Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

credburn posted:

I thought The Division was a multiplayer game... like, slow Counter-Strike.

I mean, it is multiplayer. But a looter-shooter, essentially Tom Clancy's Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

What are some good Final Fantasy Tactics-esque games? I'm playing Voidspire Tactics right now, and the subclassing system is just deep enough to feel good. It helps that the maps are full of hidden loot to find. I kindof wish terrain had a greater role but RPGs almost never include terrain in the gameplay these days anyway.

Fell seal: arbiter's mark

It's a very good pastiche of fft.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What happened to that clear FFT homage game... Champion of Zodiacs or something? It just kind of sank?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Children of Zodiarcs? It came out to middling positive reviews.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

Fell seal: arbiter's mark

It's a very good pastiche of fft.

Oh yeah that looks great, gotta wait for it to come out of early access though. I'm also waiting for Arcadian Atlas.

As for Children of Zodiarcs, that's just a card-based tactics game, it has no job classes. The dice upgrade mechanic, from a review I'm reading, just seems to be like a replacement for equipment, because there's no other equipment. Characters get cards specific to them instead of skills.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

are there any games similar to the yawgh? That is: local multiplayer with each player their own character, story-focused choose your own adventure-esque.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

double nine posted:

are there any games similar to the yawgh? That is: local multiplayer with each player their own character, story-focused choose your own adventure-esque.

The only one I know of in particular is Monster Prom, if you feel like doing a co-op dating sim.

I feel like the videogame industry is really not that keen on local multiplayer, so if you really want something with that format, you might want to check out tabletop games. The big one is Tales of the Arabian Nights, although there's also Near and Far, which has slower story progression, but has more of a game attached to it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No clue if it's good, but there's also Fhtagn!, which as far as I can tell is simply The Yawhg + Lovecraft.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Looking for good turn-based RPG, single player. I just finished Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden and really want something like that. (already played Divinity 2).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Supreme Allah posted:

Looking for good turn-based RPG, single player. I just finished Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden and really want something like that. (already played Divinity 2).

How story heavy are you looking for? Because, if you're fine with a more vague make-your-own-story kinda thing, get Battle Brothers right now. It's one of the finest turn-based tactics games to come out in years.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Blast of Confetti posted:

I've been less in the mood to play big commitment open world action adventure games that seems to be the norm and I'm getting more in to roguelikes. What stands out in the genre?

fwiw I like Dream Quest and FTL more than Dungeons of Dredmor or TOME4. The later just throws too much equipment and stats at you and my eyes glaze over because it all becomes samey to me.

Dungeonmans is a great one to get into the genre. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup got me into the mechanics of traditional roguelikes, it's a "big" game with lots of detail. Golden Krone Hotel is like a shrunken down Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup with nice graphics and a manageable scope.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm looking for a game on PS4 where I can make a vehicle or mech look really cool. I don't care as much about the mechanics as I do about choosing paint and decals. I would prefer something action or sci-fi, like F-Zero GX, but I could be open to realistic stuff too.

Bonus points if I could name it and there's a plot or something. Basically I just want that anime feeling of having some super sweet awesome machine with personality.

Ace Combat looks really good but I heard you can't change the color of planes until you beat the game and it's just selecting from paint job, so I might hold off. But that style of game would be perfect.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there anything good semi-recently in the style of Heroes of Might and Magic? I've played with Age of Wonders 3, but apart from that I haven't touched anything similar since playing HoMM V (are 6 or 7 worth my time?) like a decade ago.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Age of wonders:planetfall is coming out this year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm looking for a game on PS4 where I can make a vehicle or mech look really cool. I don't care as much about the mechanics as I do about choosing paint and decals. I would prefer something action or sci-fi, like F-Zero GX, but I could be open to realistic stuff too.

Bonus points if I could name it and there's a plot or something. Basically I just want that anime feeling of having some super sweet awesome machine with personality.

Ace Combat looks really good but I heard you can't change the color of planes until you beat the game and it's just selecting from paint job, so I might hold off. But that style of game would be perfect.

Buy an Xbox and Forza 4 and you're good to go :). Otherwise I have nothin'

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So I'm sort-of enjoying The Division and I was wondering if there are any really great co-op tactical shooters out there for PC that me and my best bud can play.

First or Third person is fine, however many players, PVE preferred. I've also played the ever loving poo poo out of the Borderlands series, so please not that. FPSRPGs are good, as are traditional shooters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does EDF count as tactical?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Depends on your loadout :getin:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Riatsala posted:

So I'm sort-of enjoying The Division and I was wondering if there are any really great co-op tactical shooters out there for PC that me and my best bud can play.

First or Third person is fine, however many players, PVE preferred. I've also played the ever loving poo poo out of the Borderlands series, so please not that. FPSRPGs are good, as are traditional shooters.

