Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I am excited about your new externally venting kitchen hood!!! It has been surprising to learn that so many people have lovely hoods or none at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Installing/having someone install an externally venting hood has been #1 on our list of things to do since we got our gas stove installed.

I could maybe do it myself, I guess...

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Mine just fans the air and smoke into my face.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My old cabinets couldn't accommodate a range hood without thousands of dollars of carpentry work so I just had a round vent fan put in the ceiling with a vent through the roof. Totally worth it - now I get to sear steaks without smoking out the whole house for three hours.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Image, as i got the vent ducts up today. Still need to do cleaning, touchup (caulking) and add a backsplash behind the stove, but I'm pretty happy with it. If you expand the image you can see where i put the first hole... and managed to find the header for the windows. I drilled tiny holes horizontally to make sure I didn't find a stud, but neglected to consider the window header. It's not DIY if you don't completely gently caress it up on the first try.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

extravadanza posted:

Image, as i got the vent ducts up today. Still need to do cleaning, touchup (caulking) and add a backsplash behind the stove, but I'm pretty happy with it. If you expand the image you can see where i put the first hole... and managed to find the header for the windows. I drilled tiny holes horizontally to make sure I didn't find a stud, but neglected to consider the window header. It's not DIY if you don't completely gently caress it up on the first try.

Not optimal to have the pipe exposed, but painted wall color it's barely noticeable. And TOTALLY worth it to have a real vent. Good job.

Nice looking hood too. Zephyr?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

Not optimal to have the pipe exposed, but painted wall color it's barely noticeable. And TOTALLY worth it to have a real vent. Good job.

Nice looking hood too. Zephyr?

Yeah I agree, unfortunately I couldn't go straight into the exterior wall in that corner because there's remnants of a chimney (very old home that had a fireplace in the kitchen) that is actually housing the water heater vent already. To be honest none of my house has a 'finished' look because of the age. For example, I don't have a pantry in my kitchen so I use freestanding pine shelving from Ikea, so the piping really doesn't stick out that much.

It's xtremeair brand. I actually tried to buy a heavily price reduced scratch and dent 'good' quality zephyr hood from Amazon warehouse but they couldn't find it in their warehouse so they cancelled it. ☹️

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

extravadanza posted:

It's xtremeair brand. I actually tried to buy a heavily price reduced scratch and dent 'good' quality zephyr hood from Amazon warehouse but they couldn't find it in their warehouse so they cancelled it. ☹️

Interesting, it's a visual clone of a Zephyr down to the buttons, which is why I though it was one to begin with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not sure if correct thread but does anyone have input / suggestions on a lawnmower / weed eater?

Shaded yard in New England only about 1/4 - 1/3 acre that will be mowed (rest is woods).

The existing lawn in our new house is great and I want to keep it up. Given the above we don't need something exactly heavy duty or self propelled. Just wondering if whatever cheap and working on Craigslist is enough or if people have strong feelings on specific brands etc to choose / avoid.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

That Works posted:

Not sure if correct thread but does anyone have input / suggestions on a lawnmower / weed eater?

Shaded yard in New England only about 1/4 - 1/3 acre that will be mowed (rest is woods).

The existing lawn in our new house is great and I want to keep it up. Given the above we don't need something exactly heavy duty or self propelled. Just wondering if whatever cheap and working on Craigslist is enough or if people have strong feelings on specific brands etc to choose / avoid.

I’d go for a gas mower and an electric trimmer.

My Honda mower is going strong on 15 years with nothing but an oil drain/refill a couple times a summer. Still starts first pull, every time. I won’t ever buy another brand at this point.

I also really like my Ryobi 40v electric trimmer. It’s way less fuss than a 30cc gas thing, feels just as strong, and I don’t have to keep a separate tank of premix fuel around.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some rabbits would be nice

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

eddiewalker posted:

I also really like my Ryobi 40v electric trimmer. It’s way less fuss than a 30cc gas thing, feels just as strong, and I don’t have to keep a separate tank of premix fuel around.

I've got a 40v Kobalt mower and trimmer which both work just fine.

Edit sorry, it's the 80v ones.

immoral_ fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 4, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

eddiewalker posted:

My Honda mower is going strong on 15 years with nothing but an oil drain/refill a couple times a summer.

If you actually do that a couple times a summer you can keep nearly any junk heap mower running. I'm not saying don't buy a Honda, but they are designed to be abused and still last as long as yours. You've basically made your mower immortal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This downfall of snow we got (50cm in a day and more just keeps coming) makes me want a snow blower.

