Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It's an opinion I've seen a few times re: literary fiction where it just breaks peoples' believability if someone's having a think about some deep issues and then pulls out their cell phone to call someone or something. From what I can tell it comes from the idea that well, folks in classic novels never got out cell phones, so it feels weird when folks in modern novels do. But if everyone did that, people in novels would still be wearing top hats and riding in horse-drawn carriages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
That seems like a weird complaint. I could see how maybe a cell phone can break a conflict, by easily solving some problem, but that's a different thing altogether.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Djeser posted:

It's an opinion I've seen a few times re: literary fiction where it just breaks peoples' believability if someone's having a think about some deep issues and then pulls out their cell phone to call someone or something. From what I can tell it comes from the idea that well, folks in classic novels never got out cell phones, so it feels weird when folks in modern novels do. But if everyone did that, people in novels would still be wearing top hats and riding in horse-drawn carriages.

that's fatuous. so this is literary fiction set in vaguely modern times?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I mean, if you want the most realistic depiction possible just never have a character stop using a cell phone.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

No, no, the battery is the awesome bit. It's captured baby lightning.

Are there good examples of stories with animal characters, not for the stories themselves, but for the approaches to describing nature from a small animal/bird perspective? I looked through a few bits of The Wind in the Willows, but can't think of anything else. Tried Watership Down, but it has a more remote, human, view of the events.
It's not even for a full thing, just for a chapter or two in the middle of something completely different.

Song of the Crow by Layne Maheu is my favorite animal POV.

Oh and I think writing is going to have to contend with cell phones and etc eventually so the more people who try it and gently caress up the better. Our reality is going to continue to seem more and more scifi from a literary perspective and we can't only write pre-information age stories and spec fic.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

sebmojo posted:

duncton wood

Yeah this. You don't get much more weird small-animal perspective than a series of books that delve deep into the theologies of moles.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

sebmojo posted:

duncton wood
Oh, I like this. Turns out I like verbs, buckets of them, sloshing and mixing together.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Cell phones are an incredibly normal and everyday part of modern life. You really can't write believable contemporary characters anymore and have them never ever use cellphones or the internet, unless they're in some social/cultural situation where their access to technology is restricted.

Rather than minimize cell phones in fiction, I think it's better to embrace their presence. Use them, the way they change communication. Use characters not picking up, sending vague text messages, googling things. This is just part of how we live now, pretending it's not there gets weird.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hungry posted:

Cell phones are an incredibly normal and everyday part of modern life. You really can't write believable contemporary characters anymore and have them never ever use cellphones or the internet, unless they're in some social/cultural situation where their access to technology is restricted.

Rather than minimize cell phones in fiction, I think it's better to embrace their presence. Use them, the way they change communication. Use characters not picking up, sending vague text messages, googling things. This is just part of how we live now, pretending it's not there gets weird.

thanks that's probably the answer i should have given

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
does anyone have any fiction that authentically captures internet communication? whenever i try, it either comes off as super cheesy, or like im an old guy trying to desperately to be understand the youths even tho im 22 and have never known a life before the internet. i want to see how people in prose deal with this kind of stuff because i sure as hell dont know how to

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i think there are so many different forms of it, irc isn't forum shitposting isn't Facebook wall replies isn't tumblr posts

i liked the bit in John dies at the end where they are doing irc and it turns into a demonic chant.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Depends on the character, too. Is it someone's grandma who has to pull out her hand-written notes on how to send an email or someone's grandma the former IRIX sysadmin who is checking on her Bitcoin wallet's encryption?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

flerp posted:

does anyone have any fiction that authentically captures internet communication? whenever i try, it either comes off as super cheesy, or like im an old guy trying to desperately to be understand the youths even tho im 22 and have never known a life before the internet. i want to see how people in prose deal with this kind of stuff because i sure as hell dont know how to

Both of Sally Rooney's published novels handle long/ongoing email and text exchanges elegantly.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i can see why cell phones ruin all conflict because since we've had phones the world has been a great place to live and nobody ever fights.

my phone definitely never causes me any problems

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
True. Not all conflicts, but specific ones. There's been jokes about certain stories basically being over instantly if cell phones were a thing in that time period.