Ghost Recon Wildlands immediately springs to mind if you're down for more open world stuff. If you go back a bit further there's also Ghost Recon Future Soldier which has a similar customize guns + fun gadgets kind of style but in a more linear tac-shooter format.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Really Pants posted:

If you're playing the... what are they called, the support dudes who summon tanks and air-strikes, yeah!

Otherwise it really depends on your loadout :getin:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Really Pants posted:

That's such a good idea

Is EDF 4.1 one of the good ones because I got that for free recently

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Riatsala posted:

That's such a good idea

Is EDF 4.1 one of the good ones because I got that for free recently

Yes!!!!!!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How is the online co-op if you're playing with just two players, or do you want to be playing two player local?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Splicer posted:

How is the online co-op if you're playing with just two players, or do you want to be playing two player local?

I have no idea so here are all of the menu options

and the "Online Mission" takes you here:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

2 player online EDF is fun!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Any farming games similar to the classic Sim Farm in terms of gameplay? I want something that is more akin to a business simulation with realistic weather, crop behavior and stuff like that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Any farming games similar to the classic Sim Farm in terms of gameplay? I want something that is more akin to a business simulation with realistic weather, crop behavior and stuff like that.

I do not have an answer for you, however if you were to ask in this thread they would be able to give you advice.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I know this is mostly pc games but I've recently been playing tangledeep (a fantastic rogue like made by two goons) and it's gotten me to wanting a decent rogue like or dungeon crawler on my phone for when I'm sitting around.

So, good roguelikes or dungeon crawlers on an android?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I know this is mostly pc games but I've recently been playing tangledeep (a fantastic rogue like made by two goons) and it's gotten me to wanting a decent rogue like or dungeon crawler on my phone for when I'm sitting around.

So, good roguelikes or dungeon crawlers on an android?

Hoplite!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also Cardinal Quest 2

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Looking for recommendations for what games I can get my GF to play. She's into open world RPG kinda thingies, but not very good at them. Preferrably nothing too story heavy as she's still learning english. She absolutely loved Zelda BOTW and The Witcher 3 (she's polish, so she had no problem understanding the story). We also played Borderlands 2 / pre sequel COOP and had a blast

We have PS2, PS3, PS4, Switch and a PC. Older games are cool aswell

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

texting my ex posted:

Looking for recommendations for what games I can get my GF to play. She's into open world RPG kinda thingies, but not very good at them. Preferrably nothing too story heavy as she's still learning english. She absolutely loved Zelda BOTW and The Witcher 3 (she's polish, so she had no problem understanding the story). We also played Borderlands 2 / pre sequel COOP and had a blast

Assassin's Creed Origins or Odyssey, either one or both. Just set it to Easy or whatever and you're good to go. Origins felt like it had way more story cutscenes than Odyssey, if that's your deciding factor. Odyssey still has cutscenes but the story is very basic and easy to follow. Odyssey also has a very badass female playable character, which may also be a factor in your choice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

texting my ex posted:

EDF 4.1!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How about Fallout: New Vegas, Dishonored or Deus Ex: Human Revolution? The latter two aren't quite as open world, but all three are accessible for casual players and should run on older PCs.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Phlegmish posted:

How about Fallout: New Vegas, Dishonored or Deus Ex: Human Revolution? The latter two aren't quite as open world, but all three are accessible for casual players and should run on older PCs.

As I said, nothing too story heavy as she's still learning english. Nothing too complicated either, I loved New Vegas and DE:HR but those are kinda above her skill level, apart from being too hard language wise.

Thanks for the AC recommendation, I'll check it out. Haven't played the series since the 2nd game

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

texting my ex posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn has a fairly straightforward narrative, and is about hunting robot dinosaurs.

The Infamous series is pretty straightforward superhero fare with moral "choices" so black and white that they really should have just made them two separate story campaigns.

Any of the Saints Row games would also probably work; their narratives are just marginally more complex, but can also be safely ignored in favor of just indulging in them for mayhem's sake.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I need a long game to tide me over until good games start coming out again (DMC:V and Sekiro specifically). I'd love something with a great story payoff. Candidates: Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, and Witcher 3. Any others to consider?

Nier:A qualifies, but I just beat it a few months ago (maybe the first Nier would be worth looking into?). Leaning on PC or emulated consoles, since I generally beat everything to completion or Platinum on PS4 (like Spiderman, GoW, HZD, etc.). AssCreed:Origin is done and Odyssey just isn't doing it for me. I do have Valkyria Chronicles 4 sitting there, but I don't actually like any of the characters and it's a little too much of a copy of VC1.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Just play Yakuza 0 and be the best crime boy you can be.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Riatsala posted:

Wildlands is actually good if you like military shooters. You are basically doing raids on narco bases over and over but the locations are
varied and the game is huge so it keeps things fresh. There are no restrictions where you can go either so you free to play as you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Edit: oops