Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I preface this statement by mentioning that when I get to a battle late and night and don't want to stay up to finish it I just pause the game till the morning. However that is not the majority of time I have spent with the game. I have 2037 hours with the game... I kinda like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

holy cow. I have less time with XCOM 2, and I have played an unhealthy amount of XCOM 2.

I usually play a company until they can get the good endings. I feel I owe that to what boys make it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
game feels like it should be more popular than it is, but I guess those who like it...like it a lot (350 hours with some idling)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think it’s too difficult to ever have mainstream popularity. That’s a good thing though. We need more devs willing to make exactly
What a niche audience wants; instead of making generic games for the lowest common denominator.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

http://battlebrothersgame.com/warriors-of-the-north-dlc-announcement/

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Different origins to pick for your company, each with different starting characters, equipment and circumstances, as well as special rules that impact your campaign from beginning to end

I never knew I needed this before now but I love it.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Would quite like to maybe fight these new dudes on something other than a featureless field tbh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, that sounds fantastic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want there to be an origin that's "sole survivor" where you start with only one bro but that bro has randomized lategame equipment, and also you start with no gold. That bro has a unique trait where he's you, so he costs zero upkeep (but still eats) but also if he dies you lose the game.

You're immediately faced with the choice to try and do a few contracts with no backup, or sell your gear so you can set up a starter company right off the bat. Later, you're faced with the choices of whether or not to keep putting yourself in harm's way or keep yourself in reserve. There could be events where if you leave yourself out of combat too many times it drops your bros' morale because they think they've got a coward leading them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And you start the game with a random injury like collapsed lung or missing eye.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I present to you, the Beggar that almost could:

vyelkin posted:

I always wanted the player character to be implemented sort of like a Tropico president where you pick a couple of traits and get bonuses and penalties based on that. So if you play a former graverobber you'd find more graverobber recruits and get better loot from undead locations but would be less likely to get Secure Cemetery contracts or something like that.
So this is pretty much exactly what I wanted, except it's about the company not the captain.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

YASSSSSS. I love that they have gone from "game's done, sales were OK but we're moving on, to "okay, here's a slight free DLC" to "here's a nice paid expansion" to "here's another expansion". I hope this game is making them mad money, I know I have gotten WAY more than my money's worth out of it.

New beginning scenarios is one the biggest additions for me. So sick of knifing hoggart to death every new company.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Disgusting Coward posted:

Would quite like to maybe fight these new dudes on something other than a featureless field tbh.

It would be very easy for them to model some snow dunes etc to add to snow maps for some more terrain.

I hope at least some of the different backgrounds are really weird in some way, I'm thinking of how much fun FTL was with its different starting ships.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Looking good, the origins change seems amazing.

Kinda wish they'd included a new crisis, but you can't get everything.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Wizard Styles posted:

I present to you, the Beggar that almost could:

I always wanted the player character to be implemented sort of like a Tropico president where you pick a couple of traits and get bonuses and penalties based on that. So if you play a former graverobber you'd find more graverobber recruits and get better loot from undead locations but would be less likely to get Secure Cemetery contracts or something like that.
So this is pretty much exactly what I wanted, except it's about the company not the captain.

Oh whoops my finger slipped in the Editor and removed his asthma.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Gridlocked posted:

Oh whoops my finger slipped in the Editor and removed his asthma.
I was tempted to do that, but I'll make him the best swordsman an Asthmatic Beggar with 80 base Fatigue can be.

Which is a fairly mediocre swordsman, but I will help him reach those heights of mediocrity.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Alright, guys, I just took the plunge and started over. Zero regreWHAT THE gently caress IS AN ALP gently caress

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Holy poo poo that new DLC sounds DOOOOOOPE

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Alright, guys, I just took the plunge and started over. Zero regreWHAT THE gently caress IS AN ALP gently caress

The secret to easily defeating Alps is to give each guy a dog. The dogs will quickly and easily kill the nightmares each turn leaving your guys free to move in on the Alps. Until you can afford that; don't travel around at night.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
oh by the way modders have figured out how to decrypt the game files so now there are mods

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Sperglord Firecock posted:

oh by the way modders have figured out how to decrypt the game files so now there are mods

The improved famed items one is really fun. Encouraged me to try a few novel builds to make use of the weapons I found.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
whoops; wrong thread

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

I really really want to start a new campaign with a highly increased chance for famed items spawning. Currently crushing through the second crisis and I only have two famed weapons (and a few pieces of armor).

