Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and those scenes just quickly made Alt one of my favorites here - he's got a nice spot, but he can't resist messing with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'd put it the other way around, personally; he may be a dick who gives off borderline villainous vibes, but the game makes sure to throw in scenes like him giving the old man powerful medicine pro bono every now and then to remind us he means well.

Anyway, recorded through the end of chapter 6; next up will be the Rank D exam, and then things will start to move really fast.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, that's a little more accurate,

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If you're dealing with stuff powerful enough to remake the world, there really is no good in lying to yourself about what you can do.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 6-6: The Legend Roars to Life

The reputation of our atelier has improved again. I think maybe we’re ready to take the next exam…

Well, what are we waiting for? Rank D awaits!

The twins step outside, when they see…

The Mature Professional

Here is the item you requested. I hope it is satisfactory.

:v: Yes, this is just what I needed! Thanks! Thank you! WOOHOO!!!

Looks like it was a job. She looked really mature there, too, didn’t she?

Yeah. She’s not like that when talking to us, but she’s formal and proper when she has to be.

Right then. Now my work’s finished. Time to head to the bar!

Going to a bar after work! Wow, that’s some more adult points right there!

You said it! The only question now is what will she order? Let’s follow!

Barkeep! Give me my usual!

Firis is incredible! I wonder what her “usual” is?

Wow, it looks delicious again today! Thank you!

What? S-Steak? And look how much!

I’m starving. Time to tuck in! Mmm… munch munch… Ah, so lovely! I’m so happy… I think my tongue might melt!

Ah, Firis, you’re so cute! I could watch you eat all day long!

Uwah, Liane! H-How long have you been here?

Heheh. Wherever you go, Firis, I’ll be there!

I’m not really sure what’s going on, but that’s some incredible confidence…

All down the hatch! That was delicious. Well, I think I need to get back. That was a great snack!

Maybe not. Eating that meat is how she avoids exhaustion, I bet!

Y-Yes, maybe! In which case, I guess Firis is mature after all!

Firis? Mature? For me she’ll always be a child though, I think… I guess she must be mature from your perspective, then. Hehe, I’m lucky to be her big sister!

Firis has acquired the skill “Very Healthy Body”.

Very Healthy Body - Increase resistance to ailments.

Psst… Lydie… I get that Liane would know Firis much better than we do and all, but…

Right? I think she wants to think of Firis as a child no matter what.

Yup… anyway, off to the castle for real!

Flowers for Merveille

What do you think? Do you want to try the next Promotion Test?

Please!

Very well. Time to announce the next exam! Here it comes, girls!

All this rain has made the flowers in the city wither. I’d like to liven them up, if we can. A nutritional treatment made using alchemy should do the job. Do you think you can make some?

Yes, no problem. We’ll pour our hearts into this one, to make sure the flowers bloom again!

Right! Anything for the garden… the crown jewel of our city!

The twins go home.

Alright! “Number and quality will affect evaluation…” So we should use the highest-quality ingredients we have!

And the Ruby letting us make extras will help us speed up the process! Even if I can’t wait for us to be D Rank… the flowers won’t be waiting on us forever!

Good thing we have all this high-quality Distilled Water. That’ll give us a lot of leeway even if our other ingredients aren’t perfect.

All we need to worry about is hitting the quantity and trait transfer spots… and!

You know, I don’t think Mireille will be satisfied with just two Special Nutrients…

We have more than enough ingredients that we can make more high-quality Special Nutrients!

Alright! Let’s go see Mireille for now, and if this isn’t enough to ace the exam, then we can come back here and synthesize some more…

An Evaluation, and…

:siren:Flower Stamp Condition:siren: : However many Special Nutrients it takes to fill the bar. I used four, but if one of my Nutrients had been higher-quality, I might have just needed three. So having high-quality Distilled Water in reserve will help a ton here, as does having a lot of Rubies to cut down on your synthesizing time.

Good, this should bring the flowers back to life. That means, twins, you’re going up to D Rank!

D Rank! Look at how far we’ve come! We’ve increased our rank quite a lot!

Yes! The pinnacle is in sight! We’ll be the greatest in the kingdom before we know it!

I’m sure you will. To celebrate, I’ve got a new Mysterious Painting all ready…

Kyaaaah! W-W-Was that lightning? Thunder? That one was really loud!

:moreevil: Uraaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

What was that? Ah, I’m scared, Sue!

Sister! This is bad!

Yes, I know. That cry… He’s awake, isn’t he?

Yes! He’s coming for Merveille, too! What should we do? Follow the plan?

Yes! Call in all the alchemists who can possibly help!

I’m on it!

Wow… I don’t think I’ve ever heard Mathias sound so serious and determined before…

Right? It’s almost more unnerving than that thunderbolt or that roar! Just what in the world is going on?

Twins. I’m sorry, but will you please wait here for just a little while?

Of course, but…

I’m sorry if this is upsetting. I will explain all of this once everyone gets here.

We understand. Lydie, let’s wait over there.

...Oh, I can see Lucia already!

Present. …So it’s come to this…

I’m here!

My father is synthesizing in our atelier. He said he’d better continue his preparations.

Ilmeria said the same. As soon as she got word, she started synthesizing at an amazing pace.

Good. I warned them both well ahead of time. What about the other alchemists, then?

Maybe they decided to run? All that noise, that shouting… Some are sure to lose their nerve.

Well, we can’t force them. This is a very dangerous situation. Okay. I’ll start by explaining to everyone here about what’s going on. Before that, though, let me ask. Do you know the Legend of the Thunder God?

The old tale about the rampaging god Falgior, sealed away by a hero and an alchemist?

That’s the one. As it turns out, the Legend of the Thunder God isn’t just a story. It’s fact. So…

That thunder, and those cries, were because Falgior has awoken?

Correct. The reason for all this rain has been because his awakening was drawing near. We suspected that Falgior was coming, but we didn’t expect him quite so soon.

What can we do, then? If the legend is true, he’ll destroy the city!

This has been our worry, too. But we’ve been taking steps. For example, the Atelier Ranking System. You alchemists are our key to defeating Falgior.

Of course! In the Legend of the Thunder God, Falgior was sealed away by an alchemist!

So maybe we can use alchemy to stop Falgior?

That was my idea, too. But this kingdom wasn’t really focused on alchemy before, so we have very few alchemists available. So we created the ranking system in order to attract more powerful alchemists to the city. With that…

Of course! I’ll do whatever I can to help you!

I want to investigate more paintings. I will lend you my aid, to make that happen.

Me too! I’ll show this so called god what Atelier Borthayre can do!

We’ll help too! We can’t be the greatest if there’s no kingdom left! Not to mention…

We’ll do our best, too! Let’s kick this Falgior black and blue!

Thank you, all of you, for your bravery and resolve. Now then, I have to go and work out our strategy. We’ll need to compensate for our numbers. Can you all just wait here a little longer?

Can do!

We’ll be looking forward to what you’re planning.

Hmm, what should we do? A bit strange, with all this going on, but we’ve got some free time. For as long as Mireille is strategizing, anyway.

I know. Let’s talk to the others. They’ll have thoughts on what’s going on, and how to tackle this crisis.

Music: A Town Shrouded in Shadow

Lucia seems to want a word!

Hehe, I knew I could count on you, Sue! Kick him black and blue, was it? A Thunder God?

I don’t care what he’s god of, there are legends about him! He must be a crusty old grandpa by now! Hehe, our youthful power won’t be defeated by some old lightning coot!

Hold on, Sue. We don’t even know what he looks like!

Hahaha! You’re right! We’re young and strong! Youth is a source of great strength. Being young means you still have so much potential to grow. The two of you have grown so much already. We have lots of great alchemists here, too. If we all work together, we can defeat even this Thunder God! Right?

You said it! Hehe, let’s do our best, Lucia!

Firis really seems lost in thought over there…

Good question. Hmm… We have a custom around here. When you hear thunder, you cover your belly button.

That stops it from being taken away. Which means, what? Lightning likes belly buttons?

Hmm. So maybe Falgior likes them too?

Ah, that’s it! We’ll all go out wearing clothing exposing our belly buttons, throwing him off guard!

Great idea! We need to get changed into some crop tops, quickly!

I’ve got just the thing! Haha, you’ll dazzle him with your tummies! That’s the only way!

Dazzling tummies, is it. I wonder if mine would have any effect?

Ah, right! We still oughta get Alt’s input. He really seemed to know something was going on!

Alt! Huh, what’s with that scowl of yours?

What? Alt? You knew about Falgior?

Of course. Surely anyone who knows the legend would draw the same conclusion? I gave you a warning, did I not? That some parts of the future can’t be changed?

Neither of us understood that mumbo jumbo! If you knew something, you should have just said it!

Even if you had known the future, you wouldn’t have been able to prevent Falgior from reviving. What matters now is, how do we defeat Falgior? That’s what we need to be concentrating on.

Right… nothing could have stopped Falgior’s revival… so what matters is what we all do next.

We need to plan a step ahead, for the fate of the city lies in our hands. So… Lydie, Sue. I’m counting on you.

I know! We’ll be counting on you, too!

Girls! Looks like Mireille’s coming out!

Mireille’s Counterattack

Ah, Mireille! Just what do we have to do?

It’s all pretty simple, actually. I’m splitting our alchemists into two groups.

Those two, and our knights, will hold Falgior back and cause whatever damage they can.

It’s going to be rough, what with these numbers, but I think it’s also our best chance. The success of this operation will rely on you, Group Two, and your teamwork. Just think of this as another investigation, and go teach this Falgior a lesson!

We will!

Right. I’ll send Group One into the field. You get ready while that happens. Once you are ready, just let me know. Don’t drag your feet!

Right! Sue, let’s go home and prepare…

Let’s! Everything we’ve ever known and loved is on the line here…

The Twins’ Resolve

What! Dad, you know what’s going on, right?

We’ll take a trip another time. There’s something we have to do.

Go and fight the Thunder God, right? Lucia’s father told me about it. You two don’t have to be a part of that. There are plenty of others who can handle it.

No, there aren’t. We live here. If we run off, how could we ever face the ones who stay and fight?

Don’t worry about us, Dad! We’ll defeat this Thunder God with a single blow!

Really, you-

Right! We don’t have time for this, we have to get ready! What do we need?

Hmm, dunno if we need to do any last minute synthesizing…

Huh? Did you hear Dad, Sue?

Meh… don’t think so. Anyway!

We can swap out the Bomb for something else, since the Ori Bomb makes it obsolete.

I don’t know what that means, but I do know we don’t need a plain old Bomb anymore! And the Mining Bomb is useless in combat, so we can swap that out too!

So… that’ll be another high-quality Ice Bomb, and some Strength Meat we made ourselves.

Right then, off we go!

The twins return to the castle.

The Twins Sortie

Good. Let’s wait for everyone else.

After everyone reports…

Right, that’s everyone. In which case…

Roger that! Group Two, time to go! I’m counting on all of you!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 12, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Damnit, deadbeat dad DX. If we lose a nameless NPC because of something you didn't tell us I will be very cross.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I'll just say straight up that the game never gives you a body count for group one

Though ofc itt feel free to debate the tactical soundness of having a gaggle of teenagers plus one licensed alchemist execute an operation to defeat a thunder god so fearsome that hundreds of years after his initial defeat parents still use his name to scare errant children into behaving

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'll just say straight up that the game never gives you a body count for group one

Though ofc itt feel free to debate the tactical soundness of having a gaggle of teenagers plus one licensed alchemist execute an operation to defeat a thunder god so fearsome that hundreds of years after his initial defeat parents still use his name to scare errant children into behaving

Given that the authorities are clearly ok with said teenagers creating high-grade explosives in their living rooms, this society is rather casual about potential city destroying dangers

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Fair, though given much of the top brass of Adalet were like "what is an alchemy" like, six months ago in game time, who knows if they knew what they were bargaining for starting the ranking system

Also the channel I originally used to link soundtracks from for the LP just got nuked so I had to go back and replace em; if any of you see a broken link then just tell me when and where

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 6-7: Despair and Hope

The reports said that Falgior appeared at Braisewest.

That makes sense. The folklore about how lightning storms turned it into a barren wasteland… it all seems so obvious in hindsight.

We haven’t a moment to lose! It’ll take us about a day to get out there, and Group One is doing all they can to keep Falgior in check!

Right! We mustn’t keep them waiting!

Uwah! Was that Falgior?

H-He’s getting pretty close. The pressure is really piling on!

We can’t let this defeat us! Hurry onward, everyone!

Those ruins…

What matters is that we don’t let Falgior turn OUR Merveille into that eyesore! Anyway! I don’t see any sign of him yet… so he’s gotta be in the deepest depths of Braisewest. At the Scorched Cave.

The Thunder God of Yore

Okay! This is our moment of truth!

Nngh…

Up ahead! That’s…!

Finally! You took your time getting here!

Sorry, Ilmeria! Is that Falgior?

Ilmeria! Where’s my father?

He got hit by an attack. Nothing life-threatening, but he’s out of the game for now. Nngh…!

