Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://mobile.twitter.com/HeSoDope/status/1091820480489697280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickMicale/status/1091814995476791296

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/kwabtweet/status/1091880316975923207

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

it's a loving spreadsheet very inefficiently shared across the internet

what's the "technology" part? the public key encryption? it's been around for decades

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlecZiupsnys/status/1091811304367640577

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
a clock.. inside?.. a toaster? and it requires a 20,000 mw plant to power? the technological revolution is here!!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
don't you luddites understand that you'll be able to know what time it is when your toasts pop??

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[in bitcoiner voice] Bring me the cold deer. I want to watch it expire, due to fiat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

regardless of the absolute stupidity of this tweet, he's also fundamentally and mathematically wrong. that 1 bitcoin is not a fixed percentage of the future economy because bitcoins keep getting lost and therefore 1 is a greater and greater percentage of his fantasy football economy.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

your money is only a fixed number if you never use it for anything

i know this particular flavor of brain damage isn't new or rare among bitcoiners, but i can't stop being baffled by it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
there's 17.5 million bitcoins currently

all of them are either currently in someone's possession or lost until magic computers break all of encryption forever

i just don't understand how they think that somehow the 3 or so not lost bitcoins get to be averaged out over the entire global money supply. like how does that even begin to make sense?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

its like the market cap, just take all the money in the world, divide it by the number of bitcoins and see how many trillions of lambos you can buy in the future with your 3 micro satoshis

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that didn't answer the question foolgoul

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boxturret posted:

that didn't answer the question foolgoul

all the bitcoin in the world are worth 41 billion, until you sell one, at which point the remaining bitcoin are worth about 20 billion, until you sell another...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

imagine if i sold a picture of pleasurekevin to myself for 10 trillion dollars

then i make 1000 more

i could say with all confidence and google certification that more than all the money in the world is invested in pictures of pleasurekevin

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Boxturret posted:

imagine if i sold a picture of pleasurekevin to myself for 10 trillion dollars

then i make 1000 more

i could say with all confidence and google certification that more than all the money in the world is invested in pictures of pleasurekevin

Congratulations, you just found out how every ICO after bitcoin/ethereum works.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EorayMel posted:

Congratulations, you just found out how every ICO after bitcoin/ethereum works.

:thejoke:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I am only crypto newbie.. just learning

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

i really dont get how so many people don't understand that something being rare does not automatically make it valuable. there are way less than 21m of TF2 hats that there will never be more of and only a few people suggested basing the world economy on the max head.

and even if cryptocurrency was adopted as world currency there is no reason for them to pick bitcoin specifically since anyone can create new blockchains with any number of coins. and even if they still did pick bitcoin the miners could vote to raise the limit.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so the world economy collapses and all money turns to ash...how do people get bitcoin? this is the thing i don't understand, it isn't like you have the holders then all the other bitcoins are just floating in the aether waiting to get picked up, all bitcoins belong to someone. in this scenario who in their right mind would accept a bucket of money dust for precious precious bitcoins.

idk they way some of them talk it seems like the economy would be the same now but only in bitcoins and they own a large percentage of itmy brain is melting tryig to understand themhlpme

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitconi market cap*globaleconomy/number of bcash-number of dogcoin+X/number of marrks=moon/mars-pluto+lambo^ross

solve for x

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boxturret posted:

so the world economy collapses and all money turns to ash...how do people get bitcoin? this is the thing i don't understand, it isn't like you have the holders then all the other bitcoins are just floating in the aether waiting to get picked up, all bitcoins belong to someone. in this scenario who in their right mind would accept a bucket of money dust for precious precious bitcoins.

idk they way some of them talk it seems like the economy would be the same now but only in bitcoins and they own a large percentage of itmy brain is melting tryig to understand themhlpme

if you had a total financial paralysis, i guess you could find yourself in a world where people don't trust checking accounts the way they used to, so credit cards and checks and money orders stop being widely accepted

but in that case, you would think barter and cash deals would be the order of the day, not weird internet money

i cannot think of a scenario where there is a working power grid, and things to buy and sell, but the cash in my wallet is worthless

if the cash in my wallet isn't valuable then it's probably time to rely on guns and clubs to steal things, rather than purchase them