I just got done showeling snow using my trusty snow sled, but it just keeps coming, this morning it looks like I hardly done anything. So after work today I know what I got ahead of me...

The only cure for snow is a cozy fire.

I have to say I am really surprised at this axe by the way. I made the shaft myself from arctic birch (the local traditional material, hickory has taken over though on new axes) and I made it wrong, the S-shape is supposed to be inverted. It was my first axe shaft I made so I got confused but it still works despite being the wrong way around.

The axe head I got for a few euros and even being an all-round style forest axe, a jack of all trades axe, it splits logs better than my dedicated Gränsfors splitting maul. It's just so easy to go out and split firewood with this thing. I guess a big factor is that it's a lot lighter so maybe the Gränsfors technically splits logs better (I can't tell if it does though), it's so much heavier that the work is a lot more effort. I feel a bit cheated now with the Gränsfors.

Also the difference between the hickory handle on the gränsfors vs the birch handle is noticeable. The hickory is quite more durable of course, but the birch doesn't transmit the impact back through the handle so feels nicer to use.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

peanut posted:

I am excited about your new externally venting kitchen hood!!! It has been surprising to learn that so many people have lovely hoods or none at all.

I... what? If a hood doesn't vent externally, where does it go?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are some that blow it through a filter and then back into your face. The bottom of microwaves that go over the oven have that kind, but there are standalone ones too. They all do nothing

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Anne Whateley posted:

There are some that blow it through a filter and then back into your face. The bottom of microwaves that go over the oven have that kind, but there are standalone ones too. They all do nothing
This is a common way for these to be installed, but it's entirely possible to vent most microwave ducting out the rear, through the wall, to the outside.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vulture Culture posted:

This is a common way for these to be installed, but it's entirely possible to vent most microwave ducting out the rear, through the wall, to the outside.
Or upwards through the cabinet. This forum for some reason really hates/misunderstands over the oven microwaves. I've never installed one that didn't have multiple options for venting.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Motronic posted:

If you actually do that a couple times a summer you can keep nearly any junk heap mower running. I'm not saying don't buy a Honda, but they are designed to be abused and still last as long as yours. You've basically made your mower immortal.

Dunno. Growing up we went through a random Sears mower every couple of years, even though my parents always overpaid for the “maintenance and tuneup package.” It just felt like mowers got jankier quicker, and I spent a lot more time endlessly yanking the cord.

Everyone’s got anecdotes. This is mine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks all. I like the idea of an electric trimmer at the least, I've always hated fiddling with the gas powered ones and having to keep a different stock of fuel on hand as well. Any particular advice on those? I am buying some DeWalt 20v stuff for the shop eventually, so could go with one that uses the same battery packs, but I haven't committed to that yet so still looking at options.

Pros / cons on an electric lawnmower? Buying one new seems pretty pricey and I'm not sure how they will hold up 4-5 yrs down the line vs a bog standard middling quality gas mower. Again, my yard is fairly small and with our shade / weather, it's not gonna need to get cut more than probably 10-20 times per year.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That Works posted:

Any particular advice on those?

Nothing particular on models, but I'm told square twine does a better job at cutting tougher greenery while circular/oval will give a neater cut, so perhaps have a few varieties on hand.

That Works posted:

Pros / cons on an electric lawnmower? Buying one new seems pretty pricey and I'm not sure how they will hold up 4-5 yrs down the line vs a bog standard middling quality gas mower. Again, my yard is fairly small and with our shade / weather, it's not gonna need to get cut more than probably 10-20 times per year.

Pros: cheaper, lighter, quicker to set up, in UK usually considered go-to for small/medium gardens
Cons: cables, wider range of build quality, hassle for long or large gardens

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

That Works posted:

Thanks all. I like the idea of an electric trimmer at the least, I've always hated fiddling with the gas powered ones and having to keep a different stock of fuel on hand as well. Any particular advice on those? I am buying some DeWalt 20v stuff for the shop eventually, so could go with one that uses the same battery packs, but I haven't committed to that yet so still looking at options.

When I had an electric mower for my small yard it was great for the first year, not great by the end of the second year. It ended up needing to be charged halfway through mowing in year three and end of year two. Gas mower was just less hassle in my opinion.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Can we talk snow blowers here too. I am looking at an old Ariens, it's probably from the 1980s, it no longer has the original motor but instead a Briggs & Stratton 10hp motor. Are these old beasties still good? I generally trust older machines more than new ones, as long as they haven't been tortured.

