Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Astro7x posted:

Not OP, but have you seen kids dvds from the library?

We have a cheap $20 DVD player for those things. Not putting them near the console I paid $400 for.

I hadn't considered that angle, but isn't the worst that could happen with a scratched disc is it just doesn't read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
So, resident goon deal-spotter extraordinaire Dr. Eldarion reported what seems like an amazing LG OLED deal:

LG OLED55B8PUA 55" Class B8 OLED 4K HDR AI Smart TV $1099.99

I have a 51" plasma now:

I feel like I can't go to 65" without the TV going from "one of the primary features of the living room" to "the only thing anyone would notice upon entering the living room." So, 55" seems about right.

I have some questions:

1.) What's the difference between the B8 and C8? What scenario would I see a difference? Because the C8 is many hundreds of dollars more.

2.) I see that they're also offering an E8 for $100 more; it's refurbished but has the same one-year warranty as the B8. Does anyone have experience getting a refurbished TV, especially through Beach Camera? That sucker sells for $2,300 on Amazon, so that seems like an even crazier deal.

3.) I see that the 2018 models don't have HDMI 2.1. What is that; does that matter? Is there a workaround?

Thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 2, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I believe the C8 just has a better processor, but otherwise the same? When I was doing my research the past couple weeks, I figured if I was getting an LG OLED Id just do the B8.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I hadn't considered that angle, but isn't the worst that could happen with a scratched disc is it just doesn't read?

In theory a poorly treated disc could explode inside the drive, but I would assume this is fairly unlikely at normal DVD playing speeds. I've only ever heard of that happening with DVD-ROM drives that spin discs at high speeds when reading data as fast as physically possible.

That said, kids library discs are garbage. Occasionally they'll bring home a CD that works completely, but 100% of the DVDs have been unplayable. If you're lucky they won't play at all, but the worst is when they play halfway through and then quit working in the middle of the movie and you have an inconsolable child.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Theres a non zero chance a kids disc from the library has gum stuck on it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The α9 video processor is in the C8, E8, and W8. The B8 has the old less powerful processor.

The more powerful processor is probably most useful for displaying non- 4K native material.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

At least in my experience, the disc isn't the issue. The tiny, uncoordinated, impatient hands shoving the disc into the player are.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Butterfly Valley posted:

Imagine some kid eating a peanut butter and jelly, taking that disc out of the DVD player and putting it back into the case. Then your kid takes it out and puts it in your console.

I have seen DVDs with stuff I can wipe off on the bottom of the discs. Usually I just wipe it off against my jeans, but when I had a kid, I decided that they were only allowed to use the cheap DVD player.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'm looking to hook up my TV to my computer over HDMI, but I need about 75ft. All I need is 1080p 60hz, so I'm not too bandwidth hungry. I did some research, and it looks like a CAT6 converter may be my best option. So if I buy, say, this monoprice extender with this CAT6 cable and just plug everything in it'll just work fine? Any extra steps or better options? The monoprice thing seems to have two different but similar holes, which is rapidly exiting my comfort zone.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Reading the description, you'll need two Ethernet cables.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

I'm looking to hook up my TV to my computer over HDMI, but I need about 75ft. All I need is 1080p 60hz, so I'm not too bandwidth hungry. I did some research, and it looks like a CAT6 converter may be my best option. So if I buy, say, this monoprice extender with this CAT6 cable and just plug everything in it'll just work fine? Any extra steps or better options? The monoprice thing seems to have two different but similar holes, which is rapidly exiting my comfort zone.

You'll need two identical Cat5E/Cat6 cables for that to work. I'm always a little leery of those inexpensive extenders, but the reviews look good.

There's also some other options:
"Active" HDMI cable that's about the same price as the above + 2 Cat5E with a little cleaner footprint. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12735
60ft cable similar to the above. I know you said 75ft, but this length is on sale right now for $27 so I thought I'd mention it. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 3, 2019

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

surf rock posted:

I feel like I can't go to 65" without the TV going from "one of the primary features of the living room" to "the only thing anyone would notice upon entering the living room."