Oh yeah, here's a College Humor sketch on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2B9F-GPm0

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

is silence of the lambs one? because all the tension of that basement scene really goes away when she could whip out her cell phone and call for help or at least have a flash light.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

is silence of the lambs one? because all the tension of that basement scene really goes away when she could whip out her cell phone and call for help or at least have a flash light.

it just becomes a new mcguffin to be lost, break, get stolen

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The Odyssey wouldn't work if Odysseus had a compass and The Canterbury Tales wouldn't work if they all had cars. :smug:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lord of the Rings w/cell phones posted:

Pippin sat with his knees drawn up and the phone between them.... At first the screen was dark, black as jet.... Then he tapped the link and there came a faint glow and stir in the heart of its screen, and it held his eyes, so that now he could not look away. Soon all the inside seemed red and pulsating; the phone was vibrating, or the fingers within were grasping. Suddenly the lights went out. He gave a gasp and struggled; but he remained bent, clasping the phone with both hands. Closer and closer he bent, and then became rigid; his lips moved soundlessly for a while. Then with a strangled cry he fell back and lay still....

All the camp was soon astir.

'So this is the thief!' said Gandalf. Hastily he cast his cloak over the phone where it lay.... 'This is a grievous turn to things!' He knelt by Pippin's body: the hobbit was lying on his back rigid, with unseeing eyes staring up at the sky.... 'What mischief has he done — to himself, and to all of us?' The wizard's face was drawn and haggard.

In a low and hesitating voice Pippin began again.... 'I, I looked at the grasping hands.... the pulsating meat.... the hanging pouch. But... the ring! The ring!' said Pippin. 'There's no ring! No ring! And he covets it!'

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty sure cyberpunk cracked a lot of these nuts decades ago.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In going over my own writing, I've noticed that I tend to be really aggressive about tacking on descriptions after dialogue. A lot of what I write ends up looking like

quote:

"We need to steal our cave back," Ugg said, scratching his back nervously.

"I dunno about that." Thud dissented, tension pinching his features together. "The neanderthals probably fortified it and deployed in depth by now; a frontal assault would be suicidal."

In contrast, an awful lot of fiction I read seems to prefer keeping description and dialogue distinctly blocked out, as in:

quote:

"We need to steal our cave back," Ugg said.

The younger caveman fidgeted as they cowered under the cliffside, scratching his back just to give his hands something to do.

"I dunno about that." Thud dissented, "The neanderthals probably fortified it and deployed in depth by now; a frontal assault would be suicidal."

Thud's thick features were knotted with tension- unlike his brother, he had seen what the archaic humans were capable of firsthand.

So is there a hard and fast rule here, or is it just stylistic preference? I personal prefer the first example, but that's probably just because it's intuitive to me; I could easily see the second style scanning more fluently across a long story.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I think this is a corollary to keeping dialogue tags simple. Adding flourishes sparingly is fine, but if every “he said...” is followed by some kind of description it gets old. Whereas closing dialogue off and then expositing through prose doesn’t have the same element of repetition.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Cheap trick: Instead of using a dialogue tag, pair the dialogue with action from that character.

quote:

"We need to steal our cave back." Ugg scratched his back nervously.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Djeser posted:

Cheap trick: Instead of using a dialogue tag, pair the dialogue with action from that character.

This is a good tip. I continually underestimated readers' abilities to follow dialogue scenes. People are generally good about assuming who is saying what if you do stuff like Djeser said.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Djeser posted:

This is generally how I tend to write, but I've run into a lot of issues with breaking up action and dialogue.

quote:

"We need to steal our cave back." Ugg scratched his back nervously. "But the neanderthals probably fortified it and deployed in depth by now; a frontal assault would be suicidal." He threw his hands up into the air. "So maybe it's not worth doing to begin with!" Ugg looked toward Thud. "Don't you agree?"