Ilmeria, what about you? Uwah, you’re covered in injuries!

I’ve done absolutely everything I could. You take it from here, Lydie, Sue!

Leave it to us! We’ll defeat him, no worry!

You said it! Come on, Sue!

I won’t let you get away with this, humans!

Gah!

This can’t be…

Alt! …I guess it’s up to me now!

What the?!

Mathias?! Ahem, leave this to your big sister, girls!

Grr… time for a little payback!

How’s-

That’s just not fair…

Sue?!

Here I go!

Let’s see how this Luft works…

Well, worth a shot!

That really wasn’t much…! What is this Thunder God even made of?!

Lydie! Keep it toge-

Owwwwwww!

Ahh! Lydie! Get ba-

Firis! …Ahh!!

Uwah! You’re kidding? This can’t be… this can’t be real!

Uwah! We can’t win. He’s just too strong!

Pathetic, feeble, weak little humans. You will regret crossing me!

Ah, this can’t be happening! Run! Both of you, run for it!

Hahaha… I can’t even move. I think we got a little carried away?

Do you think we’ll see Mom again? Dad… I’m sorry…

Die.

Stop! Noooooooooooooooo!

…I don’t think so.

Huh?!

I agree, but we also can’t allow his rampage to continue.

Ah… Ohhhhhh!

Oh…? Are we still alive?

How? Falgior killed us, surely…

Hehe, you’re both fine. Plachta, take care of these two, please!

Very well. You two, come this way. Sophie, what about you?

I’m going to hit that god again!

Guwah! Not bad, for a human. You remind me of the abominable Neige… Bah!

No way! He vanished? We can’t let him get aw… owwwwww!

Further pursuit would be too dangerous. First, we need to rally and regroup.

Plachta is right. Let’s at least patch up the wounded.

Music: Let’s Try It! (Lydie & Suelle Ver.)

What just happened? I was hurting all over… and now suddenly I’m feeling better?

This is like a dream! What are you, some kind of wizard?

No. Just an alchemist, nothing more.

Miss Sophie, thank you for saving us. But what are you doing here? How did you know…?

Hahaha, we bumped into Liane as soon as we reached town. And then we rushed over here. Anyway, we sure could use a better place to talk, Firis. Care to lead the way? Falgior needs to be taken care of. We have to think, together, about what we can do.

Of course, follow me! Everyone, let’s go back to the castle!

Back at the castle…

Falgior… He was far stronger than we anticipated.

I know. We hardly scratched him…

Isn’t that cheating? There’s no way we can…

Defeat, Debrief and Deeds

…In any case, who are you two?

Ah, sorry for not introducing myself sooner. I am Sophie Neuenmuller.

And I am Plachta. I am traveling with Sophie.

Both Miss Sophie and Plachta are exceptionally skilled alchemists! If we’ve got these two on our side, we may even be able to defeat Falgior…

I see. Sophie, Plachta, I’m sorry to ask so soon after meeting you… But our entire kingdom is in dire peril. Will you please lend us your strength?

We’ve heard about it from Firis. Plachta and I will both do all we can to help you.

Thank you so much! We need to discuss our next move, right away…

Looks like we’ve been left out…

It doesn’t matter… Talking about it won’t help them defeat that monster. We fought as hard as we could and still couldn’t touch it. What can we hope to do?

Sue…

The problem, then, is Falgior’s toughness. We hit him with everything we’ve got…

But caused close to no damage… If only we could weaken him somehow.

Weaken, weaken… nothing immediately comes to mind.

Me neither. I can’t think of a method that will work.

Let’s take a break. You came here straight after the fight, after all. Luckily, Falgior hasn’t reappeared. So let’s take a break for a while and sort our heads out.

A good idea. Sophie, what are you going to do? I would like to take a walk outside.

Please go ahead. I’m going to think here for a bit longer.

Very well. Don’t push yourself too hard. …Firis, can you show me the way?

Ah, of course!

Phew. Shall we go back to the atelier? We aren’t doing any good here.

I… I want to talk to her, first.

Eh…? Sue?

She showed up out of nowhere, saved us all, and now she’s gonna give her all fighting Falgior… I don’t get it! I need her to tell me why!

Hmm… How about this, then? No, that won’t work. In which case… What about this?

Excuse me… Sophie?

Yes? Ah, Sue, is it? What can I help you with?

I’m just going to come right out with it. How can you fight so hard?

Sorry? What do you mean?

You saw how strong Falgior is. Even you might not be able to defeat him… You only just arrived in Merveille, too. What does this place mean to you? Yet you’re trying so hard, offering to lend your strength so quickly… I can’t understand it.

I’d like to know that too. You’ve seen Falgior. You can you even consider fighting him again?

I see. My answer is simple. Because I believe that alchemy is something to be used for everyone’s sake.

Something for everyone’s sake?

Yes. Something for the sake of all. Something to be used for the good of everyone. Even if I don’t know them, if I see people in trouble, I want to help them. I also believe in alchemy. That it can be used to overcome any problem, any danger, any threat. So it doesn’t matter how strong Falgior is. For the sake of all, I’ll never give up. …That’s all.

Ugh…! Lydie…!

I know, Sue! Me too!

I don’t know what was wrong with me. Acting so scared!

Back there, I was frozen with fear. Ready to accept my fate, broken in body and spirit… but now, I know what I must do! And I won’t falter!

We’ll help think of how to beat Falgior! Alchemy is something for everyone! We have to help defend everyone living in this city!

Sophie, thank you so much! You’ve really been a huge help!

I feel braver! I don’t know how else to say it. We’ll do our best too, right alongside you!

Hehe, I’m glad to hear it. I’ll be counting on both of you.

Where do we even begin? Hmm… let’s start with the old folk tale. The Legend of the Thunder God…

How exactly did they defeat Falgior again?

They sealed him in a… oh!!

You know what? I think we’ve got something!

Two hours later…

Hahaha, I don’t think we need to! Right, girls?

That’s right! We’ve come up with an idea that may help us defeat Falgior!

What? Really? Don’t keep us in suspense, twins!

We’ll use the power of the Mysterious Paintings to defeat Falgior!

The legend states that Falgior was sealed in a painting. So maybe they are his weakness?

That sounds possible. It’s one of the reasons we’ve been collecting Mysterious Paintings. But you haven’t found anything that might help defeat him yet, have you?

Even if that’s the case, we might find something in the ones we haven’t visited!

Right! We can’t give up before we even try. You’ve obtained a new painting, right?

We have indee-

Mireille, please! Show us the next Mysterious Painting!

Wow. The two of you recovered quickly! Miss Sophie, what did you do?

Hehe, I wonder?

Very well. Even if there’s only a small possibility, we have to try. Everyone, please come to the gallery. I’ll show you the next Mysterious Painting.

The gallery…

Miss Sophie! Plachta! This way!

The First Mysterious Painting

Wow, what a detailed painting! Is this a Mysterious Painting?

Yes. It is called “The Frozen Palace”, and it was painted by Neige Chintreuil. The first alchemist to ever paint a Mysterious Painting, and the one who sealed Falgior away. What’s more, this is the very first Mysterious Painting she created. In other words, the first one ever.

Wow! This is an incredible painting, then! The key to defeating Falgior will surely be inside!

Indeed. The perfect painting to entrust our fate to. We have to hurry and Restore it.

What! We still aren’t ready. What should we do…?

Plachta and I will keep Falgior occupied. We’ll buy you as much time as we can to find the key to defeating Falgior.

What? Are you sure? That’s going to be really dangerous!

Don’t worry, we aren’t going to fight him head on. We’ll just try to keep him busy.

That’s the plan, then. Lydie, Sue, we’ll leave this in your hands!

Okay!

Right, Plachta, let’s go! Il, where are we headed?

Follow me! I’ll help you keep him occupied! You do your best too, girls! Bye-bye!

…Right! We can’t keep them waiting for too long. Hurry and make the items for the Restoration!

Toward Their Last Hope

No, not yet. But we aren’t giving up!

For the sake of everyone living in Merveille, we can’t afford to give up!

Come on, Sue! We need to get synthesizing! We need to get into the world of that painting at once!

I’m with you! Leave this to superhero Sue!

Girls…

All we need is water, fuel, oil and hidden power…

And we’ve done it! Let’s round up the gang and get in there!

Finally, at the gallery…

Right, the Restoration is complete. Come on, everyone! Hurry!

I’m ready! We have to find the key to defeating Falgior!

How can they be so cheerful? They practically dragged me here from my atelier…

I agree. Let’s just pray some real hope lies ahead.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 6-8: Arts of Ancient Times

A Cold Reception in the Frozen Palace

Music: Frosty Dream -Lydie-

This is “The Frozen Palace”? The first of the Mysterious Paintings…

“Frozen” seems like a good name. There’s ice everywhere! Make sure you don’t slip.

No need to make sure of anything.

Look, a girl!

Great! Someone like Fuoco who we can actually talk to. But what do you mean, no need?

You’re leaving at once, that’s why. There’s no need for you to go one step further.

This is my palace. Intruders are not welcome. Go away!

Well, this is a good excuse to finally use this!

Whoa! I almost thought I’d blow the whole room to smithereens…

Aaaaand that’s a wrap!

My monsters lost? To you? Just who are you?

Heheh. I’m Sue, and this is Lydie. We’re alchemists. We’re here to find the key to defeating Falgior. We can’t leave until we do that.

I see. He’s woken up again? That has nothing to do with me, though. I just want to live here, quietly, all on my own. If you won’t leave on your own, I’ll just have to make you.

And she vanished… Sue… she seemed to know about Falgior.

I noticed. Fuoco didn’t know anything about the world outside her painting.

This painting really does seem different from the others. We should proceed with care!

Look at that fountain! It’s completely frozen! Even in the Luminous Ice Grotto, you’d still have flowing water…

This world isn’t just frozen in the sense that it’s bone-chilling. It’s like everything around us is frozen in time. Anyway, how do we proceed?

Nowhere to go but this huge staircase…

Bingo. Here’s our way forward.

What’s with that statue? It’s heavily damaged and should be crumbling, but somehow isn’t…

The Girl Unveiled

This is the deepest room in this library. So maybe there’s something important hidden in these shelves.

You still won’t leave? I’ll set my monsters on you again!

We already told you. We need to find the key to defeating Falgior. Come on. If you know anything, just share it with us. Then we’ll leave.

Hah! I’m not telling you a thing. I don’t care about the world outside.

And she vanished again… It sounds like she definitely knows something.

This? It’s a diary I found on a shelf. I don’t know whose it is…

Aha! So this is yours? Let’s find out what your name is!

No! Stop! I’m telling you to stop!

Uwah! Sue, you don’t hold back do you!

Haha! Anyway! This girl’s name is… Hold on? Neige? That’s the name of the alchemist who created this painting!

Grr… I’m angry now! Raging mad! You get out of here, you morons! OUT!

Look on the bright side! Fire and physical attacks will crumple these flowers quick and easy!

Bah! I don’t care anymore! You’re going to suffer in here, you’ll see!

She’s gone. Let’s read some more!

You don’t really care about things like tact, do you?

Bleeh! Tact won’t get us anywhere. …Hmm? Hey, there’s something in here…

“At the beginning, I thought being alone was nice. But spending my eternity all alone, is so boring.
But this is what I wanted. I shall remain alone, until my consciousness finally fades.”

She’s been alone all this time… That must have been so hard on her…

Then why does she want us to leave?

Right? I’ve got an idea! Why don’t we all become friends with Neige?

Friends…?

I think Neige is just lonely, and sad. That’s why she won’t talk to us. So why don’t we become her friends? Leaving her alone like this is so sad…

Hehe, I’d expect no less from you, Lydie. I think it’s a pretty good idea. It might seem a little calculating, but maybe then she’ll tell us about Falgior?

You just have to see things negatively, don’t you Lucia! We’re going to actually be her friends, right?

I don’t want to be lectured by you!

Hahaha! I agree too. There’s nothing wrong with having plenty of friends, right?

Everyone! Thank you!

Right! Let’s set out to become friends with Neige!

Hey! This door wasn’t here before!

Mmm! Even though Neige says she wants us out, it’s like her world is opening up for us. Letting us deeper inside. That’s a good sign!

What a large ballroom! Neige has a stage, and all these tables and couches… but no one to share it with. That’s kinda sad…

The Teddy Bear and Growing Pains

What is this? A play room? Hey, there’s something on the floor.

“I wish I could have remained a child. Then I wouldn’t have to feel this way…”

Were those Neige’s thoughts? She wishes she could have remained a child?

For starters, seeing Neige as a child in here sure is strange. There are plenty of records of her death. She hated other people, choosing to live in seclusion, where she died quietly, all alone.

Which means, while she knows about the outside world, this isn’t the real Neige in here?

Gah, this is all getting too confusing for me! Can we just stop thinking about all the scary stuff? Anyway, speaking of things we can do for Neige… Let’s use alchemy to fix this bear. It must belong to Neige, right?

Yes. It looks important to her, too. I know we don’t have much time, but…

I think we’ve got plenty of time. Sophie and the others can hold out for a while, surely. And whilst they keep Falgior at bay… We need information on Neige, above all else. We have to look at the bigger picture.

