Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That kind of half-arsed censorship of profanity where they just silence the vowel sound (eg. sh_t). You can still hear exactly what the word is - it serves no useful purpose for anyone - it's just slightly irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

That kind of half-arsed censorship of profanity where they just silence the vowel sound (eg. sh_t). You can still hear exactly what the word is - it serves no useful purpose for anyone - it's just slightly irritating.

It lets you know they're so polite! Not polite enough to delete the expletive entirely but polite enough that they KNOW the word and CHOSE to efface it slightly out of POLITENESS

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It gave us a great Flight of the Conchords song and skit

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My Kiwi husband grew up censoring "poo poo" to "shh". So you had dogshh, birdshh, horseshh, etc. :rolleyes:

He don't do that no more.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

My Kiwi husband grew up censoring "poo poo" to "shh". So you had dogshh, birdshh, horseshh, etc. :rolleyes:

He don't do that no more.

Sean Connery is not a Kiwi.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Things that make you use autopay/autorenew. I'd rather be forced to remember or face late fees than think I'm all set for bills only to wake up with no money in my account with days left until my next paycheck because some bullshit thing I forgot I even had auto-renewed. Particularly if it's an annual renewal. They always hide it too by sending the "we are going to charge you" email like 3 weeks before it expires, and I think "oh i'll cancel it later, no way i'm going to forget that" and then I do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Things that make you use autopay/autorenew. I'd rather be forced to remember or face late fees than think I'm all set for bills only to wake up with no money in my account with days left until my next paycheck because some bullshit thing I forgot I even had auto-renewed. Particularly if it's an annual renewal. They always hide it too by sending the "we are going to charge you" email like 3 weeks before it expires, and I think "oh i'll cancel it later, no way i'm going to forget that" and then I do.

Was buying the ducky twice worth it?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Was buying the ducky twice worth it?

yeah i might be broke but at least i have the correct picture attached to my lovely posts

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Websites that just throw you out if you refuse their ad/cookie preferences.
Especially since they're usually the kind of sites you'll only ever visit once because a recipe or a google result pointed there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The combination of YouTube recommendations not having the upload date on them and YouTube forgetting which videos you've already watched after a while. You see a video you don't recognise the title of, from a channel you normally watch, and you think "Is this a recent one I haven't seen yet or an old one I watched ages ago?" And there's no way to know other than to click on it, which I absolutely will not do. Show me the loving date!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's loving 2019, can restaurants just have Coke and Pepsi products?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

When someone thinks they are special because they do not use or have facebook. Stop trying so hard to be an edgelord.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

When someone thinks they are special because they do not use or have facebook. Stop trying so hard to be an edgelord.

see also: not owning a TV, not knowing how to drive

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

In my defense driving is a skill and I have little of that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

In my defense driving is a skill and I have little of that.

to be fair I only get annoyed when people are smug about it, like "back where I'm from we don't need cars, we have good public transport like a first world country". Which, fair enough, if you live somewhere where you can do that, fine, but if you're in some new more remote suburb and act like that you're just intentionally remaining a burden to your friends who have to be your personal chauffeur. If there's a legitimate reason like finances or some kind of disability it's fine, it's only the people who try and make a stubborn point like "I shouldn't need to drive so I won't even try to learn" that annoy me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I neither drive nor use Facebook. BOW BEFORE YOUR GOD.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's equally annoying when people act like I'm just being a huge edgelord for not having a TV when I really, actually don't have a TV and they are the ones that brought it up by asking me something TV related.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Learning to drive as an adult blows goats. I have/had a horrifying phobia surrounding it that doesn’t play nicely with ptsd and let me tell you right now, it’s nothing to be proud of. It’s barely something to be tolerated.

I’m probably a lot of people’s peeve because I drive like a mean, scared grandma. I’m sorry y’all.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think you just need the right teacher. I can't speak to that experience as an adult but I'd imagine it's harder to find someone willing to teach you the way you need to be taught for it to stick. For me it was basically my dad showing me the basics in a church parking lot for like 30 minutes, then driving on a rural highway for a bit, then "alright, now get on the interstate". Something about getting thrust into the worst conditions right away (albeit in the slow lane not during rush hour) made things click. It helped that he wasn't the type that nagged you on every little thing and stayed calm and just trusted my instinct not to die to figure it out.

Anyway like I said if there's something legit holding you back from learning then it's fine, my only issue is the people who could and live in a place where most people would agree it is necessary but just don't.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leavemywife posted:

It's loving 2019, can restaurants just have Coke products?
Agreed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

just order things by their generic name instead of brand name. Want some cola of whatever variety? Just say give me a liter of cola. What are you going to do, say "no" when they say "is pepsi ok?"?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What are you going to do, say "no" when they say "is pepsi ok?"?

