Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The borders of the Holy Roman Empire make a lot of sense if you imagine it as a sort of discrete dynamical system governed by the laws of Salic patrimony and partible inheritance. With each generation the territories are subdivided or passed on to next of kin. The random effect of varying heir survival in each generation is going to tend to make the average feudal demesne decrease, while the largest territories increase in size. It seems counter intuitive that by constantly subdividing territories we should expect a few to get even bigger, but assuming random inheritance with a finite population of heirs in each generation, and it is what we would expect.

A system where inheritance rather than military force is the primary regulator of territorial control can explain the fragmentation of polities within the HRE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

A system where inheritance rather than military force is the primary regulator of territorial control can explain the fragmentation of polities within the HRE.
also germans believed then and probably still do today that the best guarantor of their rights is a frankly worrying commitment to legalism

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jazerus posted:

and the colors don't all represent a single polity - some are categories. for example there are many ecclesiastical states that are all represented as dark blue/grey on the map, but which were in no way actually united

Where can I read more about these ecclesiastical states? So, these were big properties owned by various religious orders and each one managed by a church ruler answering to a church superior, basically like any other feudal structure, and by "not united" you mean they were held in bits and pieces by several different organizations none of which coordinated? How does autonomous church territory work anyway, how did the Teutonic order manage to take over all this land and also get the imperial OK to conquer Lithuania and Russia

HEY GUNS posted:

apartments in early modern paris were the same way but worse, like you'd rent a bed next to the fireplace on the second floor and then a room up the staircase and around the corner but they didn't touch. the idea of "an apartment" as a single thing that's on one floor was 18th c not 17th. (then as now, everyone in paris rents)

I assume there were still some of those divided rental situations though even through the 1700s, right? Especially at the low end of the market?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe that depending on the period it was very common for bishops or monasteries to rule regions as the temporal government/ feudal lord of the inhabitants

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Clergy could be and often were both feudal lords within the structure of the church AND as separately as a layman under the Imperial structure.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

Where can I read more about these ecclesiastical states? So, these were big properties owned by various religious orders and each one managed by a church ruler answering to a church superior, basically like any other feudal structure, and by "not united" you mean they were held in bits and pieces by several different organizations none of which coordinated? How does autonomous church territory work anyway, how did the Teutonic order manage to take over all this land and also get the imperial OK to conquer Lithuania and Russia

The Teutonic Knights, I can't tell you much about, other than that Frederick II issued the Golden Bull of Rimini confirming their rule over Prussia.

But most of the ecclesiastical states were states that were ruled by a Prince-Bishop, a Prince-Abbot, or a Prince-Provost. These were religious leaders...a Bishop or an Abbot, who was also secular ruler over the state. So, for instance, one of the ecclesiastical states of the HRE was the Archbishopric of Bremen (not to be confused with the Free City of Bremen, which ruled itself). The state of the Archbishopric of Bremen contained about a third of the Archdiocese of Bremen, and it was under the direct secular rule of the Bishop, who was advised by his council, and he had the right, as Prince, to collect taxes and tolls, administer justice, and do all the same things any other Prince or Duke in the HRE could do. He also, as Archbishop, had certain rights and responsibilities in the Church, separate from his secular rights and responsibilities.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

(not to be confused with the Free City of Bremen, which ruled itself)
distinct from the imperial court, which owned itself

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

King John of Robinhood fame's younger son Richard was elected King of Germany and crowned Emperor of Rome. He paid so little attention to this, he was only actually in Germany a couple of times. His successor was the first Habsburg Emperor, who I think was elected at least partially in response to him being some random nobody, who wouldn't run off back to England after being crowned.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 4, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Some absolute madman uploaded a picture of a scale model of the Zell am Harmersbach train station to the German wikipedia instead of a picture of the real thing and for some reason it's the funniest thing I've ever seen. They have real pictures of just about everyfuckingthing else in the town.

quote:

Bahnhof von Zell am Harmersbach, Modell

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 4, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

It's sort of a miracle that any power internal to that mess was able to straighten it out and turn it into a modern state

I'm not sure Napoleon could be described as internal to it ;)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

Greek and English are both indo European. Surely you could have used some common roots to communicate

lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

Oh did napoleon do any sorting out? I thought he just abolished (or caused the abolishment of) the office of emperor and then Prussia and Austria spent a century sorting through the resulting mess.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh did napoleon do any sorting out? I thought he just abolished (or caused the abolishment of) the office of emperor and then Prussia and Austria spent a century sorting through the resulting mess.