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

I really really want to start a new campaign with a highly increased chance for famed items spawning. Currently crushing through the second crisis and I only have two famed weapons (and a few pieces of armor).

Game quality drops after crisis 1 and is awful at crisis 2.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah I still have a lot to do, like the Black Monolith, but after you get a few greatswords with indomitable every fight is a massacre.

Excluding Hexen and Alps. No loving way am I taking a contract where I have to swap all my gear around to be effective.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gridlocked posted:

I'm really hoping that the newly opened mod scene manages to deal with this. Really it just needs some higher tier enemies of certain types to exist, and for chaff to be removed from late game fights (after a certain point orc young, bandit raiders etc. are pretty worthless). The game needs to scale better without relying on putting you up against 30+ enemies every fight.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

Yeah I still have a lot to do, like the Black Monolith, but after you get a few greatswords with indomitable every fight is a massacre.
The problem is there's almost nothing new to do before the Monolith/Goblin City/Kraken. Just grinding.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm really hoping that the newly opened mod scene manages to deal with this. Really it just needs some higher tier enemies of certain types to exist, and for chaff to be removed from late game fights (after a certain point orc young, bandit raiders etc. are pretty worthless). The game needs to scale better without relying on putting you up against 30+ enemies every fight.

Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't be doable. The hard part would be adding difficulty without injecting a lot of annoying enemies like alps/hexen. I suppose the economy is a factor in not just shoving 12 bandit leaders at you but by that point there isn't a ton to buy anyways.

Skill that buffs to hit in a radius maybe, give it to bandit leaders so raiders aren't as worthless.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The funny thing too is that there are higher-tier enemies that appear in groups like that, I'm thinking of hedge knights and master archers and swordmasters, that kind of thing, but they appear so rarely that by the time you're encountering them it'll be one of them plus a normal bandit group, and it's no problem because one extra tough enemy isn't a big deal.

For your lategame+ challenge you could easily be running into bandit groups with like 3 master archers, 3 hedge knights, a couple bandit leaders, and a swordsmaster plus some raiders and marksmen to fill out their lines, and that might actually be a challenge for a lategame company, but instead it's "oh, twenty bandits and there are three leaders this time instead of two".

I mean yeah you would be completely loaded with good gear if you were constantly running into fights like that, but by the time you're hitting fights like that you're loaded with good gear anyway and money isn't really a problem anymore, it's just something you use to build up a huge buffer so you can buy uniques when you see them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

RabidWeasel posted:

Frankly I think the 18man mod will actually make it a bit better.

The stupidly oversized ones like 28 dudes is dumb; but 18 gives you a good number in the field for post crisis 1 management.

At least until someone makes a scaling mod that fixes the mob scaling issue.

Having Orc Young and Bandit Raiders in fights is good you want chaff to fight as it makes your guys seem more powerful and exciting; and it makes seance to not fight huge swarms of Tomb Guard and Bandit Leaders. The issue in late game fights lies in the number of mobs it spawns meaning you have a gently caress tonne of chaff AND a high number of tough guys.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The game should just start upgrade the gear/level of human opponents after the first crisis. The rational being after such a large military conflict there are more experienced soldiers who turn to banditry when they get unemployed, and there’s a glut of weaponry and armour on the market.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The Lord Bude posted:

The game should just start upgrade the gear/level of human opponents after the first crisis. The rational being after such a large military conflict there are more experienced soldiers who turn to banditry when they get unemployed, and there’s a glut of weaponry and armour on the market.
Could give Brigands looted gear from crisis enemies as well.
So if you got the Greenskin crisis you'd occasionally run into Marksmen with Overseer crossbows and Raiders with Orc cleavers.

