Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I don't want to be rude, seriously, but this sort of behaviour is kinda dumb--or at least passive aggressive. If you think someone's read of Star Wars is wrong, say your peace and be done with it instead of sniping from the rafters

I dunno, you do you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Question Friend posted:

The leak says it ends with Kylo dead, Lando in possession of the Falcon, Rey training a new generation of jedis and a few mysteries set up to be solved in a later trilogy

lol they didnt even solve any of the "mysteries" from this trilogy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's hard to believe they would be stupid enough to have ken die and rey live. But I guess all else is debased before JJ's deep need to remake return of the jedi

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

piratepilates posted:

were the prequels born out of a context of the GWB presidency? only the third one was developed while he was in office. I was like 9 at this time so I can't remember politics first-hand, was GWB's rise to power while he was a governor an influential enough event to have inspired george lucas?

Attack of the Clones came out in 2002...

Anyway to reiterate:

Droids are doges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4KFR_j8Eew

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

piratepilates posted:

were the prequels born out of a context of the GWB presidency? only the third one was developed while he was in office. I was like 9 at this time so I can't remember politics first-hand, was GWB's rise to power while he was a governor an influential enough event to have inspired george lucas?

I honestly don’t know. I kind of feel like they were but I haven’t really done the work here and may be talking out of my rear end. But the point is, whether they were or weren’t is not itself the point - it’s a fun question to answer in its own right but doesn’t help us to understand what’s going on in the movies.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

porfiria posted:

Attack of the Clones came out in 2002...

quote:

Development of Attack of the Clones began in March 2000, some months after the release of The Phantom Menace. By June 2000, Lucas and Hales completed a draft of the script and principal photography took place from June to September 2000.

as far as I can tell the movie would have been written and started shooting in the run up to the election. post production during the final days of the election, and through 9/11, and the movie being released in 2002, halfway through GWB's first term

Ferrinus posted:

I honestly don’t know. I kind of feel like they were but I haven’t really done the work here and may be talking out of my rear end. But the point is, whether they were or weren’t is not itself the point - it’s a fun question to answer in its own right but doesn’t help us to understand what’s going on in the movies.

they definitely parallel how people look back on GWB's presidency. I don't think george lucas intentionally writing it on that basis has a bearing on the similarity between them. I do wonder though if it was random coindence, or whether GWB had enough of an effect to influence the development of the movies.

its a weird trilogy that was created half in a pre-9/11 world and half in a post-9/11 world. the narrative of palpatine amassing power in response to a terrorist attack, and domestic fears out a brewing war, is set up in AOTC. written before 9/11 and GWB being elected, and being released right after. I wonder how AOTC and especially ROTS would have turned out differently if al gore had won, how would the text read differently in that parallel universe. I suppose that would basically be writing al gore-as-president fan fiction and slipping in star wars references.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 3, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Phantom Menace was 1999 and skewered liberal ‘end of history’ ideology. The subsequent films incorporated some war on terror stuff, but that’s somewhat overblown by people who shy away from the anticapitalist themes.

It’s not that liberal capitalist democracy is bad, they say. It’s just been corrupted by an outside force.

American democrats (for example) are always eager to label their latest republican opponent a Palpatine, but the point of the films is that Palpatine merely makes use of what is given to him by people like Padme.

This is why Cnut has written hundreds of pages in a futile effort to cover up the fact that Padme owned slaves.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

piratepilates posted:

Does anyone remember that supercut of all the media reactions to the prequels? It had news shows commenting and interviews with the actors and Lucas and everything... it was several hours long and absolutely fascinating.

It was called something like "backslapping with the force" or something like that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This sounds dumb but this thread has made me a better person and thinker and I like movies more than ever. Thank you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The prequels don't really need to be born out of context of the George W. Bush presidency. He isn't the first president to display seriously disturbing government overreach.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I don't take anyone's literary criticism seriously unless they show me a good story they wrote, and the only poster ITT who's done that is SuperMechagodzilla with his Sonic fanfic

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

This sounds dumb but this thread has made me a better person and thinker and I like movies more than ever. Thank you

I hate movies even more after this thread

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

The prequels don't really need to be born out of context of the George W. Bush presidency. He isn't the first president to display seriously disturbing government overreach.