To put it more simply, if we repair the bear, it will make Neige happy?

That is what I said. I’ve spoken in this manner all my life, don’t mind me.

Hahaha, thank you. Let’s hurry up and fix it, then! So back to the atelier for now…

Torn Teddy Bear obtained.

How hard can it be to patch up a teddy bear? All we need is some cotton, some thread, and cloth, and…

Voila! Now let’s see if Neige appreciates this…

Gesture

Music: Frosty Dream -Suelle-

There we go. Neige! We’ve repaired your teddy bear for you.

Hahaha, sorry if we overstepped. We thought it was important to you, that’s all. …Say, Neige. Do you think we could become friends?

We want to talk with you. I’m sure you’ll have a lot more fun with us than you will all alone!

Friends? No. You’ll just betray me, like all the others. Leave me alone.

Oh, Neige! Don’t leave us… again…

Like all the others, she said. That says a lot about her past.

Alt! Not to me it doesn’t! Come on, share your insights!

You’ll come to understand it one day. One day…

Brought to the Table

Thanks for the mumbo jumb- Oh, hey, another door just up and popped up!

“Sometimes, I wish I could have a friend to share a meal with… No. I can’t give in to such thinking. I do not need friends. Humans will only betray me again. I have already made my decision.”

Another one of Neige’s thoughts… The voice sounds a little older, too.

You’re right. But she’s saying almost the same thing… She doesn’t want friends because they betray her. That’s how she truly feels about other people.

But she still has doubts… I’m sure that deep down she really does want friends! We can’t…

We’re not going to give up, Lydie. We have to see this plan through to the end…

Sure, but how? If Neige won’t open up to us…

Heheh. I’ve had an idea! How about we all eat a meal together? If I eat a meal with someone, I’ll consider them friends. What do you think?

A meal? That might work. The older Neige said something similar.

Alright! Food, then. We need some food…

Good one! You can’t ever go wrong with meat!

Neige! Come on out! Let’s eat together!

You don’t? But look at how delicious it all looks! Come on! …Oh? That sure sounded like your tummy roaring to me…

Uh…

Hahaha! It sounds like you might be a little hungry, Neige? It will taste great if we all eat it together.

Fine. Just a little, though. No more. Hmm… Munch munch… …Thank you.

Hahaha, you were really hungry! I’ve never seen anyone eat so fast.

T-That was normal speed, thank you! But it did taste better than I expected.

Hahaha, glad to hear it. We hoped you’d like it.

Now that we’ve eaten together, that makes us friends!

What? How does that work? I think you’re skipping a few steps there!

Ah, you’ve made Lydie cry. Neige, that wasn’t very nice of you…

What? This is my fault? I don’t understand this! You know what? Forget it! I’m not going to be your friends, ever!

Ahh… Neige…

Hmm, we just need one more push.

Yes, we’re close. One more encounter should do it.

Hehe, Neige said she’s never going to be friends with us, but she’s opened up another door for us! I bet this is the heart of her painting world!

The Ancient Arts

This is the biggest room in here. Surely-

You dare come to my room? After I told you to leave so many times…

Heheh. Lydie is pretty stubborn. She always sees things through, once she’s made up her mind. And she really wants to become friends with you, Neige. I think you should just give up and accept it.

Hah! Fine. I’ll become friends with you. I can’t keep this up any longer… But I have one condition. You have to guess what it is that I want to do.

I’m sorry? What do you mean by “want to do”?

What game I want to play! A true friend knows what games their friends want to play, right? If you guess wrong, you’d better be ready for the consequences. Talk to me again when you’re ready.

You know, Lydie… this is Neige.

Same as… it can’t just be a coincidence. In which case, the answer is obvious. …Neige! We’re ready!

I know what you want to do, Neige. Paint!

You created the Mysterious Paintings, after all! You love to paint, right?

Yes, that’s right. I want to paint together with someone. I’ve always wanted to paint with a friend…

Hehehe. You know what, Neige? Our dad is an artist!

That doesn’t mean we’re good at painting, of course, but we’d love to paint with you.

Are you sure? You’re not just saying that? You really do want to be my friends?

Of course! We’d never lie about something like this. We won’t betray you, either. I want to get to know you better, Neige. Please, will you be our friend?

…Okay! Please, will you come to the room in the back with me? I’ve got everything we need for drawing and painting back there. Let’s… draw together?

Hahaha, let’s get started right away. We’ll have a drawing competition!

Gladly. We may be… friends… but there’s no way I’ll lose to anyone when it comes to drawing.

Totally different from our efforts! I’m stunned, after even just a glance!

Hehe, thank you for your kind words. I’ve been at this for 300 years, after all.

300 years?! What do you mean?!

Fragment of a soul? Since she died? I think I’m getting dizzy…

Once you get involved with a Mysterious Painting, you might say it… liberates your soul. Parts of the souls of people who have entered a painting sometimes remain in it after they have died… That’s what “soul fragments” are. They hold people’s memories from before their deaths. They’re kind of like ghosts, I guess.

A g-ghost?! So you’ve been a ghost all along?!

That’s just an example. A comparison. I’m not a real ghost. It’s more like, a part of me lives on in this painting. But because I wished to remain a child, I’ve been stuck in a child’s body.

W-Wow… these Mysterious Paintings really are complex!

Hehe. I guess you can thank me for that. …I have the information that you desire, too.

You mean… the key to defeating Falgior?

Yes. His weakness is in the Mysterious Paintings, as they are comprised of pure human feelings. Falgior can’t use his powers in the painting world. That’s why I’m giving this to you.

Yes. The Rainbow Palette. Although broken, it can materialize the power of the Mysterious Paintings in the real world. As well as the Palette, you’ll also need these Color Fragments in order to use the Mysterious Paintings’ power.

You’ve been to other worlds? These Color Fragments are the crystallization of the artist’s feelings. Focus on the Palette and the Color Fragments and the Painting World will materialize in the real world. That should greatly weaken Falgior. The Color Fragments from the world are yours, too.

Broken Palette and Ancient Frost Fragments received.

Thank you, Neige! We’ll make good use of them.

I’m sure you will. I barely managed to seal him away, but you can surely… Ah, anyway, good luck. You can’t lose to that noisy windbag!

Thanks! We’re going to defeat him, don’t worry!

See you again, Neige! We’ll be back, don’t worry!

Black Paint? What’s the deal with that?

Lydie. We don’t have any more time. We need to get back to see how the others are doing.

Yes, of course. We’d better get moving.

Sis, what’s happening out there?

A stalemate, I guess you would call it. Did you find the key to defeating Falgior?

Yes, we got it! But we need to fix it using alchemy first.

I see. Then you’d better go and get it done. Everyone else, make your own preparations. Heheh! Once the repairs are complete, let’s go and get some revenge on Falgior!

Lydie has acquired the skill “Nature’s Protection”.

Nature’s Protection - Reduce elemental damage inflicted against you.

Prelude to the Showdown

Hey, Sue. Neige went out of her way to warn us about “The Black Paint”… but why?

If we keep investigating Mysterious Paintings, I’m sure we’ll find out eventually. Anyway, for now we should focus on the threat we’re facing right now!

Good. That completes the repairs of the Rainbow Palette. Now we can even take down Falgior!

You said it! Quick, back to the castle. Everyone is waiting for us!

Sophie! What’s happening with Falgior?

Don’t worry, I just ran out of items. Plachta and Ilmeria are holding him back for now. But I don’t think they can last that much longer. We need to put an end to this quickly.

Say no more! We’ve repaired the item we need to finish this!

Great! I’ll go with you, then. I’ve already filled back up on items!

Great! There’s nothing we can’t do with you along, Sophie!

Right! Just you wait, Falgior! Everyone, come on!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 12, 2019

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Did Honette paint that painting in the basement and the twins' dad is trying to reconnect with that little bit of her soul? :smith:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Short answer no, but Neige's circumstances definitely should raise questions about the Malen family's history and the painting in the basement.

But for now, the twins have to focus on the immediate threat; family history can wait.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 21, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 6-9: Revenge of the Twins

Interlude: Extra Mix

What’s the deal, staring at that Anima? …No! You’ve been thinking about how it looks like sweet candy…

No, Sue, I’m not you. I’m just wondering if there’s another way we could use this too.

I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that attack on my good name. Other way, like what?

What I’m thinking about right now is enhancing other items.

Like, we can use Anima to make our bombs even more destructive, or to make our medicine more restorative. Maybe we can even activate extra effects if we use enough Anima! …But the way I’m going about it, it’d probably use up said bomb or medicine all in one go.

I see. That sounds like a good idea! Like, we’re truly reaching the secret arts of alchemy!

I know, right? I think it will work.

Of course it will! Promise with Mom Number 5! “Don’t worry - just do it!” You need to be willing to give things a try, without worrying about messing up.

Right! I just hope it turns out as incredible as I’m expecting!

That was worth coming home to go over! But we’ve kept Ilmeria and… Plachta? Waiting long enough. Let’s go!

Right! This time, we’ll have our revenge!

Throwdown with the Thunder God

We’ve been waiting for you! Is everything ready?

Yes! We’re not going to lose this time!

I like your confidence. This sounds promising.

It is. Plachta, Ilmeria, you can fall back. We’ll handle it from here.

Very well. You’ve got it this time, girls! Don’t worry!

You again! Any attempt to stop me will be futile. This time… I’ll send you straight to hell!

No. I don’t think you will! In fact, we’re going to defeat you!

This is it, girls. Are you ready?

Phew. This is it. It’s painting time, Lydie!

Right here with you, Sue!

Music: Beyond the fate - Hiromi Kajiwara

Puny humans. This time, I will destroy you.

We won’t let you!

We’ve got something for you, after all!

What?! You insolent…

Alright! Thank you, Neige… Thanks to you, we can take him!

Still, though… better safe than sorry!

You said it, Sue!

Alt! Give Sophie some of that Strength Meat…

Wait, Sophie…? Okay.

My turn!

Now to see if my theory about traits and Battle Mix recipes was right…

Bingo!

Ahh, it didn’t do that much! Maybe the Distilled Water has to be much higher quality, or we need stronger use-boosting traits…

Ooh, Sue! Use that Luft!

Hehe, sure thing!

Hehe… Fly with the wind!

Aaaargh!

Alt! Hope this helps!

Thanks… but just for assurance…

Now let’s try out an Extra Mix!

We have all these high-quality Ice Bombs on hand… and I can’t think of a better time to use them than now!

30 Anima should be enough… now!

That was something! Now if only we had more Anima to throw around…

This won’t be as flashy as an Extra Mix, but it’ll still work!

Your turn, Firis!

Freeeeeeeeeze!

Here we go!

…Now, then. Lydie.

Right! Another Ice Bomb, and another 30 Anima…

Whoa!!

...The Pure Aroma weakened Falgior’s resistance to fire… so the Ori Bomb should hit him with full force now!

Hehe, burn!!

Eat this!

…Now, then…

Lydie!

Only 37 Anima left… might as well go for broke with this one!

Hah!

Nngh!

Ugh…

Heh… the end is in sight!

Let’s finish this!

Graaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Yes! We did it! We defeated Falgior!

That’s right! We did it! He was so strong, but we defeated him! Sue!

Of course it does, after defeating such a powerful foe. I haven’t had this much exercise in ages.

Heheh, we did it, Miss Sophie! Somehow, it all worked out!

I saw it. He was really strong! Without those two girls, I don’t think we could have done it.

Right? They picked themselves back up after that initial crushing defeat. After that, they didn’t rest until they finally found the key to defeating Falgior! They went above and beyond to save their homeland. It’s inspirational…

I don’t know about that! They’re far better than I was at their age, surely! …Hehe, both of you. Well done.

Right. Sue, I think we’d better…

Right, Lydie! Time to get back home!

The party makes the day-long trek back to Merveille… and find…

Could that be…?

The Twins Triumphant

Music: Prism - Mami Yanagi

Fireworks! And they’re for us!!

Sophie! Firis! Hurry up already!

Haha! You don’t have to tell us twice!

Right! There are those near and dear to our hearts here now. Those who’ve been patiently awaiting our return.

We mustn’t keep them waiting!

Ah, girls! Brilliantly done!

Hagel! The armor and weapons you made us really made a huge difference against Falgior!

Glad to hear it! Drop in anytime - it’s the least I can do for the heroes of the city!

Heroes…

We’re truly blessed, that our fate was in your hands. Lydie, Sue… thank you.

Indeed. I’m so proud of you two! Bask in the accolades - you’ve earned every second of it!

Hear hear! Hehe… I’ve seen you two come so far in such a short amount of time. And now you’ve sealed the Thunder God away and saved us all.

Hehe… oh, Firis! Liane!

Hey! Wait!

Haha! And off they go…

I was about to say… it’s been a privilege to see them grow myself. To help them become the alchemists they are today. But this isn’t it for them. They’ve so much potential, and they can go so much further… so it’s my duty as their mentor to keep them on the right path.

