Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

corn in the bible posted:

I wish the game had a conclusion and ending...

They just need to add a “fly into nearest sun” button that deletes your save and kicks you back to the desktop. Bam, player driven and mechanically enforced conclusion (suicidal captain) and end (your mans is erased from your computer’s memory).

PM me Trese bros, I’ve got all of the good ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I wish the game had a conclusion and ending...

Yeah, I was excited for the follow-up to the missions where you have to cure the plague, install Federation ambassadors, etc. but it just kind of fizzles out. Like it's not quite finished yet.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Agreed. I have shelved this for a bit until the updates build up a bit more and expand the story missions and some of my favored gameplay. I am very encouraged by the fact that they still release new stuff pretty much every week: 130 updates since Nov 15, 2017 is legit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are there more starts or does it always do the Highwind Station / Valencia Faenstory?

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are there more starts or does it always do the Highwind Station / Valencia Faenstory?

Always that. But there are three different branches to that story.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cool, I've been following Zetta's suggestions then and see how it turns out.

I hope this can be completed with my favoured combat method: screaming and running away while on fire.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god the ios version is going to be out today or tomorrow im going to be playing a lot more of this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh god the ios version is going to be out today or tomorrow im going to be playing a lot more of this.

I do remember thinking when I played this that this should absolutely have been a touchscreen game. If you do get it I'm looking forward to impressions

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The app's out! Too large to download without wifi tho :v

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just playable on a phone, pad's probably what you want tho!

Its quite cramped and ui elements are squished or shoved into collapsed menus or consolidated. Usable on the pad, on the phone theres more squinting. The pc version feels nice and roomy in comparison. Gameplay is identical as far as I can tell.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 30, 2019

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Agreed. I have shelved this for a bit until the updates build up a bit more and expand the story missions and some of my favored gameplay. I am very encouraged by the fact that they still release new stuff pretty much every week: 130 updates since Nov 15, 2017 is legit.

As best I can tell the Trese Brothers are still updating every game they've ever released. Sometimes with major updates, too.

I don't think you have too much to worry about, here :P

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just got this on Android what a loving game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only downside is there's no cloud accounts, unlocks or saves. Not that my captains live long enough. :V

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Game's real goddamn good on mobile, though I can't imagine playing it on anything smaller than my lolhuge phablet Note 9.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Starting to get how to play this and loving it even more, just unlocked the Galtak Freighter. What else should i try to get that is easy to unlock?

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 3, 2019

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
On my latest run, the enemy faction of the Faen family ended up being the Independents. This is probably the best run for actually getting those missions done, right? The Indies aren’t really considered a proper faction, so any rep loss just vanishes into the ether. As long as I can keep my rep up with any other affiliated factions, I think I should be good.

e: oh God every single one of them has a different thread they want me to pursue which one of these actually advances the plot aaaaa

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Inadequately posted:

On my latest run, the enemy faction of the Faen family ended up being the Independents. This is probably the best run for actually getting those missions done, right? The Indies aren’t really considered a proper faction, so any rep loss just vanishes into the ether. As long as I can keep my rep up with any other affiliated factions, I think I should be good.

e: oh God every single one of them has a different thread they want me to pursue which one of these actually advances the plot aaaaa

How the hell does that happen? That makes for an awesome, drama free run.

And on different threads, the answer is all of them - but in different, mutually exclusive directions.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Starting to get how to play this and loving it even more, just unlocked the Galtak Freighter. What else should i try to get that is easy to unlock?

A lot of the unlocks are pretty easy, but only if you have a dedicated build and really shoot for it from the beginning.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
One of the plots does have something to do with Indies and the rep you lose for utterly destroying them. Valencia

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

habituallyred posted:

One of the plots does have something to do with Indies and the rep you lose for utterly destroying them. Valencia

There must be more branching than I thought because that path always has me being friends with the indies.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Speaking of the main plot, can anyone do a rough non-spoilery overview of which skills are needed for which main paths? I know they have different focuses, and I kinda want to build a captain for a specific one before setting out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good job crew, you found a gigantic pile of poo.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Synthbuttrange posted:

:perfect:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

willing to settle posted:

There must be more branching than I thought because that path always has me being friends with the indies.

I was trying not to be super spoilery but that path is the only introduction I have ever seen to indies gone wild. So if they already hate you there is not much point to that path.

It has been a while but skill wise I remember the disgraced daughter having a fair amount of exploring, combat, and trading.

The other daughter is mostly about spying in territories that will hate you, leading to combat.

The son is unashamedly focused on finding targets and catching them, great for bounty hunters.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guano_Islands_Act

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow the level 11 soldier smokebomb talent is silly. Keep the front two enemies incapacitated and doing 25% morale damage each time. Now if I could only incapacitate the back two reliable and I'll be set.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

How do you deal with that starting trade ban as a merchant?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did you get one randomly? Thats rough.

Find independent ports pretty much?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I mean the one that your chosen faction always has at the start, do people just take the rep hit with the opposing faction and fix that later, or trade around it, and if so how.

Trading in general is really confusing me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Factions will do dumb faction poo poo. Keeping an eye on where the independent systems are will save your rear end and is the way to early profits because they dont care about licenses or bans.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've been playing this game on beginner with some pretty terrible (I think) builds and so far I'm having a good time.

I am, however, hobbling along not being very effective making money. I've read a lot on here about trading - I have some issues here with figuring this seemingly simple concept out.

First, I can never seem to find where to actually get trade permits. Maybe my contact list isn't robust enough or I haven't done the right missions?

