Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

MikeyTsi posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND

Just so you know, you don’t have to do this anymore. You seem like a good person, who is deserving of a loving relationship. On behalf of all goons, I give you permission to refer to your girlfriend without needing to make it all caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

null_pointer posted:

Just so you know, you don’t have to do this anymore. You seem like a good person, who is deserving of a loving relationship. On behalf of all goons, I give you permission to refer to your girlfriend without needing to make it all caps.
Haha, I always assumed that was an automatic filter.

My girlfriend

Apparently not.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Haha, I always assumed that was an automatic filter.

My girlfriend

Apparently not.

I think it was at one time, and people saw it and assumed everyone was doing it on purpose and started imitating it. Same thing with the filter that censored curse words like poo poo to "poo poo" and gently caress to "gently caress" - the filter was only on if you were logged out (for banner ad purposes), but newly registered people would assume you just couldn't curse here and would actually type them.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so your girlfriend is a honda

cant really blame you, i :swoon: for VTEC myself.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, so.

Over the past few months:
- Found out someone that's been a friend of mine for close to a decade coerced a girlfriend in to a threesome with another girl, then witnessed ANOTHER girlfriend get assaulted, did nothing to stop it, then continued to force the girl to go to the assaulter's place for parties and poo poo. So, severed that friendship, and it caused a bunch of inter-cast drama.
- As that poo poo was coming out and happening, found out ANOTHER friend of mine had sexually assaulted something like 16 women over the past decade. So I had to burn yet ANOTHER friendship.
- Tried for over a month to get information from the benefits department about whether or not they'll cover a medication I need to live. When they finally gave me the info, gave me less than 24 hours to find the rest of the information I needed to see if I have coverage for the gap, then refused to put me on insurance when I naturally wasn't able to do that in that time frame. Fortunately I have COBRA that'll keep me covered until next open enrollment.
- The above caused me to be like two weeks late on my meds since I needed to know what insurance I'd be billing before getting it filled.
- tl;dr, I hosed up and wasn't paying a secondary mortgage like I should and it's now in foreclosure. In order to get that fixed I have to assume the loan, which is a bunch of paperwork bullshit and waiting, all the while I'm sitting waiting to see if they're going to try to sell the home while I'm trying to get that fixed.
- All of the above has led to me relapsing. Well, had a year of not bleeding internally, right?
- On top of that, I suspect that the dealer hid the condition of the car I just bought, it looks like it might be loving losing oil. Going to try to do another inspection today to see if I can verify and further verify if they tried to hide poo poo from me to unload the car.

So basically everything sucks, I've got a poo poo-ton of stress happening in my life, which aggravates my medical condition. And I had to burn two of the main people I'd go to for support on this kind of stuff.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:( Goonspeed, busy guy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Sorry to hear it, man. Best of luck with everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat dude. That is really bad. I hope you make it through this rough stretch.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did a few things today:

Started some planting.

And installed a feeder for the birbs.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
That looks like a very nice feeder. The birbs will be pleased!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Faerunner posted:

That looks like a very nice feeder. The birbs will be pleased!

The birbs are assholes and have been ignoring it.

It's possible that the seed is stale, we're going to put some fresh stuff in there and see if we get more activity.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Just caught up on this thread from start to finish, and I've gotta say you're doing some awesome work. I hope that your current issues are only temporary.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Hitting a wall as far as trying to resolve the foreclosure issues, trying to see if I can get my credit limit extended so I can at least get it reinstated; that should give me enough breathing room to initiate probate, clear the title, transfer it to my name, then refinance so I can roll that HELoC in to the mortgage.

Buuut, that's not why I'm here, I'm here for:

Out with the old!

In with the new!

That took a lot longer than I was hoping, the power line they ran for the dishwasher was way too loving short, which made things a lot more complicated. The contractors that removed this dishwasher before I purchased it also lost the screw to the electrical plate, so I had to drive out to buy another one, and they also "helpfully" cut one of the power wires on the dishwasher side which made getting things connected up again a bit more of a challenge.

Anwyay, it's installed and I'm doing a test run to make sure it doesn't leak water everywhere and actually makes dishes clean. Nice advantage of this one is that it's got better spacing for the racks so I can actually fit my drat plates in the bottom.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I think I'm finally close to resolution on the foreclosure issues, I'll make a post about it if/when.