Thud hemmed and hawed. His thick features were knotted with tension—unlike his brother, he had seen what the archaic humans were capable of firsthand. "Yeah, I guess so."

Thud threw a rock at the wall in frustration.

Are there any comprehensive resources for navigating this?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I don't think this is something you can find comprehensive resources on, because largely, you shouldn't just be following One Rule. It mostly just comes down to reading the poo poo outta everything you can find. Think about intent while you're writing though - why is it important that we know Ugg's scratching, then throwing hands, then turning to Thud in that specific order, and why do we need an explicit blow-by-blow order of things? Readers are pretty good at imagining the blanks.

I kinda prefer separating up dialog with only a couple of actions in pretty short paragraphs - lots of "SPEECH" action "SPEECH" action "SPEECH" makes it super weird to read and follow. Like, pick the One Action that you want to get across and use that as your only separator. In your example:

quote:

Ugg scratched his back nervously. "We need to steal our cave back. But the neanderthals probably fortified it and deployed in depth by now; a frontal assault would be suicidal." He threw his hands up into the air, then turned to Thud. "So maybe it's not worth doing to begin with! Don't you agree?"
You're contextualizing the dialog at first, because you want there to be a few actions. Then after saying some stuff, you're breaking up the dialog with the action and giving it a followup response, then closing with more dialog. This is just how I do things, keep in mind, because a lot of this does come down to style.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Omi no Kami posted:

In going over my own writing, I've noticed that I tend to be really aggressive about tacking on descriptions after dialogue. A lot of what I write ends up looking like

In contrast, an awful lot of fiction I read seems to prefer keeping description and dialogue distinctly blocked out, as in:

So is there a hard and fast rule here, or is it just stylistic preference? I personal prefer the first example, but that's probably just because it's intuitive to me; I could easily see the second style scanning more fluently across a long story.

Thing is, the two examples you give describe two different things. In the first one he scratches his back as he speaks. In the other example he scratches his back after he speaks.

So for one it depends on what you want to convey to the reader.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"X said" is generally invisible and can be freely sprinkled in among all these examples for variety.

quote:

"The neanderthals," Ugg said. "They're using modern military tactics."

"Yes." Thud plucked a grub out of his beard and ate it.

Ugg grimaced. "Dude."

"What?"

"That grub," Ugg clarified. "You know we're supposed to share our rations."

"Oh, heh." Thud scratched his head sheepishly. "Sorry."

Without warning, the neanderthal army caught them in a pincer formation. There were no survivors.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Piggybacking off of Whalley, but a good exercise to figure out what works for you might be to just write the dialogue for the scene first, then figure out where it seems right to fit in some physical description.

I've been reading the Witcher books lately as I try to expose myself to more writing styles, and the writing there is really weird to me because it's so, so dialogue-heavy when people are talking and so lacking in physical descriptions, but it still works. Since I tend to prefer to have at least a few descriptions to break it up, it's fascinating to read something that leans hard on the opposite end of the scale, and it also allows for some really good moments that physical descriptions could interfere with. For example, there's a whole four segments with absolutely no description and only dialogue, with one of my favorite parts:

quote:

“Don’t squeal. Practise! Attack, dodge! Parry! Half-piroutte! Parry, full pirouette! Steadier on the posts, drat it! Don’t wobble! Lunge, thrust! Faster! Half-pirouette! Jump and cut! That’s it! Very good!”

“Really? Was that really very good, Lambert?”

“Who said so?”

“You did! A moment ago!”

“Slip of the tongue. Attack! Half-pirouette! Dodge! And again! Ciri, where was the parry? How many times do I have to tell you? After you dodge you always parry, deliver a blow with the blade to protect your head and shoulders! Always!”