Second, I can't figure out who wants what and where they are as I'm having a terribly difficult time interpreting where planets are and what type of planet it is.

How do you guys figure out an effective route?

How much money should I have before I upgrade my starter explorer ship? What's a good ship to be on the lookout for?

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Vasler posted:

First, I can never seem to find where to actually get trade permits. Maybe my contact list isn't robust enough or I haven't done the right missions?

The various princes you meet will sell you trade permits. The story should introduce you to a few if you go a little down it.

quote:

TBH, at the moment I don't - I just buy whatever is good value (at least B rated) whenever i'm empty, go wherever I'm going, and check everywhere I stop to fuel to sell it for a profit and buy something else. Each good will tell you what sort of planet usually has demand for it.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

The atlas (globe-looking icon) is really useful for trading. It will show you all of the systems you can visit and their types. If you've actually landed there before it will even show you explicitly what that world will buy and sell among other useful information like Trade Law. You can access atlases of other systems by the star map (three dots connected by lines icon) too, if there's nothing in your current system worth visiting.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Vasler posted:

I've been playing this game on beginner with some pretty terrible (I think) builds and so far I'm having a good time.

I am, however, hobbling along not being very effective making money. I've read a lot on here about trading - I have some issues here with figuring this seemingly simple concept out.

Second, I can't figure out who wants what and where they are as I'm having a terribly difficult time interpreting where planets are and what type of planet it is.

How much money should I have before I upgrade my starter explorer ship? What's a good ship to be on the lookout for?

Buying a new ship is a late mid to early late game activity, I would say. In general none of them are really straight upgrades, they fulfill certain purposes. If you want to be a generalist, a lot of the starting ships (Frontier Liner, Galtak Freighter, Paladin Cruiser) are actually pretty solid. You can upgrade to one of the huge mega-expensive ones to stick with the generalist theme, but they're really expensive to run and very slow. Otherwise you need to figure out what you want to do with the ship and buy accordingly. In my opinion its often worth it to buy a small fleet of ships that you can swap out based on specific needs. The 5000 series ships are good for this because they mostly have pretty similar crew requirements.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

One thing I wish I could do is avoid or reduce non-hostile ship appearances. I'm on good terms with all factions, so trying to travel 10 systems away and hitting 2-3 ships per system isn't even dangerous or even tense, just tedious.

I want a Super Repel for space, basically.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Last update has a super fast combat mode, and two new talents to help you escape, so that's nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finally started playing this and ugh those hooks are in deep I’ve missed my subway stop twice—on the same trip home. I played their first one, but this feels much more delightfully intricate.

I feel like if I’m going to do crew battles (which of course are part of every approach except ultra-purist trading) then I want my officers in those roles so they aren’t deaded. But there are all those important other skills for my actual, like, path that I’m going to want to stack. Fake edit: actually, death save percentages aren’t too horrible so maybe I just let it ride.

Do you get different crews for different ships? I haven’t yet bought a second ship. If not, what happens to the excess folks?

What’s the difference between these two crew combat talent position lines? (I’m on iOS)
code:
**ox|****
**oo|****
Basically I don’t understand the difference between o and x.

Is there a more up-to-date wiki than the one on gamepedia? It describes a bunch of stuff that I don’t see. It also links to a list of tips that includes

quote:

8) Boarding an enemy ship is riskier and far more damaging to your ship and crew then straight up fighting or fleeing, there is very little gain from it.
but my experience is that crew combat is the only way to resolve a battle in a reasonable amount of time. Am I missing a trick?

Can I go home and play now?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The game gets updated a lot so that could well be out of date - I found that softening them up and closing to board is a fantastic, almost op approach with a few appropriate talents. One thing that's vital and easy to miss is that you need to upgrade your ships locker to get better weapons for your dudes.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Subjunctive posted:

Finally started playing this and ugh those hooks are in deep I’ve missed my subway stop twice—on the same trip home. I played their first one, but this feels much more delightfully intricate.

I feel like if I’m going to do crew battles (which of course are part of every approach except ultra-purist trading) then I want my officers in those roles so they aren’t deaded. But there are all those important other skills for my actual, like, path that I’m going to want to stack. Fake edit: actually, death save percentages aren’t too horrible so maybe I just let it ride.

Do you get different crews for different ships? I haven’t yet bought a second ship. If not, what happens to the excess folks?

What’s the difference between these two crew combat talent position lines? (I’m on iOS)
code:
**ox|****
**oo|****
Basically I don’t understand the difference between o and x.

Is there a more up-to-date wiki than the one on gamepedia? It describes a bunch of stuff that I don’t see. It also links to a list of tips that includes

but my experience is that crew combat is the only way to resolve a battle in a reasonable amount of time. Am I missing a trick?

Can I go home and play now?

If you have a second ship it sits in dry dock when you aren’t using it and you move your crew over intact afaik.

The X means that the skill cannot be used at that range regardless of weapon configuration, and I don’t know exactly how that changes because I usually use weapons with the class that gives the skill.

Ship combat is generally pretty fast, idk what you mean. Try using better weapons? Use accuracy buffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

sebmojo posted:

The game gets updated a lot so that could well be out of date - I found that softening them up and closing to board is a fantastic, almost op approach with a few appropriate talents. One thing that's vital and easy to miss is that you need to upgrade your ships locker to get better weapons for your dudes.

Heck same. When I played and I'd try to duke it out, my engines would get blown apart and I'd be dead in space and auto-killed.