Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
email to me at 7:45am from Dep FM manager - hey AA can you provide all the purchase orders & quotes for that work you did a year ago as the customer is going to pay for it (that sounds weird - we maintain a gov property for them, but sometimes they pay for 'improvements' we install)

helpdesk guy arrives at 8am and needs a key from FM to change backup tape - hey can you tell AA I need all the quotes and purchase orders for that work he did

I arrive around 0815am to a phone call - hey aa can you provide... you get it.

help desk guy walks in from tapes and is like wow can the FM guy not even wait 10 minutes for me to come and tell you... apparently not.

So then, I don't really register that as drop everything and do it now kinda work - so about 10am another phone call from FM - hey AA, I spoke to stores and they said my own admin will have the info I asked for, so I asked her and she provided everything except 1 order which we are just searching for

Me: do you need me to do anything?

FM: nope

:confused:

We both report to the head of FM, she just laughed and called dep FM an idiot. At least there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

incoherent posted:

I don't know know why they're raising the cost? 20 years of data protection laws disappear in a month or so and they can just data mine yours without a care in the world.
Happily that's not quite the case, but only because of where they stuck the server farm and how broad the GDPR powers are right now. Maybe after a few more sueballs get tossed we'll see that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A raise came in !

:yotj:

After four years of breakfix, an ops role with a side of engineering is like having my very own pod. The 32% raise is nice too, takes me from woefully underpaid to "that's about right for my experience at doing exactly this." Next year's review is where I become pricey.

I'd hate to leave, the company my MSP is contracted to is legitimately one of the best workplaces in the country, but at some point being able to look a hiring manager in the eye and tell them a major biotech firm runs my code on their research infrastructure is going to have to turn into cold, hard cash and lots of it.

And now for a nice glass of scotch.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mllaneza posted:

A raise came in !

:yotj:

After four years of breakfix, an ops role with a side of engineering is like having my very own pod. The 32% raise is nice too, takes me from woefully underpaid to "that's about right for my experience at doing exactly this." Next year's review is where I become pricey.

I'd hate to leave, the company my MSP is contracted to is legitimately one of the best workplaces in the country, but at some point being able to look a hiring manager in the eye and tell them a major biotech firm runs my code on their research infrastructure is going to have to turn into cold, hard cash and lots of it.

And now for a nice glass of scotch.

Well done! Welcome to the eng/ops dark side, my friend.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Today I had the most incredible conversation I have ever had or will ever have.

Me: "I have reset your password to a temporary password, it is <password> followed by an exclamation point."

User: "What is an exclamation point?"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

siggy2021 posted:

Me: "I have reset your password to a temporary password, it is <password> followed by an exclamation point."

The gently caress did they think it was called?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

LethalGeek posted:

Exclamation mark

Feedback came in: talks in impossibly ambiguous terms

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In whatever passes for fairness to users I have heard it called that before.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I, too, get confused with all the permutations of "exclamation <noun>" that exist. There are so many different words that it's hard to know what a person is talking about.

I mean there's:

exclamation point
exclamation mark
exclamation sign

See? So hard to know what someone means...

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

LethalGeek posted:

I'm not sure. This particular user is a special kind of dumb and I"m not even entirely sure how they get through day to day, but I never thought they could possibly be that dumb.

If they weren't as dumb as I know they are I would have thought they were loving with me, but I know for a fact they are too dumb for that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I like to tell users to use "Capital 1" less special users get "Shift + 1"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Use an interrobang (‽) instead from now on. No more ambiguity wrt mark/point/sign/symbol that you have with either ! or ?.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Geemer posted:

Use an interrobang (‽) instead from now on. No more ambiguity wrt mark/point/sign/symbol that you have with either ! or ?.

How do you even make that symbol?

And why? Why would this thing exist?

Edit: and of course there must be an invocation of rule 34.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Geemer posted:

Sarcmark, imho

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Edit: ^^^ Internally we usually just say "bang". Then we accidentally say it to users and they got no idea what we're talking about.

We’re connecting you to an agent. We usually respond in less than 5 minutes. While you wait, please tell us how we can help you today.
:): I'm trying to deactivate Adobe Acrobat Standard 9 and I'm unable to. I tried switching to a network with no firewall, and verified I have an internet connection. Please assist me in deactivating one of the product keys so I can reuse it.
You are now connected to :haw:, who is reviewing your account. If you need to share sensitive information, such as credit card number, please wait for your agent to give you steps to share it securely.
:haw:: Hello, I can help you with your issue.
:): Alright, what are you going to do?
:): Yes, you just said that, what are you going to do to help me with my issue?

~10 minutes of silence~

:haw:: It sounds like you need help solving a technical issue. Let me transfer you to a technical support agent who can assist you.
Connecting you to an agent. Response times are usually under 5 minutes, but may vary.
You are now connected to :classiclol:, who is reviewing your account. If you need to share sensitive information, such as credit card number, please wait for your agent to give you steps to share it securely.

:classiclol:: Hello, I can help you with your issue.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 3, 2019

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Really, you've never heard of Unicode‽

klosterdev posted:

We’re connecting you to an agent. We usually respond in less than 5 minutes. While you wait, please tell us how we can help you today.
:): I'm trying to deactivate Adobe Acrobat Standard 9 and I'm unable to. I tried switching to a network with no firewall, and verified I have an internet connection. Please assist me in deactivating one of the product keys so I can reuse it.
You are now connected to :haw:, who is reviewing your account. If you need to share sensitive information, such as credit card number, please wait for your agent to give you steps to share it securely.
:): Alright, what are you going to do?
:): Yes, you just said that, what are you going to do to help me with my issue?
You're assuming that the information you gave before the agent got on the phone with you was actually given to the agent. For whatever reason it sounds like it didn't. I can't even count the number of times when I've called a support line and the system has me key in my account number or something, then when I get transferred to a live agent the first thing they do is ask me my account number. So what was stopping you from just repeating "I'm trying to deactivate Adobe Acrobat Standard 9 and I'm unable to. I tried switching to a network with no firewall, and verified I have an internet connection. Please assist me in deactivating one of the product keys so I can reuse it." when the live agent started talking to you?

