Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah a lot of people are like "wouldn't this get super corrupt without oversight" and the answer is yes, it would, the first wave literally got co-opted by a crazy objectivist guy because candidates were selected for intelligence and ability to shoot things and not for respect or empathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Playing injustice and the only costume i really want (banes traditional knightfall costume) is unlocked through some lovely microtransaction phone game and warner brothers id which doesn't even work anymore.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If nothing else, the physical worldbuilding in The Division is exemplary, it’s probably the most ‘real’ realised cityscape I’ve travelled in all my gaming.

I just finished Homefront Revolution and that was another remarkably built environment, the Cryengine can still do some impressive poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bewilderment posted:

Yeah a lot of people are like "wouldn't this get super corrupt without oversight" and the answer is yes, it would, the first wave literally got co-opted by a crazy objectivist guy because candidates were selected for intelligence and ability to shoot things and not for respect or empathy.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If nothing else, the physical worldbuilding in The Division is exemplary, it’s probably the most ‘real’ realised cityscape I’ve travelled in all my gaming.

This is all what I like about the Division - the story starts kind of "uhhh" but it turns into some truly excellent horror as the corrupt First Wave has stirred up some real poo poo. And then there are the Cleaners, the absolute stars of the show...

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just finished Homefront Revolution and that was another remarkably built environment, the Cryengine can still do some impressive poo poo.

HR was Philadelphia as brought to you by GIS. It looked nothing like the city outside of the street signs, and making the shining city of Camden across the north/south running Ben Franklin bridge is stunningly ignorant of actual geography. If you're going to tout that your game takes place in a specific city, at least read its drat wikipedia page!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, the Division moves on from the Rioters pretty quick and the enemies end up being the garbagemen, riker’s escapees, and mercs for most of the game. And a lot of the factions get fleshed out a lot with the audio logs.

And the Cleaners, who are Hard Men Making Hard Decisions, only they're the wrong decisions and actively counterproductive as well as morally horrific.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

The Lone Badger posted:

And the Cleaners, who are Hard Men Making Hard Decisions, only they're the wrong decisions and actively counterproductive as well as morally horrific.

On the other hand, they're also sanitation workers who became flamethrower-toting fire truck-worshipping cultists because of a guy who used to call into radio shows with conspiracy theories about the government, and he decided that the best way to fight the infection is to burn everything. That's a pretty good concept for an enemy faction. There's a bit more to the Cleaners than "Hard Men Making Hard Decisions," and boiling them down to just that seems too simplified. It's true, but it's leaving out some things. Yes, the second part of your sentence does expand on it, but I've always assumed that "counterproductive and horrific" is just part of the "hard men making hard decisions" trope. They're doing it because nobody else can... or will! But that's because the things they're doing are usually terrible things.

Of course, my familiarity with the trope comes mostly from things like Matt Bracken and John Ringo books, and the various forum threads about them, so it's possible I'm just entirely wrong about the whole thing, because those are the worst people.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Feb 4, 2019

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm glad some people beat me to the punch on The Division, cause that's one Tom Clancy shootman story that's actually worth defending, as eh as it starts out, because it tears down a bunch of the government secret agent fantasy pretty hard and fast once you're a little way in. They don't even try to backhandedly go "But you're still the goodest guys, make everything right SHD hero guy!" like a lot of rah rah america things will, it pretty much ends on "Wow, government special agent types with absolute authority are a bad idea." along with condemning preppers and those sort with guys like the Cleaners and amoral career army man types with the Last Man Battalion.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s a good story for a simple video game but if you want a real work of art play Spec Ops: The Line.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

I'm glad some people beat me to the punch on The Division, cause that's one Tom Clancy shootman story that's actually worth defending, as eh as it starts out, because it tears down a bunch of the government secret agent fantasy pretty hard and fast once you're a little way in. They don't even try to backhandedly go "But you're still the goodest guys, make everything right SHD hero guy!" like a lot of rah rah america things will, it pretty much ends on "Wow, government special agent types with absolute authority are a bad idea." along with condemning preppers and those sort with guys like the Cleaners and amoral career army man types with the Last Man Battalion.

Yeah, the good guys in it are the primarily civilian JTF which is a smattering of national guard guys with cops, firemen, other emergency workers, and anyone who can really contribute adding on. For most of the game you’re doing what they tell you to do instead of being the super cool government shootman saving the day yourself.

