Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Made some updates to my Trump model. Can't really get it to "pop" as Trump if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

you need way more reference material

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Harvey Baldman posted:

I appreciate that perspective. I'm definitely worried about striking that right balance of 'not to slow as to be unhireable but not too fast as to be unrealistic'. I was thinking of saying 10-15 hours, because I think if I did this as a day job, it'd take me two days of sitting down and working on it, whereas I did this in between my 9-to-5 over the last 4 days. If you think 20 hours isn't unrealistic, I think that helps me have at least some footing to work from.

That sounds pretty good! Nothing wrong with estimating a little based on what you feel you could manage doing it as a day job, and 10-15 (at least to me) seems way more realistic than 5.

There's also the skill nature of the job - you'll get better and faster the more you do it, and I think most studios are aware that the artists they're looking at will be growing during their time there.

E: this just reminded me of the artist who took 90 hours to make a couple of stacked cubes with some roughly and poorly arrayed windows floating on top.

That's the polar opposite, someone who claimed they could work fast (I'm sure they lied about art test time) and when it came to do real work, they had no idea what they were doing.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 26, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I have a bit of a rush job on that needs to be finished by next week and one material in particular is proving alarmingly difficult to find or source good maps of.

I'm looking for a black slate, almost exactly like this material - https://www.textures.com/download/pbr0058/133093?q=slate
however it needs to be a sheet, no grout lines, the equivalent of a 1m square (or above) in size. The only maps I can find are either painfully low res, or are pre-tiled like the above.

Anyone seen one in their travels? We're happy to buy it. Would need it at least 4k after tiling (happy to make it tile myself if the source is good)

Of all the materials to trip me up, I wasn't expecting this to be it... it's really surprised me how uncommon a material this seems to be. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

cubicle gangster posted:

I have a bit of a rush job on that needs to be finished by next week and one material in particular is proving alarmingly difficult to find or source good maps of.

I'm looking for a black slate, almost exactly like this material - https://www.textures.com/download/pbr0058/133093?q=slate
however it needs to be a sheet, no grout lines, the equivalent of a 1m square (or above) in size. The only maps I can find are either painfully low res, or are pre-tiled like the above.

Anyone seen one in their travels? We're happy to buy it. Would need it at least 4k after tiling (happy to make it tile myself if the source is good)

Of all the materials to trip me up, I wasn't expecting this to be it... it's really surprised me how uncommon a material this seems to be. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

does that site allow you to modify the actual substance graph? it should be pretty simple to remove the grout lines if so. You could also buy a texture and then stamp out the grout lines in photoshop?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doesnt look like it'll work. the tiles arent continuous. If you can get a look at the source substance file you may be albe to work it out.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

https://source.allegorithmic.com/assets/e76df13b47499224b140a8164a107d4af32c3bce?q=slate
That's kind of close? Though it doesn't look as defined / have as much surface variation.
If nothing else it's a very good starting point, since you get both the .sbsar and the .sbs

But yeah, alternatively pay out for the .sbs and rejigger it's graph to output a single larger panel.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd be tempted to get some rock texture that is close and then use it as an alpha in ZB. Set up Zb to wrap so you can work tileable then sculpt the panel. Use the sculpt to generate height, normals, curvature, cavity etc.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Vile Pilot posted:

Made some updates to my Trump model. Can't really get it to "pop" as Trump if that makes sense.

Lol
going for a realistic style, I guess?

I think eyes are too big and lips aren’t the right shape yet, his lips are way bigger at rest...
At least those are the features that usually jump out at me when looking at Donnie(besides the hair of course)

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

cubicle gangster posted:

An .sbsar worth its rear end should include parameters to adjust settings such as tile frequency, crack growth, height variation.... I'd shoot a mail to textures.com if the material comes with those parameters before purchasing its .sbs, it might save you a bit of money then.

Edit:

I checked out a free sister material and it came with parameters to adjust the tiling. Still worth it though to send a mail before purchasing to double check if its present on your material too.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 28, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thanks for the pointers everyone!

SpoonsForThought was able to edit and export some maps from substance for me. I ended up editing the reflection & glossiness maps heavily to bring out the grain too.