Seller wants 640€ for it which seems a bit high, 450-500€ I think if it's in good shape and I guess an older machine like this is of higher build quality than a new one (they've had many decades to rationalize the design since).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I would never personally go for a battery operated mower, at least not until we have some fancy future power cells.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

If you’re mowing a small, flat lawn, have you considered a good quality push mower? Our lawn is smaller than yours (a bit under 1/10th of an acre), but it’s quick to use. No fuel reserve to keep, very little noise, no startup hassles- it basically gets rid of all the reasons why I can’t just go do the lawn right now.

I’m not sure how practical it would be for a larger lawn, but it’s genuinely more pleasant to deal with than a gas mower if you oil and sharpen it each season.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

If you’re mowing a small, flat lawn, have you considered a good quality push mower? Our lawn is smaller than yours (a bit under 1/10th of an acre), but it’s quick to use. No fuel reserve to keep, very little noise, no startup hassles- it basically gets rid of all the reasons why I can’t just go do the lawn right now.

I’m not sure how practical it would be for a larger lawn, but it’s genuinely more pleasant to deal with than a gas mower if you oil and sharpen it each season.

I had actually been thinking of that also and I do think that the lawn is about the right size / maintenance level that a reel mower wouldn't be a detriment.

Looking at new decent ones though the prices were a good bit more than a used decent gas mower on craigslist so I hadn't really thought much on them since. Maybe I should reconsider.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Or upwards through the cabinet. This forum for some reason really hates/misunderstands over the oven microwaves. I've never installed one that didn't have multiple options for venting.

Because they're awful and I am totally willing to write off 100% of them based on our lovely one. I simply don't see how they could produce enough draft without being super loud. Ours is loud and middling, and despite a 20A appliance outlet being standard they all (in my cursory filter of the plug type) seem to be 15A. Once you reduce the capacity for the fan and lights you are left with an underpowered microwave.

So to summarize:
Loud
Poor performance on the fan
Poor performance on the microwave

gently caress em.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Cooked up some pad Thai yesterday with my new vent hood and had my wife head into the kitchen to see if it worked. She was unable to tell that a bunch of fish sauce and shrimp was sauteed recently at high heat. Drastic improvement over the old microwave 'vent'!

Also re:microwave vent chat. You really can't expect a non-outside-vented microwave to deal with cooking smoke and smells. That's not what it does. It just sucks the hot air from the pan and filters out some of the grease. I've cooked with and without a microwave fan and there is a big difference in the grease accumulation in the kitchen even if it's not sending the air outside.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

extravadanza posted:

Cooked up some pad Thai yesterday with my new vent hood and had my wife head into the kitchen to see if it worked. She was unable to tell that a bunch of fish sauce and shrimp was sauteed recently at high heat. Drastic improvement over the old microwave 'vent'!

Also re:microwave vent chat. You really can't expect a non-outside-vented microwave to deal with cooking smoke and smells. That's not what it does. It just sucks the hot air from the pan and filters out some of the grease. I've cooked with and without a microwave fan and there is a big difference in the grease accumulation in the kitchen even if it's not sending the air outside.

Ours vents outside.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Some renovation-chat:

Our basement flooded last week. So I'm ripping up all the flooring, the sub-flooring, and a bunch of dry-wall. In order to get to a lot of the sub-flooring, I've had to tear down a couple of walls. And a couple more. At this point I've had to rip so much out just to dry it out, that it's turned into a full-on renovation.

The long and short is the (formerly) finished basement is basically down to the studs.

My question: What should I think about putting in now that I have access to the wall cavities? I was thinking some conduit in places for future upgrades of wires/cables, but that's about all I got. And even that is difficult, as the house is supported mainly out of steel I-beams. There's no running conduit through those. I can get around them in places, though.

Follow-up linked question: Please tell me your suggestions for ceilings in the basement. I am dying to get rid of the lovely drop-ceilings the PO put in... but honestly I can't find any better solution. I may be able to attach furring strips and put up a drywall ceiling, but then I lose access to cables and junction boxes that are currently scattered throughout.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

My question: What should I think about putting in now that I have access to the wall cavities? I was thinking some conduit in places for future upgrades of wires/cables, but that's about all I got.

What else is there in walls but cables, pipes, and insulation? Maybe some pockets for smart devices?

And even that is difficult, as the house is supported mainly out of steel I-beams. There's no running conduit through those. I can get around them in places, though.

You can drill through the webbing of I-beams, structural engineer / code compliance notwithstanding.

