Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

evil_bunnY posted:

I didn’t wear a tie at my own wedding if you think I’m wearing one for work you’ve got another think coming.

Same. The tie should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

(And I'm NOT saying this just because I can't remember how to tie one. Not JUST because of that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Katt posted:

Imagine working in the US where you have to wear a suit for all kinds of menial crap and you have to call even minor management "sir"

Jesus I worked at a 100 man company and I called the CEO "öh!" and that was way more formal than what I wanted to call him.

I never called anyone "sir"

How do people "sir" their way through life without their spine defecting?

Haha, imagine calling your boss "herrn".

Which would technically be disrespectful even under the old system, since "herrn" was the fallback title for garbage tier scrubs who couldn't be called "Direktörn" or whatever. Same with "ni" which contrary to popular belief has never been a polite way to address anyone.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Suits and ties are both fine, industries where they are prevalent, are not

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
People in this thread are mad about suits :shrug:

MiddleOne posted:

I mean this really says it all. This was a weird derail even for this thread.

Because people weren't freaking out about suits before I posted.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The first time I had to wear a tie aged 15 or so, my mother stood me in front of a mirror and tied my tie while she stood behind me, reaching over my shoulders.

I remember thinking she had a strange look on her face as she did so.

Some years after that, I think I figured out why.

My father died before my first birthday, and I can only assume she used to do the same for him, helping him tie his tie in the mirror... and this was the first time since he died a decade and a half previously that she had done it.

Anyhow, that's the only tie story I know. Sadly I only figured it out after she too died, so I never asked her.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I work in an international environment so ties are part of the uniform. When in Rome ( dress classy like an Italian).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
After working abroad for 10 years, returning to Scandinavia was a relief, dress code wise. The dress code for entry level employees in offices in the Philippines was slacks and a nice shirt. Team leaders wore suits. Managers rocked the full ensemble. In a country with an average temperature of 27°C and a humidity of drown.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mooey Cow posted:

Haha, imagine calling your boss "herrn".

Which would technically be disrespectful even under the old system, since "herrn" was the fallback title for garbage tier scrubs who couldn't be called "Direktörn" or whatever. Same with "ni" which contrary to popular belief has never been a polite way to address anyone.

If Sweden ever went the herrn way. I'd have to emigrate to Denmark. Where the garbled choking noises they call a language make deference to your fellow man impossible.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Du-reformen for sure ranks among the great achievements of social democracy.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Imagine the people working at the royal family places who have to do the whole "your majesty" thing

Wonder if it fucks up the brains of the royal children to be born into and grow up in that environment.

I mean at least the king is a proper scoundrel and the queen a nazi princess. But the children who grew up in that limbo of zero power with the illusion of superiority. That has got to mess them up.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know it’s bad form to rag on neighbours rather than you own country but this made me chuckle.

https://twitter.com/grundbult/status/1092469183005241345

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Beeswax posted:

I know it’s bad form to rag on neighbours rather than you own country but this made me chuckle.

https://twitter.com/grundbult/status/1092469183005241345

If you can't rag on neighbours who are you supposed to rag on? :confused:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Suits are fine you big babies. Getting upset about someone wearing suits is just as stupid as whining about tattoos or piercings. Imagine actually giving a gently caress what clothes people wear in 2019.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

McCloud posted:

Suits are fine you big babies. Getting upset about someone wearing suits is just as stupid as whining about tattoos or piercings. Imagine actually giving a gently caress what clothes people wear in 2019.

I give a gently caress what I have to wear, not others

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I do give a gently caress when people think they're important and get to lord over me, just because they're a sales slimeball in a suit. The suit is obviously a symptom, not the cause.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

If you can't rag on neighbours who are you supposed to rag on? :confused:

Our own respective governments (or lack thereof), in parallel, forever, judging by this thread.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Worked at a big publicly traded consulting firm in Stockholm. CEO would usually appear in jeans, a blazer and a pair of sneakers. Nice sneakers, sure, but sneakers all the same. VP's and department heads usually similar. There were some people who wore full suits but usually not every day. Not even management consultants did it consistently. Lawyers probably do, though.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Andrast posted:

I give a gently caress what I have to wear, not others
This.