Sometimes, yes. If someone wants a Coke but they only have Pepsi, it's not unreasonable to then decide to order a Mountain Dew or something instead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is a serious difference between “hhhhhaaaaaahaa you dumb idiot i don’t have a car/tv” and just not using one. Frex me ane my partner, we don’t have a tv but keep up on all our shows on my computer, and have two cars even though we use the bus as much as possible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I used to work at a place where the meetings were always literally at the beginning of the shift. It was a kitchen, to, so it'd be hard to listen to your boss drone on and on while every order printed out en masse, signaling the notion that you'd be {duration of meeting) behind the entire day.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I get home late and have to park several blocks from my house because all the spots are taken, and then when I get to my door a space has opened up while I was walking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

just order things by their generic name instead of brand name. Want some cola of whatever variety? Just say give me a liter of cola. What are you going to do, say "no" when they say "is pepsi ok?"?

That's exactly what I'm going to do, yes.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Signs, documents or websites where the Latin letters are sans-serif and Chinese characters are serif. Seems to happen more often than not, and it makes the differences between the writing systems even more jarring.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

When I get home late and have to park several blocks from my house because all the spots are taken, and then when I get to my door a space has opened up while I was walking.

I live two blocks from the center of a town that's the county seat, in an apartment building with its own parking lot (rare in this town). The parking lot has signs that say "private parking, by permit only," but they are very small signs and are hung in odd places, easy to miss.

2-3 times a year, we have big parades in town that draw thousands of people. Guess where 50 of them park.

Guess who never remembers the dates of the parades until arriving home from work and finding there are no spaces left in the parking lot or on the street within walking distance of home. Guess who is too afraid to call the tow-truck on any of the illicitly parked cars in the lot, for fear of seeming like a total rear end in a top hat curmudgeon who would viciously call a tow-truck on a happy family who just wants to walk in the Halloween parade. Guess who spends the evening on a spontaneous, hours-long shopping trip until the parade is over and the crowd has gone home.

This rear end in a top hat curmudgeon. :smith:

Whiz Palace posted:

Signs, documents or websites where the Latin letters are sans-serif and Chinese characters are serif. Seems to happen more often than not, and it makes the differences between the writing systems even more jarring.

Regarding websites -- this can probably be fixed by changing the fonts in your browser settings. If you use Chrome, here's an advanced font settings extension that will let you select the fonts for a huge list of non-Latin characters.

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Feb 6, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A man and woman are currently running around my house, screaming racial slurs, and jostling windows trying to find one that's unlocked. I called the police and they told me that they "don't get involved in THOSE KIND of situations" and hung up. America kicks rear end.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The gently caress? They don't get involved in break ins?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Delivery minimums that count things post-coupon price. I got a free pizza and side because they hosed up my order last time, but I went to go order it and I have to spend 15 dollars to actually get it. I don't need/want that much food, so having the coupon is pretty worthless since in the end i'm paying the same amount out of pocket, and am forced for the next few days to eat pizza hut food or the coupon value will just go to waste. It's almost like the coupons are a meaningless gesture intended to just shut me up and make me delete my tweet about their garbage pizza.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
stores that include unrelated, cheaper items in a listing in order to game the low to high price sort system. gently caress you

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Or semi-related items that are blatantly not what you're actually looking for. I'm looking for (thing), not the optional $7 accessory that goes with (thing).

This is why every store needs to let you set a minimum price as well as a maximum.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

This is why every store needs to let you set a minimum price as well as a maximum.

Or just sensible categories. Like, make "phone" and "screen protector" different things so that people can easily see what your cheapest phone is instead of having to skip past dozens of pages of phone accessories. Especially for products where some of the cheaper versions cost less than some of the more expensive accessories for the high-end versions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We have a small yard at work with a dog poo poo pickup bag dispenser, a big sign pointing to it, and a trash can. Yet somehow someone always has to take time out of their work fo go pick up crap that lazy assholes left sitting.

Also lazy assholes who just leave bags of dog poo poo sitting around instead of putting them in the trash. These are more common around my apartment.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Related: people who think tying the poo poo bag to a tree branch is better than leaving it on the ground since "nobody can step on it this way and the park janitors will see it more easily" etc.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Stores that print out a coupon with your receipt and it's a coupon for the thing you just bought.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MightyJoe36 posted:

Stores that print out a coupon with your receipt and it's a coupon for the thing you just bought.

Well next time you need to buy a 10lb sack of flour, you can save your $0.50 (expires in two weeks)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who complain about businesses doing the profitable thing instead of the right thing. Of course they do. All the time. This isn't news. How do you think capitalism works? Video game companies pushing micro-transactions and pre-order bonuses; media companies pushing political agendas rather than reporting impartially; retailers underpaying staff; a million other examples. Whatever the issue, it's not some shocking breach of trust, it's just businesses being businesses. That is what they do. You're complaining (endlessly) about the symptoms and refusing to acknowledge the disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

People who complain about businesses doing the profitable thing instead of the right thing. Of course they do. All the time. This isn't news. How do you think capitalism works? Video game companies pushing micro-transactions and pre-order bonuses; media companies pushing political agendas rather than reporting impartially; retailers underpaying staff; a million other examples. Whatever the issue, it's not some shocking breach of trust, it's just businesses being businesses. That is what they do. You're complaining (endlessly) about the symptoms and refusing to acknowledge the disease.

I can acknowledge the disease and complain about the symptoms