Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress Brady and gently caress the patriots and gently caress the rams

-sincerely, a dude that gives too many shits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That was the stupidest loving thing I've ever witnessed.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I mean its great, but this means hes going to win, Because this is 2019 and we are not allowed to be happy.

I look forward to again posting the words that I have posted previously the Monday after next: "I hate the New England Patriots so loving much"

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Professor Bling posted:

gently caress Brady and gently caress the patriots and gently caress the rams

-sincerely, a dude that gives too many shits

I spent the day helping my dad figure out a oil leak in his truck, the got my assed kicked in NHL19 by my son.

Today was a great day

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
As someone from Saint Louis I liked watching the Rams lose. As a rational human being, I hate watching the Patriots win.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Kill kill kill kill the white man - thank you

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just got back after another two and a half hour drive, and to sum up yesterday: I feel so loving bad for the guy that hosted the party.

Him and his wife always put in so much loving effort to hosting, it usually ends up being a more complex setup than your average American watch party. And of the 13 people that usually show up annually, about four people, including me, "understand" football and we usually try to put what's happening into context for everyone else, and keep folks "on target" for what is an extraordinarily long sportscast. There's always a decent helping of America-jokes, and we usually work through the slower-paced phases by attempting to explain what's "actually" going on, what context there may be for something, what the aim of a team may be in doing something, etc.

There was barely anything we could do this game.

One of the guests had even gone to great lengths to get a day off today, and drove almost twice the distance I did because the guy hosting had promised him that these parties are always so much fun, and really exciting even if you're not a football fan. This was his first Superbowl, and what usually had kept him from coming was the whole soldiering-through-the-night-for-a-sport-that-is-95%-interruption-of-play-breaks-and-commercials. Uh, welp.

Most of the folks that come take part in this fake-betting-pool the host sets up a few weeks before the game to get people to pick a team and get a little emotionally invested. We generally have a pretty even split between both teams, which makes for some fun banter and shittalking. I'm not emotionally invested at all usually because I pretty much stick to college ball. I generally like the Ravens, Saints and Eagles, so it was fairly easy this year to root against the Pats, but outside of that, I'm usually more excited for a good game.

This year, literally the entirety of the folks attending had picked the Rams, with the exception of one single dude. And this is a dude that doesn't know poo poo about poo poo and has this really transparent schtick of keeping his investment into teams "guarded" until the Superbowl is locked in, at which point he claims to always have rooted for whoever is favored to win. He also has a few insufferable qualities that usually are outweighed by him being an okay dude, but in situations like this, they're amplified.

So we've dug into the massive fuckton of advertisers and the pregame program our host had set up for us, we're done laughing about the German pregame show on TV, we've kicked off some mild shittalking with the only Pats fan in the room (being comfortable with his team quite possibly winning), and the game kicks off. And one of the very first things we're treated to is an interception. Mother of creation, we were stoked. Even the guy that basically drove across the entire country was amped up as all hell, this was shaping up to be exactly what he'd been told. A fun evening with riveting sportsball and much hilarity had by everyone.

And then that game followed.

Me and two other "football-understanders" tried as hard as we possibly loving could to frame what was happening, and go "no, you see, it's not really a poo poo game, there's actually a lot happening beneath the surface, the Rams defense is holding up pretty well, stalling the Pats, etc. etc. etc.", but we ran out of gas so drat hard. There was absolutely nothing we could say. All three of us were in full on "lol, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on, what even is the Rams gameplan, what the gently caress was that ref call, why would the Pats run that ball, how have there been zero complete passes longer than like five loving yards, oh they're punting again already lol".

The german commentator team was as lost as we were.

And then that half-time show. Jesus Christ. I mean, we weren't expecting a lot, but Jesus Christ. Adding to the whole clusterfuck throughout the evening was our single fake-Pats fan constantly doing this over-the-top cheering for absolutely everything, even poo poo he didn't understand. It got old so goddamn fast.

Halfway through the third quarter, we salvaged as much as we could by just launching into a full on roast of the entirety of both teams, football in general, and America. Anything to keep folks entertained, and I think we did as well as we could.
But boy howdy, what a disappointment. I felt pretty bad for the guy that racked up like 900km of driving for this, but I felt worse for the guy hosting and his wife. They'd started prepping on loving Tuesday.

So yeah...one dude thoroughly turned off of football forever, and a bunch of Germans that actually stopped drinking beer during a sports event.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

hahahaha, I'm sorry Duzzy. My wife kept asking me why they were running the ball and why it was the game was so low scoring, "Defenses are locked in and they are trying to tire out each other's defenses since they're playing so well right now." So boring for 90% of the audience.

I mean it was good in that sense it was a very defensive and layered game but it was a very boring game outside a few intense moments. The AFC championship really felt like the Super Bowl to me this year.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The people I was watching it with have a 20 something French woman staying with them as an intern and she was quite confused by the (non) events of this game. Puppy Bowl was much more entertaining and beloved by all.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Puppy Bowl never disappoints and the participants are always worth rooting for.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Naked Bear posted:

Puppy Bowl never disappoints and the participants are always worth rooting for.

Hallmark channel started a kitten bowl too

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only good thing about the superbowl is that they made stupid internet nerds mad for not playing a spongebob song at half time

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So yeah...one dude thoroughly turned off of football forever, and a bunch of Germans that actually stopped drinking beer during a sports event.

Dude even the American sportscasters were making fun of it during the game. It was loving weird.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

After this past Sunday, I am so ready for the Alliance of American Football to become reality.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/2/8/18216486/aaf-new-football-league-christian-hackenberg-alliance-american

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

A more obvious, on-field change will neuter kickers. (No, not literally—you’re thinking of the Puppy Bowl.) There won’t be kickoffs, extra points, or onside kicks.

Teams will start from the 25-yard line and will have to go for two points after touchdowns.

Onside kicks will be replaced by a fourth-and-12 try from a team’s own 28-yard line to keep the ball.

Field goals are allowed during regulation but banned in overtime, where each team gets one try from first-and-goal at the 10-yard line, and games can end in ties.

It’s all in an effort to make the game quicker and more streamlined. The play clock is 35 seconds instead of 40, and the goal is to get games finished in two and a half hours instead of three.

these are cool and good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SsIKgwvz4

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't like that at all.

MLB is seriously considering adding the DH to the NL, though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

I don't like that at all.

MLB is seriously considering adding the DH to the NL, though.

i hate the dh but idk if jim abbott wouldve been in the mlb without it despite him being an really loving good pitcher

at least at this point the leagues would be the same and i can shut up about it forever

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

on the other loving hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFsq9FQBlc

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Now that Colon went long, there's not much reason to put it off anymore. Apparently the Player's Assoc has been pushing for it for decades, it's the owner side that's resisting.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/1094412358183718912

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So far the AAF is much better than I would’ve guessed.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

They have mics on a lot of the players and coaches and it is the best thing ever.

"Tell him to catch it this time!"

"That's a terrible spot, ref!" (Guy is clearly a yard short.)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The AAF app lets you stream the games. The Atlanta/Orlando game has been pretty good so far. They just ended the first half, Orlando up 22-6.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Dalmuti posted:

looking ahead to tomorrows contest...theres been a...uhh....pulled groin

Check out @WVTM13’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/WVTM13/status/1094013469865754626?s=09

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Orlando triumphs over Atlanta in a very good 40-6 game.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Naked Bear posted:

They have mics on a lot of the players and coaches and it is the best thing ever.

"Tell him to catch it this time!"

"That's a terrible spot, ref!" (Guy is clearly a yard short.)

My favorite part was when we could hear the play all, but the QB in the huddle couldn't.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

p.s. the Browns signed Kareem Hunt lol

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Naked Bear posted:

p.s. the Browns signed Kareem Hunt lol

I don't know how to rationalize this. Hunt is a piece of poo poo.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Imagine following Steph Curry in a 3 point shooting competition.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rLCqqmiPGY

hahahahahaha

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Smart play. It's like winning the lottery: don't take it the lump sum, spread it out over the next quarter century.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
AB agreed to be traded.

Whelp

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

new poo poo from jon bois!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9H9LwGmc-0

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

i could watch chart party all day every day.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Blues better win this. I want to see that record broken, and I hate the Leafs a whole lot.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Jon Bois is also a good follow on the Twitter

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i was just rewatching him last week and was wondering where he was

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

AB agreed to be traded.

Whelp

I think I'm checking out on the Steelers until Grey Dick retires.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i was just rewatching him last week and was wondering where he was

SBNation (or Vox) fired basically everyone related with video last summer, except for him (as far as I can tell).

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Because everyone here loves the Patriots:

https://deadspin.com/patriots-owner-bob-kraft-charged-with-soliciting-prosti-1832807440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Laughing at that story was today's highlight.