Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cobalt60 posted:

whoops i'm a dumbshit

This 2008 128i I got is great. I saw the USB port and assumed "absolutely all of my contemporary iPhone expectations are satisfied" without testing." lol

Is there some way to satisfy all my contemporary iPhone + auto expectations, or should I just get a replacement head unit?

What are you trying to do with it? If you don't have the navigation, I'm pretty sure all you can do is bluetooth phone calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
play music and podcasts and the sound from the maps

EDIT: No nav or dash storage bay, which I like, but I'd still like to pipe Spotify through the speakers if I can

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not sure if I'm not understanding you or you're not understanding me, but yes, we are in a car forum!

"Manuals are the only valid transmission choice and everyone who buys any auto is broken or a huge loser" -every car forum poster on every car forum except the 2 or 3 saying "actually my [cvt/dct/ultrashift/powerglide-derivative] is vastly superior and you'd need to be some kinda deranged masochist to want to bang gears all day like a literal indentured slave"

poster A is the correct one 3 pedals or death

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cobalt60 posted:

EDIT: No nav or dash storage bay, which I like, but I'd still like to pipe Spotify through the speakers if I can

Does it have an auxilary port? If so, buy a 3mm audio cable and plug it into your phone. You can also buy a bluetooth dongle. It has to be charged, but it plugs into the aux port and you connect via bluetooth. That's what I did in my 135.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

NumbersMatching320 posted:

"Manuals are the only valid transmission choice and everyone who buys any auto is broken or a huge loser" -every car forum poster on every car forum except the 2 or 3 saying "actually my [cvt/dct/ultrashift/powerglide-derivative] is vastly superior and you'd need to be some kinda deranged masochist to want to bang gears all day like a literal indentured slave"

poster A is the correct one 3 pedals or death

how the hell you gonna eat hot pockets while shifting gears? lmao

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Jealous Cow posted:

Newer iDrive is a big one, and I think there was an LCI for 2011 so there would be some updated styling as well.

Sedans got the LCI treatment starting the 2009 model year including the updated iDrive, LED tail lights and different front fascia. 2011 was the only year the ZCP (comp package) option was offered.
Coupes got the LCI treatment for the 2011 model year.

Cobalt60 posted:

whoops i'm a dumbshit

This 2008 128i I got is great. I saw the USB port and assumed "absolutely all of my contemporary iPhone expectations are satisfied" without testing." lol

Is there some way to satisfy all my contemporary iPhone + auto expectations, or should I just get a replacement head unit?

I’ve got it in my amazon wish list and I’m phone posting so :effort: but it’s a thing called Tune 2 Air you want to buy. Runs about $89. I think it’s by benovo or something. I’ll quote and post again tomorrow from a computer.

I think I’ll go ahead and write up a lengthy buyers guide to the E9X if people are interested. Seems like a lot of people are asking about the platform over the last couple months.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know a huge amount about E90 M3s, is there any particular reason that 2011 is a more desirable year than a 2009 or 2010? Because I've run across single owner M3s that are a year or two older than that car with half the miles going for less than that guy is trying to get. I realize the color combination is unusual, but a $5k premium seems excessive.

The only thing worth caring about is the iDrive is bigly updated in the 2010. The "upgraded" iDrives even in the newest one is still going to be less nice than your iPhone 4 was, so there isn't really a lot to worry about the 'older' ones being cheaper for anything other than higher miles.

Every other change across the whole run is tiny cosmetic changes, in like 2010.5 or so you were able to get the "Competition Package" which is the (admittedly cool) newer wheel set. The 2008 has a feature as standard that was later rolled into an option package ('the cold weather package') in later years. Also in 2010 I think is when they changed out the taillights, which some people care about the facelifted taillight look - but I can't really tell the difference when I see the LCI versions vs a pre-LCI, and I own one of these.

I'm thinking about doing that tablet insert that was posted a few weeks ago, I think that'd be a lot more useful than caring about the iDrive version if you're on the fence between years of these - but then again I barely even listen to the (upgraded) sound system since the car sounds so good on its own.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So it sounds like the 2011 versus 2009/10 e90 sedan may not have been as big of a change as the coupe was, since sedans are LCI starting in 2009? Silly question, but will that updated iDrive version let me play Spotify/Waze through USB?

Sounds like half of you think this red car is a decent price, the other half think it's overpriced. Maybe I'll hold off to see if I can get it for 25k

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 4, 2019

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Aside from the wheels it's nearly impossible to tell a LCI vs a non-LCI. The wheels are good, and cool. But so are the Fuchs M220's which I'm really thinking about painting a darker color this year. Talk me into/out of it!

I'd buy it in a heartbeat for 28k if I wanted a manual 4-door. I waited 2 years for the car I wanted.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know a huge amount about E90 M3s, is there any particular reason that 2011 is a more desirable year than a 2009 or 2010? Because I've run across single owner M3s that are a year or two older than that car with half the miles going for less than that guy is trying to get. I realize the color combination is unusual, but a $5k premium seems excessive.
IIRC, they went coupe/convertible only for 2012-2013, so if some one wants the most recent e9x sedans, it needs to be 2011. That could be part of it.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

User Error posted:

E30 update

lol

Nice. That looks like mine. Good excuse to learn to weld. 😆

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
BMW must be spending a fortune on product placement these days. We just finished Bodyguard and Jack Ryan, and literally every car used by any named character in each series was some flavor of BMW.