Yeah the tradition Palpatine is based on goes back literally two thousand years. Although it was a neat coincidence that Dubya was in office at the same time

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I hate movies even more after this thread

Not only that but this thread made me dumber than I already was before I started reading it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Question Friend posted:

I don't take anyone's literary criticism seriously unless they show me a good story they wrote, and the only poster ITT who's done that is SuperMechagodzilla with his Sonic fanfic

https://genius.com/John-cheever-reunion-annotated

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Not only that but this thread made me dumber than I already was before I started reading it.

I must have started really dumb then

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
I recall that Lucas mentioned that Nixon (amongst other people) was a major influence in Palpatine's characterization, and the W administration was predominantly composed of Nixon alumni, so it's a sense of both sides drawing form the same source material. Given that this also comes from a guy who named the villain in the first prequel Newt Reagan, and the villain in the second a secessionist, it's pretty reasonable to say that they are coded republican. But the films are clearly critical of the republic as an institution, and pretty much every component in its downfall is borne in some manner from it's failings, so SMG is right that an overfocus on that is mostly an attempt by liberals to avoid a reading that is inconvenient to their own ideology.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Arkhams Razor posted:

I recall that Lucas mentioned that Nixon (amongst other people) was a major influence in Palpatine's characterization, and the W administration was predominantly composed of Nixon alumni, so it's a sense of both sides drawing form the same source material. Given that this also comes from a guy who named the villain in the first prequel Newt Reagan, and the villain in the second a secessionist, it's pretty reasonable to say that they are coded republican. But the films are clearly critical of the republic as an institution, and pretty much every component in its downfall is borne in some manner from it's failings, so SMG is right that an overfocus on that is mostly an attempt by liberals to avoid a reading that is inconvenient to their own ideology.

I'm sad we never got Star Wars Dick Armey.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Taking goony/SMG-style Star Wars ideas seriously wouldn't make you stupid but it would give you schizophrenia

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Question Friend posted:

Taking goony/SMG-style Star Wars ideas seriously wouldn't make you stupid but it would give you schizophrenia

having opinions about a movie makes you mentally ill? what a strange thing to say

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Bonaventure posted:

I find it disappointing that no-one responded to this post in another thread, which is relevant: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879338#post491554212

..."Why would the playwright have hidden from the audience an element of the plot so essential to the drama?" I asked. The writer of the paper simply shrugged. Reading 75% of the posts in this thread gives me the same feeling I had while listening to that paper.

The "Death of the Author" does not mean that all readings are equally valid or that the author isn't a person. What is being critiqued is The Author figure, which is a very specific concept.

Bonaventure posted:

lol you're the one who needs to re-read it.

also, from earlier here is where Barthes indeed advocates for the death of context (emphasis mine)

quote:

To give
an Author to a text is to impose upon that text a stop clause, to furnish it with a final
signification, to close the writing. This conception perfectly suits criticism, which
can then take as its major task the discovery of the Author (or his hypostases: society,
history, the psyche, freedom) beneath the work: once the Author is discovered, the
text is “explained:’ the critic has conquered; hence it is scarcely surprising not only
that, historically, the reign of the Author should also have been that of the Critic, but
that criticism (even “new criticism”) should be overthrown along with the Author.

utter trash.

SMG pointed this out, but what Barthes is criticizing here is the idea that the truth of a text can objectively be found and end in an author's particular coordinate in society, history etc.. But this objective end is ideological, you are not actually perceiving the art through the author, but yourself through the author, and then the art. What he is trying to pinpoint is the center of the actualization process of art qua art that renders the raw data coherent.

The post you reference does not contradict this:
"The strongest form of anti-intentionalism you'll usually find is something like (and I'm being very reductive here) how one interprets a work irrespective of intentions is going to be what determines the best way to understand the intentions behind the work. So you kind of determine the meaning irrespective of intentions... but still need to make use of intentions to say that what you're talking about is "meaning."

What is important to recognize is that any intention you ascribe, where the rubber hits the road, will irreducibly be a negative unity that occurs in the reader. It does not mean that if I read Latin American literature then I cannot use my knowledge of Latin America to support my reading. What I cannot do is pretend if my knowledge of Latin America gives me an objective view of the work. This is important to consider because otherwise you may not notice perceived contradictions which are actually occurring in you.

