Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've only put like 160 miles on my Symba, but I want that Honda Super Cub 125 real bad. I think I'm going to run into the same issue that I have with the Symba is that it's just on the edge of not being quick enough for my area; there's a lot of 45mph roads on my way to work and I can take the bus. :qq:

I need to do an oil change, put in a new battery, and get new tires on the Sym, though. Probably pull the carb and make sure that it's nice and clean.

ADINSX posted:

I got my first scooter (kinda) the other weekend

2011 (I think?) Sym Symba. A clone of the honda cub that has a solid reputation as a faithful reproduction of the original.

Its been great so far, the auto-clutch is kind of strange but I'm getting used to it. It's a great around town option and a lot easier than a full sized motorcycle for a 4 mile commute to work. I need to get a big milk crate or something for the back, I've already taken off the rear seat (who are they kidding, this thing isn't hauling two [american] people)

welcum 2 da club (it's a good bike)

e: oh yeah, i forgot that i picked this up back in march

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where can I buy that book. I need it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think I got it from a Junkudo along with some grammar books. :x

https://www.amazon.co.jp/about-SUPE...words=super+cub

shipping is going to be $$$ (I paid about $20 for shipping for a tote bag + some goodies a few months ago)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What do you think the top "safe" speed on the 2019 Super Cub ABS would be?

If all goes well and I graduate end of 2019 like planned, something like that would be a pretty present to myself in 2020. I rode a Royal Enfield 500 (with an honest top cruising speed of 60-65, so I kept to backroads and stuff) for many years as my primary vehicle, so I'm all about slowness. Just wouldn't want to be caught up at a stoplight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Grom tops out in the mid 40s for all practical purposes (can touch 60 downhill, tucked, and with a tailwind).

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Phone posted:

The Grom tops out in the mid 40s for all practical purposes (can touch 60 downhill, tucked, and with a tailwind).

Really? I've never had a Grom but that is really surprising. My 150cc vespa will do 65 reliably. I'd honestly expect a 125cc with a proper transmission to outperform it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gimme a 5 speed 200cc Grom.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My 36 year old 125 can do 60 on the speedo so like 55

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Phone posted:

Under what incredibly dismal circumstances do you experience this? Completely stock, I had no trouble hitting 60 sitting upright, though it wouldn't really go past that. With a tuck, I could reach upper 60s.

With a cam and tune I can do 70 sitting upright, and 78 with a tuck.

Coredump posted:

Gimme a 5 speed 200cc Grom.

This is called a ZS190 swap and it's about $1000 to do. 5 spd, 190cc, 18hp grom sized engine. I'd do one in a hearbeat if I had a Razkull.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

What do you think the top "safe" speed on the 2019 Super Cub ABS would be?

I wonder this as well. The wheels are bigger, which is nice for potholes, but look so thin I'd worry about corner speeds. There is a wealth of grom engine upgrades that would put some pep in it's step, though.

I really like the covered chain drive. Wish I could have that on the motorcycle.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I just checked the Australian Honda site and we're still not getting the Cub, but they are bringing back the Monkey, and in 125cc.

https://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Naked/Monkey

It's too cool, but also rumoured to be $6k when it comes out (the Grom is just under $4k for comparison).

open24hours fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 11, 2018

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Dog Case posted:

My 36 year old 125 can do 60 on the speedo so like 55

Take heart! The GN125 speedo is supposed to be pretty accurate.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Places that are moderately hilly? Idk

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Snagged this fella for a cool six hundo today!

My first real journey was hopping on I90 from Bellevue over to Seattle, then I5 down to West Seattle. Bike took like it a champ but goddamn grooved highways are scary.

First things first, getting rid of the gaudy extras and taking a family photo.

Oh my god it feels good to be back on a 150 again. I can't believe how anyone could ride anything smaller than that. The mere existence of 49cc bikes wrinkles my brain.

Up next, find a good home for the CH125 and continue my search for the perfect pop-up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can I interest you in this 360 original miles Elite 150 with a pop-up?

https://prescott.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1985-honda-elite-150-deluxe/6602737559.html

Found today on CL.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
the Mopeds! thread is locked for archiving, so you get pictures of my latest silly project here

It's the Sachs Madass 50cc moped/scooter, as knowers of Sachs will see, this one requires a lot of love. I've dedicated the weekend to just detailing the many ways stuff is broken on it. I believe someone's already thrown a kit on it, so part of the fun is finding out what exactly the, no doubt many, previous owners have done to it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love Madasses. They are the end result of someone taking a chinese bicycle engine and putting it on a BMX bike, except they did it right.

The fact that kits have been thrown is both awesome and terrifying

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
I always really wanted a beat up one of those, there are a bunch of larger displacement engines you can easily swap in it always seems like a good small displacement platform.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
After my car basically imploded and I moved into a smaller apartment with no parking, I've been without wheels for a few months. I've had a scooter before, and I'm itching to get another. My funds are pretty limited, but I found this one semi-locally:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-atv/st-albert/1983-yamaha-scooter/1367497688

Would that be a decent purchase? It does need some work - needs a battery, and the signals probably need to be rewired, but how hard is it to get parts? It looks to be in pretty good shape for a 35 year old scooter.

