Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Cnidario posted:

Long story short: my carry started blaming me after repeatedly giving me contradictory directions (when he wanted me to ult), and I made the mistake of trying to defend myself (bad decision, but better than ignoring him?). Then it just spiraled from there.

what you want to do is something like "my bad, how can i do better for you" and if they give you more stupid directions and then blame you for losses just ignore them. another thing to consider is if your lane is truly a lost cause to just leave the lane and support people who are doing well - helping mid, for example, by ganking and getting a kill. walking with the jungler to kill the enemy at their blue/red(whichever is on bot side for you). stuff like that. do not let yourself get shackled to a cement block and dumped in the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Never say anything in ranked, never give your team more reason to fly off the handle.

Defending yourself is tantamount to flaming as far as most people are concerned, unless you can fully explain why you didn't come fight with them in the river while pushed under your tower at 6 minutes in a way that doesn't imply they're an idiot for taking that fight in the first place.

Also speaking as a bot laner, don't let your ADC decide when to fight. Especially if they're also trying to backseat play your champ for you.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 2, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

pog boyfriend posted:

what you want to do is something like "my bad, how can i do better for you" and if they give you more stupid directions and then blame you for losses just ignore them. another thing to consider is if your lane is truly a lost cause to just leave the lane and support people who are doing well - helping mid, for example, by ganking and getting a kill. walking with the jungler to kill the enemy at their blue/red(whichever is on bot side for you). stuff like that. do not let yourself get shackled to a cement block and dumped in the river.

should keep in mind that a lot of psychos who play support (everyone) will do this too when you like, miss three cs, so make sure your threshold for abandoning your lane is real high

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Verviticus posted:

should keep in mind that a lot of psychos who play support (everyone) will do this too when you like, miss three cs, so make sure your threshold for abandoning your lane is real high

my threshold is, and has always been "i can no longer do anything to keep this player alive". if they are suiciding, i can lead a horse to water but can not make it drink, i am just going to go lead some tigers to water you feel me. shout out to tigers. i think they are endangered?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'll stick with a cement block until they lose us the tower. At that point they can farm at the second tower and I can try to get mid or top some kills to make up for their being a total poo poo. If they get dove repeatedly under second tower good for them, I don't care, they're not worth gold anyways and they're distracting the super fed enemy bot lane while we push down mid tier 2.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

You can also just play Aram and have Fun all thé time.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

uguu posted:

You can also just play Aram and have Fun all thé time.

nice accent. canadian spotted.?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Thé canada of europe.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

uguu posted:

Thé canada of europe.

Denmark?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Dancer posted:

Denmark?

Not enough native genocide.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Not enough native genocide.

There are some parallels.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thanks Vermain for the breakdown on keystones.

What's the state of boots these days? I hate being slow and think mobility is about as important as it can possibly get in this genre so I usually pick up Boots of Swiftness on every champion over Berserker's/Lucidity/Tenacity -- but I'm not sure if that's actually a good idea. It looks like the stats on the other boots got buffed, especially the attack speed on Berserker's Greaves.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
what role are you talking about

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Thanks Vermain for the breakdown on keystones.

What's the state of boots these days? I hate being slow and think mobility is about as important as it can possibly get in this genre so I usually pick up Boots of Swiftness on every champion over Berserker's/Lucidity/Tenacity -- but I'm not sure if that's actually a good idea. It looks like the stats on the other boots got buffed, especially the attack speed on Berserker's Greaves.

remember, most characters have two feet so you will want to get two boots. however, there is a famous exception to the rule — cassiopeia is a snake, who has no feet, and therefore does not build boots :eng101:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

remember, most characters have two feet so you will want to get two boots. however, there is a famous exception to the rule — cassiopeia is a snake, who has no feet, and therefore does not build boots :eng101:

why does nami have boots :colbert:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

She has tiny Legless Lizard feet.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

disney magic

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I hate being slow and think mobility is about as important as it can possibly get in this genre so I usually pick up Boots of Swiftness on every champion over Berserker's/Lucidity/Tenacity -- but I'm not sure if that's actually a good idea.