You say that like it's a bad thing? :getin:

Comedy option is to demolish the fireplace to make room for a TV. I'll never understand this country's love affair with fireplaces.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Friends I need some advice and I do not know where to turn. A buddy of mine wants to sell me his Samsung un55js8500 for a good price, but I am worried that I can get a better, more modern TV for around the same amount (probably $500ish.) From what I can tell, this TV was pretty dope a few years ago, but reading a bit about it, the input delay is not so good and I can't really tell for sure if it has HDR support. My primary purpose for a TV like this would be gaming, do you guys think this would be a decent setup for the price? Either this or I was looking at the 55" TCL TV. Any advice would be appreciated, I have no experience buying a TV made in this century...

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
From what I've seen just browsing Craigslist and Facebook sell type groups, buying older TVs is basically never a good idea idea unless you're buying like the top tier of the last generation and you're getting an absolutely smoking deal.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

^^edit: Yes, that.

Baron posted:

Friends I need some advice and I do not know where to turn. A buddy of mine wants to sell me his Samsung un55js8500 for a good price, but I am worried that I can get a better, more modern TV for around the same amount (probably $500ish.) From what I can tell, this TV was pretty dope a few years ago, but reading a bit about it, the input delay is not so good and I can't really tell for sure if it has HDR support. My primary purpose for a TV like this would be gaming, do you guys think this would be a decent setup for the price? Either this or I was looking at the 55" TCL TV. Any advice would be appreciated, I have no experience buying a TV made in this century...

As a general rule, I would expect to pay substantially less for a used set than a new set of similar features. It looks like that Samsung was indeed a high-end set when introduced, but you can find a 55" Vizio P series or TCL 6 series for under $600 new fairly often and they'll come with a warranty and possibly improved features and performance.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cool guys thanks for the advice. I was kinda leaning in that direction anyway. I'm usually not so keen on buying used electronics, but since I've been out of the loop for a while I thought I would ask of people smarter than myself. I think I'm gonna pass on that one for now.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
B8 55inch 1099 65inch 1699

Ugh so tempting

Khorne
May 1, 2002

surf rock posted:

1.) What's the difference between the B8 and C8? What scenario would I see a difference? Because the C8 is many hundreds of dollars more.
Thank you!
C8 is brighter I think. With that said, I'd personally buy a B8.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure the only difference is the casing and the processor. It seems like something that would be trivially easy to google but I'm just gonna post my speculation in the thread instead of checking.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I have a neurosis about checking Facebook marketplace or buying/selling groups and getting irrationally angry at the stupid loving prices people are trying to sell their 5+ year old tvs for. I'm all for the second hand market and reusing/recycling wherever possible but please have some awareness of the value of things. There's so many examples of people who overpaid for a tv in the first place then trying to sell it for 20% less, when the same asking price literally buys a new tv of the same size. Then they get indignant when it's pointed out no-one wants to pay 200 for their 7 year old 32 inch tv with 5cm bezels.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That said, kids library discs are garbage. Occasionally they'll bring home a CD that works completely, but 100% of the DVDs have been unplayable. If you're lucky they won't play at all, but the worst is when they play halfway through and then quit working in the middle of the movie and you have an inconsolable child.

Pick up a bottle of Meguiars PlastX from an auto parts store. I do a quick buff on the worst library discs my wife brings home and they almost always play through.

Its my community service.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

Pretty sure the only difference is the casing and the processor. It seems like something that would be trivially easy to google but I'm just gonna post my speculation in the thread instead of checking.

LG even has a webpage describing the difference as well, the C8 has a better processor.... but whether youll notice a difference :shrug:. If you dont want to spend the money, the B8 is still an amazing TV and youll be happy with either.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Thoughts on the 75 inch Sony x850f?

Sony XBR75X850F 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2018 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WGL83J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RD5vCbGMDY582

Anyone with real world experience with it?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Im not sure if this is the right thread for this and apologize if not. I have a Samsung plasma that has started having this single line of flickering pixels. Input source doesnt matter. Ive tried googling but may be describing it poorly because the returns Im getting arent quite this. Has anyone had a similar issue and if so, any guidance?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A vertical strip like that means a poor connection at that part of the display. You can try applying pressure to that area of the bezel to try and reseat the connection but it's probably just an aging issue.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Reading the description, you'll need two Ethernet cables.

Ah, right, yes, thanks. That does make it a touch more unwieldy.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You'll need two identical Cat5E/Cat6 cables for that to work. I'm always a little leery of those inexpensive extenders, but the reviews look good.