I think there'd need to be a few changes to make really long term runs fun:
1. More enemy types. I think more boss type enemies are one thing here, but there needs to be chaff that's appropriate for veteran companies as well. A melee Brigand tier after Raiders, Orc and Unhold Wiedergängers for Necromancers to play around with, that kind of thing.
2. Existing endgame enemies need to unlock faster and in greater numbers. When Brigand Marksmen first appear they are brutal, when Master Archers first appear they're often just a nuisance. Not because they aren't dangerous; I've gotten into a fight with 4 of them in a swamp before and that led to some fun sniper duels. But that was so late in the game even 4 Master Archers mixed into a regular Brigand fight weren't enough anymore.
3. Add contract types for endgame companies. Currently it goes regular contracts -> noble contracts -> crisis -> nothing, really.
4. Add more legendary locations. The Witch's Hut is cool but also kind of something you do around the first crisis. There should be something between the Hut and the 47 enemy fights in difficulty. Ideally something that isn't just "Okay, 39 enemies then!".
5. Make it possible to hire higher level bros and make uniques slightly more common/cheaper to buy from stores. Just to reduce the time spent grinding.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'd move a lot of the DLC content to post first crisis actually. Hexen and Alps and Schrats are late game opponents.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Wizard Styles posted:

3. Add contract types for endgame companies. Currently it goes regular contracts -> noble contracts -> crisis -> nothing, really.

Yes. Epic contracts once you reach legendary and immortal reputation seems reasonable. Maybe even tiers of contracts getting unlocked with each reputation level. Nobles paying an exorbant sum for you to go take on some badass orc chieftain, or maybe pull a heist against another faction.

Hopefully the new enemies and factions(?) that come with the new DLC can remedy the current scaling issues a bit.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd move a lot of the DLC content to post first crisis actually. Hexen and Alps and Schrats are late game opponents.

Hexen yes. More than a couple of them make for a very hard fight, especially if they've got other beasts with them; but not Alps and Schrats. Alps are brutal when you don't know how to defeat them; but as soon as you learn that you just need to give every guy a dog they become trivial. Schrats aren't particularly dangerous either - again you just have to understand that you need a few guys that can break shields, then they aren't all that hard at all - I can take 2 or 3 of them long before the first crisis.

Unholds are annoying as gently caress because they leave your guys with tons of injuries, but I took out 2 of them without much trouble with my 8-9 man party around day 30 or so, and now just coming onto the first crisis I think I could do 4 or so with no problems. I still don't have anyone with 2 handed weapons yet either.

With Lindwurms I've determined that a fight vs up to 2 of them is doable with a typical day ~80-90 company. 3 of them you can still kill as long as you don't mind losing 1-2 men.

Spiders are a good early game enemy - fighting them instead of nachrezers and wolves early on helps ease you into things.

One thing I've noticed since the expansion is that you don't seem to really get the missions to reclaim an artifact from ancient auxiliaries any more. Across 4 runs; I've only run into ancient dead once and that was around day 90. previously pitting you against small groups of ancient auxiliaries was a very common early game mission; to the point where all my front line guys used to wear those ancient rusty helmets early on.

weidergangers and the like seem more common now too. I just had a fun fight vs 5 fallen heroes and 4 armored weidergangers. Made my boys switch to daggers, and now I have 3 free coats of plate and assorted heavy helmets.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 4, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Lord Bude posted:

Schrats aren't particularly dangerous either - again you just have to understand that you need a few guys that can break shields, then they aren't all that hard at all - I can take 2 or 3 of them long before the first crisis.

The reason I'd move Schrats to post-crisis is that they're basically a gear check -- you *need* those guys who can break shields, and pre-crisis you might not have geared up to that point yet.

I mean, yeah, you could probably handle them by day 70 or so fine but that's close enough to crisis that it's easier to just draw a line at the crisis and be safe.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Tried out the Try Out improvement mod to show stars for guys. It's good.

Sure you miss out on the fun of a random guy being 3 stars in everything you want or whatever; or the sadness of hiring a guy and then them having lovely stars.

BUT

To be fair if you knew what you were doing with backgrounds you really didn't give a poo poo about traits beyond occasional being a nice bonus or asthmatics being a auto-fire. So now you have more reason to spend gold on Try Outs

Five
Jan 6, 2009

So I picked this up in the Steam Sale and boy oh boy my first attempt did not go well. Ran out of cash hiring 8 guys! Whoops.

Sorry, dudes, guess you aren't getting paid on your first day on the job...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Five posted:

So I picked this up in the Steam Sale and boy oh boy my first attempt did not go well. Ran out of cash hiring 8 guys! Whoops.

Sorry, dudes, guess you aren't getting paid on your first day on the job...

I wrote a beginner's guide that's a bit outdated but should help, it's on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wrote a beginner's guide that's a bit outdated but should help, it's on Steam.

Sweet, I'll look it up when I am back from work!