Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Motronic posted:

You're not asking too much of tires, but you are asking way too much of all seasons.

My go-to on road and off road combo are BFG KO2s, but those are gonna be way more than you want to spend. In reality, any all terrain is going to romp a set of all seasons off road. I'd look at reviews carefully for road noise and on road performance/wear.

Wow, those aren't outrageously above my budget, honestly.

Since the main concern is not getting stuck, is this a situation where I could put those on the drive wheels and normal tires on the steer wheels? If so we have a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
What would cause a battery to read 0 volts? Obviously I need to buy a new one, but there doesn't seem to be any damage to it. Car did not sit for long, and the weather has been mild.

Edit: car is an '05 Imprezza I've had for 14 months. Battery has a 2016 sticker on it. Car started fine the last time I drove it

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 4, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

internal short circuit due to deep discharge, it doesn't take long. Batteries are heavily dependent on either regular use or maintenance charging.

How long is "not long"?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

0 volts? Dang.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Like two or three days. Though it took a week for me to get a multimeter.

Guess I should get the alternator checked out as soon as I can drive to a shop.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Javid posted:

Wow, those aren't outrageously above my budget, honestly.

Since the main concern is not getting stuck, is this a situation where I could put those on the drive wheels and normal tires on the steer wheels? If so we have a winner.

I mean, you could, but consider that if your all-seasons can't get you moving, they're also going to have extremely limited ability to steer or stop you.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Speleothing posted:

Like two or three days. Though it took a week for me to get a multimeter.

Guess I should get the alternator checked out as soon as I can drive to a shop.

Welp, a bad diode in an alternator can drain a battery within a minute to what you say. Blew my mind once I found one that did it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Javid posted:

Gonna re-ask a question from the summer for more feedback:

Are there tire designs/varieties that will, on a RWD van, give me a meaningful improvement in unpaved road or off-road traction, but NOT be

* significantly larger and (presumably) heavier (turding up my already terrible MPG)
* noisy on asphalt (this alone isn't necessarily a dealbreaker since I doubt they'll drown out the v8 I'm sitting next to)
* significantly more expensive (Rather not break $125 a corner as a ballpark, generic tires at wally world or Schwab start around half of that)

Size is 235/70/15 iirc. I have four nearly bald all-seasons and one pristine full-sized spare, so I'm either gonna get 3 matching all-seasons and have the least hosed current tire as my spare, or 4 off-road tires if that's viable. This thing has no lift as such but it has enough ground clearance to crawl under it and work on most things without jacking it up. Ground to body is ~12 inches, the oil pan and rear diff are lower but that's it.

E: I'm fully aware it's possible I'm asking too much of tires here.

If you can go a wee-bit bigger and can up your budget by 60 bucks you can get a set of four BF Goodrich KO2s instead of cheap-o garbage stuff, in cart they show a price of 139.55 a tire with free shipping. I love these tires and this is always where I buy them. Plus, white letters!

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/bf-goodrich-lt235-75r15-tire-all-terrain-t-a-ko2-63647/_/R-BDKZ-63647

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Fuel or spark.

Or something really loving weird with the transmission, but I’d look at the first two first. Do you have a scan tool to see if it has any hidden codes?

So after some testing it appears the car is intermittently going into "limp mode". Why it's limping is beyond me. I'm taking it to a friend's shop later this week to see why it wants to limp. He guessed, based on what I told him, that it was the coil packs. We shall see Wednesday.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nitsuga posted:

I've been having some difficulties getting into first gear on my 2009 Honda Fit. I'll be at a stoplight, and when it's time to launch sometimes it just won't drop in. It started doing this last year, so I got the transmission oil changed on it, but that hasn't seemed to help. To clarify, it works most of the time, but not all of the time. Any ideas on what could be going on?

As a workaround, I've been launching from second in these cases. I'm guessing that's not great for the clutch and all that, but is there anything else I'm putting wear on?