Here's the final result -

The material setup is one I use very often. From the top, it uses triplaner mapping to randomise texture offset & rotation per-element - so that it can be applied to any shape, size, or number of tiles and will remain seamless and random with no UV maps needed. After that is a dirt to darken the inside edges and provide contact shadows to objects placed on top of it, then it's multiplied with the output of a multitexture outputting a randomised grey color per element to add some color variation to each tile, then down at the bottom there's an edgetex providing render time fillets, multiplied with a noise so that the fillets arent perfect.
Very re-usable, and can be dropped onto any source object with no modification or UV's needed.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I remember putting a moderate amount of hours for the art test I did for my current job. Now my boss expects the same work in a third the time it's great.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shoulda taken 3 times longer on your art test to compensate, rookie move.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anybody else absolutely love everything by (Radiator) Robert Yang? He's definitely more focused on the design/level design side of making games but he's got so many gems related to environment art on his blog.

I love his writeup on bevels specifically.

"A fantasy of perception also assumes a deeper fantasy of consistency, a fantasy of a stable world. In so many video games, brick walls (and their bevels) survive countless bombs and blasts. Here, decay and erosion are just ornament, and they don't signal structural weakness. It reassures us of the game's materiality and endurance, that it is 100% solid video game, that it is worth $60, that it won't crumble under the weight of our play... that the game world won't suddenly end. Who can enjoy a playground in imminent collapse?"
https://www.blog.radiator.debacle.us/2017/07/bevels-in-video-games.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What do you guys charge to expedite a shot? Say it's a VFX shot and the client needs it expedited. We have some figures we use at our company but I work at an ad agency and commercial numbers can be bigger than film numbers. So I want to be fair.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

These guys are great, are they popular in CG circles? Been listening to their podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LArgA2QR2vo

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Interesting, probably as a response to the Adobe/Substance-Buyup:
Quixel have announced that Mixer will be getting a perpetual, 99usd license in the near future. But for now while it's in beta, it's free for everyone.

As a note, they're working on integrating the entire Quixel Suite into Mixer eventually, to make it a standalone program free from photoshop.
So that could end up being a pretty interesting alternative to substance painter, if you don't want to be tied to adobe.

https://quixel.com/blog/2019/1/30/the-year-of-mixer

quote:

Mixer beta is now FREE
As Mixer is gearing up for some massive upgrades, I am thrilled to announce that whilst it is in beta, access to Quixel Mixer has been made FREE for everyone.
This free beta is expected to run for most of this year, and we will keep you posted on our progress, as usual.
It will be completely free for you to play with, cut loose with, and give your feedback on.
We need your help to build Mixer into the robust, stable and fun application we need as an artistic community to take our art to the next level.

You can grab Mixer here: https://quixel.com/mixer

Going perpetual
Once the beta period is over, Quixel Mixer will also be available as a stand-alone application with a perpetual license at a cost of $99.
This is something many of you have requested over the year, and we’re happy to finally provide the #1 option asked for by indies and students.
Mixer will still, of course, be available as part of the monthly and yearly plans for all who prefer subscriptions.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Oh snap

Seizing the moment, nice

Unrelated question - I’d like to make a game, probably a top down shooter, and I was wondering how expensive it would be to commision an artist to design a couple of spaceships with my theme.
I’d then model those in 3D and go from there...

I guess looking on ArtStation would be a good start? If it’s too expensive I’d probably just design them myself but obviously I’m not a great artist

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also they just gave out 40 points to every current consumer subscriber.
( Which is the amount you get from a normal monthly Mixer+Megascan Points 29usd/4k/hobbyist subscription. )

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

That's pretty drat cool of Quixel to do that. Definitely seizing the moment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp guess I've a lot more time to work on the personal projects I've always wanted to do.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Synthbuttrange posted:

Welp guess I've a lot more time to work on the personal projects I've always wanted to do.

Oh no, layoff?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yup. Only consolation was it seemed to have been forced from the top down to lay off even more workers and my manager was pretty unhappy about it since we were already a lean a crew as we can get without losing vital skills. :v:

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh snap

Seizing the moment, nice

Unrelated question - I’d like to make a game, probably a top down shooter, and I was wondering how expensive it would be to commision an artist to design a couple of spaceships with my theme.
I’d then model those in 3D and go from there...

