Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

White House policy

quote:

According to the New York Times, on March 23, 2015, more than two months after the outbreak was detected, Pence told a meeting that he was going to go home and pray on it. 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013
It's still pretty astounding that, if that Politico figure actually has raw numbers for the diagnosed population, that only ~32,000 Americans were diagnosed with HIV in 2017. That's less than 1/10the the number that died from HIV/AIDS in 1995.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

AIDS rates in Georgia among Black men are at epidemic levels, reaching 50% of the population.

http://news.emory.edu/features/2018/05/aids-atl/index.html

My understanding is that PrEP has been really great for financially resourced communities without stigma around bring gay/bi, but that's not everyone.

Does anyone believe Trump is going to mention this or try to tackle it?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Your Taint posted:

Don't we pretty much have a handle on HIV now, or am I an idiot?

edit: I want to clarify that I am not trying to minimize HIV in any way, nor am I suggesting we shouldn't still be looking to eradicate it. It's horrible. I only posed the question because if you're going to single out an epidemic, it seems like opioids are the bigger concern right now.
If this was coming from someone other than Mike Pence's disgusting orange sock puppet, I'd take it as genuine. Mostly eliminating new HIV infections in America by 2030 is probably feasible with enough time and effort spent on both education and free distribution of PrEP and transmission-prevention drugs. It's not the most cost-effective way of spending the money in terms of QALYs saved per dollar spent, but it would be a major accomplishment that Americans could feel good about. Unfortunately, in the world we live in, we can probably expect laws forcing seropositive people to wear upside-down pink triangles or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/TurningPointMCR/status/1092155908933734402?s=19

TP UK rollout still going strong

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

WHY IS YOUR FACE SO SMALL

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crow Jane posted:

WHY IS YOUR FACE SO SMALL

that has to be one of the photoshop ones

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cause they photoshopped it (only a little)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Well... TP rollout is normally performed by cats, and we all know how organized they tend to be.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
That can't be a real picture of him. He looks like a low-budget Haley Joel Osment.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

JFairfax posted:

that has to be one of the photoshop ones

It's not

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That is definitely shopped, but its subtle enough that I really wasn't sure at first. A good photoshop.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Don't we pretty much have a handle on HIV now, or am I an idiot?

edit: I want to clarify that I am not trying to minimize HIV in any way, nor am I suggesting we shouldn't still be looking to eradicate it. It's horrible. I only posed the question because if you're going to single out an epidemic, it seems like opioids are the bigger concern right now.

The modern drugs are very good at stopping HIV from turning into AIDS.

The biggest issues now are stigma, detection and affording treatment.

There is a lingering issue on the long term of "So, what is taking extremely powerful drug or drug cocktails, some of which were rushed out, for decades going to do to a person?" but that is a kind of a secondary issue.

The modern drugs are really good. They keep the viral load undetectable. Meaning that if a person took another HIV test, they would show as HIV negative.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Sumbitches posted:

AIDS rates in Georgia among Black men are at epidemic levels, reaching 50% of the population.

http://news.emory.edu/features/2018/05/aids-atl/index.html

My understanding is that PrEP has been really great for financially resourced communities without stigma around bring gay/bi, but that's not everyone.

Does anyone believe Trump is going to mention this or try to tackle it?

i dont know what you meant to quote but the article you cited in support of your claim "half of black men in georgia have aids" doesn't say that. the closest it says is " In fact, AIDS is the leading cause of death for black men in Georgia between the ages of 35 and 44. " which makes sense given that atlanta is one of the most attractive cities for gay black men

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Considering Trump's great success at ending the opoid epidemic, I'm sure finishing off HIV will be a walk in the park.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I'm confused. I thought the British Chapter of TP was a joke.

There are actually Americans trying to earnestly tell young British people how the American system of healthcare, education, and social welfare is better? loving really?

Lmao, it's almost as bad as making a TP Denmark or Sweden chapter

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TulliusCicero posted:

There are actually Americans trying to earnestly tell young British people how the American system of healthcare, education, and social welfare is better? loving really?

It's real. The one I just shared here is the parody account though

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

It is just laughable watching the desperate flailing of the Right to try to make Conservatism hip and cool for the younger generations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Gort posted:

Under what circumstances would someone in the US get $5,000 dollars back after paying their taxes?