Ahh, Lydie! Sue!

Again, you were amazing out there!

I’m sure you two were! …But not as much as Firis here…

Uhh…

Hahaha… thanks… anyway, catch you later!

Sophie!

Thank you again, Sophie!

We - uwaaaaah!

Hahaha! Looks like they’ve drawn a crowd of grateful townsfolk.

Hehe. The two of them show such promise… I’ll certainly be looking forward to watching them grow as alchemists. Anyway, Sophie… it’s about time we settled down.

Right! Firis already has beds for us in her tent. Looks like we’ll be staying here in Merveille for a good while… and maybe here, we’ll find the answers we’ve been looking for.

Very well. I’ll hold you to those words, Sophie.

Okay… we’ve finally gotten some alone time. Lydie!

Sue?

Let’s go for a little run!

Eh? …Oh… you know…

Right?! It feels so GOOD to just let it all out! We’ve been working nonstop to make Mysterious Paints, investigate the Frozen Palace, repair the Dream Palette… and then travel to Braisewest, put down Falgior, and finally come home!

Yes! It does! But…

Yeah… who knew being so popular would be so exhausting? Talk to you later… Lydie…

You too… Sue…

That afternoon, at the Sea-View Hill…

Phew. That was fun!

Yep. I’m so happy right now.

Me too. I’m so glad that we managed to defeat Falgior.

That goes double for me! We defended Merveille. It’s our home, after all.

Hey, you two. You’re too young to be getting all misty-eyed!

Ah, Ilmeria! Firis! And Sophie, too! What are you all doing here?

Hahaha, we didn’t have much time to talk after defeating Falgior.

With good reason. The two of you were surrounded by people the entire time! “Heroes of the city!” people were shouting. You looked pretty happy about it too!

H-Hahaha, we haven’t really experienced praise on that level before.

Everyone was saying “Well done” and “Thank you”! It was pretty overwhelming. To be honest, it made me super happy! Haha!

All deserved! You both worked really hard for it.

We can’t take all the credit. It’s thanks to you that we did all this, Sophie.

That’s right. You’re the one who told us that alchemy can overcome any hardship!

The power of alchemy is meant to help people. That’s what let us push through and achieve all this.

Oh, you told them all that? Well done, Miss Sophie! So wise!

H-Hey, that sounds a bit like you’re mocking me! A-Anyway! Girls, make sure you remember what you just said to me. Feeling happy about the gratitude of others. You should treasure that feeling.

We will!

Right! Let’s go and get some food! I’ve found a really delicious place!

Of course you have, Firis. When it comes to dining, no one moves faster than you.

Hahaha! Right. As the oldest one here, I’ll treat you all! You can all eat as much as you like! A suitable reward for fighting so hard.

Yes! Thank you, Sophie!

I’m going to get completely stuffed! I hope your wallet can handle it!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Chapter 6 debrief

So, yeah. A lot of things happened in the last four updates of the chapter. A thunder god from 300 years ago reappeared, the twins nearly got turned to paste fighting him the first time around (and would have been if Sophie had been even a second later), and then they investigated the first Mysterious Painting, won the trust of the recalcitrant alchemist therein and gained the key to defeat Falgior, and then in the rematch, they emerged victorious. And now they’re revered as heroes.

Anyway, speaking of Sophie, her joining means I have seven party members… but I still only have six slots for battle formations!

In this screen, Alt, Sue and Mathias are listed as attackers while Lydie, Firis and Lucia are listed as supporters, and Sophie isn’t listed as either (yet). But…

I just put Lucia in reserve (gotta have cutscene canon for the climactic Falgior fight, after all); she’s still tagging along with the rest of the party in the field, and I can change my formation to have her fight instead of any of the OG six at will. She even gains EXP for battles she’s not actually participating in! But of course, this info is only relevant if you bought a DLC character.

Anyway, ambitions!

Also for the first time since Chapter 1, we have new CGs! Posting in the order they appear:

CGs
Warm Shadow 1
Manly Smithy
Meat Lover
Protected
Protected (Part 1)
Protected (Part 2)
Protected (Part 3)

Character Art/3D Models
Sophie OA (NOCO)
Sophie 3D Model
Plachta OA (Yuugen)
Neige OA (?)
I actually can’t tell who drew Neige! She’s got kind of glimmery eyes but nowhere near those of most characters easily recognizable as Yuugen characters (Lydie, Firis, Alt) and she’s also kind of got a bit of a blush like NOCO’s girls (Sue, Sophie, Corneria). It doesn’t say who drew her on the official Koei Tecmo website either.

Location Notes and Memos:
Mysterious Painting:

This world contains a very large palace. Something must’ve happened to freeze everything in a coat of ice. Remember not to run or you’ll slip on the floor!

Bestiary Notes:

I still have trouble believing how smoothly the fight went this time around, since for my first playthrough the fight took like 20+ minutes and Sue was the last woman standing at the end. But there’s a few hard and fast rules: definitely milk Extra Mix as hard as you can - there’s a reason the game gives you the mechanic right before the fight - and don’t use physical sources of damage (e.g. Sue or Mathias’ skills, or Craft) or else Falgior has a reaction move that can put the hurt on you. It also helps to have Sue in front since she’s the fastest member of the party by a country mile, and to have two other frontliners who aren’t Lydie up so they can tank and use items to debuff Falgior or chuck bombs at him or heal injured party members, but at this point I’m getting into more general battle strategies than anything specific to the fight.

Music:
A Town Shrouded in Shadow
How are you, everyone? This is Daisuke Achiwa! This piece is for the moment the town is in crisis! The first version of this I made actually played up the tension too much, so that more than impending doom, it practically played as battle music. I was told to tone it down, and this less-panicked, less-intense track is the result. (Achiwa)

Frosty Dream -Lydie-
I wanted to somehow replicate the feeling of Neige’s closed-off heart in this piece. My first run at it was affected by the cuteness of Neige’s design, and ended up being too warm. I quickly scrapped that and started again. (Yanagawa)

Frosty Dream -Suelle-
This has nothing to do with the music, but did any of you ever used to get served frozen mandarins for school lunches? I loved them, and ever since I’ve been living on my own, I eat them every year. Just some local flavor for you. (Yanagawa)

Let’s Try It! (Lydie & Suelle Ver.)
Sophie’s theme yet again. The original version of her character theme expressed her naivety and innocence as a novice alchemist, but by this title she has become an alchemist of some renown and ability, and she comes across as a very grown-up, reliable young woman. This arrangement takes that growth into account, and reflects that maturity. (Achiwa)

Prism
The title, “Prism,” is meant to suggest something that, with a little effort, can turn a single thing into a wide range of varied possibilities. It also relates to the central theme of colors, tying in nicely to the image of the mysterious paintings. I’m quite proud of it. […] This is a featured in-title track, with Mami Yanagi on vocals, and Dani on guitar and bass. We have been privileged to have these two talented musicians perform several numbers in past titles as well. For the title, my first impression when I saw the character designs of the protagonists was that they looked like baby birds, so the image I had for this track was that of baby birds learning to fly and leaving the nest for the unknown. (Achiwa)

Beyond the fate
Hello, my name is Odaka. This track has a very distinct story and dynamism, representing the transition from a world dominated by darkness and black, filled with despair, to one emblazoned with the bright stripes of hope, dreams and peace. The clean, clear vocals and the track’s sound, calling to mind the rapidly changing emotions of the story cape, serve to draw the listener into the story of the game. […] The alluring clarity of Hiromi Kajiwara’s vocals and the rapid changes in the track’s sound represent the power of courage, conviction and love to overcome fate itself and bring dreams to fruition. This is an expression not so much of the concept that good things come to those who wait, but that good things come to those who claim them for themselves. (Odaka)

DEBRIEF debrief:
With the end of Chapter 6 comes the end of the first story arc of the game. We were introduced to Lydie and Sue, two scrappy, inexperienced twins striving to fulfill the promise they made to their dying mother: to run the greatest atelier in the country. They get a false start with a painting in the basement that somehow has a fantastical world within—a world that sports unusually high-quality materials. But almost as soon as they return to the real world, their dad locks them out of the basement. They’re denied the ONE WEIRD TRICK to become master alchemists instantaneously.

But all isn’t lost, for the morning after, the Kingdom of Adalet implements the Atelier Ranking System, kicking the first story arc off in earnest. The ranking system serves as a vehicle for the twins to realize their dream, and brings them in contact with the royal family, introduces to them a valuable mentor and friend, affords them the chance (and even responsibility) to investigate more mysterious paintings, and ultimately, drags them into the royal plan to deal with an impending civilization-ending threat. Everything about the six months after the introduction of the Atelier Ranking System builds up to the awakening of the Thunder God Falgior of yore: the top brass of Adalet intended for the ranking system itself to attract powerful alchemists to the city (and it successfully does so with Ilmeria, Firis and Alt). The kingdom also enacts a policy to attain more Mysterious Paintings, as Neige, a national hero of Adalet, not only created the Mysterious Paintings, but used their power to defeat Falgior to begin with. The rank up exams themselves also serve as a useful means to deal with mounting problems directly related to Falgior’s coming, namely increased rain and thunderstorms, and monsters fleeing from Falgior’s pending return at Braisewest and drawing closer to the capital as a result.

As the Ranking System attracts new, powerful alchemists, it arguably introduces a quandary: while it serves as a vehicle for the twins to realize their dream and brings in many experienced alchemists who help the twins become better alchemists, it also means the twins will eventually have to surpass those same alchemists if they’re to fulfill their promise to Honette. Sophie’s prowess speaks for itself; Firis and Alt both were experienced enough to see what was on the horizon, and were researching and preparing accordingly; and Ilmeria was good enough that she was personally invited to Merveille to serve as the court alchemist.

Speaking of the Ranking System, now that its stated purpose - to attract powerful alchemists who can help defeat Falgior - has been seen through, what comes next for it, for the Kingdom of Adalet, and for the twins?

…Tune in later to see the aftermath of the climactic battle with Falgior!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Alchemy Tutorial

So I’ve promised this for a long time, and it’s about time I deliver! Lydie & Suelle has a pretty deep crafting system, and I hope this post helps you make the most of it if you're playing it yourself.

We’ll be crafting an Ice Bomb for the first part of this tutorial. First things first, pay attention to the effect levels; this is my postgame file at alchemy level 50, and a basic effect level of 16. You start the game at alchemy level 3, where your basic effect level is 10 and you can transfer 0 traits without a catalyst. You get more goodies with higher alchemy level, though:

Alchemy level 10: you can transfer 1 trait without a catalyst.
Alchemy level 15: basic effect level raised to 11.
Alchemy level 20: basic effect level raised to 12.
Alchemy level 25: basic effect level raised to 13.
Alchemy level 30: you can transfer 2 traits without a catalyst.
Alchemy level 35: basic effect level raised to 14.
Alchemy level 40: basic effect level raised to 15.
Alchemy level 45: basic effect level raised to 16.
Alchemy level 50: you can transfer 3 traits without a catalyst.

Materials themselves can have up to four components of various colors (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow or Purple), which can range from a single square to various shapes that can fit in a 3x3 grid).

Did I say grids? Because that’s a great opportunity to segue into Catalysts!

Catalysts

Ilmeria introduces you to catalysts once you hit Alchemy level 8, and you’re no longer limited to a 4x4 grid then. Some other early-game catalysts are also 4x4.

Some are 5x5, like Ertona Crystals and Darkshrooms.

Some are 6x6, like Rubies and Sapphires.

Finally, some late/endgame catalysts have a 7x7 grid.

You’ll notice that catalysts have other panels that have their own effects, even aside from affecting grid size. From chapter 6 (when you can first craft them) onward, Rubies are probably your best all-purpose catalysts, since you can use them to transfer up to 3 traits on items until you hit level 50, and for a massive +5 effect level cap boost. Providing an extra of whatever you craft is also super useful.

All you have to do is put something on the effect panel, and it’s activated.

Going back to the first screen, you might notice that effects (in this case, Ice Damage, Speed Down and Expand Effect Area) aren’t just tied to colors, but also to astral signs. Catalysts also help you hit (or prevent you from hitting) effect levels tied to these thresholds; in the case of a Ruby, it has panels that can raise Mars and Sun-tied effects by 4 and decrease the Mercury and Moon-tied effects by 4 when activated. For an Ice Bomb, only the Mercury-decreasing panel is relevant, but since each recipe has different astral effects, you can tailor your use of Catalyst accordingly.

Enhancing Agents

You probably first come across these in the Luminous Ice Grotto at the end of Chapter 4, but after this comes another layer of depth that can help you hit effect levels. Enhancing agents are sorted by color (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and Purple) can be divided into a few categories:

-Those that change tiles of a color and adjacent tiles with the same color to the enhancing agent’s respective color;

-Those that change ALL tiles of a color to the enhancing agent’s respective color;

-Those that change the colors of all the component pieces for one material to the enhancing agent’s respective color;

-Those that change all squares between selected square and enhancing agent-colored squares falling on a line into the enhancing agent’s respective color.

