Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Eh, I was picturing it a bit more slapsticky

Yeah, that kinda feels like an animatic of a work in progress. The dialogue pacing is pretty drat stilted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, that kinda feels like an animatic of a work in progress. The dialogue pacing is pretty drat stilted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZMEdAIRY0

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah I''ve never been interested in the KH series but man that video does nothing to convince me otherwise. Oof.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the voice direction in the kh games has always been "challenging" at best

after a while you sort of get used to the leaden delivery and halting timing on every line but that just makes it tolerable, not good

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The box art is six generic gothy anime characters (i.e. Square characters) and three Disney characters. I feel like the basic concept for the series ("let's cross JRPGs with Disney IP!") would have been better-served by having only one or two of the former and a lot more of the latter. Do the Disney characters up in belts and impractical weapons, sure, that's fine, but they should really be the stars of the show.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The box art is six generic gothy anime characters (i.e. Square characters) and three Disney characters. I feel like the basic concept for the series ("let's cross JRPGs with Disney IP!") would have been better-served by having only one or two of the former and a lot more of the latter. Do the Disney characters up in belts and impractical weapons, sure, that's fine, but they should really be the stars of the show.

disney's tight-fistedness with how its characters can be used are half the reason the OC's became so prevalent in the first place

kingdom hearts has always been a trainwreck because it's trapped between the whims of its adhd-addled director and disney's byzantine creative law

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In terms of voice acting the Disney characters usually sound okay (even if they don’t always sound like the original voice acting) it’s just the non-Disney guys sound stiff.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Oxxidation posted:

disney's tight-fistedness with how its characters can be used are half the reason the OC's became so prevalent in the first place

kingdom hearts has always been a trainwreck because it's trapped between the whims of its adhd-addled director and disney's byzantine creative law

I think it's 90% the director and storyline, 10% Disney. The Disney stuff is fine if you buy in. But after you've bought into the premise then you have to follow an absolutely batshit storyline with like 3 Ansems and 4 Xehonorts and Org 13 and etc.

Like, it's just bad writing and game design that would be poo poo in anything.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nomura, Director Of The Series And Absolute Dweeblord posted:

If I had to pick, I am a person more on the dark side like Xehanort and co., I harness the burning anger in my heart into what I create,” said Nomura. “Kingdom Hearts III’s current development explodes very much in this sense. Each time, it’s a battle with Sora and co. who are the exact opposite of myself, it’s been over 10 years and yet we haven’t reached a conclusion. 

“This battle will surely last longer. 

“In Kingdom Hearts III as well, I am scheming many challenges that Sora and his friends must overcome, because I myself cannot lose either. And in preparation for the great battle that lies ahead, we have this one book that looks back on their entire journey.” 

bonus quote 
“I actually don’t sympathize or empathize with Sora at all,” Nomura says. Instead, he relates to the game’s mysterious villains, Xehanort or likely Ansem, anyone who’s fallen prey to their dark natures. “I think I’m closer to those characters, so Sora is like my enemy. How I always think of him is I would unleash my attacks on him, and then I draw him in a way that I think he will be able to make a comeback at me. In that sense, I really think that Sora is just like an opposite personality character to who I am.” 

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only reason some guy called Ansem was the bad guy in KH1 was that they thought it would be too simple if Maleficent was the villain from beginning to end. Unfortunately the director then bent over backwards to make this Ansem guy the villain of every story, despite it not being compelling or interesting in any way.

I like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as an antidote because it restarts with a new hero and villain with each installment. What did the author do when he killed off DIO, the time-stopping vampire? He followed up with Yoshikage Kira, the David-Bowie lookalike who explodes people by shaking their hands. He didn't make every part about Jotaro and Dio despite their iconic nature.

Resident Evil 2 is out now and the beautiful thing is you don't need to know a single thing about Resident Evil 1, so you can start here. I don't think a single character shows up in both games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've never completed a single RE entry that has wesker in its story and i am better off for it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

i've never completed a single RE entry that has wesker in its story and i am better off for it

You're really not. Wesker is a delight in 5

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't Wesker show up in the bonus Ada campaign in RE4?

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only reason some guy called Ansem was the bad guy in KH1 was that they thought it would be too simple if Maleficent was the villain from beginning to end. Unfortunately the director then bent over backwards to make this Ansem guy the villain of every story, despite it not being compelling or interesting in any way.

I like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as an antidote because it restarts with a new hero and villain with each installment. What did the author do when he killed off DIO, the time-stopping vampire? He followed up with Yoshikage Kira, the David-Bowie lookalike who explodes people by shaking their hands. He didn't make every part about Jotaro and Dio despite their iconic nature.

Resident Evil 2 is out now and the beautiful thing is you don't need to know a single thing about Resident Evil 1, so you can start here. I don't think a single character shows up in both games.

Brad Vickers (chopper pilot) appears as a secret zombie in the original RE2 and there's a poster of him in the same spot in the remake. I've wasted my life.
:goonsay:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

haveblue posted:

"Ada, I want you to kill Leon. Despite the fact I had zero interactions with the guy in the entire series."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leal posted:

"Ada, I want you to kill Leon. Despite the fact I had zero interactions with the guy in the entire series."