“Even when I’m only fighting one opponent?”

“You never know what you’re fighting. You never know what’s happening behind you. You always have to cover yourself. Foot and sword work! It’s got to be a reflex. Reflex, understand? You mustn’t forget that. You forget it in a real fight and you’re finished. Again! At last! That’s it! See how such a parry lands? You can take any strike from it. You can cut backwards from it, if you have to. Right, show me a pirouette and a thrust backwards.”

“Haaa!”

“Very good. You see the point now? Has it got through to you?”

“I’m not stupid!”

“You’re a girl. Girls don’t have brains.”

“Lambert! If Triss heard that!”

“If ifs and ands were pots and pans. All right, that’s enough. Come down. We’ll take a break.”

“I’m not tired!”

“But I am. I said, a break. Come down from the comb.”

“Turning a somersault?”

“What do you think? Like a hen off its roost? Go on, jump. Don’t be afraid, I’m here for you.”

“Haaaa!”

“Nice. Very good—for a girl. You can take off the blindfold now.”

Obviously the whole book isn't like that, but it's very important to consider that there are a bunch of ways to do what you want. This bit could be done with some physical description, but we already know these characters decently by this point, so we can mentally see what they're doing well enough and the breathless pace of it and the "wait, what" ending probably would be weakened by more description. That's why I'd suggest trying to write the dialogue first, then seeing how adding description sparingly around it goes.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

This is generally how I tend to write, but I've run into a lot of issues with breaking up action and dialogue.

Also look into your formatting.

Strunk and White posted:

In dialogue, each speech, even if only a single word, is a paragraph by itself; that is,
a new paragraph begins with each change of speaker. The application of this rule,
when dialogue and narrative are combined, is best learned from examples in wellprinted
works of fiction.

so, without changing any wording:

quote:

"We need to steal our cave back."

Ugg scratched his back nervously.

"But the neanderthals probably fortified it and deployed in depth by now; a frontal assault would be suicidal."

He threw his hands up into the air.

"So maybe it's not worth doing to begin with!"

Ugg looked toward Thud.

"Don't you agree?"

Thud hemmed and hawed. His thick features were knotted with tension—unlike his brother, he had seen what the archaic humans were capable of firsthand.

"Yeah, I guess so."

At this point, you can probably merge some of your action parts. It still starts feeling a little awkward, though. I'd consider just merging the dialog.

quote:

"We need to steal our cave back. But the neanderthals probably fortified it and deployed in depth by now; a frontal assault would be suicidal."

Ugg scratched his back nervously, threw his hands up into the air, then looked at Thud.

"So maybe it's not worth doing to begin with! Don't you agree?"

Thud hemmed and hawed. His thick features were knotted with tension—unlike his brother, he had seen what the archaic humans were capable of firsthand.

"Yeah, I guess so."

It's still kinda awkward, though. I'd probably just use one action to identify the speaker, then switch to alternating speaker without any tags.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm, yeah I tend to be a very visual writer; I imagine the scene in my head and then try to translate it into words. Maybe I'm just trying to do too much work for the reader and not let enough up to the imagination. A particularly egregious example from a current draft:

quote:

“Ah.” The man pursed his lips and gave a slow nod. “I suspect you got that idea from one of your science-fiction magazines, yes?”

“Science fact!” Mary-Sue crossed her arms, then pushed her lips to the side. “Well, speculation, anyway.” She swung her bookbag around and yanked the zipper open. “See, I’ve heard reports that something strange is going on in the woods around town. And, well, I read an article in Sight that mutant creatures might wander the countryside, horribly altered from nuclear radiation.”

She pulled the issue of Sight out from her bag and handed it over to the man.