Sorry to revive this on everybody, but it's been acting up some more now. I have been able to get it most of the time putting it in second then going into first before launching. Is it the synchros or something like that?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Untrustable posted:

So after some testing it appears the car is intermittently going into "limp mode". Why it's limping is beyond me. I'm taking it to a friend's shop later this week to see why it wants to limp. He guessed, based on what I told him, that it was the coil packs. We shall see Wednesday.

If it's going into limp, you would have multiple codes stored and either a steady or flashing check engine light.

And limp is usually a rev limiter dropped to 2500 RPM, not a speed limiter.

You said the tach is going apeshit at the same time that it acts up, right? That sounds a lot like a failing cam position sensor to me. The older Hondas with a distributor had an ignitor module inside the distributor that would fail and cause exactly that, but you don't have a distributor or ignitor.

It could also be a coil that's intermittently shorting, but coils tend to act up pretty consistently once they get warm.

Next time it happens, try to go straight to a parts store and have them pull codes, without you shutting the engine off before they pull codes. They may find pending codes. Alternatively, get a :20bux: generic OBD2 Bluetooth reader and download Torque (if you have an Android phone). If you have an iPhone, you'll need a wifi OBD2 reader instead; not sure what apps are out there for iOS, but they're out there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 5, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Dash Command is pretty similar to Torque as far as what it gives the average user.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

STR posted:

The shuddering is either a glazed flywheel, glazed clutch, or a bad motor mount (most likely the firewall side). Or, oil on the flywheel. In any event, on a $500 beater, it's something you should just deal with (you could try replacing that mount, and it will help, but it's the most difficult one to do on a FWD car).

Get the $35 separator, if the ball joint has to come apart to replace the axle (hint: it does on most FWD cars). It makes life a lot easier. Or just drive it until it breaks. If it's only been clicking a short time, you probably have a few months left in it unless you drive on unpaved roads often.

Make sure to get a new axle seal for the gearbox when you do this. They often leak after an axle replacement (and even if it doesn't, it's a wear item that's meant to be replaced when the axle is replaced). They're dirt cheap (even OEM), and they take all of 2 minutes to replace once the axle is out. Also, break the fill plug on the gearbox free before you do anything; you're going to lose some of your gearbox oil when you remove the axle, you want to make sure you can top it back off.

Awesome, thank you! For the oil seal, I'd want one like this?

I'd be worried about a catastrophic failure if I was going to drive it until it breaks (not that I'm gonna quit driving it altogether in the meantime, just lean heavily on the motorbike for the time being). The boot was torn for a good while, like 4+ months (I know...), but to the best of my knowledge I only got noticable noise at full lock recently. It's possible it's worse than I think so I'm trying to go as easy on it as I could.

Good point on the gearbox oil, had forgotten about that (also a new cotter pin for axle nut).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd strongly suggest OEM over that, but only if the price point isn't too much higher. I know you guys pay a significant premium over what we do in the US, so I don't know if that's a decent price or not (that'd be reasonable for name brand aftermarket here).

But yeah that's basically the seal you want.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Oh no, started the car (08 p71) up today and it's got a P0304 code, cylinder 4 misfire. At first revving it in park or gunning it down the street would make it stop, and it would flash the light at idle, but after just a few miles it's in all the time. Checked injector and coil plugs, cleaned them, no dice. I've confirmed the injector clicks when plugged in, so it's either coil or plug, that's easy.

However, I've got to drive home for 15 miles or so tonight, freeway. Should I unplug that injector to keep from fouling my cats during that trip? There is no difference in idling sound or "steadiness" when I do so.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The PCM probably isn't smart enough to realize "oh hey that injector is showing open circuit, and it's showing a misfire on that cylinder, maybe I should change fuel trims accordingly but only for cylinder #4".

If you're paranoid, turn off overdrive and lay into it a bit on the way home.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, on the way to the hospital today it died completely, no amount of Italian tuneup would bring it back. Hence wondering if I should just unplug the injector.