Barthes posted:

We know now that a text is not a line of words releasing a single 'theological' meaning (the 'message' of the Author-God) but a multi-dimensional space in which a variety of writings, none of them original, blend and clash. The text is a tissue of quotations drawn from the innumerable centres of culture.

Thus is revealed the total existence of writing: a text is made of multiple writings, drawn from many cultures and entering into mutual relations of dialogue, parody, contestation, but there is one place where this multiplicity is focused and that place is the reader, not, as was hitherto said, the author. The reader is the space on which all the quotations that make up a writing are inscribed without any of them being lost; a text's unity lies not in its origin but in its destination.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 4, 2019

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

I said come in! posted:

George W. Bush is Vader, and Dick Cheney is Palpatine.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Palpatine is Trump. Vader is Steve Bannon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Slutitution posted:

George W. Bush is Vader, and Dick Cheney is Palpatine.

After just watching Vice the other week, I agree with this.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

having opinions about a movie makes you mentally ill? what a strange thing to say

Yeah that would be a strange thing to say

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

piratepilates posted:

as far as I can tell the movie would have been written and started shooting in the run up to the election. post production during the final days of the election, and through 9/11, and the movie being released in 2002, halfway through GWB's first term

they definitely parallel how people look back on GWB's presidency. I don't think george lucas intentionally writing it on that basis has a bearing on the similarity between them. I do wonder though if it was random coindence, or whether GWB had enough of an effect to influence the development of the movies.

its a weird trilogy that was created half in a pre-9/11 world and half in a post-9/11 world. the narrative of palpatine amassing power in response to a terrorist attack, and domestic fears out a brewing war, is set up in AOTC. written before 9/11 and GWB being elected, and being released right after. I wonder how AOTC and especially ROTS would have turned out differently if al gore had won, how would the text read differently in that parallel universe. I suppose that would basically be writing al gore-as-president fan fiction and slipping in star wars references.

George Lucas is smart as hell

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's hard to believe they would be stupid enough to have ken die and rey live. But I guess all else is debased before JJ's deep need to remake return of the jedi

Supposedly they also want to get away of the Skywalker legacy.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

piratepilates posted:

When Anakin says "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy", a lot of people at the time responded with "ugh, please keep politics out of the Star Wars movie", since GWB had recently told all nations on Earth that they are either with the US or they are with the terrorists.

But GWB's rise to presidency has little similarity to anything in the prequels. GWB won (well, theoretically) because he was a quintessentially 90s "Get a load of this Al Gore fella lmao" kind of guy that "you could have a beer with", and a born-again Christian that appealed to that particularly disastrous voting block. Not because he was going to deal with any particular problem.

His rise to power while in office mirrors a lot of events in the prequels, which is why people felt that particular quote was too on the nose, but this is coincidental. Ambitious people co-opting a crisis to grant themselves more power at the expense of freedom and democracy for everyone else keeps happening throughout history, which is what Lucas wanted to point out. That it happened again literally as he was writing the movies was probably an interesting experience for him though. His warnings came increasingly too late and were finally dismissed as "too political".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
George W. Bush is Trump.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
George W. Bush created Trump.

He is his father.

Trump's campaign would have been a disaster in the 90s.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s good to keep in mind that Attack Of The Clones is dealing in Starship Troopers references, and that film adaptation was 1997. The Geonosians also ‘come out of the goddamn walls’ as a reference to Aliens, from 1986. The terror wars aren’t the first big American misadventures, and the point of those films is that they won’t be the last - it keeps happening.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Iger has one of his quarterly calls with investors this afternoon, might get some Star Wars news in a few hours. Title release, maybe?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm hearing the teaser is 20 seconds of Oscar Isaac flexing his buns

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm hearing the teaser is 20 seconds of Oscar Isaac flexing his buns

They really should go full Zap Brannigan with him

but why commit to character

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Nothing Star Wars from Iger today that I've seen, the only semi-relevant thing was that they would still release R-rated Marvel movies after the Fox takeover.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That doesn't really seem relevant for Star wars discussion, unless they were planning an R-rated movie about Pig Fisto.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
The Benioff and Weiss movie series is going to be wild I tell you, wild.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Right, it’s because Lucas pulled from history that the the films are not constrained to being interpreted within the creator’s liberal ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Can't say I expected this to be the title of IX but I'm here for it

https://twitter.com/ILMxLAB/status/1093201279659040768