I think the misstep the game made was calling the enemies in the tutorial area “looters”, which is a term that’s pretty loaded in the US but the European dev team probably didn’t give a second thought to. They also have a bunch of signs on the streets pointing ambulances to “A and E” entrances instead of calling it an ER, which is the one thing that really felt out of place in their model of NYC.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'd forgotten how demanding Hyrule Warriors could be when I bought the Switch version earlier, trying to capture a base when 3 different NPC's are complaining about stuff while a boss is bombarding my main HQ and the enemy commander and a separate squad of elite troops are advancing in different directions, it's fine on the missions when you can take control of your AI partners but every story mission just becomes me making mad dashes from base to base as stuff constantly needs attending to.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm really enjoying the PS4 Amplitude but the song unlock system is terrible. I've finished the campaign on expert but to unlock the full library I need to complete 37 more songs in Quickplay - which means playing songs I've already beaten repeatedly.

Just give me an unlock all cheat code already! :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I finished my first run-through of the RE2 remake, and it's pretty drat exceptional all around. Some inventory battling, but the upgrades came along faster than I expected so it wasn't that bad.

The little thing really dragging it down for me was the insistence on those dumb 3-letter combination locks, keeping track of scattered clues tying into those just feels like stupid busywork and a relic of older design that they should've changed. Later on there's a repeated set of puzzles where you have to do mini puzzles to unlock a few things, doing something like those (that take some thought rather than just wandering around to the right clue) is so much more fun.

It really is solid though, aside from that, and I hope we get more remakes at this level of polish *cough*4*cough*

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm really enjoying the PS4 Amplitude

HOLD UP WHAT

My little thing dragging the game down is that I didn't know about this.

E: my little thing dragging the game down is looking at the song list and not seeing any of the originals on there

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Queen Combat posted:

HOLD UP WHAT

Go to the PSN store using a browser, add the PS+ games to your library, Amplitude for the Ps3 will be available for the Ps4.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

HOLD UP WHAT

My little thing dragging the game down is that I didn't know about this.

E: my little thing dragging the game down is looking at the song list and not seeing any of the originals on there

Honestly the in house dance music is probably better than the original score. I miss Bowie but I can live without slipknot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KH3 has a good spread of minigames and alternate control sections but they're not very fun and they go on for too long. The concept is neat but the execution leaves more to be desired. Toy Story: Piloting toys to fight other big action figures with Pirates of the Carribean: The ship combat isn't that great and the camera doesn't feel right either. And the dogfight with the giant heartless doesn't control how I'd like either. I mean it feels less responsive then Sly Cooper or Crash Bandicoot 3's attempts at it. Frozen: The shield sliding bit seems like it goes on way too long as well.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel that the Pirates of the Carribean part was (do I even need to spoiler this?) the best middle finger to Ubisoft I've ever seen. "Yeah I played this Assassins Creed game for an hour...the tailing mission sucked but the three minutes of boat combat I played was very fun. Lets put that in and cut out all the tailing" is how I imagine Nomura came up with the whole segment

my big issue with KH3 was the part of the ending where they make the biggest, dumbest reveal, giving a reason for why xigbar's ENTIRE existence throughout the series was justified, and right as they get to the loving chest they've been hyping up the whole game, it basically cuts to an ad for a game that isn't coming out for the next two console generations

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil 2 is excellent, though like many Resident Evil games the earliest zone is the most appealing because of its grounded and domestic nature. The first half of the game takes place in a police-station overrun with zombies. You navigate the place from top to bottom, cleaning it out of resources and puzzles and then getting chased by a persistent bouncer in a fedora. Every room is lovingly handcrafted, and then showered in blood and viscera. It's great.

The second-half of the game is more straight-forward romp through a sewer and a secret-lab. There's no drop in quality like the Salt Mines from RE7, but maybe a future game could offer two major-locations before ending

Apparently the most interesting parts of RE4 are at the end? I've only beaten the Brown Village and haven't seen any midgets.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apparently the most interesting parts of RE4 are at the end? I've only beaten the Brown Village and haven't seen any midgets.

No that's the middle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The movement AI in Kenshi is pretty rear end and its incredibly frustrating in a world where there is something deadly around every corner, and your dudes just decide they want to stop moving arbitrarily. Often smack in the center of a bunch of bandits.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

No that's the middle.

