Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Prairie Bus posted:

It sucks for a crucial level 0 card to come out halfway through the campaign. We waited until last weekend to even start TFA for that reason.

I found a solution to this problem: only play Rogues so you can take Adaptable every time. :v:

I seriously haven't played anything other than Rogues in multiplayer, and guess who I'm most excited for in The Circle Undone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The only thing that will make Rita interesting to play is a complete rework or just wanting to give yourself extra challenge.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Prairie Bus posted:

Yeah, I held off on Finn thinking he’d get a similar treatment. I agree with KPC, it takes the excitement out of new releases. It sucks for a crucial level 0 card to come out halfway through the campaign. We waited until last weekend to even start TFA for that reason. Well, that and because we had a baby.

Finn is a ridiculously strong cloover now though.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Orange Devil posted:

Finn is a ridiculously strong cloover now though.

I'm playing a Pack Mule Finn with Charles Ross, Esq. with Roland, Agnes, and Rex right now. Between Agnes needing setup time to get going, Roland never seeming to have the right weapon out at the right time, and Rex sucking up 4+ clues at once, I have been relegated to evasion tank and combat support while helping to enable Rex getting all of our clues.

Not the direction I'd intended to take Finn as he can suck up clues easily once he gets going, but c'est la vie. My only regret is not taking Charon's Obol at the start, because combat Rogues feel even more expensive than clue-gathering ones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Four cards revealed for next booster https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/29/union-and-disillusion/

I really don't like the exile mechanic. Always feels like a waste to include those cards unless you're very late in a campaign, and at that point they may be a bit underpowered.

Ironically though I'm probably going to include several exile cards in my Calvin deck for the finale of TFA because I've hit a point where I have more EXP than I know what to do with and it will help me cycle to my best cards.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I would very much like to see more cards with Decoy's reaction abilities. Also, I just really like Decoy in general.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah Decoy is tight design.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I would very much like to see more cards with Decoy's reaction abilities. Also, I just really like Decoy in general.

Yeah that's my favorite of the bunch. Two agility icons on top of that as well which is even better.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I actually really like warning shot also. It's a way for Guardian's to evade and save ammo.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

IcePhoenix posted:

Four cards revealed for next booster https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/29/union-and-disillusion/

I really don't like the exile mechanic. Always feels like a waste to include those cards unless you're very late in a campaign, and at that point they may be a bit underpowered.

Ironically though I'm probably going to include several exile cards in my Calvin deck for the finale of TFA because I've hit a point where I have more EXP than I know what to do with and it will help me cycle to my best cards.

I think that this card has Exile done right - you can keep the card through the entire campaign if you're careful, but sometimes it might be worth losing an XP. It's a good and difficult choice.

Also, Decoy is pretty epic, especially in 4p where you can trigger the 2-enemy clause easier as well.

Not sold on Warning Shot - I think it's a card you'll cut in the end. Much more of a fan of Delay the Inevitable, and they sort of compete for the same slot.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Btw, I see the sentiment IcePhoenix expressed about exile a lot and my question for those of you with those feelings is, have you ever just tried playing the (strong) exile cards from early in a campaign anyway? If you haven't, I really recommend trying it.

People experience much more severe emotions when they incur a loss compared to an equal gain. Exile makes you "lose" XP, so the initial reaction is to shun those cards and never give them a fair chance, instead pigeonholing them into "I only buy these cards for the last scenario" and then pretty much always buying them there because "they're easily the strongest thing I can do with my XP". Those two thoughts are pretty contradictory and I strongly suspect you will re-evaluate your thinking on (some of) the exile cards if you actually give them a fair chance.

It's like one of those people are inherently terrible at statistics types of situations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zerf posted:

I think that this card has Exile done right - you can keep the card through the entire campaign if you're careful, but sometimes it might be worth losing an XP. It's a good and difficult choice.

Also, Decoy is pretty epic, especially in 4p where you can trigger the 2-enemy clause easier as well.

Not sold on Warning Shot - I think it's a card you'll cut in the end. Much more of a fan of Delay the Inevitable, and they sort of compete for the same slot.

I don't think the benefit is worth the possibility of it being exiled. If you remove the exile or being compelled to place the horror on it then it's fine.

Maybe in smaller games it's a better tradeoff but I don't like it, too many better options.

Orange Devil posted:

Btw, I see the sentiment IcePhoenix expressed about exile a lot and my question for those of you with those feelings is, have you ever just tried playing the (strong) exile cards from early in a campaign anyway? If you haven't, I really recommend trying it.