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 3, 2019

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Passwordhashtag1

It’s completely irrational, but every time I hear it I die a little more inside

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Agrikk posted:

And why? Why would this thing exist?

Edit: and of course there must be an invocation of rule 34.

Because it's a fairly useful bit of punctuation once you know it exists.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/interrobang/

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Craptacular posted:

Really, you've never heard of Unicode‽

You're assuming that the information you gave before the agent got on the phone with you was actually given to the agent. For whatever reason it sounds like it didn't. I can't even count the number of times when I've called a support line and the system has me key in my account number or something, then when I get transferred to a live agent the first thing they do is ask me my account number. So what was stopping you from just repeating "I'm trying to deactivate Adobe Acrobat Standard 9 and I'm unable to. I tried switching to a network with no firewall, and verified I have an internet connection. Please assist me in deactivating one of the product keys so I can reuse it." when the live agent started talking to you?

Wasn't on the phone, and the first thing Adobe auto-posts is to write up what the problem is while I wait to be connected to an agent. (once they escalated to a tech, the tech def read what the issue was without my having to type it up again)

This is more frustration about people being lazy with canned messages.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Wasn't on the phone, and the first thing Adobe auto-posts is to write up what the problem is while I wait to be connected to an agent. (once they escalated to a tech, the tech def read what the issue was without my having to type it up again)

This is more frustration about people being lazy with canned messages.

I always have slightly more patience with chat support because usually they have 5-10 support windows open at once and it means I can be doing literally anything else (like reading the forums) while waiting on hold or them to process my request.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

siggy2021 posted:

The best part is when you're phone support for a global workforce, and you have to figure out if the user's got some weird keyboard encoding with international symbols...that only loads AFTER the OS starts up, but not while the full disk encryption prompt, which only uses US encoding, is active.

And they just changed their password.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Heners_UK posted:

Exclamation mark

Feedback came in: talks in impossibly ambiguous terms

I have always called it exclamation mark and have literally never heard point in my life, the gently caress

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question: Do you with Apple shops have problems with worms?

:dadjoke:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's very simple

you have your exclamation point and your question curve

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Iron Rose posted:

I have always called it exclamation mark and have literally never heard point in my life, the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFpsDAL4oKE

(poo poo, this might be some kind of war crime :ohdear:)

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
As a developer I refer to everything as braces, so a ! is a flat broken brace (whereas a ? is a curly broken brace).

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

It must be some regional thing because I have heard exclamation mark probably three times in my life.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shouting Stick and Curious Curve.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty sure that's a bang

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

klosterdev posted:

Edit: ^^^ Internally we usually just say "bang". Then we accidentally say it to users and they got no idea what we're talking about.

It's like how I still sometimes say 'string' for $ because of BASIC variable naming rules, or how octothorpe is hashtag now because of LISP (plus twitter)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I once got confused by a TV show where someone was asked to press the "pound" key on phone. Why does an American phone have a £ symbol?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bitterandtwisted posted:

I once got confused by a TV show where someone was asked to press the "pound" key on phone. Why does an American phone have a £ symbol?

It's not about pressing the pound key. It's about pounding the octothorpe key.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hashtag keys on telephones are very important in this day and age.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I set up a helpdesk for one of our companies a while back and they've been complaining recently that customers aren't getting notifications. Turns out the agents are in the habit of creating new tickets already in the solved state, which doesn't set off the alert.
I asked why they weren't being set as open and was told "we don't want them open, it would get out of control".

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Every time I hear that I feel like I'm hoping for the best when I hit, generally # but sometimes when I'm feeling adventurous I go for *

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I asked why they weren't being set as open and was told "we don't want them open, it would get out of control".
:hmmyes:

Our tickets have a stupid, limited set of close reasons. Basically: Solved, Not Solved, Solved By User. There's no "User Error" or "Problem not reproducible" or "Gave information and sent away but there was no actual problem to solve." So opening a ticket already solved sounds like it fixes a whole lot of problems!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

It's like how I still sometimes say 'string' for $ because of BASIC variable naming rules, or how octothorpe is hashtag now because of LISP (plus twitter)

At least I don't have to program in C-Hashtag anymore.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
A bunch of my tickets are auto closing themselves today due to no response from users. It's going to be a good day.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Now in the correct thread!

We have an ask by engineering to rebuild a test environment. They want a forest with two sub domains, each set up with S4B, one with at least 4 front end servers, and then a sub-sub domain under the second also with S4B. They want to just let Windows update patch all 25 servers including S4B.

:negative:

This is why the last environment fell over and it needs to be rebuilt, the old admins handed it over and it was never patched properly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

kensei posted:

Now in the correct thread!

We have an ask by engineering to rebuild a test environment. They want a forest with two sub domains, each set up with S4B, one with at least 4 front end servers, and then a sub-sub domain under the second also with S4B. They want to just let Windows update patch all 25 servers including S4B.

:negative:

This is why the last environment fell over and it needs to be rebuilt, the old admins handed it over and it was never patched properly...

that should take like 4 hours, tops?