Correct, also a pro tier username/post combo

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

PubicMice posted:

Pokemon doesn't use any kind of evolution, it's metamorphosis, and this is a weird complaint.
leveling your pokemans then breeding them leads to kids with higher stats
That's literally Lamarckian evolutionary theory: that the traits you work at in life will be inherited by your offspring and is dead, dead wrong even though it makes for more satisfying gameplay

The actual in-game "evolution" poo poo is just plain fantasy poo poo of course

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That's literally Lamarckian evolutionary theory: that the traits you work at in life will be inherited by your offspring and is dead, dead wrong even though it makes for more satisfying gameplay

I mean if you're looking for things biologically wrong with Pokemon breeding, that is not at all where I would start, but sure.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

That's literally not how it works. Like, at all.

The "genetic" part of a Pokemon is their IVs, or Individual Values. These are heritable by offspring and cannot be changed by any means besides certain rare items.

The worked traits, EVs, are what get stronger based on how you train your Pokemon. These do not get inherited at all.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
(Breeds a ghost from a kitten whose father is a whale)

"Modern evolutionary theory says this is impossible!"

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

(Breeds a ghost from a kitten whose father is a whale)

"Modern evolutionary theory says this is impossible!"

Like 20 years since gold and silver and a kangaskhan still pops out of an egg fully grown with another child in its pouch. I think they embrace the stupitity of it.

Still wanted a kangaskhan pre-evolution though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Pokemon made through breeding do inherit moves their parents learned, though. So that part's Lamarckian evolution.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

epigenetics, my man. If you feed a rat and make it hella fat, methylation of DNA alters gene expression, and makes its kids fatter

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

you have a shameful understanding of pokemon

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My complaint about The Division is that any time someone talks they do it for twice as long as they should, or in the case of the collectable recordings three to four times.

Ubisoft must pay their writers by the word.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Eh, the Island is neat but like other people have said the middle part of the game in Salazar's castle is the highpoint.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The island has the regeneradores which are prime scary resident evil

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

The island has the regeneradores which are prime scary resident evil

Oh yeah, that and weird stuff like "thing trapped in bag" are creepy as hell, especially in relation to the rest of the game. But that's pretty localized, nothing gets as batshit insane as the castle section.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think the village is really good in RE4 as well, but Salazar is such a fun villain it makes the castle the high point by a mile.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The island is when it really ramps up to full on action movie punctuated by terrifying regenerator horror sequences, and in my opinion was an outstanding way to wrap up the game

However, the castle is and always will be the best part of RE4.

Man, that whole game is just loving outstanding. So many memorable set pieces strung together for 15 hours straight that it's hard to think of any bad parts for the sake of this thread. I guess the Matilda is a stupid unlockable weapon? Does that count? Also, I guess the fact that it tends towards giving you ammo for weapons you use more can mean that you never use the TMP for your first 5 playthoughs, like I didn't, or that you can end up with more rifle ammo than you want for the first half of the castle.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
RE4 is basically the perfect game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Riatsala posted:

The island is when it really ramps up to full on action movie punctuated by terrifying regenerator horror sequences, and in my opinion was an outstanding way to wrap up the game

However, the castle is and always will be the best part of RE4.

Man, that whole game is just loving outstanding. So many memorable set pieces strung together for 15 hours straight that it's hard to think of any bad parts for the sake of this thread. I guess the Matilda is a stupid unlockable weapon? Does that count? Also, I guess the fact that it tends towards giving you ammo for weapons you use more can mean that you never use the TMP for your first 5 playthoughs, like I didn't, or that you can end up with more rifle ammo than you want for the first half of the castle.

I went into the final boss fight with something like 30 rifle bullets and no spare handgun ammo. Yes I'm using the rifle a lot but that's because you won't give me bullets you bastard

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I played through it just before the RE2 remake and honestly, I just had more pure fun despite it showing its age. New RE2 is fantastic but RE4 still has the strongest design in the series imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Calaveron posted:

:hmmyes:

My favorite thing in RE4 was I wandered onto the farm and realized I could equip an egg. I threw it at the farmhouse which caused the nearby ganado to come out of the building. They don't take kindly to egging.

Oh woops, this is the dragging things down thread. The thing dragging down RE4 is that I played it 100% and can never recreate the feeling of playing such perfection ever again.

Leal has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Feb 5, 2019