-One enhancing agent, a Dragon’s Eye, can let you reuse a material. (Fittingly, it’s vanishingly rare and can be found in bone piles at the Merimer Depths in the Great Cascades of Anfel).

tl;dr enhancing agents are a pretty big deal! If your components by themselves aren’t large enough or if you don’t have enough components of a relevant color, using enhancing agents can make the difference in hitting the effects you want or need. You can only use the once per synthesis, though.

(Also, yes, if the game thinks you made a good play then you get treated to a cut-in!)

Traits

I’ve talked a bit about traits, but here’s a section where I really want to explicate on them. They can add all sorts of effects to your items (e.g., make bombs more destructive, make medicine heal more, increase critical hit rates, increase use speed, add uses, give more stats on accessories, etc.)

For this section, let’s start by making some Moffcloth. We’ll need some Wild Cotton, some (Thread), some (Animal Materials), and some (Cloth).

Let’s select this Wild Cotton with the trait Parameters +15%

This Wool with Parameters +12%

This Big Scale with Quality Up ++

And finally, this Wind God’s Bag with Quality Up +.

After synthesizing, let’s look at the trait pool we can select from:

That’s right, the traits I mentioned up and vanished! Except not really: traits of the same category (e.g., quality-boosting, price-reducing, or stat percent increasing) can merge. In this case, Parameters +12% and Parameters +15% both merged up to Draw Out Power (which increases all stats by 20%) and Quality Up + and Quality Up ++ merged up to Pro Perfection (increases item quality by 35%). Merging traits is how you get from piddly early-game traits to the top-tier ones.

For instance, here are some Destruction traits…

Recovery traits…

Critical hit-boosting traits…

Stat-boosting traits…

Equipment Effect-boosting traits…

Skill Power-boosting traits…

Buffing traits and more!

You might notice that for these various traits, certain categories of items are either filled in or shaded out. This shows which items can have which traits; a bomb can’t have recovery traits, a healing item can’t have destruction traits, weapon cores and accessories can’t have critical hit traits, and so forth.

Items categorized as Synth, such as neutralizers, weapon and armor materials, gemstones, and a lot of other things in this tab, can have any trait; if you want a particular trait on a bomb or weapon core or what have you, then you can make Synth items with said traits first before doing synthesizing what you really want. Neutralizers in particular have a diverse array of sources (e.g., poison materials, clay, plants, oil, fuel and more), so that’s your key for getting useful traits from raw materials into your greater trait pool for future use.

Finally, on the subject of usable items comes categories thereof. You might have seen me coyly referencing how Sue can’t use healing items or how Mathias can’t use bombs, so here are the three categories for usables:

Bombs: Self-explanatory. Throw bomb, cause damage, etc.
Medicines: Also self-explanatory. They restore HP and/or MP. Maybe they’ll have some side effects like buffing a stat.
Support Items: Covers a wide variety of things! They can buff allies (e.g., raise critical hit rates or raise evasion rates), debuff or inflict status ailments on enemies, or change the terrain. (You’ve seen a precursor to this with the Falgior fight when the twins drew Falgior into the world of the Frozen Palace, but you’ll get the full gist of it in Chapter 7.)

What does this have to do with traits? You might have noticed in the previous screen that there’s a category for “Heal”. Spelling it out, Medicines and Support Items draw from the same trait pool.

Finally, here’s a handy chart on which party members can use which items:

Anyway, I hope that was thorough, and coming up next is a tutorial on forging!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Mysterious Paintings are something of a forgotten art? Surely this Black Paint can't have anything to do with that!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

So Mysterious Paintings are something of a forgotten art? Surely this Black Paint can't have anything to do with that!

Much like with the Malen family history plot thread, stuff about Black Paint is another plot thread abruptly dropped for a while, though Roger told the twins back in chapter 4 that plenty of alchemists have tried to make Mysterious Paintings over the centuries but hosed up

Anyway uh I realized while starting the forging tutorial that I can't really do it without giving away who the second DLC character is, so that'll wait for a bit; first Chapter 7 update(s) will come this weekend depending on how busy I am with other stuff

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 7-1: The Promise on Hold

An Unwanted Break

W-Why? What’s the meaning of this? The Atelier Ranking System is being temporarily suspended? … Eeehhh?!

W-What’s going on? What’s with all this noise?

Ah, Mireille! This! What’s the meaning of this?!

Ah. I told you how the ranking system was created to help defeat Falgior, didn’t I? Now that we’ve done that, we’re a little unsure about what we’re going to do with it. So there will be a little break in promotion exams! Hehehe!

Let’s go home…

Yeah…

H-Hold on? I thought they might appreciate a bit of time off…

We’ll figure out what to do once we’re home.

Sounds like a plan, Sue. …We’re home!

Hey, Dad’s not here? He’s not off wasting our money again, is he?

What! Not again! We’ve hardly got any money left this month already!

Then we just need to make some more! Make enough to cover everything he might spend!

Yeah. There wasn’t much on the Notice Board, but maybe we can find something in the city?

Good thought! Right, time to go find some money!

A Sudden, Desperate Job Hunt

Hm? I said there wasn’t much on the Notice Board…

Yeah, sure, but maybe we can find something! Or someone to give us a gig!

:corsair: Oh, hello dears. Thank you so much for defeating the Thunder God. It isn’t much, but here’s a little something from me. Buy yourselves something nice.

100 Coll received.

What? Really? Thank you so much! Are you sure?

:corsair: Yes, I’m sure. Get some sugar in you, cutie.

Heheh. Thank you so much!

Wow, are you sure about this?

It would have been ruder to turn her down. Let’s just make sure we put it to good use.

I guess so. We still didn’t get any work though, did we?

Good point.

Anyway, should we head to Soleil Street next?

Good idea! Even at this time of the night, you’ll find people out and about shopping or looking for something. And maybe there…

:c00lbert: Hey, me too! Tell us about the fight with Falgior!

A-Autographs? About Falgior? Hey, hold on. Stop pushing!

A-Anyway! About Falgior… well, you wouldn’t believe this, but we warped him into a painting and beat him up there!

Alright, sign here… Yeah! We just blew him up with everything we had until he finally went down!

It took a long time and we had some close calls, but… here we are, back in one piece!

:c00lbert: That was quite a fight with Falgior, wasn’t it! Thanks for telling me all about it!

:v: I’ll treasure this autograph forever! Keep it up, hero twins!

…Wow, that was quite the surprise!

They both seemed very happy, though. It’s nice to have everyone supporting us, isn’t it?

It is, but…

Yeah… doing autographs and basking in praise won’t actually make us money. Where else should we go, then…

The city gates? Maybe something’ll pop up there!

:blush: Look, you’re right! I just want to pet them on the head!

C-Cute? Heheh!

That makes me so happy! Actually, we’re looking for some work… Is there anything we can help you with? We’ll do whatever you need!

:blush: Let me see. Anything you can think of?

:swoon: Hmm, the storms have stopped, and there are less monsters now too. Sorry, I don’t think I really need anything…

No problem. Thanks for your time, anyway!

:swoon: And off they go… Those two are really lovely, aren’t they?

:blush: I was thinking the same thing! Hehe, I’m becoming quite a fan!

…Huh. We didn’t find any work, in the end.

I know. Dad is probably home by now. Let’s just go back to the atelier.

You’re right. Dad, please! Just don’t buy anything too crazy!

Sophie’s Request

Looks like it. This is odd… He always comes back home when he’s hungry…

Okay! Don’t mind if I d-

Ah, finally! Hey! Where have you been?

Sophie! Ah, sorry, that wasn’t directed at you! We’re waiting for our dad to come back, actually.

Sorry about that. We weren’t expecting you, Sophie.

Hahaha, don’t mind me. I should apologize for just turning up like this. I heard you were looking for work, so there’s something I wanted to ask you.

A job from you, S-Sophie? This is going to be depressingly difficult, isn’t it!

I wouldn’t say depressing! I’m going to be here for a while, so I’m settling in. I’d like you to make some useful items for me.

Hahaha, great. Will you bring them to me once you’re done? If you need to go and collect materials, I’ll help. Thanks for this!

No problem! Catch you later, Sophie!

Hmm… this note… wait, that’s it? Sophie could easily make this herself. She wanted to give us some work.

Looks like it. She’s really done so much for us, hasn’t she?

She has! So for the job she gave us…

Right then! We can’t let her down. Let’s synth up some items that’ll knock Sophie’s socks off!

All Sophie wants from us is an Ori Bomb… and luckily for us, we already have all the ingredients on hand!

Right! Now off to the tent!

Let’s go! I get the feeling we’ll be spending a loooooot of time in there from now on…

The twins head over to Firis’ tent.

Ah, girls! Have you made the item I wanted?

Teachers and Clients

Thank you! This is perfect!

Basic Guidebook received.

Kind of. I asked them to do some work for me. They really helped me out.

Indeed. The two of them are quite skilled. Definitely students worthy of Ilmeria.

Wow. A compliment from Plachta! That should be a real confidence booster! After all, Plachta is Miss Sophie’s teacher!

What? She is? I thought she was Sophie’s student!

People often make that mistake, but I’m the mentor here. Sophie hasn’t overtaken me yet.

Really? I think I’ve got some moves of my own by now!

Me too! We’ll be just like that with Ilmeria one day, I bet!

Hehe! I’d say the two of you are well on your way there!

Firis! That’s quite the vote of confidence.

Hey, we’d better get back to the atelier. I think we’ve overstayed our welcome already!

Good point. We’ll see you later!

Very well. Take care on your way home. We don’t want you falling and getting hurt.

Hehe. See you again, girls!

It may not be cold hard cash, but I can’t wait to see what’s in the book Sophie gave us!

Nyeh… me, not so much.

It’s… gonna be a while before we can make this, huh?

Right? And Crimson Stones? How do we even make THOSE?

“Basic Guidebook”? There’s nothing basic about this recipe or this item…

You’re right… I guess we still have a long way to go.

Speaking of which… think we should visit our teacher?

Ooh, sure thing!

The Cute Mentor’s Cute Plushies

W-What’s wrong?! Why are you suddenly shouting like that?

You’re right! Is this yours, Ilmeria?

Yes. Do you have a problem with that?

No, no problem. I’m just surprised you like cute things.

W-What?! I’m not that fond of them, not really!

Really? If I take a better look around this atelier, there’s actually lots of cute stuff in here…

Hmm? Hehehe… let’s see. Hey, Ilmeria… I really like this doll, do you think I could have it?

Ugh?!

If you don’t actually like cute things, you won’t mind if I take it, right?

Ugh…

It’s not a problem, right? Ilmeria! Pleeeease!

C-Chirpy! Hahaha! Ilmeria, did you just say Chirpy?

D-Don’t laugh! So what if I like cute things?!

You’re the one who denied it! You could have just said so from the beginning…

No, I mean… Having a teacher who likes cute things… That’s not very cool, is it?

Ah! So cute! Sue, I think Ilmeria is the cutest thing in here!

Yeah! I agree. My heart just skipped a beat! Ilmeria, you’re so cute!

S-Stop that! Don’t mock me! Gah, I didn’t want you finding out about this!

Please, will you forgive us? We’ll tell you about a place that sells all sorts of cute things…

Really?! Oh, darn it!

Oh! So cute… Ilmeria is so cute!

Gah! I can’t believe this! Mocked by my own students like that…

Oh! Ilmeria?

Liane?! Ah…

Another Little Sister

Oh, my! Hehe, you just want it all, don’t you Ilmeria! Is that the same, now that you’re grown up? Go ahead! Take as much as you want!

Mmm… Mmmm…! Munch munch…

Ah, I’m so happy to hear that. You always used to eat so many, didn’t you! I’ve got some new ones for you too, made using the sweetest fruit!

Uwah! These look delicious! I can’t wait to try one!

Go right ahead. Ah, you’re so cute too! It’s like having another sister!

Right! We oughta pay another visit to the tent!

Family, Friends and Learners

Music: Dreams of a Book (Lydie & Suelle Ver.)

Yes, that looks good. Next…

Soph… oh? What’s this? Firis is learning alchemy from Plachta?

Wow, yeah! But isn’t Firis Sophie’s student?

Hey, you two. That’s right, I’m Miss Sophie’s student.

But since that also makes her the student of my student, I sometimes also teach Firis myself.

Plachta can teach really well. It goes without saying that she’s a great alchemist, too.

Wow! She does look like she’d be good at taking care of people.

Hehe, thank you. But please don’t tell Sophie about this.

What? Why not? It’s not like you’re doing anything wrong…

Haha, well, it makes her jealous.

If I teach Firis, Sophie gets mad and starts going on about how she’s Firis’ teacher. …Honestly. She’s a grown woman now, but inside she’s still just a kid.

Hahaha, she still relies on you a lot, Plachta!

Oh, you bet she does. Sometimes I think she’d do better without…

Yes, I’m coming! Sorry, girls, but it’s time for tea. Sophie, what’s on the menu for today?

Some of my special cakes, and some lemon tea too!

She just stopped mid-sentence and went off to eat, didn’t she?