Sorry for this basic-rear end question.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Died as in you're on the side of the road, or died as in that cylinder is totally dead?

If #2, then yeah, unplug the injector. Baby it on the way home, because the PCM is going to be trying to compensate for one cylinder moving only air by making the rest of that bank rich as gently caress.

You did mention it has the revised intake manifold, right?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
#2, I should have specified. And I've also got the revised manifold, cursory inspection with a flashlight this morning didn't reveal any coolant in that spark plug valley or signs of a leak.

I put new coils on it when I got it, March 2017. Just one month shy of two years. I tend to follow the 80/20 rule for cheap parts (10 coils were $45 in 2017, but I've lost the two spares) so I just grabbed three new coils for $9 a pop on Amazon, they should be waiting for me when I get home.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Was gonna say, you got the cheap coils didn't you. :haw:

I think Denso may be the OEM for Motorcraft, if you want them to last, but they're $$$$. Everytime stepdad's F-150 shits out another coil (he did the 8 coils for $35ish deal), I tell him to swap on one of the originals (he threw all of them away, so I get to pull the "oh, yeah, you threw out 6 good coils" line) or order a Denso. So basically once a month now that it's been about 2 years.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, Denso is the OEM for those piles of poo poo.

Cripes just reading this thread is jinxing my truck.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, if any coils were expected to go, #4 is it. The heater core hose goes right over the top of it, and even though I replaced the heater core hose when I picked it up, it still droops when hot and can actually touch the coil if you're not careful with wire wrapping. So, yeah. It's been baked.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Queen Combat posted:

To be fair, if any coils were expected to go, #4 is it. The heater core hose goes right over the top of it, and even though I replaced the heater core hose when I picked it up, it still droops when hot and can actually touch the coil if you're not careful with wire wrapping. So, yeah. It's been baked.

Yeah, everytime I get a stumble/check engine I pray to the gods..."Please don't be #4 please don't be #4" but that's on a truck and well your CV is trivial compared to it.

But it's funny, the heater hose being the cause.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
New coil from AutoZone fixed it. Maybe this is the reason from my drop from 20 to 14 mpg the last month? A dying coil? IDK.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Oh drat is this how much power the car is supposed to have?

An illness that slowly takes over can be nearly unnoticed I guess.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
This is a bit of a specific question...

I have heard that volvos from the 1970s to the 1980s had an overdrive.

Specifically an Laycock Overdrive.

However, what I have not been able to find is a lot literature on the overdrive itself...

Is there any literature out there specific to Laycock overdrives? Or do I have to pickup a workbook specific to the car that had that specific overdrive?
(I have heard Laycock made an "A", "D", "LH", and "J" type over drive.

I am particularly interested in A-type or J-type over drive at this time.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Can reusing torque-to-yield head bolts cause head gasket failure-like symptoms? Or is it just a matter of not wanting them to break?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Grakkus posted:

Can reusing torque-to-yield head bolts cause head gasket failure-like symptoms? Or is it just a matter of not wanting them to break?

It wouldn't be "like", it would literally cause a head gasket failure. The gasket can't do it's job if it isn't being clamped properly, and I would not expect reused TTY bolts to clamp properly anymore.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Car: 85 VW Scirocco 5 speed.

It was 10°F today. When I tried to start the car, I turned the key and got nothing, not even a click. After a few more turns of the key it suddenly started, cranking normal and started the engine. The starter stayed somewhat engaged but not cranking for about 8 seconds and then finally let go.