Follow-up linked question: Please tell me your suggestions for ceilings in the basement. I am dying to get rid of the lovely drop-ceilings the PO put in... but honestly I can't find any better solution. I may be able to attach furring strips and put up a drywall ceiling, but then I lose access to cables and junction boxes that are currently scattered throughout.

A drop ceiling is entirely a compromise to allow easy access to things within it, so either keep it or lose easy access to things within it. I'm not really following the calculus on this one. Maybe there's nicer looking ones? Or you could do a solid ceiling with an abundance of access panels?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some renovation-chat:

Our basement flooded last week. So I'm ripping up all the flooring, the sub-flooring, and a bunch of dry-wall. In order to get to a lot of the sub-flooring, I've had to tear down a couple of walls. And a couple more. At this point I've had to rip so much out just to dry it out, that it's turned into a full-on renovation.

The long and short is the (formerly) finished basement is basically down to the studs.

My question: What should I think about putting in now that I have access to the wall cavities? I was thinking some conduit in places for future upgrades of wires/cables, but that's about all I got. And even that is difficult, as the house is supported mainly out of steel I-beams. There's no running conduit through those. I can get around them in places, though.

Dunno, something like this for a concept?
https://www.armstrongceilings.com/commercial/en-us/commercial-ceilings-walls/woodworks-grille-tegular-ceiling-tiles.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can we talk snow blowers here too.

Absolutely yes! But it's not a machine I've ever used.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

That ceiling is dope.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a thread for smart home type stuff? I picked up a Philips Hue kit yesterday to tie in to my Alexa and Harmony system. So far so good, but as I expand this Hue system I'm going to want to replace the old wall switches. I've heard smart switches and smart bulbs can cause conflicts, so what are my options if I want to be able to control say my old ceiling fan fixture with hue bulbs from a dual gang box?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a thread for smart home type stuff? I picked up a Philips Hue kit yesterday to tie in to my Alexa and Harmony system. So far so good, but as I expand this Hue system I'm going to want to replace the old wall switches. I've heard smart switches and smart bulbs can cause conflicts, so what are my options if I want to be able to control say my old ceiling fan fixture with hue bulbs from a dual gang box?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963 is the thread.

You can get standalone switches that control Hue bulbs wirelessly(*). Generally people (myself included) do smart switches so that the usual control affordances are present, and so that they don’t have to buy 16 smart bulbs for their basement ceiling lights.

Fans are a complicated case, depending a lot of how specifically the house and fan are wired. I’d guess you’re best hard-wiring the light portion of the switch on and then using the Hue-specific switch.

(*) Philips Hue Smart Dimmer Switch with Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0167Z0P3I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_azzwCb2X6W8AD

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks, that switch should work well for what I need. Ceiling fan wise I think this might finally be excuse enough to replace it, and go with something that can have fan speed controlled remotely. For most of our other rooms I think upgrading to Lutron switches for the main fixtures as needed with Hue bulbs for lamps will be good enough.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
My furnace is celebrating its 20th birthday this year :toot:

Unfortunately the draft inducer motor died last October, so I had to replace it. More unfortunately, the new motor is now on its last legs, after only 4 months. What could cause a draft inducer to die so quickly? Should I try to save this old furnace, maybe by re-replacing the motor and trying a new control board, or something? Or should I write off this furnace and get a new one?

Details: It's a Goodman GMNT060-3 furnace, and the motor is a FASCO Inducer Motor 77-161-000. The new motor's fan spun freely when I got it, but now it's grinding against the housing during part of its revolution, which is also how the old one died. I've lived in this condo for 2 years, so I don't know the history before that. I've been replacing the filters regularly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Details: It's a Goodman

No, time for a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Unfortunately the draft inducer motor died last October, so I had to replace it. More unfortunately, the new motor is now on its last legs, after only 4 months. What could cause a draft inducer to die so quickly? Should I try to save this old furnace, maybe by re-replacing the motor and trying a new control board, or something? Or should I write off this furnace and get a new one?

Details: It's a Goodman GMNT060-3 furnace, and the motor is a FASCO Inducer Motor 77-161-000. The new motor's fan spun freely when I got it, but now it's grinding against the housing during part of its revolution, which is also how the old one died. I've lived in this condo for 2 years, so I don't know the history before that. I've been replacing the filters regularly.

When I bought my house, it had a cast iron tankless hot water boiler for heat and domestic hot water. I had to replace it in 2014 because the burner flame had eroded entirely through the refractory clay burner chamber. The guy installing it showed me the manufacturer's plate, it was made in 1967. :toot: