Mazinger anything to comment on the human condition like it was a novel written by some drunk Russian 160 years ago I don't really know what to tell you.

I expect if a film devotes more of its runtime to talking about What Is Right and Humanity's Greatest Weakness than to sweet robot fights, it would actually have something to say about them. (Unless humanity's greatest weakness is their appallingly low quality kung-fu, in which case I expect the hero to bust out a Sekiha Tenkyoken or a Buddha Palm in the last act.)

It's not like I went in thinking this would be Dostoevsky. But even shows like G Gundam and TTGL clearly care about whatever people monologue over, while Mazinger Infinity just treats them like it's fulfilling a legally mandated quota.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

chiasaur11 posted:

I expect if a film devotes more of its runtime to talking about What Is Right and Humanity's Greatest Weakness than to sweet robot fights, it would actually have something to say about them. (Unless humanity's greatest weakness is their appallingly low quality kung-fu, in which case I expect the hero to bust out a Sekiha Tenkyoken or a Buddha Palm in the last act.)

It's not like I went in thinking this would be Dostoevsky. But even shows like G Gundam and TTGL clearly care about whatever people monologue over, while Mazinger Infinity just treats them like it's fulfilling a legally mandated quota.

Imagawa is an incredible director and G Gundam is one of the best animes. For more Imagawa watch Shin Mazinger.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Your Parents posted:

Imagawa is an incredible director and G Gundam is one of the best animes. For more Imagawa watch Shin Mazinger.

Saving Giant Robo for last so Imagawa's greatest work doesn't overshadow the rest? Good idea.

It doesn't have the robot, but Goshogun: The Time Etranger might be more up your alley for drama and human themes, chiasaur. The series is available from Discotek, but I've only seen the first episode so I can't comment on overall quality except that it's way, way different from the movie.

Baldios is another weird old super robot movie I enjoyed. Not sure if that one has the series available in English, but the movie is the one with an ending anyway.

Voltes V is worth watching if you can handle a solid 30 or so episodes of monster-of-the-week, but it's entertaining motw.

If you want more Tomino, try Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3. Back to back.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

And I'd say that's more or less been the case of Mazinger for nearly 50 years. Even in Nagai's original manga the talk about how Kouji could be a god or devil in the beginning never actually amounts to any real internal conflict. It's always been a silly children's franchise and that's fine. Infinity is just continuing in that.

Like I 100% agree G Gundam and TTGL are easily superior works with more to say, but consider the vastly different lineages they're coming from. G Gundam is continuing what Yoshiyuki Tomino started (Even if Imagawa filters similar ideas and themes through very different means than Tomino would). Before TTGL, Gainax were the people that did Hideaki Anno's shows as well as stuff like FLCL and DieBuster. Mazinger comes from the

Motto posted:

mazinger deals with existential themes like "if there were two people in ancient greece and then they got sewn together down the middle would that be hosed up or what"

people. That's the level its working on and should be judged under. Like if I were to compare Infinity to something to tear it down, it might be the new Dragon Ball Super movie.

This isn't to say there isn't plenty of goofy or adolescent stuff in G Gundam or TTGL either, but from the beginning I think they were meant to appeal to a different kind of audience.

MarsDragon posted:

If you want more Tomino, try Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3. Back to back.
I still say those are thematically more related than people generally give them credit for (In a sense they even have kind of similar endings), though Zambot is the more successful IMO. I like Daitarn though.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 2, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

chiasaur11 posted:

I've been watching an episode or two of some other mech shows this year, just enough to feel like I have a vague idea what they're about and so I can know which ones I'll actually want to follow up on. So, basically, I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions. I'm already planning to at least take a look at more VOTOMs, and Patlabor and Macross Plus both are on my eventual list, but quality isn't the most important thing for a sampler, especially it's at least bad in an interesting way.

"Bad in an interesting way" is a drat near perfect description of all the mech shows I like. :v:

VOTOMs, Patlabor, and Macross Plus are all some of the best shows of their respective styles, so rather than recommend similar shows I'm going to try and point of mech shows that take a different approve. I'll also stick to shows that are available on streaming sites, because loving spending $50 on a bluray only to learn you don't like that style of show.

Casshan https://www.hidive.com/tv/casshan
This isn't quite a mech show per se, as it stars a kung-fu cyborg rather than a guy piloting a giant robot, but it's very much of the same style. Furthermore, it's one of the better animated and choreographed shows of the '70s. Casshan the cyborg "Neo-Human" wanders a world that's been conquered by Nazi-robots kicking rear end and taking names. He's aided by his robot dog Friender, and human girl Luna, who has the mysterious power of being able to shoot things with a gun.
I really, really dig janky '70s episodic robot shows, but I recognize they ain't everyone's cup of tea. Still, Casshan is a blast.

Xabungle https://www.hidive.com/tv/blue-gale-xabungle
I haven't seen this show all the way through, but what I have seen I've liked quite a bit. One man's illegal quest for revenge spirals into a planetary revolution against the ruling class who control technology. Despite what that plot summery may lead you to believe, it's quite silly and very cartoony. A lot of gags wouldn't be terribly out of place in Huckleberry Hound. The giant robots run on gasoline engines.

Space Runaway Ideon https://www.hidive.com/tv/space-runaway-ideon
This show is somewhat infamous for being dark, but much more than that it's loving weird. A small human colony on a distant world encounters an alien race, and a series of miscommunications soon bring them into open conflict. As the humans are about to be overwhelmed, when they discover an mysterious space ship and accompanying giant robot buried beneath the planet. It turns out not to have been quite the blessing they thought it was.
Ideon takes equal cues from Gundam, Forbidden Planet, and 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's a drat trip.

I was also gonna recommend the 2005 Gaiking show but apparently Crunchyroll isn't carrying it anymore? Which sucks because it's lowkey the best loving robot show of the past twenty years.

I can't really guess if any of these would be to your taste, but maybe one or another will appeal to you.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 2, 2019

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
xabungle is dope. the mecha are all so cool.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Xabungle is probably my favorite Tomino made work, it’s so good.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Saying a one year old movie can't be judged on it's merits because it's based on a 45 year old children's cartoon sounds like dumb apologia. Did you know: people can try to do new things? And then those things can fall flat? Infinity is shallow because it's a shallow work, not because it inherited some immutable quality from the TV show.

Agreed on Broly though. It has the good sense to give the audience what they expect.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Xabungle, L-Gaim, and Gainer are the only ones I haven't seen by Tomino yet. Looking forward to Xabungle and Gainer at least.

Has anyone actually seen L-Gaim? What's it like? Is it even a real show?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Raxivace posted:

Xabungle, L-Gaim, and Gainer are the only ones I haven't seen by Tomino yet. Looking forward to Xabungle and Gainer at least.

L-gaim is really...weird. It had a lot of influence from Star Wars since there are literal lightsaber battles in it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I saw the first five or six episode of L-Gaim back when it was first being fan-translated, but all I really remember is that the setting is superficially similar to Xabungle (somewhat scifi Mad Max -esque) and that the L-Gaim itself is a gorgeous machine who's main gun attaches to it through an audio cable.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Oh yeah, Casshan rules. I watched it along with Casshern Sins and ended up liking the original a lot better. Sins had some great episodes, but a lot of the time it just felt kind of plodding and aimless.

If you want more 70s Tatsunoko, watch some Space Knight Tekkaman. It suffers from being kind of by the numbers until the team finds its stride just a bit too late to save the show from cancellation but once it gets going it's a lot of goofy 70s fun.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

MarsDragon posted:

Baldios is another weird old super robot movie I enjoyed. Not sure if that one has the series available in English, but the movie is the one with an ending anyway.

Baldios' TV series was also licensed back in October (by Discotek)! I only ever saw the episodes through VHS Italian dubs on Youtube, so I could only get the barest of ideas on what happens in them, but there's some weird stuff in there like a colony of cyborgs (?) on Mars in a hidden city that dress as ancient Greecians/Japanese people??? :v:

It's like, $50 for the licensed bluray on Amazon though... :negative:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for the L-Gaim takes. It sounds curious, especially since it seems to have been kind of forgotten even by Tomino enthusiasts.

HitTheTargets posted:

Saying a one year old movie can't be judged on it's merits because it's based on a 45 year old children's cartoon sounds like dumb apologia. Did you know: people can try to do new things? And then those things can fall flat? Infinity is shallow because it's a shallow work, not because it inherited some immutable quality from the TV show.

Agreed on Broly though. It has the good sense to give the audience what they expect.
I think it would be hard to argue it didn't inherit the kind of shallow story that the series was when that was specifically what the filmmakers were trying to emulate, continue, and appeal to the fans of. Like in interviews they even talked about doing huge marathons of it while making Infinity.

I think the Broly movie is very similar in a lot of ways, but succeeds where Infinity fails despite also being a pretty shallow story because it has better action, stronger albeit basic characterization, better comedy etc. Those are the parts of chiasaur's Infinity critique I very much agree with.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

Thanks for the L-Gaim takes. It sounds curious, especially since it seems to have been kind of forgotten even by Tomino enthusiasts.