Soooo what’s the deal? Pinion alignment problem or should I get myself a new starter ready?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

How accurate are the graphs on carcomplaints.com for determining reliability of a given model year? It's all user-submitted data, so I'm curious how well it lines up with actual industry data. I was looking at a 2010 Mazda3 and then I saw that year has the most complaints by quite a wide margin and got shook.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was the first year of the second gen, and usually first year models have more issues than later ones. No idea on how well car complaints lines up with other measures though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

(Posting here in hopes of getting more eyeballs than my project thread)

For those unaware, I'm nearing completion of an electric conversion of my 1977 Datsun 280Z. This has resulted in a change to the car's weight distribution, adding some to the rear and removing a good bit from the front. Here is front and rear ride height now:

Clearly, the front needs to be lowered a bit. But I'm NOT building this car for track/autocross/drifting/whatever. I just want a fun daily driver. So expensive fully adjustable coil over kits seem like overkill. What are my options for lowering the front end? I think the rear is fine where it is, perhaps it could come down an inch, though that's not a high priority at the moment.

It's been suggested I cut the stock springs for now, but I've also been told that's an awful idea.

(I should also note that as pictured it is with stock 14" wheels, but I plan on replacing them with 15x7". Current tires are 195/70/14, with the new wheels I'll go something like 215/60/15. This shouldn't change the outer diameter significantly but it's worth mentioning.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bawfuls posted:

It's been suggested I cut the stock springs for now, but I've also been told that's an awful idea.

Yeah, it kinda is. Sounds like "measuring what I need and buying/having them made if no suitable ones exist" is probably the right option. Compare that price to adjustables.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Yeah, it kinda is. Sounds like "measuring what I need and buying/having them made if no suitable ones exist" is probably the right option. Compare that price to adjustables.

Agreed on all counts. Coilovers may seem like overkill but most vehicles don't have a wide range of springs to choose from that will fit in the factory location, and your car is now an extreme outlier for Z-car weight / distribution. Consider that most lowering springs are set up with spring rates for a much heavier nose, so while a normal drop spring will lower that a bit, it will also probably be way too stiff.

Coilovers will let you adjust both the spring perch height and the spring rate.

Alternatively, shove more batteries in the nose.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I posted the same question on the HybridZ forums as well, and the two recommendations were either a full custom coil over kit from someone like BC (looks like ~$1250), or an adjustable spring kit like this one from Cosmo. This Cosmo kit allegedly will not need modification and will sit in the stock perch, but will make for a harsh ride.

Help me understand how coil overs can allow adjustable spring rate with the same spring? Is it as simple as how much or how little you pre-load the spring?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Wasn't there a mega-thread for people looking to buy a new / used car? Looking for suggestions in terms of models or what to look out for. I can't seem to find it, can someone point me to the right direction?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

obi_ant posted:

Wasn't there a mega-thread for people looking to buy a new / used car? Looking for suggestions in terms of models or what to look out for. I can't seem to find it, can someone point me to the right direction?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I posted the same question on the HybridZ forums as well, and the two recommendations were either a full custom coil over kit from someone like BC (looks like ~$1250), or an adjustable spring kit like this one from Cosmo. This Cosmo kit allegedly will not need modification and will sit in the stock perch, but will make for a harsh ride.

Help me understand how coil overs can allow adjustable spring rate with the same spring? Is it as simple as how much or how little you pre-load the spring?

You would need to adjust spring rate by swapping the spring - but any given coilover should have a solid selection of springs available, since the springs are now just custom fit to the shock assembly, not the car. The Viking coilovers going on my C10, for example, have springs available in free lengths from 4" to 14", and spring rates from 80lb to 850lb.

The preload / shock perch height lets you set the ride height (within a range) independently of the spring rate and spring length.

Edit: I don't know if coilovers largely standardize on any one dimension, but Summit Racing literally has 1487 different coil springs listed with a 2.5" inside diameter.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 7, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So I guess the next steps would be to get the weight at each wheel, and measure how much drop exactly I want, then I can turn those numbers into spring length/rate requirements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is more to picking a spring / damper combo than that, you might want to call someone like Ground Control and see what they'd recommend. I am guessing those BCs need to be welded to your existing knuckle and do not include one already.