Edit: it's a Beluga, so 80CC. As I don't have a motorcycle license, I've got to look at the 50cc ones. And Edmonton is a goddamned wasteland for scooters. There's a Piaggio Typhoon with "damaged plastics because of a crash" for $650, a 2012 Saga 50CC (Looks like the Retro? Probably a 4-stroke) for $700. And of course, it being on Kijiji, getting in touch with people is a crapshoot.

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 7, 2018

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I scored a Derbi Bullet Atlantis - it's a 50cc scooter, with a Piaggio engine. It runs decently, but is definitely in need of a tune-up. It had been stolen and then recovered, so the steering lock is mostly busted, and many of the plastics are in need of replacement. The speedo lies, and the fuel gauge doesn't work.

However it's pretty zippy, and seems to be de-restricted already, as it can hit ~70Km/h.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Edit: So I need the front handlebar cover and the undercarriage panel. Neither of these things are available. Derbi was bought by Piaggio in 2001, and seems to have buried them. So I might end up stripping the handlebar cover entirely off, replacing controls with those nice integrated bundles, and a new digital speedo/gauge cluster.

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 15, 2018

www.amazon.com
Nov 5, 2012
So I had my scooter not starting at all a while back after sitting for a while. It had a top trophy 70cc kit and dellorto 17.5mm carb with 13.5k miles on the scoot. Installed those parts at about 4500 miles.

I drained the fuel tank and replaced with fresh gas. Pulled the carb and used carb cleaner on it along with some jet cleaner pipes and could see plenty of light through the jets so I knew they were clean. Replaced the spark plug. Confirmed spark.

Once I did all that and had it together it wouldn't start unless I sprayed starter fluid in the airbox. It would run once started. Did this a few times then eventually later in the day on the 5th or 6th try to start it with starter fluid it just wouldn't start. It kicks over fine with the kickstart.

Now just recently I was like screw it maybe the cylinder is bad so I took it all off and put the stock cylinder and carb back on after cleaning it up. Even with starter fluid the thing still wont start. The kill switch works and the electric start will try to work if I hook up a big jump starter box to the battery terminal wires. but The electric start has never really worked since I had the scooter at 3500 miles.

The only thing I haven't been able to do is a compression test which I will have a tool from amazon tomorrow to try but part of the reason of going back to the stock cylinder was that I knew it was working perfectly fine when I took it off.

At this point I have no clue what to do. it kicks over easily but it just doesn't even sound like it's trying to start.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I think I’m going to order a new Super Cub because this is a great thing to spend $4000 on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what the hell

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
well that just did a piledriver to my interest

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I bet those concept/probably Asian market lights will be available as soon as the bike is. Looks like the DOT lights mount the same way, probably a plug-and-play swap

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Seattle Scooter Pals, I'm looking to pick something up but I have zero experience with what people are asking around here and could use some pricing advice. I see a bunch of Vinos for like 1200 but then Scoot About is selling a Buddy 125 for 1400 which doesn't seem bad for something serviced by an actual shop. How delusional are people around here as far as what they expect to sell for? Then there is this guy which seems like a really really bad idea https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/d/2004-yamaha-vino-scooter/6561528133.html

Did you ever get around to buying anything? I have an Elite 125 with working pop-up light that needs a good home.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
You think there's a way to mount a trunk to the new Super Cub? Lack of front basket storage is gonna be super duper fun -_-

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
There is a rack in the second to last photo.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Kebbins posted:

Did you ever get around to buying anything? I have an Elite 125 with working pop-up light that needs a good home.

dang, super old reply but I did not end up getting anything mostly due to finances. if you're down for selling it for under what you'd get on the open market with the assurances that I would not be doing it just to flip it I might be interested but I realize you probably don't want to just practically give it away.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
To be honest I was hoping to get over 1k for it, but would entertain offers. I'm the worst at this, haha. What is the highest dollar amount that you would pay that would make you feel like money well-spent, but also knowing that I didn't get ripped off? I bought it for $850 and immediately threw new tires on it btw.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Kebbins posted:

To be honest I was hoping to get over 1k for it, but would entertain offers. I'm the worst at this, haha. What is the highest dollar amount that you would pay that would make you feel like money well-spent, but also knowing that I didn't get ripped off? I bought it for $850 and immediately threw new tires on it btw.

Lemme put it this way, I passed on a Genuine Buddy that didn't run but probably only needed a new battery for $650.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

This whole channel is worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9llhR-RrCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CoUpCaKSqQ

open24hours fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 4, 2019

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So my lovely 50cc chinese scoot y'all clowned on me about is still going strong. I've had an 80cc kit in it for a while along with everything else done. Anywhere to go from here? Is there a good path to electric swaps?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I've got some questions about a ruckus ... it has 4,000 miles on it.