I don't know all the details, but supposedly this was partly because of Mamoru Nagano's involvement with the series. He was a character and mechanical designer for the series, but some bad blood developed between him and others in the animation industry (and maybe Tomino in particular?) after the fact. This was exasperated when a SRW game used an unused robot design he produced for the show that he felt he owned.

Whatever the case, Nagano has largely gotten out of the animation business and instead produces the Five Star Stories and Gothicmade mangas... which just so happen to closely resemble L-Gaim in more than a few ways.

This left L-Gaim itself has become a sort of orphaned property that no one who worked on wants to promote.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

L-Gaim is my favorite Tomino work outside of the Gundam franchise. On the whole the show is very much a melodramatic space soap opera, with love triangles, surprise relatives, hidden identities, an Evil Space Empire, and so on.

I guess the closest non-Gundam Tomino work I'd compare it to in feel and tone is Dunbine, but unlike Dunbine, L-Gaim didn't spend 2/3 of its runtime spinning its wheels and being crushingly boring. It makes sure to insert some genuinely funny Xabungle-style Tomino comedy from time to time to keep things from getting too heavy, as well.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I watched the majestic prince movie. How come I've never heard of this series?

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Ka0 posted:

I watched the show with a friend when it was airing, but I guess it kinda just fell by the wayside. It did air in the exact same season as Valvrave and Gargantia, which might explain things.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mjp ended up being the best of the three by far, which i don't think anyone expected.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I watched Gargantia when it came out, the only things I remember are: future advanced synthetic pod-grown people speak space-german, backwaters scrappy waterworld dwellers speak space-portuguese, chamber is kyon and oh boy that girl can belly dance with her friends.
Is Valvrave any good?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ka0 posted:

It was a fun show that wasn't particularly exemplary or terrible enough to be notable on your radar, I guess? It's a pretty good show, one that has some decent characters, mecha designs and fights. Definitely kept my interest week to week, and certainly is something that I wouldn't be shy about recommending-- other than that there are shows that are easier to recommend based on having better plots or animation or just any individual aspects.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm just a tad miffed a show so amazingly well-fitting for SRW has only shown up in the mobile game so far.

Edit: One of the reasons I loved MJP was that it always knew when not to take itself too seriously. For example, this gem from the movie:

Motto posted:

ever the grounded and serious series, the MJP movie provides a realistic result to bringing the old secret prototype 0 unit out of storage
http://i.imgur.com/ut7roKo.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/fVLQYqY.mp4

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 3, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ka0 posted:

I watched Gargantia when it came out, the only things I remember are: future advanced synthetic pod-grown people speak space-german, backwaters scrappy waterworld dwellers speak space-portuguese, chamber is kyon and oh boy that girl can belly dance with her friends.
Is Valvrave any good?

I remember it being disappointing but not bad, up until the trans panic episode

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Ka0 posted:

Is Valvrave any good?

Valvrave was funny bad until the rape scene and then it was horrible until the end. Don’t bother with it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

Zero White moment in the movie

When that happened I began rolling my eyes, of course there's a "secret robot prototype in the hallway that nobody's using" but then the writers were smart enough to put that gag in, and it gave an excuse for the computer girl to do something with her seed powerAwakening. It was wonderful, I am ashamed of finding out about this show just now.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Pureauthor posted:

I'm just a tad miffed a show so amazingly well-fitting for SRW has only shown up in the mobile game so far.

Probably because they want people to be interested in the mobile game(s) and not just the main SRW titles.

That's also why Gundam IBO is going to debut in SRW DD and not in the upcoming console game.

Gripweed posted:

I remember it being disappointing but not bad, up until the trans panic episode

That episode was the worst part of Gargantia, but I thought the show was decent overall. I suppose some folks were cynical about the main twist because it's been done before? Either way, I am still disappointed they cancelled the planned anime sequel and just made some light novels instead.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Valvrave was funny bad until the rape scene and then it was horrible until the end. Don’t bother with it.

I didn't think it was "horrible" after the fact, things even became rather predictable at one point, but they did sweep that topic under the rug rather shamelessly. I enjoyed some parts. Still, not a show I'd really recommend.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

wielder posted:

That episode was the worst part of Gargantia, but I thought the show was decent overall. I suppose some folks were cynical about the main twist because it's been done before? Either way, I am still disappointed they cancelled the planned anime sequel and just made some light novels instead.

Speaking for myself, I thought the art and character and robot designs and world were all really cool and interesting, but for a somewhat slow moving character based show none of the characters outside the main guy got any real development. And the main guy's arc was good, but not really dramatic or interesting enough to hold up the entire show by itself

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Valvrave is insane and I wish another show like it would be made, but without the "consentual rape" scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wouldn't mind another show like s1 of valvrave, but s2 was a boring slog.