People experience much more severe emotions when they incur a loss compared to an equal gain. Exile makes you "lose" XP, so the initial reaction is to shun those cards and never give them a fair chance, instead pigeonholing them into "I only buy these cards for the last scenario" and then pretty much always buying them there because "they're easily the strongest thing I can do with my XP". Those two thoughts are pretty contradictory and I strongly suspect you will re-evaluate your thinking on (some of) the exile cards if you actually give them a fair chance.

It's like one of those people are inherently terrible at statistics types of situations.

It's about the same things I always preach when comparing cards my dude, opportunity cost and consistency. Nine times out of ten I will be better off not taking the exile card, and I don't play for the one.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 29, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

All I'm saying is, if you've tried it and feel that way, fair. If you feel that way off of purely theorycrafting then just be aware that this is exactly one of the pitfalls we as people are hardwired to misjudge and I invite you to actually try it out one time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't need to try shooting myself in the foot to know it's a bad idea :v:

Also I feel like my point was a bit hard to parse. I'm not saying that including them late in a campaign is worth it because the "lost" exp doesn't matter anymore (though that is a factor, to be fair), but rather that I'm running out of things to actually spend XP on and they're better filler cards than other options.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 29, 2019

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I still don't see why everyone's so down on Rita. I think she's gonna be pretty powerful. Maybe not super top tier, but way above like Calvin/Lola/Carolyn tier.

And the issue with exile cards is that in general they're one time effects. If you draw it and don't use it, well you'r elikely better off having just spent the xp on something else that you may have used. And if you end up using them, you just fall behind the xp curve. They need to offer more base, without being exiled.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Friend of mine is running Agnes with Charon's Obol and has been using his extra xp to constantly rebuy the Survivor exile counterspell card, I forget the name. Works pretty well and has gotten us out of a few sticky situations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think the benefit is worth the possibility of it being exiled. If you remove the exile or being compelled to place the horror on it then it's fine.

Maybe in smaller games it's a better tradeoff but I don't like it, too many better options.

It's about the same things I always preach when comparing cards my dude, opportunity cost and consistency. Nine times out of ten I will be better off not taking the exile card, and I don't play for the one.

Test of Will, Devil's Luck and Stroke of Luck are nothing but low cost and consistency. Really nice, cheap cards that can save a scenario by themselves. If you rebuy them once or twice (you're saving them for the crucial plays, right?), their total cost is still palatable; they just don't go to discard.

I was like you once but holy poo poo how can one resist Stroke of Luck?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Lichtenstein posted:

Test of Will, Devil's Luck and Stroke of Luck are nothing but low cost and consistency. Really nice, cheap cards that can save a scenario by themselves. If you rebuy them once or twice (you're saving them for the crucial plays, right?), their total cost is still palatable; they just don't go to discard.

I was like you once but holy poo poo how can one resist Stroke of Luck?

This, verbatim. All three of those are super worthwhile from the very start. Flare is really useful depending on your build, and Fire Extinguisher is probably the weakest out of all of them.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Friend of mine is running Agnes with Charon's Obol and has been using his extra xp to constantly rebuy the Survivor exile counterspell card, I forget the name. Works pretty well and has gotten us out of a few sticky situations.

How did Agnes end up with Charon's Obol? She can't take Rogue cards, only Mystic/Survivor cards. Did you mean Wendy, with Survivor/Rogue cards? I like the idea, though, and I might make a Wendy deck that fits around it.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Guiding spirit seems like it’ll be better than most other exile cards. Playing it doesn’t guarantee it’ll be exiled, and it fills a niche for survivors.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This, verbatim. All three of those are super worthwhile from the very start. Flare is really useful depending on your build, and Fire Extinguisher is probably the weakest out of all of them.

Stroke of Luck I could actually sort of buy into since it's optional. Devil's Luck is basically just Perseverence with worse skill icons though as far as I'm concerned (I guess unless you really want to cancel non-defeating damage/horror), outside of a couple card effects.

Prairie Bus posted:

Guiding spirit seems like it’ll be better than most other exile cards. Playing it doesn’t guarantee it’ll be exiled, and it fills a niche for survivors.

I just feel like it forces you into having more horror soak out to preserve it. If it wasn't mandatory to assign it horror that would go on your investigator then I would like it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also, to answer this:

alansmithee posted:

I still don't see why everyone's so down on Rita. I think she's gonna be pretty powerful. Maybe not super top tier, but way above like Calvin/Lola/Carolyn tier.