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

CampingCarl posted:

and even if cryptocurrency was adopted as world currency there is no reason for them to pick bitcoin specifically since anyone can create new blockchains with any number of coins. and even if they still did pick bitcoin the miners could vote to raise the limit.

not just that, but even if it's bitcoin that's chosen, which fork of it will be The One True Money? there's over 100

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Suspicious posted:

not just that, but even if it's bitcoin that's chosen, which fork of it will be The One True Money? there's over 100

Bitcoin Cash BCash is the one true Bitcoin.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

KnifeWrench posted:

your money is only a fixed number if you never use it for anything

i know this particular flavor of brain damage isn't new or rare among bitcoiners, but i can't stop being baffled by it

they also seem to have left the text ", but it can be scammed away or rubberhosed out of you" off the end of they`re tweet

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

there's 17.5 million bitcoins currently

all of them are either currently in someone's possession or lost until magic computers break all of encryption forever

i just don't understand how they think that somehow the 3 or so not lost bitcoins get to be averaged out over the entire global money supply. like how does that even begin to make sense?

as the number of bitcoins goes down, you simply add more decimal places

that's literally their answer

more zeroes for everyone

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It's like the end of that animaniacs movie where the entire economy is powered by two ha'pennies shuffling around, except instead of ha'pennies it's satoshis

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

as the number of bitcoins goes down, you simply add more decimal places

that's literally their answer

more zeroes for everyone

i get that bit i just don't understand how the transition is going to work

can someone that goes on and posts in the reddit (kevin?) ask them for an explanation of how bitcoin is actually supposed to take over? please my brain si dyng

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
mining is already centralized. bitmain has overwhelming control of both the current mining power (because they own a lot of miners) and the intermediate-future potential mining power (because they have the best miner design and the most expertise in making them). the only real check on their absolute power over bitcoin is the health of the ordinary financial system: if bitmain seriously abused their power, people would have options. in a world where somehow bitcoin is the transaction network of record, who is going to stop bitmain from giving themselves a larger block reward or demanding extortionate fees when they can just 51% attack any altchains into oblivion?

...i mean the real answer is men with guns, who are not going to tolerate some random chinese company having total control of the world financial system

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

they seem to talk as if the economy will completely collapse and nobody will have a job, since all their fantasies have nocoiners able to do nothing but worship at the feet of hodlers in the hope of getting some scraps

i guess if you're a former bankster with a billion now-worthless fiat dollars, and you find someone in the rubble with a satellite phone to connect to the bitcoin satellites, you can trade your dollars for use as fuel in exchange for a satoshi or two

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

if everyone is dead and the world is on fire what is the use of bitcoin

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Boxturret posted:

its backed by math

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

hodl. cockroaches massively outnumber humans, and once they start adopting bitcoin, it'll go way past the moon

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

all the smartphones melted and the cockroaches hands are too tiny to do smoke signals properly

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Could Satoshi create a proof of work algorithm so difficult, he himself would not be able to mine?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

all the smartphones melted and the cockroaches hands are too tiny to do smoke signals properly

like all alleged problems with bitcoin, the lightning network will solve it. no, don't ask me how.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

spankmeister posted:

Could Satoshi create a proof of work algorithm so difficult, he himself would not be able to mine?

yes

next question

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I expect the blockchain space to continue to be a dumpster fire, with fast-talking salesmen promoting it as a fabulous advance in household heating, lighting and fragrance technology

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you really expect society to collapse, I'd say investing in farming lessons is a better bet than funny money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

if society collapses these fuckers would the first to be eaten by the roving cannibal gangs that formed up for the love of collective self-protection, assless chaps, and shared human organ stew recipes