Wear the gently caress ya want but I'm as much allowed to think you look like a tosspot just like how suits have all the right to think I look like a tosspot in my clothing. I ain't forcing them to wear my getup and if I were, I'd be the same kind of poo poo that promote a suits standard.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Not even management consultants did it consistently. Lawyers probably do, though.
They're lawyers, they have bigger issues.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
gently caress the jeans, blazer and polyester shirts combo. I hate how "suits" in this country dress, they look like slobs. Blazers and jeans dont work together, not the materials, not the way it falls, nothing! Yes I have strong opinion about clothes.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The tie is a symbolic dog leash.

Free Yahya Hassan.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evil_bunnY posted:

They're lawyers, they have bigger issues.

True.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zombiepop posted:

gently caress the jeans, blazer and polyester shirts combo. I hate how "suits" in this country dress, they look like slobs. Blazers and jeans dont work together, not the materials, not the way it falls, nothing! Yes I have strong opinion about clothes.

Looks like you never got the gist of jantelagen. :sweden:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Looks like you never got the gist of jantelagen. :sweden:

I did not, maybe Im adopted.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So the deliberately limited official report on the Iraq War proves what everyone already knew, that the government lied to and withheld information from parliament. There will be no consequences, obviously.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So when did Stockholm decide that getting ice away from the pavements to be a bad idea?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

So when did Stockholm decide that getting ice away from the pavements to be a bad idea?

Every winter since the dawn of time.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Could be something related to how bad salting can be for the environment, I think that was a reason for it being stopped here several years ago.

Also, if you are visiting Stockholm for the reason I think you are, you can see our posters there (they are not very cool).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Let the Cardiac Stockholm Visit conspiracy theories commence.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Zudgemud posted:

Could be something related to how bad salting can be for the environment

You know what else is bad for the environment? My 9 series Volvo crashing and bursting into flames due to icy roads.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Katt posted:

You know what else is bad for the environment? My 9 series Volvo crashing and bursting into flames due to icy roads.

A short increase for an overall decrease. They've got the long-term view.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Katt posted:

I wish they'd stop salting the roads here, use sand or gravel. They don't use it now that the temperatures are too cold so the roads are just plowed and they are perfectly driveable with studded tires.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

His Divine Shadow posted:

I wish they'd stop salting the roads here, use sand or gravel. They don't use it now that the temperatures are too cold so the roads are just plowed and they are perfectly driveable with studded tires.

In Ulricehamn they just add more sand on the snow until you got an icecream sandwich of like 4 layers of snow and 3 of sand and the only way to drive anywhere is to drive around the whole town to the top of the hill and then drive down to your destination. Meanwhile the state road going through the town doesn't have a snowflake on it because the municipality has no saying on the salting there.

More salt. All the salt.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Salty about salt. Salient Saline.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SplitSoul posted:

So the deliberately limited official report on the Iraq War proves what everyone already knew, that the government lied to and withheld information from parliament. There will be no consequences, obviously.

gasp

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

This is my surprised face

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

Every winter since the dawn of time.

I used to be in Stockholm like 1-2 times a year until like 5 years ago and I can’t recall it being this bad.

Zudgemud posted:

Also, if you are visiting Stockholm for the reason I think you are, you can see our posters there (they are not very cool).

:tinfoil:
I heard good things about TFFs from a coworker so it was nice to see one.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

:tinfoil:
I heard good things about TFFs from a coworker so it was nice to see one.

Oh yeah TFFs are fantastic, pretty much required for any reactor worthy work in our specific niche. A++ would recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

This is my surprised face

Look at Mr. Shock and Mr. Awe over here, thinking they could foresee the future that every shred of evidence pointed toward. Look, he made a mistake and his Armani suit paid dearly for it.