Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Oneiros posted:

It’s an old problem, I remember reading an el reg article about it back in high school (pre 2006, was into bio).

https://genomebiology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13059-016-1044-7

lmao of course, at least it's not reformatting the actual dna sequence, you could still BLAST it and redo the gene labeling

better export to a .txt next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Oh man, the ads. When I lived in MoscoW the old, unchanging ads were still on and they were comical.

"Smoking asphyxiates you!" With a metro lady in uniform being attached by a cigarette.

They were great and, as much I appreciate a public transport system w/o ads, I kinda miss them.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

The Nastier Nate posted:

Being able to turn up or down the hvac with your phone without having to get out of bed is nice but don’t buy a unit that doesn’t have a manual control on the panel unless you’re prepared for some very hot or cold days.

Like is there a technical reason why you wouldn't be able to do something like that just using wifi?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

Does excel have a 'do not ever mistake anything for dates ever. No not ever. Clippy you rear end in a top hat I know you're in there cut that poo poo out I swear to God' option? Because gently caress I hate mis-dating half my data.

Also Clippy definitely gained sentience and still exists in all office code, waiting.

I wish it did.

The open source equivalent doesnt have that either afaict.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Hell I run into problems in excel where you write a simple if statement saying compare a value to 0 and for some reason the caculation of 1 - 1 returned 0.00000000000000000000001 so the formula to catch a 0 is WRONG!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hell I run into problems in excel where you write a simple if statement saying compare a value to 0 and for some reason the caculation of 1 - 1 returned 0.00000000000000000000001 so the formula to catch a 0 is WRONG!

there are studies out there on how floating-point arithmetic fuckery subtly distorts or completely invalidates tons of scientific research / published papers too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the cool thing about being a service worker with a regular schedule is when the small talk in line at the gas station is a real conversation because you see them every day for months and you hold up the line specifically to piss off the rear end in a top hat with a nice car

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tastykake posted:

well we have like 560 browsing right now so maybe there are a couple thousand of broke brained morons who post or lurk here

excuse you, some people are broke brained geniuses.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i prefer to say we have special brains

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

If you import a csv file it will helpfully trim off leading zeroes, and discard that information, because clearly you didn't put them in for a reason

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BULBASAUR posted:

What do you want to know about?

All this. We grow up with 'in soviet russia' crap and get the assumption it's nothing but miles of cottages with a Babushka making guel in an old helmet or dilapidated apartment blocks that smell of old borscht. It's interesting to get a look at how the culture actually is/was, especially how youth culture changed and how the establishment handled it. Also the corruption and illegal side jobs you mentioned. What sort of jobs? Drugs and chop shops?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

excuse you, some people are broke brained geniuses.

Radicalised by C-SPAM!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

at least we have the running man

https://twitter.com/MillionDollar/status/1092223697929134080

minus the murder for now

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Outrail posted:

All this. We grow up with 'in soviet russia' crap and get the assumption it's nothing but miles of cottages with a Babushka making guel in an old helmet or dilapidated apartment blocks that smell of old borscht. It's interesting to get a look at how the culture actually is/was, especially how youth culture changed and how the establishment handled it. Also the corruption and illegal side jobs you mentioned. What sort of jobs? Drugs and chop shops?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClXTAMdHwvWdmFyOlQmEtpQ

This dude is good for a look at 70s/80s USSR. He's a libertarian, so that colours his opinion of things a bit.

Some of the things he complains about (guaranteed housing but you have to wait 5 years!!) are the sorts of things you'd look at nowadays and go "wow that would be awesome to have".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

a software guy in that work gossip twitter thread floating around a few weeks back implied that a staggeringly high percentage of coders can’t code at all and just copy/paste off of google and stack overflow all day and collect a handsome paycheck for it

the thing is that most companies aren't doing anything remotely original, new, or interesting with software, so most of the time just copy-pasting other people's code together in different ways is more than enough

the software industry has no training and no standards, and barely any regulation, so people just fuckin run wild and no one cares

most of the time it's nothing important so who gives a crap. traditionally, the important stuff has all been siloed off into its own little mini-industries that haven't hired any outsiders for twenty years, so the incompetence is at least a different flavor. but now that wifi chips are cheap as hell and the bubble is throwing money at any huckster with an idea, newcomers are coming right down to the bottom of the barrel with a shovel and a drill to start digging

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The CCCP was fuckin rad, dude!