Or have they always done this and I'm only now noticing?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

BMW must be spending a fortune on product placement these days. We just finished Bodyguard and Jack Ryan, and literally every car used by any named character in each series was some flavor of BMW.

Or have they always done this and I'm only now noticing?

I just realized I was basically driving this exact car when this movie came out

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Was this worth watching? I need something new to binge.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BlackMK4 posted:

Was this worth watching? I need something new to binge.

Loved it, a lot. Watch the opening scene, at least. It's one of the more gripping series openers I've ever seen.

Plus it's nice to see Robb Stark doing well.

Sort of well.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Counterpart on Starz has a lot of 90's BMW in it, by a lot I mean like 2 or so. A Norwegian show called Occupied has a few random BMW's in it as well.

I think SUV's are starting to slowly become more acceptable in Europe based on occasionally watching the German news and seeing them sitting in alpine storm traffic and watching biathlon/cross-country skiing broadcasts where there is a new X5 billboard every 10 feet.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 4, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

You might see if Carly can add it. https://shop.mycarly.com/en/adapter/retrofit/carly-bluetooth-multimedia-aux-interface-for-1-series-bmw/a-9003/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Loved it, a lot. Watch the opening scene, at least. It's one of the more gripping series openers I've ever seen.

Plus it's nice to see Robb Stark doing well.

Sort of well.

Thanks, gonna grab it :)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oh. It was my alternator. Again??

At least I can get a free swap at Autozone.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

well duh, the bottom of the coffee cup in my right hand is concave, hot pocket goes in the left with the wheel

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This from the guy who's complaining his new M2 doesn't have enough... something... to keep his garbage contained while he's driving it like an M2 should be driven while it has 40x more useful cupholders than an E9x car has but is otherwise 100% exactly the same layout and dimensions inside? (Aside from the slightly disappointingly slim wheel rim). double big Gulp capacity x2 and mine doesn't even hold a small bottle of water properly. How many miles until your break-in is done?

Also how is there no "do a burnout" emoji yet in this drat subforum?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just lol if your BMWs are new enough to have American sized cup holders.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Also holy poo poo it has seriously rained 100% continuously since I ordered those tires, mudslides ahoy but I am going to try and get my boy who just got a new Giulia out onto Decker next weekend if it's clear, the green-ness will be insane after all this rain. (0.5 inches in the last 12 months)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Popete posted:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ether Frenzy posted:

How many miles until your break-in is done?

I'm at 495 miles, averaging about 60 miles per week. I need to get it done so I can do that break in service and try taking it out of Comfort mode and see what Sport+ is all about.

Bimmerpost leads me to believe I'll immediately do a 180 and end up in a ditch

I've still never floored it or gotten it above ~3,500rpm

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man where the gently caress did I get the number 3500 from? The manual clearly says I can do 5,500 in the first 1,200 miles

Dammit!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

It must be so embarrassing to be an American.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just lol if you’re bmw has a console or leather seats quite frsnkul

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
if I blow up my engine as a result of too much leather heaviness, I'll put a V12 in it

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bimmerpost leads me to believe I'll immediately do a 180 and end up in a ditch

I've still never floored it or gotten it above ~3,500rpm
lmao. If you can somehow spin this car I will send you a gift certficate for the hat you were robbed of, it's the single easiest to drive car ever and it probably cannot spin itself even with the traction control completely off. It's so benign and well balanced, it's like an E30 that has a bit of power.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 5, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

Just lol if you’re bmw has a console or leather seats quite frsnkul

Ether Frenzy posted:

if I blow up my engine as a result of too much leather heaviness, I'll put a V12 in it

AI.jpg

Well done.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Popete posted:

The only thing that I'm not happy about is the wirless charging in the center armrest. My Note9 is too big to fit in it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Dude just buy one. You can afford it. You drive a BMW.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Popete posted:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I would again like to thank Deutschland for making these cars easy to work on; dudes have clearly had to fix cars in parking lots before.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Popete posted:

Just lol if your BMWs are new enough to have cup holders.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think it’s crazy that a large cup from Subway is like 44oz or something.

And that it fits in my BMW’s cup holders

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

Counterpart on Starz has a lot of 90's BMW in it, by a lot I mean like 2 or so. A Norwegian show called Occupied has a few random BMW's in it as well.

A couple of years ago I remember watching several different mediocre TV shows and kept seeing a red E30 M3 popping up in the background in an episode or two of a few different shows. Never the entire car, but enough to know what it was. The only show I specifically remember seeing it in was that Hawaii Five-O reboot, but I know I've seen it pop in other trash action shows. I wonder if a director or producer or someone has one and likes to stick it in background shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

In high school I drove my Dads bronzit e30 with no cup holders. But he "upgraded" it with door card insert cup holders that wobbled around.