“Hmph.” Dr. Oxford studied the cover carefully, taking a long drag from his pipe. “I think you’ve let that imagination of yours get the best of you.” He opened the magazine and flipped through, letting a trail of smoke drift out from his nostrils. After a few moments he shut it and handed it back. “Because the unfortunate reality is that the sort of mutation that radiation encourages is strictly the deadly kind—just look to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.”

“Oh.” Mary-Sue nodded, casting her eyes down toward the floor. She slipped the magazine back into her knapsack. “Yes, of course. We learned all about what happened in history class.”

Based on the S&W I can see breaking that up into more paragraphs, but stylistically I feel like a good amount of the mood would be missed if I cut out some of those action details.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think you can over describe physicality during dialogue, i call it blocking after the theatrical term. It's one of the things, like adverbs, where it's a strong candidate for cutting ruthlessly during the edit.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Springboarding a bit off of the cell phone discussion from a couple of days ago:

I'm working on a horror novel that, to put it broadly, involves technology to a decent degree, and I'm kind of struggling with when I should set it. I figure I have two options:

1) set it in the present, and contend with the necessary evils of either accounting for readily-available and really drat useful things like cell phones, or come up with some explanation for why they can't be used as intended

or

2) shift it into the past (probably the late 80s/early 90's) and avoid some of those problems entirely.

My inclination is to go with option 2, in part because I think the story benefits from being set at a time where stuff like video and audio recording tech, and computing power, wasn't as accessible to the average person. But I'm worried that if I do that, it'll transparently feel like I set it pre-information age purely to not have to deal with those problems, and that I'll then have to do a lot of footwork to make sure I'm technologically accurate from a historical perspective (though that wouldn't be too onerous, I think).

Any thoughts on going with one option over the other? I think the story also benefits from a certain degree of geographical isolation that's a little harder to achieve if the main character can just shoot an email to someone across the country with digital stills asking "yo wtf is happening here"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Springboarding a bit off of the cell phone discussion from a couple of days ago:

I'm working on a horror novel that, to put it broadly, involves technology to a decent degree, and I'm kind of struggling with when I should set it. I figure I have two options:

1) set it in the present, and contend with the necessary evils of either accounting for readily-available and really drat useful things like cell phones, or come up with some explanation for why they can't be used as intended

or

2) shift it into the past (probably the late 80s/early 90's) and avoid some of those problems entirely.

My inclination is to go with option 2, in part because I think the story benefits from being set at a time where stuff like video and audio recording tech, and computing power, wasn't as accessible to the average person. But I'm worried that if I do that, it'll transparently feel like I set it pre-information age purely to not have to deal with those problems, and that I'll then have to do a lot of footwork to make sure I'm technologically accurate from a historical perspective (though that wouldn't be too onerous, I think).

Any thoughts on going with one option over the other? I think the story also benefits from a certain degree of geographical isolation that's a little harder to achieve if the main character can just shoot an email to someone across the country with digital stills asking "yo wtf is happening here"

Unless you think the tone/"feel" of the 80s would suit the story better, or you're cynically shooting for Stranger Things nostalgia, I think you'd do better to set it in the current time.

You mentioned geographical isolation. I live in New Mexico and there are big chunks of the state where cell service isn't available at all. People on (IIRC) T-Mobile have told me they basically only get service along the I-40 and I-25 interstates. Some places you can make calls but data isn't available. Some places you get enough of a signal to see a few bars on the screen, but if you try to make a phone call it'll drop immediately.

Other things to consider: a lot of people are absolutely dogshit at answering email, so although the guy can email someone across the country, it may be a week before he gets an answer, or he might go straight into the spam folder. I've seen SMS messages between iPhones and other phones get delayed for days with no indication to the sender that this is happening. Contact info on websites can be out of date, like a guy quit but they still have his extension listed rather than his replacement.