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

Excel's date autoformat has turbofucked a surprisingly large amount of genetics research.
people would be worried if they knew how many critical systems are held together by excel

which reminds me of a client I worked with, a very profitable tech company, and they had in the corner of their datacenter an entire rack wrapped in tape and signs that said "DO NOT TOUCH! DO NOT RESTART!" because the machines are running on defunct hardware with defunct software that literally nobody knows how to maintain

they'd be running for 25 years last I checked, their IT monkeys check the power supplies and backup batteries every now and then, but otherwise they respect the signs

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dead Beef posted:

people would be worried if they knew how many critical systems are held together by excel

which reminds me of a client I worked with, a very profitable tech company, and they had in the corner of their datacenter an entire rack wrapped in tape and signs that said "DO NOT TOUCH! DO NOT RESTART!" because the machines are running on defunct hardware with defunct software that literally nobody knows how to maintain

they'd be running for 25 years last I checked, their IT monkeys check the power supplies and backup batteries every now and then, but otherwise they respect the signs

It's cool that technology is indistinguible from magic already, but in the bad way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dead Beef posted:

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's cool that technology is indistinguible from magic already, but in the bad way.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Dead Beef posted:

i work for a company that handles literally millions of dollars in healthcare transactions via excel documents. nothing serious, but your insurance can be involved. it owns so much.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Super Bowl is the most dystopian thing I’ve ever see

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Dead Beef posted:

excel is tried and true and - evidently - can be used for anything. frankly it's the ones not using it that we should be worried about

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Giga Gaia posted:

i work for a company that handles literally millions of dollars in healthcare transactions via excel documents. nothing serious, but your insurance can be involved. it owns so much.

I know of at least one company that decided to invest hundreds of millions of dollars pushing into the American market based on a few weeks of calculations. I know for a fact the calculations involved multiple 'I pulled this number out of a hat, lol' assumptions. The numbers they based this very big decision on are essentially meaningless. This sort of thing happens on a week to week, if not day to day basis.

I can tell you who I worked for, but they're an industry leader.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Machine That Won The War but it's our reality.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/burnbegin/status/1092293033113120768

https://i.imgur.com/b0WQvUi.mp4

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Machine That Won The War but it's our reality.

I think about this story a lot

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I think about this story a lot

I also like the short story where the space empire loses their space war because they put a tech idiot in charge and he keeps deploying untested technology onto the battlefield.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I also like the short story where the space empire loses their space war because they put a tech idiot in charge and he keeps deploying untested technology onto the battlefield.

General Elon Musk

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

what's this called?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Socks4Hands posted:

what's this called?

"Superiority" by Arthur C. Clarke

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Socks4Hands posted:

what's this called?

The military industrial complex and the F35.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/bldgblog/status/895728956724322304?s=19

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

do people actually like andy warhol?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

some of the things he made were cool I thought

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
the moral of the story is always sanitize your input

narrator: "but they didn't"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Boomers

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

im on the net me boys posted:

some of the things he made were cool I thought

some interesting art and perspectives and he gave us Basquiat i guess? but a complete poo poo human

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Morphix posted:

My buddy is currently helping one of the devs on his team doing this exact thing. I guess she might of not been too forthright about her qualifications and after a year the company's looking to dump her. Now my buddy's stuck training her and doing his own work because shes' nice, and who cares they're making web software, so it's not life or death.

It's funny because in my head, I could never see myself outright lying about my own capabilities like that, but hey it's a fake it till you make it world so the gently caress do I know.

This world is probably loving amazing to anybody without scruples. Probably why nothing will ever really change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

all pop art during the Cold War was a CIA operation aimed at discrediting the Soviet Union's undeniable, unrivaled mastery of fine art