Hahaha, this might sound odd coming from me, but Plachta’s first loyalty is to her stomach!

Hah, that’s unexpected! I guess Plachta might also be more of a little kid than I thought!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 7-2: Odd Jobs and Odder Clients

Hey, Sue… we’re still strapped for cash.

We sure are… Hey, why don’t we head to Soleil Street? This time around, we might catch wind of something there!

Memento From Her Father

Music: Camellia Sazanka (Music Box Ver.)

Ah, welcome. Tell me, girls. Have you ever heard this music before?

No, I don’t think so. Sue?

Me neither. Is there some kind of secret to that music box? Like, the music from it opens the doors to a secret treasure?

No. This music is a clue to the location of my father. The father I’ve never met.

Not even once?

Not even once. He left before I was born, so I don’t even know what he looks like.

Oh… well, do you have any other leads on him?

I see. In which case, Corneria, will you please tell us more about him?

We’ve been living here all our lives. Maybe we can help you!

Girls… Thank you so much. Let me see… From what I heard, he has the same duplication ability that I do. Oh, the clothing I wear, this music box and the melody therein are from his homeland. Does that ring any bells?

Someone dressed in the same kind of clothing as you, and with the same copy power…

Hmm. I’m pretty sure I’d remember someone like that.

Sorry, Corneria. It turns out we can’t help you after all.

No, it’s all right. I’ve been actively searching for him for more than ten years, after all. But I’m not ready to give up yet.

Hmmm.

Oh, by the way… word on the street is that you two are looking for work. I heard that Hagel was looking for something.

Ohh? Off to Hagel’s, then! Thanks, Corneria!

Hagel’s Strictly Confidential Request

Yes? What is it this time?

Well, I want some thread. As delicate as you can find, smooth, and in bulk! Lots of it!

Lots of thread? What are you planning this time?

I can’t tell you! Torture me with my own forge implements, I won’t tell!

It’s something strange again, isn’t it? The Hagel Toothbrush? The Hagel Towel?

Nothing like that! This time I’m aiming for something more…

More what?

Hah! I’m not falling for that, either! This one is top secret!

Gah, it didn’t work…

You’ll need to try harder than that to trick me! Now go and get to work, girls!

Uwah, fine, fine. It’s just going to be more worthless junk this time, though, isn’t it?

…We’ve got plenty of thread. Might as well let some of it go.

Hagel! We’ve got the thread that you wanted…

Who’s bald?! How dare you!

Uwah! I literally only said your name!

Ah! Sorry, little lady. I’m getting pretty nervous, for lots of reasons.

Huh? Anyway, please accept this delivery.

Hey, this is good! Smooth as a maiden’s hair, with great color and luster too! Hahaha! If this works, it’ll be long and flowing again…

Flowing?

Ah, nothing, nothing! Here you go, girls. Your reward.

3000 Coll received.

What? This much? All we did was bring you some thread!

It’s fine, don’t worry about it! However…

U-Understood!

Good. Everything is going according to plan!

Psst! Hey, Sue… You guessed what Hagel is planning on making, right?

Yeah. I’ve got a pretty good idea.

But why now? I don’t know how I’ll react if he comes out wearing, well, you know…

Hahaha! Let’s just leave him to it, shall we?

Let’s. Anyway, wanna hit up Atelier Borthayre next?

Go and visit Lucia, huh? Sure, why not.

At Atelier Borthayre…

This can’t be helped. I think I’ll need to force this a little… Or a lot, in fact.

Lucia, let’s have some fun! I’ve got some sweets for you again!

A Job from Lucia

What? Well, I’m not sure I’d call it “free”.

Enough time to come and see me, though. So I’ve got the perfect job for you to take!

It feels like we’re getting dragged into something here?

Not at all! Here’s the request.

Huh… Synthesis of an item. Why are you giving this to us, Lucia? You’re planning something, I can smell it!

How rude. I’m just trying to bring a little life back to your deserted atelier.

That’s a lie, 100%! But I guess we can handle a job like this.

Yeah, it doesn’t look that hard. Alright, we’ll do it for you.

Really? Thank you… ahem. I mean, go and do your very best.

Hahaha. Okay. We’ve got this.

Hmm? (She’s definitely up to something…)

She wants three Breezy Aromas. How do we… Oh! I think I’ve got a good lead!

Hehe, nicely done! Now to make three of these, as Lucia requested. We just need some Pure Oil, some aroma, some medicinal materials, and paper…

We just have to do this again… and we’re set!

Hmm… we oughta gift wrap these Breezy Aromas, right? Only the best for our childhood friend…

Eh? Well, if you say so!

Hehe… there we go! Now let’s make the delivery…

Lucia’s Con Job

Lady Lucia, we’ve got what you asked for!

Ohohoho, good work, good work! Especially for both of you. Well done.

Heheh, thanks.

Here’s your reward.

200 Coll received.

Wow, thank you, Lucia. Although does this qualify as a “reward”?

You’ve been a big help. Now then…

Yes, here it is. Please, take a look.

:pseudo: Very good. Your reputation is earned, Borthayre. I will pay the reward, as promised.

Heheh, thank you! Please come again!

:pseudo: I’ll be sure to. Time to take my leave.

Ohohoho! Make use of whatever you can! This is the world of adults, Lydie!

Hey, we can’t accept that! Right, Sue!

We fell for it too, didn’t we? Some of the blame lies on us.

You seem very calm, Sue. Normally you would be flying into a rage right about now!

I don’t fly into anything, thank you! I’m just going to let it slide this time.

That’s… a very pragmatic way to look at it. The ones who get tricked are at fault!

Uwah… Goodbye, Lucia.

See you later! Ah, one last thing. There’s still something special for you to look forward to!

Uwah! What’s this smile on my face? It’s too much! What am I turning into? …I feel really guilty, as well. I probably shouldn’t have started this.

No, really, Sue, are you fine with this?

Oh well! Let’s go home and hone our own skills. There’s some useful stuff I’ve been wanting to make, after all…

Hehe! Ever felt like we didn’t have enough room for materials out in the field?

Sue…!

Right! Let’s get started, with some Chaotic Dirt as our catalyst…

We’re going to need an Enhancing Agent, looks like.

Hehe, that’ll do the trick!

Amazing, Sue! Now we’ll never have to worry about running out of space out there again…

And I’m not done yet! I think we have what it takes to upgrade our Gathering Gloves too!

With a Ruby as our catalyst…

All we need is all the purple we can fit in here!

Now we’ll find even more rare goodies out there!

You’re on a roll, Sue! …Oh?

OHOHOHOutwitted

Haha, it’s here! Lydie, open it up!

Are you sure? Uwah, it’s full of money!

800 Coll received.

Hehe, that’s right. This is what’s called “legitimate compensation”.

What do you mean? Where’s this money from?

Tricked? I don’t know what you mean. I just collected our reward?

What? What’s going on? Can someone please explain?!

Hahah! This money is the reward for the item that Lucia tricked us into making!

Sue, you little minx! You put a note on the item, didn’t you! “This item was made by Lydie and Sue. Please pay them for it.”

Ah! That’s why you were so calm. You could have told me about it!

Trick your allies to trick your enemies! It’s Lucia’s own fault that she fell for it.

Ugh, I got chewed out by the client, and didn’t even get paid! I can’t believe this! I already had to push the deadline back. What about the reputation of my atelier now?!

I don’t know about any of that, but you brought it on yourself, “big sister”!

That’s right, Lucia! I’m angry too! I hope you feel sorry about all this!

F-fine, I am to blame for this. I do feel sorry! Please!

Did she just apologize and get angry again? I guess that’s just like Lucia, though.

Hahaha. Do you think she’ll be okay? She was talking about the deadline, and her reputation…

Hmmm, I’m sure she’ll work something out. She’s not a child, after all.

Yeah, good point. We’re on firmer financial footing, so… Let’s go spend our reward on some fine dining!

Really? Great! Food paid for with a successful plan tastes even better! Hahaha!

Lucia has acquired the skill “Borthayre’s Master”.
A new Combination Art for Sue And Lucia “Rules of Chaos” is unlocked.
This is way earlier than you’re supposed to have ANY Combination Arts period, so we don’t get an obligatory tutorial event yet. Anyway, Borthayre’s Master - Increases Max MP.

Gah! Guess I’ll drop by Soleil Street before going home and getting back to work. I need a pick-me-up after all that… I wonder if there’s anything nice on sale here… Something suited to my beauty!

Lucia, Model

Yes? Do you mean me?

I do. You are even more wonderful close up! I have something to ask you. Please, will you be my model?

A model! Ohohohoho! You have a kind eye, good sir! Of course I don’t mind. Although I doubt you can capture my beauty in a painting!

A painting? No, that’s not it. I want you as a model for one of my dolls.

A doll?

Yes. A doll for my doll theater. I’ve got the perfect role for you.

Very well! That sounds fine, too. Just make it as beautiful as you can!

Yes, you can leave that to me! Heheh, a fine test for my skills!

You’re perfect for that villainous role! The perfect face! A miracle, to find such a model!

What? A villain? Evil? I’m not standing for that! Excuse me, thank you!

No, wait! You’re not escaping! You’re the ultimate evil! I cannot let you get away!

Elsewhere in Merveille…

Ilmeria’s Cute Chick Mk. II

Oh, Firis. Sorry, but I’m a little busy right now… I’ll be done in a moment. Why don’t you come in and take a seat?

Sure, I’ll just relax here for a bit.

She really can’t sit still to save her life…

…Hmm, let’s see. Things have changed around here a little since I last saw it… Huh?

Huh, what…? Augh! Uh, th-th-that’s…!

I remember this! I gave it to you, right? Wow… It’s so nice to see you’ve taken such good care of it.

N-N-No, you’ve got it wrong! It’s a different one! A different chick!

Huh, really? You mean this isn’t Piko?

That’s right! This is Pisuke! He’s an energetic young boy, related to Piko! Piko isn’t here anymore! That’s right - and if I say she’s gone, she’s gone!

Hmm, is that right…? That’s a little sad…

Huh…?

Ilmeria, you’re telling me you got rid of Piko, aren’t you? After I gave her to you… I’ve still got the original “Gyoromaru” that you gave me… (Liane hates it, though, so I keep it shut away in a box, but still…)

Ugh…

*Sigh*… It’s hard to hear that the present I gave you just wasn’t special to you at all…

B-B-B-B-But…! But that’s… That’s not how…!

Y-You know I would never throw away a present you gave me…

Ilmeria…! Thank you! You’ve made me so happy! I hope you’ll think of her as if she were me, and take good care of her.

Uh?!

Now then! I’m feeling kind of hungry. I think I’ll have some sweets. Last time, they were here… Ah, here they are!

…Think of her as if she were Firis…?! But I always sleep with Piko…!

Mmm, these are good… You always buy the best sweets, Ilmeria…

Ah, aaaughhhh! Wh-What am I supposed to do?!

Hey, Ilmeria, you’ve stopped moving. Hurry up and finish your work so we can play.

She just passed out… Guess it falls to me to finish her job. And tuck her in…

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 12, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That cute little yellow plushie is a fuckin' live grenade, I tell you what.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Well that got ... something

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Look this wouldn't be a proper atelier game if we didn't have multiple girls very obviously into each other

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

I would like to thank you for the links to individual updates in the OP, it's literally the only way I can get these things to load.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

I would like to thank you for the links to individual updates in the OP, it's literally the only way I can get these things to load.

Useful note for everyone reading, since I know these can take their sweet time to upload between all the icons, screens and GIFs—and that this issue compounds on every page as updates roll in. :siren: Links to new individual updates are denoted accordingly in the OP. :siren:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, it's just unfortunate Atelier games as a rule don't tend to generate much between update discussion to help keep the load times down.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 7-3: Teach in Tow

Traveling with Teach

Oh, you’ve come at just the right time. I was just about to head to your atelier.

Huh…? Our atelier?! You weren’t going to give us our next task, were you?! Augh! How terrible, Lydie! We’ve been caught completely unprepared! Arrghh!

Wait a minute! Just calm down! Stop acting like I’m some monster who’s always testing you!

Huh… But that’s more or less true…

What was that?

U-Uh, nothing, nothing… But Ilmeria, if you didn’t want to give us a new task, then why…?

Hehe, well, listen and be amazed. I wanted to come and offer to help you gather new materials!

Help us…? You mean, you’re going to come with us?!

Precisely. Things have calmed down a little, so I thought I’d teach you the fundamentals of gathering up close. Hehehe, be aware that this won’t be easy. Make a mistake, and you’ll pay for it…

…Huh?

Sue! Sue! We finally get to go on an adventure with our teacher!

I know, Lydie! Isn’t it wonderful?! You always said you wanted to travel with Ilmeria!

That’s right! It’s always been my dream… to go places with her, and gather materials with her…!

You two…

So, Ilmeria! Once again…

We are in your hands!

…Hehe, then leave it to me! After all, I am your teacher. Just sit back and trust that you’re in good hands… Lydie, Sue, let’s make the most of this!

So, yeah, with :10bux: more out of my pocket and Ilmeria joining, the gang’s all here!