There's also some other options:
"Active" HDMI cable that's about the same price as the above + 2 Cat5E with a little cleaner footprint. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12735
60ft cable similar to the above. I know you said 75ft, but this length is on sale right now for $27 so I thought I'd mention it. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757

I'll have to remeasure because 60ft will be really close, but that looks like a great deal, thank you. I will likely bite the bullet on the longer one anyway if it comes to that, since running one cord instead of two just sounds like a better time and the Cat6 solution isn't perfect or anything.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
huh, this greentoe thing is neat. offered 2k on a 65" c8, was accepted immediately. i think i should try again at 1800

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Anybody have an experience with the Vizio P series? It came up as a higher rated tv when I was looking at RTings review of the TCL 6 series. It generally hovers about an extra 150-170 dollars above the TCL 6 and was wondering if its worth it or if TCL is more recommended at this price point. (Comparing 65 inch ones.)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ammanas posted:

huh, this greentoe thing is neat. offered 2k on a 65" c8, was accepted immediately. i think i should try again at 1800

Two eyes, two TVs. :hai:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ammanas posted:

They were going for $1999 on slickdeals this weekend, so yeah you went too high.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Kithyen posted:

Anybody have an experience with the Vizio P series? It came up as a higher rated tv when I was looking at RTings review of the TCL 6 series. It generally hovers about an extra 150-170 dollars above the TCL 6 and was wondering if its worth it or if TCL is more recommended at this price point. (Comparing 65 inch ones.)

I don't think it's worth the extra $$$. Few picture quality differences, Roku interface is probably better, and the lack of TV tuner is a bummer for some usage. P-Series Quantum, on the other hand, is a big step up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

tetrapyloctomy posted:

No, I'm suggesting that he hasn't ruled anything out until he's considered cheap and easy options regarding the lighting issue. He's in a rental and he's talking about buying a 100 pound television that is six foot by four foot and fifteen inches deep, which sounds like a massive pain n the rear end to move down the road. A projector and an OLED with both suffer, and substantially, in direct light compared to an LED but any television almost seven feet diagonal is going to reflect a ton of light if there are any facing windows. Even if an LED ends up being the right choice, which it very well might, he should look into finding a way to decrease incident light.

Yeah a family member snapped my 65" 4k ks8000 in my move just by squeezing the bottom too hard so I'm hesitant to buy another tv while I'm renting (did own a place but am moving across the world). Can't imagine getting even bigger.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Krime posted:

Thoughts on the 75 inch Sony x850f?

Sony XBR75X850F 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2018 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WGL83J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RD5vCbGMDY582

Anyone with real world experience with it?

The 850 is great if you can't afford the 900, or another step up to OLED. To simplify this entire thread:
Budget: TCL
Midrange: Sony 850/900
Top: LG OLED

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

codo27 posted:

The 850 is great if you can't afford the 900, or another step up to OLED. To simplify this entire thread:

Cool. Thanks for the response. Just a drat shame the 850 to 900 jump is about $1k

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

codo27 posted:

Pretty sure the 850 is in fact garbage as it's the only IPS display in their lineup. Specifically the 75".

e: "fatally flawed" https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/05/23/sony-x850f-tv-review-fatally-flawed/#44dd7b7a174f

At that price point the 75 TCL 6 series should be better in every way.

More accurate:
Budget: TCL 6 series
Midrange: Sony 900F
Top: LG OLED C series or higher.

KS fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 5, 2019

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah a family member snapped my 65" 4k ks8000 in my move just by squeezing the bottom too hard so I'm hesitant to buy another tv while I'm renting (did own a place but am moving across the world). Can't imagine getting even bigger.

The broken television sucks, but that move sounds equal parts exciting and terrifying.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It seems Walmart is blowing out refurb'd OLEDs

$1750 65" -> https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-OLED6...type=10&veh=aff

$1150 55" -> https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-OLED5...type=10&veh=aff

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Buy a SquareTrade warranty if you get a refurb just to be safe.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S405 - down to $320 with a Rakuten account and the code SAVE15.

Today only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

TCL 55S405 - down to $320 with a Rakuten account and the code SAVE15.

Today only.

Keep in mind this is not the TCL model that often gets recommended in this thead (6-series). This is the 4-series, which is significantly inferior.