Got more of the house painted, replaced some ballasts for the kitchen light, and had to replace a light switch that took a poo poo. Also going through and organizing/getting rid of a bunch of poo poo as I prepare to try to refinance (assuming the above gets fixed). I'll post some pictures somewhat soon.

Sorry I've been so quiet lately, stress and depression due to the housing issues is a hell of a thing.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sooo, got a loan that should cover what I need to pull the HELoC out of foreclosure, at which point I can immediately take control of probate and close so I can clear and assume title.

Hope to have all this done by EoW.

Feeling a bit positive about things for once, hope to be doing updates again soon.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

MikeyTsi posted:

Sooo, got a loan that should cover what I need to pull the HELoC out of foreclosure, at which point I can immediately take control of probate and close so I can clear and assume title.

Feeling a bit positive about things for once, hope to be doing updates again soon.

Freaking awesome! That's great news.

I am a lurker to your thread but wanted to say I love watching the progress. It's been fun to read. :)

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

MikeyTsi posted:

Good luck, hopefully it gets done and you have more time to :justpost:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Reinstatement has been paid, probate attorney got a note from the foreclosure trustee to check in to make sure the foreclosure is fully closed, so I think I'm nearing the end of the "am I going to lose the house" phase.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Glad to hear it. Congratulations!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Glad to hear it man. I almost lost my house once and it’s a roller coaster to shitville. But my situation was my fault and the ultimate bailout and refinancing was actually a much better deal than we originally had. Anyway being able to take a breather and not have your mind immediately go to worrying about it feels great.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Latest dad birthday present:

(Got around to spending the gift card today)

Got some more painting done today, hopefully going to try out the new tool tomorrow and clean out the gutters.

Washing machine isn't draining today, super. Gave it another run attempt to see if it works.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MikeyTsi posted:

Latest dad birthday present:

(Got around to spending the gift card today)

Got some more painting done today, hopefully going to try out the new tool tomorrow and clean out the gutters.

Washing machine isn't draining today, super. Gave it another run attempt to see if it works.

Put Googly Eyes on it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm a fan of one giant googly eye.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Hi Michael,

I just talked to the trustee and they have closed the foreclosure file at the request of the servicer☺ Can we talk tomorrow or later this week to discuss next steps? Typically, in these situations, I close the probate.

Will also try to post an update of this weekend's activities a bit later.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:peanut: :peanut: :peanut: :peanut: :peanut:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
glad its working out pal.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yayyyy! That's got to be a huge weight off.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Still trying to figure out probate, I really don't want to pay someone $1300 to fill out a few forms.

I've got some things to do around the house to prepare for required inspection for refinance, so should be posting about that soon.

Here's a roll-up of stuff that I've done in the meantime:

When we last left our hero he'd just bought a new shopvac. This was pretty much immediately used to try to get the roof cleaned.

Here's some before pictures:

In progress. I'll need brooms with much longer handles to get to the rest of this, as I can't reach with my current ones and no way am I going to stand on that.

Who would've thought three trees could generate so much crap?

Better:

This is dumb as gently caress and I'm going to have to tear the whole mess apart to fix it:

This part is going to suck and is near the power feeds, so I'm going to mess with it later.

Supervisor Rileydog is on the jorb (he was actually QUITE upset that we were up on the roof and he was not up on the roof):

Some interesting fauna discovered in mass that was in the gutters:

All in all I filled 3 bags with just gutter crap from the shop vac, with another partial load in the vacuum. Most of the roof stuff we just swept off on the ground then shoveled in to the yard waste bin. There was a bunch of the "gutter guard" filler stuff in several of them that was totally useless and I've removed them.

Moving on. As you can probably guess, it's started getting rather a bit cold here in the PNW, so I pulled out and replaced the filters in the furnace,
(dirty filter)

and turned the thermostat back on. Furnace started cycle, heard it kick on the gas, then "fwoof", then,..... Shuts off in about 5 seconds.

poo poo.

Sure, I could call someone out, but that wouldn't be nearly adventurous enough, and I don't want to spend several hundred dollars. I mean, what's the worst that could happen you blow up the house from a gas leak, right?

So I did some reading. First thing I read about is the flame detector can get gunked up and stop reading properly, or just up and stops working. So lets pull that out and clean it.

Of course, it's a pain in the rear end to get to. Pulled it

and went down to the hardware store to get some emory cloth. Rubbed it down real good and reinstalled.

Still busted. gently caress.