Sue! Let’s drop by Hagel’s!

Right! Sophie needs a new staff, and we need a special weapon juuuust for our teacher!

The Atelier Protagonist Archetype

Let’s give the Gold Eisen we made a whirl! It’s more powerful than Silvalia! We also need some wood, gems and Hidden Power… and voila!

It’s finished! A wooden staff. Why do alchemists love to use these so much, though?

You know, that’s a good point. Sue doesn’t use one, but I do, and Sophie too…

I wonder. It makes you look smarter, maybe?

It might be a more practical reason. Alchemists have to stir their cauldron a lot, right? That means a lot of standing up. And that means aching legs, back, and joints. So they use a staff for walking to ease that pain? To keep the use of their legs into their old age?

How horrible! There’s nothing fun in that reason! No dreams!

Sue’s right! I reject it! I reject that reason!

What? I put a lot of thought into that! Come on then, tell me!

Alright! I’ve got one! When we lack materials, we can snap the staff up and use that!

Lydie, that’s even worse!

Hmm. I guess it doesn’t really matter. They are suited to alchemists, I guess! That’s all!

Next! Ilmeria’s staff!

Some more of the Gold Eisen, some wood, some gunpowder, and some neutralizer… I guess Ilmeria also packs some serious heat!

No event for forging Ilmeria’s staff, sadly; whether the writers didn’t want to dip into the man make a staff well a third time, or whether Gust couldn’t get Hagel’s voice actor back in the studio to record this is anyone’s guess.

Alright! To the outskirts!

But first, to the gates! …Oh? What’s this?

Firis’ Unwanted Fame

Thank you for coming!

Liane, hello! How is the shop going?

Hehe, very well, thank you. Here.

A survey I’ve been having my customers fill in. Take a look!

A survey? Let’s see… “Offers a wide range of produce”. “Shop owner is cute”, “lots of items”, “shop owner is hot”, “show owner is funny”…

Wow, yeah, you have a pretty good reputation! Although half of these are about you?

Well, Liane, you are attractive, and kind too. You only sell the best, as well! I’m not surprised you get lots of customers.

Hehe, that’s very kind of you to say. I need to make my shop even more famous now.

I’m hoping you do the opposite, actually…

The more famous Liane’s shop gets, the harder it is for me to live in Merveille! First, the name! “Lovely Firis!” That’s embarrassing enough as it is!

No, it isn’t! I think it’s a lovely name.

Your opinion doesn’t count! Then there’s the way you interact with your customers. Can you stop telling them stories about me? I know people are talking about me when I walk past!

Oh, but come on! I want tales of your cuteness to be passed down through history, Firis!

Hah… Those stories may be good for business, but why do they have to be so embarrassing? This is wrong. It’s definitely wrong!

Hahaha… You’ve got it tough too, haven’t you Firis…

Yeah… Hey, Lydie, remember when we were jealous of how close they are?

I don’t think we need to beat that, actually…

Sucks for Firis… at least she knows how to hit Liane where it hurts.

Anyway, Sue, before we head out, I wanna see Plachta in action.

Sure thing! She’s Sophie’s teacher, after all!

In Lieu of a Lesson

Can we watch you while you do some alchemy?

An interesting request. Whatever for?

Well, what do you think? You’re Sophie’s teacher, after all!

You must be quite the alchemist! Do you mix while standing on your head? Ooh, tell me that you do!

Girls, I’m an alchemist, not a clown! Also, I’m sorry to betray your expectations, but I can’t actually synthesize.

What? You can’t?! What do you mean?

Exactly what it sounds like. There’s a reason why I can’t make items.

Really? But you know so much about alchemy!

Of course, I used to synthesize in the past. But since I’ve had this body…

Your body? …Hmm, Sue…

Yeah… I don’t think we should stick our noses in this one… Plachta, thank you. Sorry for asking something so weird.

No, that’s fine. I can offer you some advice about alchemy, instead.

Wow, are you sure? That would be great!

Without further delay, then. The secret to thinking up recipes… It’s creativity and free thinking. Hehe… you two show promise, and you’ve your whole lives ahead of you. What will you experience? What will you come up with? I’ll be looking forward!

Thanks, Plachta!

First off! To the Great Woods of Gurm-Adis!

Ilmeria Battle

Music: Sunflower -Part 2-
(Music: Hydrangea -Part 2-)

Let’s do this, Il!

Here I go!

Ooh, nicely done! But I won’t be shown up!

Not bad… but I won’t fall behind you just yet!

Hey, Sue… Ilmeria sure is strong, isn’t she?

Seriously! Hehe, it’s touching that she and Firis work really well together in combat! But still…

Sue?

Feh! I’ll save it for once we’re back in Merveille.

After All This Time

Wh-What’s the matter? Why did you start sulking as soon as you saw me…?

Hahaha, well, here’s the thing… You’re really strong, right, Ilmeria?

Well, yes, I suppose. I can certainly handle most monsters you’ll come across round these parts.

That’s the problem. That’s why Sue’s a little upset…

Huh? Why?

If you’re so strong, then why didn’t you help us until now? If you had helped us, our investigations of the paintings would have been so much easier! Hmph!

Oh, I see. You don’t seem to understand my intent. There was an important reason for me to not help you!

An important reason…?

Precisely! If you had you teacher by your side all the time, and relied on them, it would’ve hampered your development. That’s why I decided to not go with you. Even though it tore me up inside. Can’t you appreciate the sacrifice I made?

Teacher… That’s all nice, but you should tell us the truth…

…I was just really busy.

D-Don’t be so demanding! I’m helping you now, aren’t I?! Be satisfied with that! I mean… I also wish I could have spent more time with you…

…Hehe. Come on, Sue. Let’s cut our teacher some slack, okay? You know full well how busy she’s been. Right, Sue?

…I wasn’t really that angry to begin with. But you have to make us a promise, as our teacher! From now on, we come first, not your other work! Okay?

Haha, you really are demanding… All right, I understand. I promise I’ll go with you wherever you want to go. Is that what you want?

Yes! …Oh, and one more thing. You have to bring some sweets! And something to drink would be nice, too…

Hey, I’m not your servant, you know! I’m not doing that!

Hmph, I knew you were cheap! Can’t you even do that much for us?

No! I’m the teacher, you’re my students! If anyone should be bringing treats along, it should be you…

Hehe…

That night…

Repainting the World

What about it?

When we used the Rainbow Palette and changed all the scenery around us. That felt good, right?

Sure did! I can still remember it even now. But it also really took it out of me. Like, mentally wore me down.

You said it! I wish we could do the same thing, but a bit easier.

Hey, I know. Why don’t we make an item that can do that? The Rainbow Palette and Color Fragments let us transform our surroundings into a painting… We know the basic theory, so now we just have to apply it. Right?

Hehe, you’re right! Let’s give it some thought!

When we fought Falgior, the Rainbow Palette worked off of the Color Fragments Neige gave us. So… we can recreate that experience by making items based off other worlds' Color Fragments.

I think I get it! So all we need now is some trial and error!

Right you are! I’ve been doing all the research and theorizing, so you do the mixing, Sue!

Bleeh! I guess it’s only fair…

There we go! Sue, this is the recipe!

Yes! With this we can use the same abilities as the Rainbow Palette! So let’s make one, as quickly as we can! I can’t wait to see what it does!

Me too, me too! Let’s hope it works out!

Let’s start with… Anfelite! With Firis and Ilmeria on our side, we can really put the Great Cascades’ environment to use!

These ingredients are one thing, but… I think that if we want to make the most of this Anfelite, we’ll need traits that'll let us use it quickly and effortlessly.

So… traits like these!

Repainting the World Mk. II

Yep! We’ve created an item that can repaint the world! If we use this, we can transform the world, just like we did when fighting Falgior!

Hahaha! Just you wait and see! With this I will paint the world in my own colors!

I don’t think that’s exactly how it’s meant to work… Anyway, I was really wondering something about the Mysterious Paintings! Let’s go see Mireille!

Time in the Paintings

Oh? How do you mean…?

Daytime Paintings stay in daytime, and nighttime ones stay in the night the whole time, right?

Well, saying time “stands still” isn’t quite the right expression… When you come back from the paintings, time has passed here, right? So, while it might be difficult to see, time must be passing in there.

Hmmm. …Hey, don’t look at me, I don’t have a clue about this stuff!

Thanks for that, Sue. So the time of day doesn’t change, but time is still passing?

Yes, that sounds right. Well done, Lydie!

So day can be day at night, and night can be night during the day? Or night is night when it’s…

Hahaha, I think that’s enough about this. Poor Sue is starting to foam at the mouth.

Hahaha, you’re right. Sue, we’re leaving!

The next morning…

Fast Friends Fighting

Well, I won’t deny that I like it too. Besides, unless I’m near you, I feel like I’ll get caught up in one of your explosions.

Come on, I wouldn’t do that… Probably. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before, have I…?

Oh, you saw right through me. I just decided to have some tea with Ilmeria! …Oh, seeing you reminds me, Sue. There was something I meant to ask Ilmeria about.

Something you wanted to ask me? I hope it isn’t anything too weird…

Don’t worry… Ilmeria, I noticed you haven’t used your gun much recently. It looked so cool on you. How come?

A-A gun…?! You used to use a gun?!

Of course. My father taught me how to use it when I was young.

Huh…! Our teacher with a gun…! I’d love to see that…!

But Firis is right - we’ve never seen you use one. Is there a reason for that?

Well, yes… It’s forbidden.

Forbidden?! Wh-Why?! Who forbade it?!

…Mireille. As you know, I have been officially invited by this country to set up an atelier here. As I play a public role, I have been forbidden from using anything other than a traditional alchemist’s staff.
Ilmeria could use guns too in Atelier Firis, so here’s your story reason for why Ilmeria can’t just pick up one of Sue’s guns and go to town now. And in L&S each party member can only use one weapon type, and Lydie and Sophie and Il can’t use each other’s staves at that.

Oh, I see… I had no idea you operated under such strict rules…

Nor did I. If we were under the country’s auspices, both Sue and I would be forced to change too.

Hehe… Yes, dealing with the bureaucracy of a state is actually a lot more troublesome than it appears. Don’t you forget that, Lydie, Sue. You either, Firis. Hehehe…

I-I see… The politics of the real world can be very tricky…

Meanwhile, at church…

A Sight out of Kirchen Bell

Oh my, if it isn’t Sophie! Nice to see you! Look how big you are now!

Pamela! What are you doing here? I thought you went back to Kirchen Bell?

That was the plan. I wanted to catch a cart to Reisenberg, but I took the wrong one. Before I knew it, I was here in Merveille.

Hahaha! That’s just like you, Pamela. What do you think? Should I make something to whisk you back to Kirchen Bell? That seems like the best way to get you back to your church, Pamela… The only way?

I don’t need anything of the sort! Don’t treat me like some clumsy child, please.

Hehe, you’re right. I’m sorry. Still, it’s nice to have you here, Pamela. It’s so reassuring, having you so close.

Me too, Sophie. Being near you really soothes my spirit.

I’m glad to hear it. I’d better be going, for today, anyway. I’ll come again soon! See you later!

…Hold on. I’ve just realized something. If Sophie is so big now, all the kids at the church must have grown up too!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 7-4: Puppets, Poltergeists and Prep

Hey, Sue. Did you hear something?

The Puppeteer Made

That sounds like Mr. Fritz. Is he making another puppet?

Hahaha, I don’t know… Maybe we should go and check it out? …Ahem! Mr. Fritz!

Phew. Hey, girls. What’s up?

We heard you from outside, and wondered what you were doing…

Hmm. It seems this place has thin walls. I guess for 3000 Coll a month you can’t ask for much.

Our atelier is 500 Coll. And when it rains… Well, enough of that. Mr. Fritz, what were you doing? It doesn’t look like you were making another puppet…

No, I was practicing with the sword. I’m getting a bit rusty.

With a sword? Mr. Fritz, aren’t you a puppeteer?

Yes, it often surprises people. Before I was a puppeteer, I was a mercenary. I still sometimes make a little extra money by fighting monsters. So I have to keep myself in shape.

Hehe, it all started when I saw one of my wife’s puppet shows. She completely stole my heart. I gave up on being a mercenary because I wanted to be a puppeteer like my wife. I started training with her, learned so much, and before we knew it we ended up married!

Love, born in the theater! How lovely! I hope I can meet someone like that!

Lovely, you say… I guess so, if the story ended there.

Hold on! That doesn’t sound good!

Now, we’ve no idea where she is. This is one of the reasons for our travels. To find her…

I see…

Yeah. I still hope to meet here again and make up, somehow. But we don’t even know where she’s living right now. I just hope she’s alive and well…

Mmm… I hope it works out well for you, your wife and Drossel!

The next day, at Soleil Street…

The Puppeteer and the P…

Hahaha, you’re such a scatterbrain! I thought you were a little bit more together than this?

Hey, I am! Really! This was an innocent mistake! …Hey! Lydie and Sue!

Yes, of course. We’re already really great friends!

We are!

I’m more surprised that you two know each other, to be honest!