Few pages back, but I am getting $5,000+ back this year. A big part of why I got such a big chunk back was that I get my health insurance through healthcare.gov and overestimated how much my wife and I would make in 2018 so they actually owed me more in credits than they paid me (or more accurately, they should have been discounting my monthly premiums more than they did). When I signed up on healthcare.gov in Nov/Dec 2017 my wife and I had just had a baby and I didn't know if she was gonna go back to work full time or part time in January so I just estimated full time.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol some CHUD the other day told me I was lying when I told them I made out worse on my taxes this year

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Great choice

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1092407426769399808

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lil bits

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

They've been trying to turn the British systems into an American one for a while since the intent is to loot everything they can find. Tories and the BNP are allies since they want in on that theft badly.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

friendbot2000 posted:

It is just laughable watching the desperate flailing of the Right to try to make Conservatism hip and cool for the younger generations.

Remember, according to space pirate Dan Crenshaw, the GOP's problem attracting young voters is that they're just not cool enough! Resounding :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

That is definitely shopped, but its subtle enough that I really wasn't sure at first. A good photoshop.

Yeah it’s just a really well done photoshop, as funny as that would be. This is how he really looks for comparison

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

1stGear posted:

Considering Trump's great success at ending the opoid epidemic, I'm sure finishing off HIV will be a walk in the park.

I still get enraged from time to time thinking about when loving Kellyanne Conway suggested opiate addicts should try eating ice cream and french fries instead. loving hate her stupid rear end.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

AOC SOTU guest

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1045673959159517184

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Radish posted:

They've been trying to turn the British systems into an American one for a while since the intent is to loot everything they can find. Tories and the BNP are allies since they want in on that theft badly.
The Tories are trying to do that, certainly, but the BNP are basically dead as a party (and never got a single MP to begin with). The modern overt fash vote UKIP, who also don't have any MPs but do poll at about 5-10%.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait, is this the parody account or is the other one the parody account? Or both?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fallom posted:

Wait, is this the parody account or is the other one the parody account? Or both?

This is why it stinks when people post parody twitters. This, any of the fake rougewhitehousewhatevers and the northkorea one all make these three page cycles of people going "is this real!???!" then people joking "this is real" then people asking "is this REAL????"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
90% of the parody twitters that get posted are obvious parody but people and goons are dumb so yeah it becomes an issue.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

luxury handset posted:

i dont know what you meant to quote but the article you cited in support of your claim "half of black men in georgia have aids" doesn't say that. the closest it says is " In fact, AIDS is the leading cause of death for black men in Georgia between the ages of 35 and 44. " which makes sense given that atlanta is one of the most attractive cities for gay black men

I heard the 50% statistic from a friend in the community, but on further research it's what the CDC is saying will happen if things proceed in the way they are.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is the problem that the verified checkmark was supposed to solve but both twitter and its users misunderstood it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jealous Cow posted:

A bunch of companies and analysts are releasing their findings for a no-deal brexit and, uhhh....

https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1092397027449864194?s=21

I was able to find sources for most of those points. poo poo is gonna be wild. There’s no way they let this happen.

Here's the thing:

The alternative is publicly admitting that they're idiots

So, yeah, gonna happen

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is why it stinks when people post parody twitters. This, any of the fake rougewhitehousewhatevers and the northkorea one all make these three page cycles of people going "is this real!???!" then people joking "this is real" then people asking "is this REAL????"

But the whole point of this debacle is that there's so many pretty convincing parody accounts of TP UK right now that nobody knows who the real racists are and who's taking the piss out of them, and it's hilarious.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
I don't know what started it, but there's been a ton of fake TPUK twitters that have been made to try to muddy the waters and basically dilute their message. Which, in any other case might sound lame, but this is Turning Point, and they're disingenuous chuckleheads anyhow, so- Fight fire with fire! :black101:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

90% of the parody twitters that get posted are obvious parody but people and goons are dumb so yeah it becomes an issue.

If being smart means paying the slightest bit of attention to Turning Point USA I think I can handle being dumb. It's genuinely hard to tell a "legitimate" right-wing account from a parody one, anyway, since their statements are already extreme and laughable.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I mean the hint in this case is that they made ole diaperman's face just sliiiiightly smaller. Slightly.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
His face has simply shrunk because that head is too full of creative and brilliant ideas to own the libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radish posted:

Well when they go over the No Deal Brexit cliff here in a few months they are welcome to loot whatever flaming wreckage is left