I started riding it again this spring and noticed that it's dogging a bit at the high end. I replaced the spark plug, changed the oil, changed the air filter, and it made a bit of difference. It'll max out at 38 on flat road, but I'd like to get it over 40 since that's about the regular speed of traffic for 35 zones around here. I've got a new belt, aftermarket variator, weights, and CDI unit on order to this end, but I'd like to get it tuned up as good as I can otherwise before installing this stuff. I only weigh about 130 so I figured some lighter weights would help too.

There's something with it that's really confusing me though. I bought it new, and was able to hit 43 with it out the gate. I took it back to the dealership for the regular 1,500 mile maintenance, and when I got it back, I couldn't get it over 40 and the rear brake was hosed up. As in, it started sticking. I have a habit of sliding into corners, and I would take it through mud and stuff, so I wasn't too suprised. A great thing about the ruckus is its ability to carry a fishing pole ...

I took it to a different shop, and they cleaned out and adjusted my rear brakes. I was still stuck at 38 though. Later I had the 3,000 mile maintenance done at the same shop.

I guess my first question is: what could've the first shop done to cause such a sudden change? The only thing I can think of is adjusting pilot on the carb, but I don't think that's supposed to be part of the maintenance soooo ...

Also, while doing maintenance, I gave the rear wheel a spin, and it maybe seems like it should spin a little more freely. I don't really have any frame of reference to go by though. It makes a slight noise of "sliding metal" but again, no idea if that's the sound it usually makes. I took the belt cover off and spun the clutch, and I can't tell at all if the sound comes from the clutch or the brakes, even when listening with a piece of tubing. I completely removed the cable adjustment screw when I did this. I would've posted a video but it's late, so maybe tomorrow.

I'm probably going to take the brakes apart anyways and clean them, but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to pay the other shop to clean them again and adjust my carb, since it would probably take him only an hour and I don't have a tach.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 13, 2019

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
The rear wheel is connected to the final drive gears so it's not going to spin quite as freely as you're thinking. You're hearing the gears and clutch spinning.

As for your main problem, have you checked your tire pressures? Low tires can have a hugely detrimental impact on those tiny motors.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

CheddarGoblin posted:

As for your main problem, have you checked your tire pressures? Low tires can have a hugely detrimental impact on those tiny motors.

:doh: I was waiting a few days for it to warm up a bit and it completely slipped my mind. They were terribly underinflated, definitely less sluggish now, and it handles much better to boot.

Still taps out at 38 though, I can feel it hit the rev limit. Hopefully the CDI will keep me chugging along.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

dougdrums posted:

:doh: I was waiting a few days for it to warm up a bit and it completely slipped my mind. They were terribly underinflated, definitely less sluggish now, and it handles much better to boot.

Still taps out at 38 though, I can feel it hit the rev limit. Hopefully the CDI will keep me chugging along.

If it’s hitting the rev limiter but not going as fast, it may be that the belt is worn and not riding as high up the variator as it should and effectively keeping you in a lower gear. 4K seems low for that but I’m not sure how Rucks do with belts.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

dougdrums posted:

I bought it new, and was able to hit 43 with it out the gate
I'd like to know how this happened because I've worked on a lot of used ones and I don't think I've ever seen one even hit 40. Holy hell those things are slow.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah I'm starting to wonder if I'm just remebering a few times I had the wind to my back or something. I definitely got above 40 a few times off the lot, it just took 1/3 of a mile or so. I could hit 38 pretty easily after doing that maintenance, but then the limiter shoves me forward :( I think I might just be confusing my brakes fuckup with some vague feeling that they did something else that won't let me see the glory days of my 40 mph ruckus again. I checked the new sparkplug after putting about 100 miles on it, and it's a nice pleasant grey color, so I don't think the mixture is a problem.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

If it’s hitting the rev limiter but not going as fast, it may be that the belt is worn and not riding as high up the variator as it should and effectively keeping you in a lower gear. 4K seems low for that but I’m not sure how Rucks do with belts.

I took a look at the belt when I had the cover open, and it seemed like it was still in good shape. It was only worn on the bottom half or so, but just barely. I'll be putting in the new one on Thursday or Friday anyways. The original battery seemed to have met it's fate, so I replaced it with a lithium one ... and some LED headlights ... I can see this getting out of hand real quick ...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I had an '04 Metro that would pin at 37-38 pretty much no matter what with the highschool version of me on it. I thought in subsequent years they eked a bit more out of them but still low 40s. Even with transmission kits and CDIs and stuff I'm not sure they're really good for more than 45 and I'm not even sure the big bore kits that exist (66cc or whatever) really even pass 50. They are slow as gently caress. And with tiny drum brakes that's probably for the best.

dougdrums have fun modding your bike but resist the temptation to put a GY6 in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Nah I'm morally opposed to engine swaps ... unless it's a rotary and it's going in a starlet ...

I kinda miss tooling around on cars from when I lived in a house, and I just figured out that I can still tool around on scooters in the kitchen of my apartment. I think I'd just get the clone one if it came to that.