Also, now that everybody's on the Internet, it's super full of cranks. If your character sends an email with a bunch of pictures to somebody who's well-known in a particular field, she might just delete it out of hand because she already gets 20 emails a week proving Bigfoot exists.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, if a story problem can be solved by a simple phone call then it probably wasn't a very interesting problem to begin with. Allow the restrictions created by the use of technology to force your story to be more well-rounded.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Unless you think the tone/"feel" of the 80s would suit the story better, or you're cynically shooting for Stranger Things nostalgia, I think you'd do better to set it in the current time.

You mentioned geographical isolation. I live in New Mexico and there are big chunks of the state where cell service isn't available at all. People on (IIRC) T-Mobile have told me they basically only get service along the I-40 and I-25 interstates. Some places you can make calls but data isn't available. Some places you get enough of a signal to see a few bars on the screen, but if you try to make a phone call it'll drop immediately.

Other things to consider: a lot of people are absolutely dogshit at answering email, so although the guy can email someone across the country, it may be a week before he gets an answer, or he might go straight into the spam folder. I've seen SMS messages between iPhones and other phones get delayed for days with no indication to the sender that this is happening. Contact info on websites can be out of date, like a guy quit but they still have his extension listed rather than his replacement.

Also, now that everybody's on the Internet, it's super full of cranks. If your character sends an email with a bunch of pictures to somebody who's well-known in a particular field, she might just delete it out of hand because she already gets 20 emails a week proving Bigfoot exists.

Thanks, this is all good stuff worth pondering, I'll mull over it a bit.

feedmyleg posted:

Also, if a story problem can be solved by a simple phone call then it probably wasn't a very interesting problem to begin with. Allow the restrictions created by the use of technology to force your story to be more well-rounded.

Oh for sure, and fundamentally none of the big plot problems are solvable with something as simple and straightforward as a phone call, I'm thinking in a broader sense of the world feeling more isolated. Like, I grew up in North Dakota in the late 90's/early 2000's, and even that late, traveling through the middle of the state felt like you were kind of on your own in the middle of nowhere, given how spotty cell signal was. I really want the setting to feel like the MC is kind of on their own, while still being in the middle of the country. Honestly it was reading Universal Harvester that made me even consider setting it earlier, that book has a feeling of unsettling, lonely nostalgia that I really liked, but I'm not sure it's something that I could or should straight-up manufacture for this book.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I mean, you can get around this too. Maybe your ghosts or whatever don't show up in photographs, because reasons. Maybe there's no cell reception (or terrestrial Internet) because *weird supernatural poo poo*. Maybe all electronic devices get hit by ghost-EMP halfway through your story.

You could even use this to drive tension. Your protagonist is used to being online 24/7, but then spooky stuff happens on their phone, and *then* they're completely cut off.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm all for going period for the sake of mood/story/feeling/atmosphere if that's what you want your work to be, even if that setting isn't inherent to the story. It only becomes a problem if you're overly cloying with it ala Ready Player One and it detracts from the narrative. I just don't think you should feel your hands are tied by modern technology if you do want to place it in the present.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

I’ve been staying in a few different cities this week where my phone straight up didn’t work in my accommodation and I was informed to walk down to the local corner store if I wanted cell reception. It’s definitely still a thing in New Zealand as well as my hometown in the US. But at the same time everyone’s also gotten rid of their landlines, so if anything it feels more isolated.

There’s also power outages and dead batteries. A property of the ghosts/supernatural poo poo could be draining batteries, as touched upon upthread. It’s something people are totally willing to roll with and can be used to introduce extra fear and anxiety to your protag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

feedmyleg posted:

Hm, yeah I tend to be a very visual writer; I imagine the scene in my head and then try to translate it into words. Maybe I'm just trying to do too much work for the reader and not let enough up to the imagination. A particularly egregious example from a current draft:

Based on the S&W I can see breaking that up into more paragraphs, but stylistically I feel like a good amount of the mood would be missed if I cut out some of those action details.

Ever try writing something more visual? A short movie or even maybe a comic book?