It's not. Swiftness is only a minute increase in effective mobility compared to the other options, and they're only really worth it in a small number of cases (needing to not be kited as melee and playing Jhin because he has insane scaling movespeed bonuses and benefits less from the ASPD). Sorc's/Berserker's are the main offensive boots, Merc's/Tabi's are the main defensive, and Lucidity/Mobis are used in specific cases (you need a lot of CDR and aren't building CDR items/you want to roam an awful lot early).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Movespeed has pretty hefty diminishing returns, too.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Isn't it actually canon that she wears boots like a hat

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Minrad posted:

She can only buy the Hextech Bootblade

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

She puts them on her hands. I don't know why, she's weird.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Minrad posted:

If you search 'hat' as nami you get boots yes

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Finished last season gold V. Placed silver 4. Heh

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still trying to get used to Sylas in ranked. It's kinda hard to change your playstyles depending on the ult you get. I would say the best ults are the engage ones you can set up your team and burst one dude out.

Neeko is also still fun imo. She is super easy to play but you do need good dmg on your team, her ult is so strong in late game teamfights.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Libertine posted:

She can only buy the Hextech Bootblade

welcome back,

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

pog boyfriend posted:

welcome back,

cheers, i've got about 2.5 years of rust but I'm tryin' to get it back.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's a name I haven't seen in a long-rear end time.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Vermain posted:

It's not. Swiftness is only a minute increase in effective mobility compared to the other options, and they're only really worth it in a small number of cases (needing to not be kited as melee and playing Jhin because he has insane scaling movespeed bonuses and benefits less from the ASPD). Sorc's/Berserker's are the main offensive boots, Merc's/Tabi's are the main defensive, and Lucidity/Mobis are used in specific cases (you need a lot of CDR and aren't building CDR items/you want to roam an awful lot early).

I usually grab swifties on Janna because I hate getting tagged with some AoE and immediately losing all my bonus like with mobility boots.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

swift ones are underrated and overrated simultaneously, being unduly trashed by some and built blindly and incorrectly by others. they have their place, understand that if your movespeed is that important that you are willing to buy inefficient boots they are an option . ask yourself how much your character needs that extra move speed, though.

E: another consideration. if your champion slows itself, swift ones get an extra power boost.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 4, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Janna is a great example. Everyone either builds mobis or lucidity on her, but the former hits diminishing returns for MS and doesn’t interact with her passive, and the latter brings you over the CDR cap late.

I don’t think there’s many non-supports who should get them though. Garen? Udyr if you’re trick2g?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Janna is a great example. Everyone either builds mobis or lucidity on her, but the former hits diminishing returns for MS and doesn’t interact with her passive, and the latter brings you over the CDR cap late.

I don’t think there’s many non-supports who should get them though. Garen? Udyr if you’re trick2g?

Singed situationally, if slows are gonna be more of a problem than hard CC.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
If you are vs Nasus do they decrease the total wither time or just the movespeed part

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

If you are vs Nasus do they decrease the total wither time or just the movespeed part
Slow resist reduces the effectiveness of slows, not the duration. Tenacity reduces the duration.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Ok does it reduce the effectiveness of the attack speed slow even

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

No, only the movement speed portion is reduced.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

Ok does it reduce the effectiveness of the attack speed slow even

I believe so- similarly, I don’t think you can slow an ulting Yi’s attack speed

Edit: guess I’m wrong!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

kingcobweb posted:

Vi

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

kingcobweb posted:

Nah, even Trick buys Tabi/Mercs on Udyr because they're the only boots worth buying on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

kingcobweb posted:

Janna is a great example. Everyone either builds mobis or lucidity on her, but the former hits diminishing returns for MS and doesnt interact with her passive, and the latter brings you over the CDR cap late.

I dont think theres many non-supports who should get them though. Garen? Udyr if youre trick2g?

Jihn wants Swifties cause he scales better with them. Singed was mentioned offhand and I can see the reasoning there. I'm blanking on most anyone else who wants them, though.