To be fair, Ada's mission was to secure a sample of the Las Plagas virus, the guy who survived and helped foil another outbreak being there was coincidental and incredibly dangerous for Wesker's ambitions since said survivor was an action comedy movie hero

Calaveron has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Feb 4, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

With the shift to photorealism it's odd to think that the average-looking Chris Redfield seen in RE7 once punched a boulder out of his way into a volcano, or that the pretty-boy rookie-cop Leon would later suplex spanish-zombies. I wonder how they handwave all this wacky-stuff when it's mentioned in the grounded, realistic RE games.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

With the shift to photorealism it's odd to think that the average-looking Chris Redfield seen in RE7 once punched a boulder out of his way into a volcano, or that the pretty-boy rookie-cop Leon would later suplex spanish-zombies. I wonder how they handwave all this wacky-stuff when it's mentioned in the grounded, realistic RE games.

Please mention one single grounded, realistic RE game

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

haveblue posted:

I think it's also very clear that he's the background "villain" by the end of the main campaign.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Because if you're implying RE7 is grounded and or realistic, that's the game where you get your hand chainsawed off and then stapled back on and it takes because you're infected with a virus that is turning you into fungus and the first aid sprays are essentially miracle gro. Also you have a chainsaw swordfight with a boss who hours prior chased you around driving your car inside his garage, complimenting your sweet ride the entire time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And I'm not even mentioning the dlc campaign that has you play as the villain's insanely Cajun bayou brother who fights fungi zombies with nothing but his fists, sweet wrestling moves, and improvised wooden spears

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
He was obviously referring to RE6

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

HenryEx posted:

He was obviously referring to RE6

The game where the son of the man who became a super zombie and was defeated by being blown up in a volcano does super karate at other zombies and has main villains that become a zombie t rex and a zombie giant fly that is destroyed by being stabbed with a lightning rod that was struck being struck by lightning at the same time? That game?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Resident evil is loving awesome

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Capcom took the complete wrong message from RE4.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

Capcom took the complete wrong message from RE4.

Elucidate

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

An evolution in tone and controls and a very refined environment that encouraged experimentation is what made it good.

Not batshit DBZ crap.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

An evolution in tone and controls and a very refined environment that encouraged experimentation is what made it good.

Not batshit DBZ crap.

Resident Evil Code Veronica already had crazy fight scenes and that preceded 4

EDIT: And playing whatshisface and Sherry's campaign like a beat em up was the best way to do it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RE6 shows me that Capcom still knows how to make dinosaurs. WHERE IS MY GODDAMN DINO CRISIS REMAKE YOU BASTARDS

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I really want to play RE6, it sounds like the best kind of bad game and when I mentioned it to my friend they basically responded with "Hell yes I want to coop re6"

Speaking of good coop games, lost planet 2 was one of the best coop games I ever played and was pretty much peak capcom, and I eagerly await a remaster or a new one made in the same vein. I know it's a pipe dream but frankly with RE7, Monster hunter world, and now a actual Devil may Cry 5 coming out I feel like I can at least hope.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I started playing Resident Evil 6 co-op and it's great. Full of jank and bullshit deaths and QTEs but even so.

Like, they took the melee moves you could previously only do when you shot a zombie in the right spot and now you can just always do it. "Sidekick a zombie" is just a button now. And when you do shoot them then it lets you flip them around or do elbow drops.

The only downside so far is that against anything but the basic enemies I have no idea of how much damage I've actually done. How much damage do zombie dogs take? I dunno, apparently "every bullet in this pistol". Those skinless guys? I dunno, it's either three or ten shotgun blasts. This big gasbag? Built like a tank.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of my problems with RE6 is they had enough ideas for maybe one and a half campaigns of actually good content, but made three and a half campaigns, so each one is 50-65% obnoxious filler of one stripe or another.

wait, what thread is this? Uh, Anthem's flight controls feel fun? They nailed that feel even if the moment to moment gunplay is pretty generic.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Feb 5, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not batshit DBZ crap.

both things made it good

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wargroove has a lot of love and polish that went into it but my favorite touch is that when the dog units take damage during the attack animation they run away instead of having a death poof like humanoid units :kimchi:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best feature of RE6 is they patched in a "auto complete all QTE" option.

Edit: that or getting to play as Ada Wongs imaginary friend, also patched in

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The monster sound effects are amazing in Resident Evil 2, especially the really loud female zombie hiss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know the exact sound you're speaking of and it will always make me jump out of my skin.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Zoig posted:

I really want to play RE6, it sounds like the best kind of bad game and when I mentioned it to my friend they basically responded with "Hell yes I want to coop re6"

Speaking of good coop games, lost planet 2 was one of the best coop games I ever played and was pretty much peak capcom, and I eagerly await a remaster or a new one made in the same vein. I know it's a pipe dream but frankly with RE7, Monster hunter world, and now a actual Devil may Cry 5 coming out I feel like I can at least hope.

You should, RE6 is the only game in the series I've played all the way through and that's because it's the best co-op game in forever. On my own I could just never be arsed getting through those.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not batshit DBZ crap.

I mean RE4 had you getting chased by a giant mechanical Salazar, a jet ski ride to escape an exploding island base, and a castle the size of Rhode Island with a dedicated lava room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got through 3.5 of the 4 RE6 campaigns and then just quit. As much as I love every other game in the series, I couldn't do it.
Granted I was playing them all on hard mode without a co-op partner so that MAYBE had something to do with it

As for the 2 remake, the sound design really is great. I finally have a proper surround sound setup at home, and hiding out while I listen to Mr.X's footsteps go all over the place above me is tense as hell