I guess looking on ArtStation would be a good start? If it’s too expensive I’d probably just design them myself but obviously I’m not a great artist

Try Rob Turpin he does great spaceships.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XBa6Y3

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

cYn posted:

Try Rob Turpin he does great spaceships.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XBa6Y3

Thanks, will try !

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Tried out the Mixer beta at work and it feels really underwhelming when compared to Substance. There might be something I'm missing but it seems lacking (although for $99 I see the value). Hopeful that the program gets more features further along the line.

Haven't really found any good documentation either which might mean I'm unaware of some stuff.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Putty posted:

Tried out the Mixer beta at work and it feels really underwhelming when compared to Substance.

I feel the same way. I’m in no way an expert in Substance but Mixer feels sluggish and the UI is similar enough to Painter/Photoshop to be confusing when things don’t work the way you expect they should. I’m optimistic but in my experience Quixel related programs have always felt a bit janky.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Seems like there is a market for a new 3d paint program. Too bad they take a shitload of work to create.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Haha I love this! Gets better with each iteration!

E: wow, I just went back and the first scan of the wheel you posted was my first introduction into Keyshot. That was like four years ago, man how time flies.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 3, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks! It has been forever since I touched the project but I recently entered it into an online contest to force myself to finish it. Needing to modernize the monowheel and add cyberpunk features to the project as a whole. I feel like the cigar, elvis glasses and helmet are way too retro but I am going for a mashup of old and new. In the way that someone might scavenge old scrap heaps to put their tech / lifestyle together. Nostalgia in the future still might be what we consider nostalgic now. Body modification / bio engineering heavily influenced by "ancient" literature. So - a flying monkey biker gang riding around in monowheels.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
OK, I'm dumb, because I can't figure it out using Google or anything...

Is there a widget or overlay in Cinema4D, that shows me the world space coordinates of wherever the cursor is? It's sort of annoying that I have to count grid lines to figure out where to place cuts on a geometric object.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Speaking of keyshot, rendering stuff is fun

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Phew, VES is over. What an experience! Didn't win, Lost in Space absolutely swept us in every category we were in, but it was well deserved for them.

Super proud of the nom and the team, and all the other incredible artists there.

Patton Oswalt was an amazing host (he has some barbs about industry stuff, goddamn) Roger Corman gave an award(!), and Steve Carrell did as well.

I'm freaking shot, have a flight to catch back in a few hours, and am walking around Burbank in some weird state, lol. Can't wait to be home in my bed.

E: Burbank wind delayed my flight FOUR goddamn hours. Two hours on the tarmac, one back in terminal, one on tarmac again. Was supposed to get into JFK at 10:50pm, not 2:30am lol. gently caress my life hahah. Won't be home until about 5am now.
Guess work can pound sand tomorrow lol cos I ain't doing poo poo.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 7, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

trying my hand again at an unreal engine 4 remake of blood gulch. still at the very early stages. its funny also that if you make a halo ring with the actual physical dimensions given by bungie, it doesnt look correct at ground level, so i have to make it like several times larger in order for it to actually feel right.

also here's my first attempts starting to model forerunner stuff. its tricky

Kanine fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 7, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

That looks real good, I’m sure the Unreal community would like that as a downloadable map

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Having a go with Zephyr, my Pixel 2 has a pretty good camera. I'd normally use a DSLR,

https://skfb.ly/6GMSx

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That looks real good, I’m sure the Unreal community would like that as a downloadable map

lol once i finish the map i might take a go at trying to make it work in ut4, but that's a secondary thing. (also there's 2 different unreal 4 halo fan projects right now so i wonder if they would want it as well)

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

cYn posted:

Having a go with Zephyr, my Pixel 2 has a pretty good camera. I'd normally use a DSLR,

https://skfb.ly/6GMSx

How'd you take the pictures with your phone? Did you use one of those tiny tripods or did regular photos do the trick? Been interested in photogrammetry for 3D printing recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You just take photos from every angle. I usually do 3 rings of height and aim to get 12-15 photos each ring. No guides or tripods needed if you're capturing it in neutral light.