And the issue with exile cards is that in general they're one time effects. If you draw it and don't use it, well you'r elikely better off having just spent the xp on something else that you may have used. And if you end up using them, you just fall behind the xp curve. They need to offer more base, without being exiled.

She's a one-trick pony who's trick isn't all that impressive. And her weakness shuts her down harder than maybe any other weakness in the game. As a survivor she has access to some neat tricks (ayyy), but it's nothing that any other survivor can't also do.

If her lore was 3 instead of her fight or will it would do a lot for her, IMO.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I use exile cards early game as a janky version of adaptable for non-rogues.

Spending one xp on an great exile card is a much better deal than spending an xp to switch to another level 0 card.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

How did Agnes end up with Charon's Obol? She can't take Rogue cards, only Mystic/Survivor cards. Did you mean Wendy, with Survivor/Rogue cards? I like the idea, though, and I might make a Wendy deck that fits around it.

Yeah, I meant Wendy, whoops.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't need to try shooting myself in the foot to know it's a bad idea :v:

Playing some cards you've already purchased in your card game hobby in a slightly different way to check if maybe your initial reaction is wrong is not the same as blowing a hole in your foot my dude.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The starter scenarios in The Circle Undone are great, and Act of Desperation might be the most ridiculously overpowered card I've ever seen, and I love it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just got a bunch of expansions, anyone have any starter tips for deckbuilding?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Solo or multiplayer?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

IcePhoenix posted:

Solo or multiplayer?

2 player ideally

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
A good starter duo is Zoey and Ashcan Pete.

Zoey murders anything and Ashcan can do double duty of clue gathering and fighting sometimes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Survivor Supremacy.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Here's my take on Diana Stanley after trying her out in a couple 2P games: *wet fart noise*

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Dear goons:

Big Money Preston or Dark Horse Preston?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Dark Horse Preston starts off slightly better, in that he Fire Axes things really well, which gives him a clearly defined strength early on. It can also make actual good use out of Joey the Rat to spew cheap assets everywhere. But at the same time, you're resigning yourself to taking every single Treachery straight on the chin, Going to an all 2s stat line isn't really an improvement over all 1s, and you've got basically no room to grow.

Big Money Preston gets awkward in terms of actions, because he really wants to be grabbing money off his Inheritance. Leo de Luca helps with that a lot, but you won't always have him out. At L0, you're also a little short on payoffs--Well Connected is the star here, giving you one really good test each turn. But you get to pack Dig Deep to mitigate the mythos phase, and while your Fire Axe isn't efficient, it still hits things. Once you get experience, though, you get things like Streetwise, Lola Santiago, and High Roller, which really let you turn all of that money into power.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Diana is extremely cool and good. Slow roll early game with a .45 or machete, fiddle with encounter deck via Alyssa Graham to get something worth cancelling to build up your willpower. Then by the end of the game once the boss enemies start rolling out you're crushing them with huge shrivellings. She plays really fun but takes a bit to get fully set up. Thankfully her 3 combat gives a workaround until there are some cards under her.

She's MVP of my current run of Carcosa.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Joe Diamond is real good right from the very start. His Hunch deck lets you cheat out some amazing events, and his weakness isn't even that big of a deal to handle, though you do have to plan for it because you will see it almost every game.

It's bonkers that his Hunch deck gives you a full turn's worth of action compression: draw, resource, resource.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Does the free trigger on Stalked by Shadows (Phantom of Truth act 2a) mean I can spend two clues on any investigator to evade the organist? Like if the person engaged with the organist has no clues but someone else somewhere spends the clues. Seems like it could go either way...

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

apophenium posted:

Does the free trigger on Stalked by Shadows (Phantom of Truth act 2a) mean I can spend two clues on any investigator to evade the organist? Like if the person engaged with the organist has no clues but someone else somewhere spends the clues. Seems like it could go either way...

Yes, you spend clues as a group, so they can be anyone's clues anywhere. Note that the act specifically states, "automatically evade," which means no other conditions need to be met (engagement, distance, etc.).

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Dope! That really helped survive the second might. Third night I had to run around a scoop up clues to get the heck out of there after Minh went insane from the organs. One of the tougher scenarios I've played!

Thanks!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It's a pretty fun scenario! Though playing as Finn in a 4-player group, as soon as the Organist spawned, I was designated as being on Organist duty for the rest of the night, and not much else. It saved us clues for rest of the scenario's effects, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Spoiler of upcoming weapon from facebook:

seems pretty good.

also I wish they'd do a magic-style fade on dual class cards, it just looks like a Seeker weapon