Pulled it again, and took it back to the hardware store. When I got there, person was absolutely insistent that those "never go bad", and sells me an igniter. Reinstall sensor, pull and replace igniter. Still nothing.

Time for some testing. I pull the covers off, and cause a cycle to start while holding down the safety. Furnace kicks on fan, kicks on gas, kicks on igniter, and gas catches.

On two of the three channels. Guess which one the flame sensor is on?

I look around and notice that I can in fact pull the unit that dispenses gas and flame without having to pull the gas line, so I set about doing that.

Hmm, actually a bit dirty in here.

That's a bit better.

Got the unit out and went to town on the flame spreaders with a wire brush. Looking a bit cleaner now.

Reinstall is reverse of removal with more swearing

Start another cycle, and:

Success! Now we won't freeze to death.

All in all, I saved myself a few hundred bucks (I'm kind of annoyed being out $60 for the igniter, but whatevs), and I've got a new skill.

Bonus: I also cook on occassion. In this case, it was gorgonzola mashed potatoes and queso for my contributions to family Thanksgiving.

pounds
of
mashed
potatoes

It's been a pretty successful recipe so far, people rave about them.

And some queso. First we cook the meat in the slow cooker (this time I decided I wanted to try shredded chicken):

Then some magic happens, and then we get this.

The changes turned out pretty great, and I got some ideas on how to improve it further for next time.

For my annual Friendsgiving, I brined a turkey, then stuffed with aromatics and baked it in the oven, made gravy, and two types of dressing. If I can find a cold smoker I think I'm going to try my hand at smoking one after brining next year.

That's all for now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

Some interesting fauna discovered in mass that was in the gutters:

:allbuttons: are those tadpoles or mushrooms????

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

peanut posted:

:allbuttons: are those tadpoles or mushrooms????

Doubt it's either of those, there isn't standing water and I have no clue how a frog would get up there.

Fakedit: snail/slug (most likely slug)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could be tree frogs? I've seen slug eggs, they're tiny.

e. no, pacific tree frogs lay in water, in the spring.

e. yeah those have to be slug eggs, but they're huge, or my sense of scale is way off

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 13, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

op eat the eggs

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

peanut posted:

op eat the eggs

14" thread is >

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Welp.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wind?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, this happened a few weeks ago during the major wind storm. Here's some pictures of what happened.

So, nothing really too bad, other than tearing my gate off the hinges.

Fortunately I noticed before I let the dogs out in the backyard.

After I noticed that and we decided to go to bed for the evening, I heard water running in the back hallway. I considered the possibility that maybe the wind damaged a line (which would be weird because everything is underground), so I started turning stuff off to try to locate the source. Ultimately I failed, which led me to think it was a cold water line, so I went outside to cut down the feed to the house.

Went back inside, still hear water flowing?

And my water is still working?

Wait,.....

Welp. Fortunately my neighbors didn't seem to notice that I shut off their water for about 10 minutes.

Turned off MY feed and water no longer running.

Orginal plan was to just wait til morning then call someone out to find the leak.

But then I had a thought. Isn't there a faucet outside? Right next to where a large gate just got torn off its hinges?

Yup. Fortunately it didn't get damaged, the gate just hit it enough to crush the cover and move the knob to get water flowing. I tightened that back up and turned the water feed back on, no more noise.

Soooo, that was a fun adventure to have at 3am.

Next up, let's get the loving gate put back up so I can let the dogs back in to the back yard.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I love that psychadelic faucet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This was me two years ago when we had 65 mph gusts blow through.

The biggest pain in the rear end was getting a permit to repair the two runs of fence. Even though I was only replacing posts and re-attaching the panels.

(I lie. Getting the concrete from the old posts removed sucked rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

This was me two years ago when we had 65 mph gusts blow through.

The biggest pain in the rear end was getting a permit to repair the two runs of fence. Even though I was only replacing posts and re-attaching the panels.

(I lie. Getting the concrete from the old posts removed sucked rear end)

I couldn't remove the concrete for most of them when I did the back run of fence. Fortunately the last install was done without any concept of spacing, so I was able to just space the posts with some order when I did it and avoided the ones that were stuck in the ground.

I've got a busted post on the side that I've got braced for now, fortunately 99% of our wind is W-E so the windstorms haven't knocked it down. Since the rest of the posts and rails are fine (the pickets were installed lovely so I'll eventually replace them) I'll have to actually remove the concrete in that one so I can re-use the hole.