The Austrian Emperor not Napoleon technically abolished the title.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

When Napoleon set up the Confederation of the Rhine, he dissolved and merged a lot of the small German states. (The Kingdom of Westphalia was huge). When the Congress of Vienna met, they restored a bunch of the smaller states, but a lot stayed dissolved or were just given to Prussia. The new German Confederation was down to 39 states from the over 300 in the HRE.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HEY GUNS posted:

ok but like

this place had castles that were owned by multiple micro-polities at once

One of the neat things about Kingdom Come Deliverance is the get into that. The main "town" has castles at either end controlled by different people (as it was at the time)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

more HRE facts: the Diet's last official act was to dissolve itself, so Napoleon couldn't crown himself Emperor. It's the "you can't fire me I quit" of geopolitics, and I love it

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

more HRE facts: the Diet's last official act was to dissolve itself, so Napoleon couldn't crown himself Emperor. It's the "you can't fire me I quit" of geopolitics, and I love it

I love how the Habsburg Archduke just decided to make his own Empire with his own Title like he was Bender.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how the Habsburg Archduke just decided to make his own Empire with his own Title like he was Bender.
the House of Austria was in a situation kind of like Brandenburg-Prussia's, where most of the stuff they ended up taking over was outside the borders of the old Empire. This is one of the things the "Big Germany" vs "Little Germany" debate in the 19th century ended up being about--do we include the people who never were in the HRE but are now in the AHE?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And Bismarck's solution was to make Prussia really big and then dare anybody to say it doesn't count as Germany

I wonder if there's any modern German-Austrian unification movements. Presumably nothing at high levels but.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

And Bismarck's solution was to make Prussia really big and then dare anybody to say it doesn't count as Germany

I wonder if there's any modern German-Austrian unification movements. Presumably nothing at high levels but.

I think that well is just a little bit poisoned from the last time they tried it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Well there was the Anschluss. That was recent.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a faction in the Freedom Party that focuses on Austrians being "culturally German" and talk about pan-Germanism, but they're a minority. (Haider, at one point, called the idea of an Austrian nationality a monstrosity, but had to walk it back).

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Does anyone in Austria even care about having an "Austrian nationality?" Anyone the EU is practically the HRE 2.0 complete with byzantine and trivially exploitable governance, so I'm not sure what Anschluss would actually accomplish in this day and age.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Squalid posted:

Does anyone in Austria even care about having an "Austrian nationality?"

Presuming not everyone in FPÖ is just talking poo poo about the Heimat, the FPÖ does. Presumably some subsection of the 1 in 4 Austrians who voted for them cares also.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine being invested in being some wacky subset of German.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Squalid and anyone else interested here is a small presentation/lesson from one of my old professors going over shellmounds/middens and anthropogenic landscapes.

Im trying to still find the crossection of the shellmound with the burials in it but Im fairly sure he got the image Im thinking about from the Hearst collection and that its not attatched to anything thats been digitized yet.

Edit: Its actually in the link, though the quality is poo poo so you can barely make the burials out. They are on stratigraphic level VI and VII with a few scattered lower. Uwe, the excavator, notes you stop getting burials after that but cremation basically replaces it and you start getting ash and burnt human remains in the above levels.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 4, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Squalid posted:

Does anyone in Austria even care about having an "Austrian nationality?" Anyone the EU is practically the HRE 2.0 complete with byzantine and trivially exploitable governance, so I'm not sure what Anschluss would actually accomplish in this day and age.

Totally pointless grand gestures in the name of nationalism have a habit of being inexplicably popular.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Totally pointless grand gestures in the name of nationalism have a habit of being inexplicably popular.

It’s how the British Monarchy makes a living.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Swiss German shall rise to the global language and culture, mark my words.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

It would enrage Northern Germans, who already hate the thought of Bavaria being part of our nation. If Austria managed to negotiate a new Anschluss, tons of people would mass migrate down to the south, knife in hand, to prevent it by stabbing every single Austrian

in the face.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Does Germany still have regional animosities? Are there those who long for the return of the Kingdom of Bavaria?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bavaria is like Texas but with Germans

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

skasion posted:

This is terrifying.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm imagining ten gallon hats on top and black socks with sandals on the bottom, with pretzels in between.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
texas had a lot of german immigration in the 19th century and still has its own (dying) dialect of german

Grand Fromage posted:

Swiss German shall rise to the global language and culture, mark my words.

which one though

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

skasion posted:

I thought that was New Braunfels.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FreudianSlippers posted:

they all are, especially the bavarians

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does Germany still have regional animosities? Are there those who long for the return of the Kingdom of Bavaria?
yes and yes. all the saxons i have talked to want the kingdom of saxony back, even the communists. Hell, especially the communists

And I have some friends who are from this one little region that was taken over by Saxony a longass time ago but which doesn't speak Saxon and isn't culturally Saxon and they are STILL salty about it

edit: all of the ww1 related tombstones in the one cemetary i went to talked about "dying for the kingdom of saxony," the Reich wasn't mentioned
this implies the existence of a Saxon Airforce, which: :laugh:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 5, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

edit: all of the ww1 related tombstones in the one cemetary i went to talked about "dying for the kingdom of saxony," the Reich wasn't mentioned
this implies the existence of a Saxon Airforce, which: :laugh:

When the German Empire was set up, one of the terms was that Saxony, Bavaria, and Württemberg would each get to keep their own armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

When the German Empire was set up, one of the terms was that Saxony, Bavaria, and Württemberg would each get to keep their own armies.
maybe it's just because i know a lot of saxons but the existence of a saxon airforce will never not be funny to me