We stayed for a while in the town where Pamela lived, a while back. She was a nun there.

Hehehe, Fritz was a big help. Everyone at the church loved his puppets.

I’m glad to hear you say that! You helped us a lot too!

Pamela has been a nun for a long time, then! I thought maybe she was something else…

Hey, I can hear you! That was rude!

Hehe. You still have a way with kids, just like always. In any case, I sense destiny behind this meeting. If you need anything, just let me know.

Hehe, and I extend the same offer. If you need to chat about anything, I’ll be here for you. …Ah, and one last thing. I’d love to see another one of your puppet shows sometime!

Hahaha, that can easily be arranged! See you later!

…That took me back! Tell me, is Fritz the same as before?

The same as… ah, I think I know what you mean. His reaction to puppets?

Yes, that’s right! If you know about it, I guess he is the same! Good! I’m glad to hear it. That’s how Fritz should be, no doubt!

And there she goes… Hmm. That confirms that Mr. Fritz has always been a little bit odd.

Yeah. If he’s not going to change, we just need to get used to it. Anyway… let’s drop in at Firis’ tent next!

Cryptic Language and Books

Hey, Plachta. Are you choosing a book?

Yes, I love to read. Would you both care to join me?

Hahaha, I thought you’d never ask! No running away, Sue, please!

Gyah! She caught me…

Of course I did. I’m your sister! Plachta was kind enough to ask us to join her! A little reading will do you some good.

Ugh… fine! But just a little, okay?

Alright, enough already! I’m done with this!

Hmm. You may not like reading, Suelle, but you handle those books with care.

Of course. Just because I hate something, it doesn’t mean I’m going to throw it around! Promise with Mom Number 3! “Handle books with care”!

Hahaha… That one only came about because you’d always leave books lying around…

I was a baby! I look after books now by keeping them safe on the shelf at all times.

Hah! You get bored too easily, Sue.

Hehe. In any case, I’m impressed to see you looking after books so well. Eating while reading, or folding page corners… I cannot abide people who do such things!

Hahaha! Plachta, you sound like a book yourself.

… What?! You were a book?!

Hey, Lydie… Plachta says the weirdest things sometimes, doesn’t she?

Yeah… Is she simply joking? She doesn’t look like the type to joke around…

I know. But I can’t believe that’s true, either… Hmm?

Girls? Is something wrong?

Ah! No, it’s nothing. We’re fine.

Later, Plachta! Anyway, Lydie, I was wondering about Pamela. If she and Fritz knew each other from way back when, and we do too…

The Oldest Nun

It’s a long way from here. Everyone is so kind, though, it’s a lovely place!

Wow. A place just like you, Pamela!

Uwah, Lydie! We don’t usually compare people and places, do we?

Haha, I was just trying something else. I bet it is a wonderful place, though.

Well, I haven’t been back for a long time. Five years? Ten? Something like that.

Hold on… Sorry if I’m being rude, but how old are you, Pamela? Thinking about it now, you don’t seem to have changed at all from when we first met you!

Good point! Are you the same age as Sister Grace?

Girls! Of course not!

Hahaha, I didn’t think so. Sister Grace looks young, but she’s in her fifties…

…Huh? Could you say that one more time, Pamela?

Pamela, sorry… can I borrow you for a moment?

Yes, of course. Sorry girls, we’ll have to pick this up another time.

…She said 300, but she was just joking, right?

Sue…? Let’s go somewhere, anywhere, to get your mind off of this subject. Hmm… back to the tent!

Alchemist, Hunter and Gatherer

(Perfect…!) Hunting? You mean, like, hunting animals?

Yes. You’ve never hunted before, right? It could be a good experience for you.

Ah, I see. Yes, I’ve been wanting to try it!

Me too. We always said we’d be able to save some money if we could hunt.

Hahaha, that settles it then. Let’s catch something big and eat a lovely meal! Liane has told me about a good place to go. Once you’re ready, we’ll head right out!

We’re very ready, Firis! Where to?

We’ll hunt rabbit at… the Spring-green Odahlia!

The Genius Alchemist and Archer

Yeah… My palms are sweating. Firis, how do we hunt it?

What do you mean, how? Just like usual. We fight and defeat it! That’s all!

Hold on? You call that hunting?

Yes, I do! It’s a bit different after defeating it, anyway. Come on, both of you!

Good, we got it! Now, what’s different after we defeat it?

We have to skin it, and drain the blood. If it’s too much for you, you don’t have to…

No, it’s okay… This is part of the hunt. If we are taking a life, we have to see this through.

Me too. Go ahead, Firis.

Hehe, all right. Here we go, then. Nice and simple… just… like… that! …Yes, a good hunt! We have to process the meat to preserve it.

Please do! I can’t wait to eat it!

Thank you for bringing us out with you today. We learned a lot!

You are quite incredible with that bow, too, Firis!

Tell me about it! I’ve never seen an alchemist who can use a bow so well!

Ah, well. I learned hunting and shooting from Liane. I was fighting with a staff before that. …Liane looked so cool using a bow. I twisted her arm until she taught me.

Wow, so you haven’t been using the bow all that long? You really are amazing, Firis!

Learning both archery and alchemy so quickly. You’re just so talented!

Unaided? How-

I use alchemy to make the arrows chase the prey. Hahaha!

That’s impressive too, actually! Using alchemy to do that! I mean… you think that makes you sound LESS impressive?

You said it. You’re a genius, Firis, no doubt about it.

A-Anyway! Let’s go back to Merveille. The meat should be ready the morning after!

The next day…

A Less Mature Side

Yes, please! I was just starting to feel hungry!

Sounds good. I’ll give you the full banquet! Hahah! Leave this to your head chef! First, chop this… oww, not my finger! Next, roast this… ugah, flambé!

I’m fine, honest. Go over there, Liane! I want to cook for the twins.

Alright… but we need some veggies! …There we go! Lydie! Sue! Let’s eat!

That was great! Wow, I’m stuffed.

It was so good. The kitchen is in chaos, but we can ignore that.

Hahaha, I should have practiced a bit more first. At least it turned out alright.

I was surprised, though, to learn you don’t like veggies, Firis.

What?! T-That’s not true!

You can’t hide it from me. I saw you avoiding them!

It’s always been that way. Firis just won’t eat her greens, no matter what I say…

Hey. It’s their fault for never changing! They’re bitter and stringy and horrible!

What? Mature? I’m the one over here always worrying that I’m too immature!

Ah, thinking that Firis is an adult was just our mistake… Sorry about that.

Sorry? Why are you apologizing? I’m getting confused again!

Uwah, well, there are some things you only find out once you get close to someone, right?

Lydie. That makes absolutely no sense in this context.

Hahaha! You’re right. Some things you only find out once you get to know someone. So I want to become better and better friends with you both, and learn all about you.

Us too!

Firis. Comments like that are no way to prove anything…

Hehe… Anyway, catch you later, Firis, Liane! There’s some work we’ve been putting off all day.

That night…

Ah!

Pamela’s Haunting Admission

Are you alright, Lydie? It’s been a while since you failed so badly!

Yeah… That thing Pamela said has been on my mind.

What, about being 300 years old? Hahaha, that was just a Pamela-style joke!

She came out with it really smoothly, for it to be a joke… Maybe Pamela is actually a ghost?

No, that can’t be. It can’t!

I didn’t hear the door open! Did you come in through the window?!

No, I came through the door. Quite literally through it! Wooooh!

Uwah! So you really are a g-g-g-g…!

That’s right! I’m a ghost!

Howah!

Sue! Come back to us!

Oh my… I just wanted to get some ink? I’ll leave the papers here… I hope you can take care of it for me!

Aaaaaaah, don’t look! Don’t look! She ghosted her way out of here again! Noooooo!

Calm down, it’s okay, calm down! Everything is okay!

Uwaaaah! I can’t take anymore! I can’t believeeeee anything anymoooooore!

We’ll have to settle this tomorrow… Give Pamela her ink, and for Sue’s sake, hope this was just a hallucination…

The Ghost They Always Knew

Pamela? Here’s the ink you asked for.

Hehehe, thank you. Now I can make some new products!

Hahaha, great…

Can I ask you something?

Why is Sue hiding behind you like that?

That’s the story, Pamela. Is it true, what you said before? That you’re a ghost?

Yes, it’s true! I’m a real ghost, 100%!

Aaaaaaah! No! Nooooo!

Oh dear, has Sue been triggered again? It’s alright, it’s all fine!

Hmmm… This might be a problem.

…?

P-Pamela?!

If you’re so scared of me already… What would happen if I really tried to scare you…?

Good. There’s nothing to fear. La-la-la!

Aaaah! I’m not scared… I’m not! Pamela is still Pamela! Pam-Pam-Pam-Pam…

Ghosts seem to be more common than I expected. I’ll need to remember this.

Pam-Pam-Pam-Pam…

We’re going, Sue!

Phew! Let’s… let’s go to the tent! I need a pick-me-up!

Tent Trivia Show

Very well. What do you propose?

Hahaha! Nothing less than a test of alchemy knowledge!

You’ve got guts, Suelle. Thinking you can compete with me in alchemy!

What? Me? Me?! This is the first I’m hearing about this!

It just suddenly came to me! You like to read a lot, right Lydie? So maybe you can give Plachta a run for her money!

I don’t have your confidence! I’m sorry, Plachta. I forfeit to you, of course.

No, I don’t accept that. Let’s do this. I like a good challenge!

No need to get quite so excited! Very well, I’ll do it…

Question 1! Is puni fluid acid or alkaline?

Alkaline.
Alkaline!

Correct! What does “alkaline” mean again?… Anyway, next question! Spines of an uni are always…

A multiple of four.

Another correct answer from you both! Who counted them, anyway? On to question three…

Many rounds of questions, answers and questionable Sue referee calls later…

Uwah, I knew I’d lose. There was no way I could hope to win!

Not at all, Lydie. I’m impressed. You’ve acquired much knowledge for your young age. You should be more confident. Your daily studies will surely pay off.

Plachta! Thank you. I’ll try to keep it up!

…Wow. I can never tell them that I didn’t know most of the answers to the questions I was asking.

Elsewhere in Merveille…

Big Girls and Big Ribbons

Hehe, you always seem to wear one… It’s kind of like your trademark now.

Oh my, what a lovely thing to say. I do think very carefully about my ribbons.

Hah, I figured as much! What things in particular do you look for?

Let’s see. The most important factor… is size!

Size…? Oh…

Hmph, yes, size is absolutely vital! Don’t you think bigger ribbons look cuter? Plus, when I wear a large ribbon, you can always tell it’s me, even from a distance! In order to stand out as an alchemist, a ribbon is absolutely essential!

Oh, uh, yeah, sure… Haha… Bigger is better…

…Uh, Firis? I can hear everything you’re saying.

What?! You mean I said all that aloud?!

…Very clearly. And now I know exa-actly what it is you really think of me. I know you think I’m a tiny little pixie who needs a big ribbon to make herself look taller than a young child!

Huh?! Hang on, Ilmeria! I never said anything like that!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and I think Sue's the first alchemist who is not okay with Pamela being a ghost.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I'm sure there have been alchemists who are also scared of ghosts, but I dunno if there have been any who are nearly as scared shitless of ghosts, no exceptions and no questions asked, like Sue is :iiam:

Anyway, next update will have a painting! Though it'll probably hit Saturday or Sunday or so.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 10, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, I think the rest who had encountered Pam while they are initially shocked or scared by the reveal tend to be okay with it by the end of the scene - while Sue is very not okay with this at all.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Girl's got some, coping, to do, no question about it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Isn't a church kind of a problem for the undead? Or is this not one of those consecrated ground-having faiths?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pamela does whatever she wants - and the churches give her no trouble.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I can't really say much about the faith of the church aside from "it exists I guess??"

If anything Pamela, a nun, runs shops in the churches in all three Mysterious games which you'd figure would violate some "thou shalt not serve both the goddess and money" verse but evidently none of her superiors care enough to crack down

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Maybe it's a nonprofit kind of enterprise, with the earnings devolved in charitable activities.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

At least in this game, Pamela's stated reason for running her shop is "get enough cash for a carriage ticket back home" since she's here because she hosed up and bought a ride to Merveille instead of her hometown. She ain't exactly running a charity out of the Church of Vegne, but hey I guess it's not quite a cutthroat for-profit operation.

At most only the twins were like "wow girl that takes some nerve" way back when but oh well!

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

I sometimes kind of wonder why Hagel and Pamela appear in, like, every Atelier game, honestly. Was that ever explained in an interview somewhere?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not really, though at this point Pamela is practically the mascot of the series. I think they just really like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I guess it just sorta happened? (L&S being the twenty-year anniversary game was also probably why they brought Hagel back here after he was absent from Ayesha through Firis.) Though for all their recurring appearances I think they've only actually previously been contemporaries during like, the Arland games.

Hell they tried bringing back Logy as the blacksmith in the first two Mysterious games and having Escha appear as a small child in the town Logy sets up shop in during Firis but it just, didn't stick given that the series already had two very established recurring characters.